Barbour County Cities, Towns and Settlements
Belington

From The History of Barbour County, West Virginia by Hu Maxwell,
published at Morgantown, WV, 1899.


The town of Belington was named for John Bealin, who moved from Philippi to that place and built a store before the war. Bealin subsequently moved to Kansas, and his building was burned during the war. The only house in the original town which is now standing is the "Aunt Polly Lemon House." The town now has 700 people, three churches, three hotels, fourteen business houses, and is the terminus of the B. & O., the W. Va. Central, and the Roaring Creek Railroads.
Back to Barbour County Genealogy Page