Barbour County Published Resources
This list is provided to help you find the books and records that
have been published on Barbour County. They may be available from
libraries, publishers, and book sellers. Visit your local library
and learn about interlibrary loans if you can't find the title on
its shelves. Follow the highlighted link to find author or
publishers who can give you purchase information. Additions to the
bibliography are welcome, please contact me with titles that could
be helpful to Barbour family researchers.
- 1850, 1860, 1870 Barbour County Census,Wes
- 1870 Census Barbour County WV, compiled by Joy Gilchrist and Marian
Challender, indexed. Hackers Creek Pioneer
- 1880 Barbour County Census, William Marsh, Hackers Creek Pioneer Descendants
- 1920 Barbour County West Virginia Census, compiled by Julia Ann Charlton
Stewart, Hackers Creek Pioneer Descendants
- Barbour County West Virginia: Deaths 1853-1919, Mary
- Barbour Co. WV Cemetery Headstone Readings Volume I and
Volume II, Allegheny
Family History Society, P.O.
Box 1804 Elkins, WV 26241.
- Barbour County WV Marriages 1843-1935,
- Barbour County WV Hardesty's Biographical Atlas 1882 Vol. 4
- Barbour County WV Personal property tax list for
- Barbour County West Virginia: Will Books 1 and 1 1/2,
1839-1889, Mary S. Coffman
- Barbour County, West Virginia Another Look, Philippi,
The Barbour County Historical Society, 1979.
- History of Barbour County, Hu Maxwell, 1899, McClain
Printing Co., Parsons, WV, (reprinted 1968)
- Barbour County Family History Book
- Centennial History of the Philippi Covered Bridge, 1852 - 1952, Edited and
Compiled by Eva Margaret Carnes, The Barbour County Historical Society Inc., Philippi, WV,
- John Champ Carlin and His Descendants, Frankie Meyer. Recently completed
475 pages, includes footnotes, bibliography, maps, court records and photographs, $40 postpaid.
Available from the author, contact by E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; or USMail 2235 S. Fallen Oak,
Joplin, MO 64801.
- Duckworth and Associated Families, Marian Laulis Cowgill 1996.
- Echoes of Glory, Gary Evans
- Footsteps of Our Fathers, Early Settlers of Tacy (Barbour
Co.) West Virginia, Mary Stemple Coffman & Ethel P. Stemple,
- Genealogy of Thomas Hall, Septimus Hall with added
notes by Tasker H. Williams, McClain Printing Co., Parsons,
- Descendants of Moses Hays of Augusta County,
Virginia, Terris 'Terry' C. Howard,
Seattle, Washington, 2004, 760 pages, indexed by surname.
Covers Moses Hays and Sophia Wood, and his
second wife, Sarah Petty, and his descendants from Augusta County, Virginia, including
Elizabeth Hays and John Luce; Mary Hays and Jesse Stockton; Hannah Hays and Mr. Halsey;
James Hays, Sr. and Mary Buster; Isaac Hays and Mary Mitchell; Richard Hays and Rachael Risk;
Winstead Hays and Barbara House; William Hays, Sr. and Susannah Cunningham; George Hays and Mary Vanscoy;
Susannah Hays and John Hardway; Nancy Hays and Henry Cunningham; Sarah Hays and
John Gall; Margaret Hays and John Bird; and more. Available from author : Terris 'Terry' C. Howard, 6535 Seaview Ave NW #303B, Seattle, WA 98117-6051
- Good Ol' Golden School Days, Memories of Barbour County, West Virginia
One-room Schools, compiled by Linda McGhee Hepler, a project of a Philippi School
class contains interviews with former teachers and pupils and old photographs. May be available
for purchase at the Philippi Public Library.
- The Males of Barbour County, West Virginia, Bernard Victor Mayhle,
Seattle, Washington, 1983, 167 pages. (The University of West Virginia in Morgantown has a
- Descendants of Jacob Nester 1761-1844,3rd edition, April 1983, Carl K. Nestor,
P.O. Box 4, Wolf Summit, WV 26462. Printed by: Morgantown Printing & Binding Co., P.O. Box 850, Morgantown, WV 26505
- The Western Waters: Early Settlers of Eastern Barbour
County, West Virginia, Violet Gadd Coonts, 1991.
- Hardesty's West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia,
(originally published 1883), James Comstock, (Reprinted 1973). In Catalog of Mountain Heritage Books.
- Obituaries and Death Notices 1940-1941from The Shinnston News,
Shinnston, Harrison County, West Virginia Includes more than 300 obituaries and death
notices and is name indexed. Contact: N. L. Kotowski, PO Box 9208 Clarksburg, WV 26301 Haddeleigh@aol.com
- Inventory to the Historical Records Survey for West
Virginia Barbour County WV Microfilm at the Library at WVU in Morgantown.
- Hackers Creek Pioneer Descendants, 23
Run Road, Weston, WV, 26372, phone: (304)269-7091. Many good publications available on
central West Virginia.
Books1540-E Pointer Ridge Place, Bowie MD 20716.
Printing Company, 212 Main Street, Parsons, WV, 26287. New Books
and Reprints. E-mail: email@example.com, Phone numbers:
local phone 304-478-2881
long distance 800-654-7179
- Mountain Heritage BooksWide range of
WV books, will locate books for you. Catalog available. WV Vital Records Database includes
Barbour Co. Births 1853-1897; Deaths 1853-1920. E-mail or write to Bill White, Mountain Heritage Books, 101 Bryan
Drive, St. Marys, WV 26170-9623.
- S-K Publications
Census Records available: photocopies of the microfilmed handwritten records with a typed
of surnames. 1850 Census records are also available for many counties in WV and some other
states. Photocopies of the microfilmed records of the Barbour County 1860
Census: are available in the USGenWeb Archives.
Cochran 2515 10th Avenue, Parkersburg, WV 26101-5829.
- Willow Bend
Back to Barbour County Genealogy Page