Barbour County Cities, Towns and Settlements
Philippi

From The History of Barbour County, West Virginia by Hu Maxwell,
published at Morgantown, WV, 1899.


The county seat of Barbour was located at the place where Philippi now stands before there was a town and before the place was named. It was then a farm belonging to William F. Wilson, and the locality had long been known as Booth's Ferry. The land was first the property of William Anglin, and in succession was owned by John Wilson, Daniel Booth, Ely Butcher, Elmore Hart, Thomas H. Hite and William F. Wilson, who divided it into lots and disposed of the most of it within a few years after the establishing of the county seat. The county was named after Philip Pendleton Barbour, and it was the intention of the county court when it selected a name for the town to honor the given name of Mr. Barbour; giving it the feminine form, however, in conformity with the Latin language. The feminine of Philip is Philippa, and it was meant that such should be the name of the town. But because of misspellings and a misunderstanding of the origin of the name (confounding it with Philippi, an ancient city) the name finally took the form which it now has. On April 5, 1843, the third day of the first county court, it is "ordered that the county seat of this county be known and called PHILLIPPA. " Except that the name had too many " l's " the form was proper, according to what was originally intended. Later the name became Philippi, but even then it was oftener misspelled than spelled correctly.

Before the town was given legal existence by act of the legislature it was laid out in lots of one-fourth acre each, and a number of them had been sold. The following list comprises all, or nearly all, of the lots sold before the town had been created by act of the legislature. All of them were sold by William F. Wilson.

Purchaser.No. of Lot. PricePurchaser.No. of LotPrice
The County (a gift)1½ acres, 16 poles --- John Overfield et al.39 $ 23
Thomas M. Hite 56 and 57 $210 Thomas A. Hoffman 26 20  50
John Bennett 36 40 Martin B. Sinsel Part of 6 & 7 100
Edwin D. Wilson 54 and 55 165 William Pickens 4 90
Solomon Jarvis 52 116 J. R. Williamson Part of 6 & 7 100
Isaiah W. Reeves 26 22 John Curry 21 50
Anthony Wells ---25Elam D. Talbott Part of 50 100
John S. Carlile 51 1 Thomas B. Curtis Part of 50 1
Elisha Finley 85 40 William Woodford 17 40
Samuel S. Montgomery 29 20 Eli Hudkins 19 33
Randolph Chenoweth 53 71 Miner Cleavenger 33 50
William Shaw 58 and 59 87 Thomas Thompson 27 and 29 45
Ludwick Day 71 25 Lewis Wilson ½ mill and lot 1
Harrison Hagans, et al.12 and 13 242 Hugh Collett 70 30

On February 14, 1844, the Virginia Legislature passed the act forming Philippi, and named the first trustees as follows: Lair D. Morrall, James L Bunbridge, William Shaw, John R. Williamson and William F. Wilson.

The law fixing the county seat stipulated that if the grounds for the court house should be acquired by gift, the quantity should not exceed two acres. Accordingly, when William F. Wilson gave the land the square contained one acre and ninety-six poles. After the establishing of the county seat, the first house built in Philippi stood where the passenger depot is now located and was built by William F. Wilson. The next, located nearly on the ground now occupied by the Commercial hotel, was built by Lair D. Morrall. John S. Carlile built the next, and Edwin D. Wilson the next. None of these is now standing. There were farm houses on the site of Philippi long before there was a town. William Anglin probably built the first house on the site of Philippi, and Moses Kinkaid the next, although this matter is not of record, depending only on traditions handed down. The families residing in Philippi in 1850 were those of:

Lair D. MorrallRobert TuttNoah Corley
Lewis WilsonHenry BarronJames Prim
William F. WilsonDaniel CapitoRev. Josiah Reeves
Spencer DaytonMrs. Elizabeth JarvisWilliam Shaw
John P. ThompsonIsaac H. StricklerA. G. Reger
Samuel WoodsWilliam SimpsonJohn S. Carlile
Edwin TuttDr. HaymondStephen B. Holt
Martin MyersCharles S. HallD. M. Myers
Daniel M. AuvilHenry ThompsonA. P. Wilson

The town of Philippi was incorporated by act of the Legislature February 1, 1871. After the town government was organized, the first ordinance passed ordered that all hogs and horses running at large should be "arrested." Four years later a similar ordinance was passed concerning geese. Following are lists of the town officers, no mention being made of the second or succeeding term of the same man, the first only being given.

Mayors
  • C. P. Thompson, 1871
  • John P. Thompson, 1873
  • Albert G. Wilson, 1874
  • Andrew Simon, 1875
  • A. P. Wilson, 1876
  • J. P. Newlon, 1877
  • Harrison Mason, 1879
  • C. C. Hovatter, 1881
  • Granville F. Grant, 1882
  • W. Chenoweth, 1885
  • Samuel V. Woods, 1886
  • D. W. Gall, 1889
  • Granville Peck, 1891
  • Charles F. Teter, 1893
  • L. D. Robinson, 1896
  • J. N. B. Crim, 1897
  • William A. Mason, 1898
  • Fred O. Blue, 1899

Treasurers
  • Isaac H. Strickler,1871
  • L. D. Morrall, 1873
  • Melville Peck, 1885
  • W. Chenoweth, 1891
  • G. E. Grant, 1893

Recorders
  • Lewis Wilson, 1871
  • Luther C. Elliott, 1877
  • J. S. Cornwell, 1881
  • L. D. Morrall, 1883
  • D, W. Gall, 1886
  • Lloyd D. Robinson, 1888
  • John W. Poling, 1890
  • Charles L. Steel, 1892
  • J. H. Knapp, 1893
  • N. I. Hall, 1896
  • A. D. W. Strickler, 1899
Assessors
  • William P. Keyes, 1871
  • W. D. F. Jarvis, 1876
  • C. C. Hovatter, 1877
  • L. D. Morrall, 1883
  • A D. W. Strickler, 1887
  • Melville Peck, 1889
  • J. H. Daniels, 1892
  • A. S. Poling, 1893
  • L. D. Robinson, 1897

Sergeants
  • StingleyShaffer, 1871
  • C. C. Hovatter, 1874
  • Solomon R. Jarvis, 1875
  • J. N. Gans, 1875
  • W. D. F. Jarvis, 1876
  • William Price, 1877
  • Andrew Simon, 1880
  • George C. Corder, 1881
  • John B. Knapp, 1882
  • John T Prim, 1882
  • William A. Mason, 1884
  • John T. Kent, 1885
  • William T. Hulderman, 1887
  • A. L. Taylor, 1887
  • G. C. Bennett, 1889
  • A. Holden, 1891
  • W. L. Chrislip, 1892
  • John H. Daniels, 1892
  • E. Holsberry, 1894
  • James P Robinson, 1896

Councilmen
  • Job H. Glascock, 1871
  • James A. Grant, 1871
  • SimonBuckingham, 1871
  • T. P. R. Brown, 1871
  • John P. Thompson, 1872
  • William T. Ice, 1873
  • A. G. Reger, 1873
  • D. F. Byrer, 1873
  • D. W. Gall, 1874
  • L. D. Morrall, 1874
  • I. H. Strickler, 1875
  • I. V. Johnson, 1875
  • T. A. Bradford, 1876
  • J. J. Newlon, 1876
  • John W. Bosworth, 1876
  • George P. Sargent, 1878
  • J. N Hathaway, 1878
  • William F. Byrer, 1879
  • Isaiah Wilson, 1879
  • James E. Hall, 1881
  • Jacob W. Robinson, 1881
  • Jehu M.Talbott, 1883
  • A. G. Dayton, 1883
  • S. T. H. Holt, 1884
  • Lewis Wilson, 1884
  • J. Hop Woods, 1885
  • G. W. Diddle, 1888
  • A. D. W. Strickler, 1888
  • W. Chenoweth, 1888
  • C. F. Teter, 1889
  • D. J. Taft, 1891
  • J. W. Conner, 1891
  • G. W. Gall, 1891
  • R. F. Rightmire, 1892
  • J. H. Felton, 1892
  • G. E. Taft, 1893
  • J. M. Proudfoot, 1894
  • Melville Peck, 1896
  • W. S. Wilson, 1896
  • Fred O. Blue, 1897
  • George L. Woodford, 1899


The Beginning — Philippi, 1861 By Ruth Woods Dayton

Photographs

  1. Philippi High School Football Team 1908
    The team poses with its pennant, can you identify any of the members.
    submitted by Stephanie Carman Durr
  2. Philippi High School Graduation Class
    A graduating class c.1908-1910, includes Crislip, Cross, Mason and Poling. Can you help with any other names?
    submitted by Stephanie Carman Durr


Back to Barbour County Genealogy Page