BROOKE COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

PROVIDED BY VISITOR'S @ THE BROOKE COUNTY WEBSITE



Biographies of Early Brooke County, VA/WV Settlers
This page was established for submission of biographies of your ancestors.

Through your posts and email links, hopefully you will find new connections.

SUBMIT BIOS HERE.


PHILIP BEALL was born in Prince George County, Maryland in 1747, an heir of an ancient Scottish family. His bloodline could be traced back to the powerful MacGregor and Campbell Clans of Scotland. As a young man he came to the King's Creek Valley (present Weirton) and took up a tomahawk claim of six hundred acres. This being the early 1770's, and Indians being numerous, Philip along with neighboring settlers endeavored to construct a fort for the safety of their families. To legalize his tomahawk claim, Philip spent his time clearing his land and tending his crops. He and his wife raised nine children to adulthood in a hard and often dangerous time. Philip Beall was reportedly a very large and strong man having inherited this trait from his predecessors, he took to pioneer life and became a successful farmer. Two of Philip's daughters married two of James Campbell's (another early settler of King's Creek) sons, Margaret marrying Robert Campbell, and Jane marrying Alexander Campbell. Philip and his wife having lived into the early 1800's, were laid to rest in Three Springs Cemetery at Hollidays Cove (now part of Weirton), their descendants still inhabit the area.


JAMES CAMPBELL was born in Scotland in 1719 and emigrated to "The Colonies" as a young man. He took as his profession the dangerous vocation of overland pack merchant. He would routinely travel across the Allegheny Mountains through Indian Territory delivering badly needed supplies and news to settlers in the frontier. James first settled in Chartiers Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania on three vast tracts of land, two of which were named Saint James, and James' Fancy. The wilderness drew James and his family west into the Kings Creek area where he marked out his "tomahawk" claims and set out improving his land. It was during this claiming process that James and his wife Patience lost their oldest son John. While being pursued by Indians, John was drowned in Harmon's Creek, and another son James Jr.narrowly escaped being captured. Despite the hardships, James and Patience settled and began farming. He built a mill on Kings Creek, (then called Indian Creek) and would guard the mill at night to ward off any Indians that might be interested in burning the mill. James eventually acquired many large tracts of land and owned several thousand acres of present day Weirton, as neighboring settlers moved on, or became uncomfortable with Indian activity and sold their land. James Campbell was an avid Presbyterian and family man and so set aside five acres of his land for the building of a church and cemetery, and donated a large sum of money for the establishment of a minister and congregation. In 1790 the new church petitioned the Redstone Presbytery for a preacher, and in November of that year the first sermon was taught at Three Springs Presbyterian Church by the Rev. John Brice. James was a successful farmer and entrepreneur and owned the land on which the Peter Tarr Furnace was built. James and Patience raised six children and brought life to many descendants, of which some are still occupying some of the original Campbell land. James Campbell died in 1805 and was buried at his beloved Three Springs Presbyterian Church. There is a Historical Marker in Weirton showing the location of the original Three Springs Church, and a dedication to James for his generosity. There is also a Historical Marker naming James as the owner of the land at the Peter Tarr Furnace.


JOHN CARMICHAEL was a soldier of the Revolutionary War. He enlisted in 1775, in the second regiment of the Pennsylvania lines under Captain Wood and Colonel Wood, for six years. He was wounded in the shoulder, leg and lost the sight in his right eye. John first came to what is now Brooke County, West Virginia and Bought property, February 6, 1797 on Short Creek. John and Elizabeth sold part of his property to John Jr. and his wife Mary on December 6, 1798. On June 26, 1809, he turned over all his property to John Jr. for serrvices and one dollar. This transaction was made so that he could apply for his invalid pension for his service in the Revolutionary War. He was awarded a pension in the amount of $60.00 per year. John went with his family around 1810 to what is now Marshall County, WV. In 1831 he moved to Monroe County, Ohio to live with his son James and family.


and Family of Ohio Co., VA,(now Brooke Co, WV);

A Father Who Served in the
French and Indian War,
and His Six Sons Who Served in the
American Revolutionary War

Copyright 1999 Julia A. (Heaton) Krutilla This material may be freely copied, but may not be sold.

Surnames: BROOME, BRUCE, COLEY, CRAWFORD, DRAPER, EDGINGTON, EGERTON, EDWARDS, GUTRIDGE, McCAUSLEN, McLAUGHLIN, MUNN, NAYLOR, PALMER, PARAMOUR, PARRAMORE, VEIRS/VIERS

Much of the early documents on this family have conflicting information but all are included so you can weigh the evidence and quality of the source.

George EDGINGTON, Sr. was supposedly born in London c1706/07, some sources say Wales, and ran away from home due to a whipping. He was discovered as a stowaway when far out to sea, came to American at the age of 15, and settled near Philadelphia, PA. There he married Margaret BROOME on 30 Jul 1743 at the 1st Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. George EGERTON is the name found on this church document.

Some secondary evidence connects his wife, Margaret BROOME with parents Thomas BROOME and Elizabeth COLEY who married 27 July 1712 at Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA.

The following is abstracted material from the Draper Manuscripts.

"George EDGINGTON, who came from London to America, settled first near Philadelphia and there married, then to Hampshire Co., VA, below the mouth of South Branch, thirty miles from Winchester. EDWARD's Fort, six miles from EDGINGTON was where the people forted. EDGINGTON went to a tub mill belonging to another EDWARDs, and there were about a dozen Dutch boys and girls also there at the mill and all had to stay overnight. The next morning, all were taken by the Indians; they tomahawked the children except two boys and EDGINGTON in the mill, and set it on fire, and started for Fort DuQuesne (Pittsburgh, PA).

After going three miles, they killed the two remaining Dutch boys. In crossing a stream, an Indian walked over a log, leading EDGINGTON, who waded and when in the middle of the stream pulled in the Indian, who when reaching the shore, aimed a tomahawk blow, which EDGINGTON partly dodging, split his nose and upper lip; the other Indian interfered and saved a repetition of the blow; tied up the wound - took him first to Fort DuQuesne, then up to Scioto, and kept him three years.

Two days after EDGINGTON was taken, his wife barely escaped being with a couple of families of eight persons, under protection of two soldiers, going to Edward's Fort; all were waylaid and killed. While he was absent, his wife, two years after, not doubting he was killed at the mill, married again; but when he returned, he kindly gave her the choice of husbands, and she chose her first."

The Compendium of American Genealogy Vol., 1, pg. 77 states "that George EDGINGTON served in the French and Indian War and lived below the south fork of the Potomac River in Hampshire County, VA."

His land transactions in Hampshire Co., VA/WV include a purchase of 200 acres on 10 August 1772 on the North River of Cacapon, and he sold it 2 October 1774 before moving to Holliday's Cove, Ohio Co., VA now Half Moon Industrial Park, Weirton, Brooke Co., WV).

The following is an abstract from "Pioneer Days, Early History of Jefferson County, OH", M. D. Sinclair, pg. 155 regarding the EDGINGTON Family:

The History of Pioneer EDGINGTON Family Reads Like Fiction - Among the many strange happenings which befell the settlers of pioneer days, adventures of the EDGINGTON family are among the most unusual.

George and Margaret (BROOME) EDGINGTON came to this country from England at a very early date and settled in Hampshire Co., VA on a grant of land given them by Lord Fairfax. Later they decided to remove from that location and went to what we now call Hollidays Cove (Weirton, WV).

They are said to have had six sons in the War of the Revolution. One of these was Thomas, born in 1744, died 1814, buried in Union Cemetery together with his wife, Martha, a son, Thomas, a daughter, Drusilla, and a son, Jesse, who was born 1779, died 1866. Also Mrs. Mary VIERS EDGINGTON born 1783, died 1852. The family lived in the red brick house which is still standing not far from the approach to the Fort Steuben bridge on the West Virginia side of the Ohio River . . . . . . The pioneers, George and Martha (Margaret, sic.) EDGINGTON, were buried in a private burying ground not far from the house where they lived in West Virginia (then VA) and recently a descendant, who is a prominent resident of Wheeling, WV, has been making an effort to locate the graves and will have the remains disinterred and placed in the EDGINGTON lot in Union Cemetery. In addition to the members already referred to there will also be found in Island Creek Cemetery, Ashiel EDGINGTON, 1760-1826 and Cassandra (VEIRS) , 1773-1828; Jesse EDGINGTON never married but was prominent among the early settlers in this district. Mrs. Martha EDGINGTON McCAUSLEN is descended on her mother's side from these old pioneers."

During the Indian depredations in the early 1780's, the EDGINGTON along with most of the valley pioneer families safely moved into Washington Co., PA. The 1783 Nottingham Twp., Washington Co., PA Tax lists include George Sr., his sons Jesse, John, Isaac, George Jr., and an unknown Norrid EDGINGTON. (With Thomas presumed dead, perhaps this Norris [an early surname in Washington Co., PA] is the widow Martha "Patty" with her maiden name, inheriting her husband's property or perhaps the new husband. He could also be an unknown son of George Sr.) George and Margaret's sons Thomas and Joseph are clearly missing from these tax records. Thomas was most likely an indian captive in the Indian towns as he is missing from 3 years of tax records and perhaps Joseph was active service with the militia as he later appears as a squatter across the Ohio River at Hart's Rock on 30 November 1785. And in the 1787 Ohio Co., VA tax records all of the EDGINGTONs return to their property in the 1787 Ohio Co., VA (WV) Tax records.

In 1788, George Sr. believing his days on this earth were soon coming to an end, gave his son, George Jr. power of attorney. This document can be found in the Ohio Co., WV(VA) Deed Book 1, pg. 209.

Unfortunately, no records have been found on Margaret BROOME EDGINGTON date of death or even much about her life.

George EDGINGTON, SR. died in 1791 age 84 at his son, Thomas's farm in Ohio Co., VA (now the Half Moon Industrial Park, Brooke Co., WV) according to Leyman Draper Manuscripts. And Mr. Draper mentions seeing the grave, crude stone and inscription as date and age were given on this same field stone.


SONS OF GEORGE EDGINGTON SR. and MARGARET BROOME All Revolutionary Veterans

Thomas EDGINGTON b. 1744 Hampshire Co., VA, d. 2 January 1814 Brooke Co., VA(WV). Served in Brady's Rangers, a spy for the Frontier Rangers, Indian captive in 1781, taken to Detroit and sold to the British. Ref: Pa Arch 6th Series, Vol. II, pg. 153; Draper Mss. 2 S 292, 293. He was reburied at the Union Cemetery, Steubenville, OH. Married Martha "Patty" ___?____. Children: Asahel, George, Mary, John, Sarah, Jesse, Rachel, Drucilla, and Thomas. A long biography on Thomas - Coming Soon!

George EDGINGTON, JR. b. c1746 Hampshire Co., VA, d. 1816, said to be buried in EDGINGTON Cemetery. While living in Holiday's Cove, Ohio Co., WV (now Brooke Co., WV) area with his brothers, Isaac and Jesse, enlisted in Capt. James MUNN's Co. of Pennsylvania militia, and participated in Col. William CRAWFORD's disastrous Sandusky expedition. Moved to Manchester, Adams Co., OH in 1791 shortly after the town was founded by Massie. About 1795 he left the stockade and settled in Sprigg Township near Zane's Trace. Pioneer to the Northwest Territory. Ref: PA Archives Series Vol. 2, pg. 41, 83; Evans's & Stivers History of Adams Co., OH, Draper Manuscripts. George died in 1816. He left his wife Mary (who was born about 1750, and was possibly a NAYLOR) and a large family (order of birth unknown). Children: John, George, Elizabeth "Tacy", Sarah, William, Mary, Absalom, Drucilla, and Abel.

Joseph EDGINGTON, b. c 1749, Hampshire Co., VA, d. April 1832, probably buried in the Aerl (Wilson) Cemetery. While living in Holiday's Cove, Ohio Co., WV (now Brooke Co., WV) area with his brothers, Isaac and Jesse, enlisted in Capt. James MUNN's Co. of Pennsylvania militia, and participated in Col. William CRAWFORD's disastrous Sandusky expedition. His nephew Jacob EDGINGTON states that on one occasion he shot a squaw he saw coming up a branch; she was "very richly dressed, wearing many silver brooches". Shortly afterwards he had his arm broken by a musket ball, recovered. About 1795 he went with his family to Massie's, and is reported to have been one of the first to settle outside the stockade. He remained in Sprigg Twp. until about 1817, when he bought land in what is now Eagle Twp., Brown Co., OH where he resided until his death in April 1832. Joseph was married twice; first to Eleanor, whose maiden name is unknown; and second on August 8, 1814, to Hannah (McLAUGHLIN) GUTRIDGE, widow of James GUTRIDGE. She survived him, dying August 2, 1845, aged 74 years, 4 months, 17 days and is buried in the Aerl Cemetery. Joseph EDGINGTON was the father of a large family - all by his 1st wife Eleanor. He did not leave a will as he disposed of his real estate prior to his death and no paper trail has been found giving all the names of his children. Known children: Ashahel, Margaret, Eleanor, George, Joseph Jr., Isaac, Joshua, Jemina, Henry, Honor, and Asa.

Isaac EDGINGTON, b. c1752 in Hampshire Co., VA, d. abt. 1836, buried Bentonville, Adams Co., OH. Pvt. on Sandusky Exp. under Col. William CRAWFORD in Capt. James MUNN's Co., Washington Co., PA Militia. Ref: PA Archives 6th Series, Vol. 2 pg. 51, 72, 84, 396; Evan's & Stivers History of Adams Co.; Draper Manuscripts 19 S 162,163. He was married c1777 to Elizabeth, maiden name unknown. He moved from Hampshire Co., VA to the then western frontier area near Ft. Henry, Wheeling, VA(WV), where he and his brothers Joseph and Jesse, enlisted in Capt. James MUNN's Co. of PA militia and served in CRAWFORD's expedition in the summer of 1782. He was for many years a scout in the Wheeling area, and was granted a tract of land in Strabane Twp., Washington Co., PA, patent dated 17 March 1787. He later sold this tract to his brother Jesse, which was recorded May 18, 1796. His son Jacob EDGINGTON says in his 1863 statement to Mr. DRAPER, that his father removed to Adams Co., in 1794. Isaac settled outside the stockade at Manchester in Sprigg Twp. along Isaac's Creek, which bears his name about the age of 84 years. He supposedly left a will, which was distroyed in the Court House fire of February 1910. He and his wife, Elizabeth are believed to be buried near Bentonville. No complete list of their children has been found, but the following are constructed from records available: Ruah Ann (Ruanna, Ruey Ann), Abraham, Isaac Jr., Jacob, Rachel, Brice Viers, Azariah, and John.

John EDGINGTON b. c1754 Hampshire Co., VA, d. 1813 Stark Co., OH. Moved from Brooke Co., VA to Stark Co., OH in 1811. Buried 1 mile west of Canal Fulton. Pvt. In Capt. James MUNN's Co., 2nd Batt. Washington Co., PA Militia, ordered to rendezvous 18th of March 1782. Ref: PA Archives 6th Series, Vol. II, pg. 36, 60, 83. Married Nancy BRUCE. Children: Aaron, John, Sarah, Mary, Rebecca, Noah, Nancy, Margaret, and Isaac.

Jesse EDGINGTON b. 1759 Hampshire Co., VA, d. July 6, 1821 Springfield Twp., Richland Co., OH, on farm 7 miles west of Mansfield, buried near Ontario, Richland Co., OH. Removed from Jefferson Co., OH near Steubenville to Richland Co., OH in 1815. Pvt. In Washington Co., PA Militia Capt. James MUNN's Co., 1782; Williamson expedition, the disastrous foray of the Sandusky Exp. under Col. Wm. CRAWFORD. Married October 5, 1779, Margaret PALMER (PARMER, PARAMOUR, or PARRAMORE). Children: Thomas, John, Levi, Isaac, Jesse, and William.

Recommended reading and reference on this family:
1. Further Materials on Lewis Wetzel & the Upper Ohio Frontier, ...
Historical Narrative of George Edgington, Jared C. Lobdell - The Edgington Family, pg. 1.
2. Pioneer Days, Early History of Jefferson County, OH, M. D. Sinclair, pg. 155
3. History of Adams Co., OH Vol. I, 1982, C. N. Thompson, 169-191
4. That Dark & Bloody River, Allan W. Eckert
5. Ohio DAR Revolutionary Rosters Vol. I & II 1929-1938
6. The Draper Manuscripts - Microfilm rented from American Genealogical Lending Library
7. PA Colonial Archives 6th Series - Microfilm rented from American Genealogical Lending Library



ALEXANDER EDIE was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania in 1739, the son of David Edie, who had come to this country from Scotland as a young man. Alexander had been blessed with an adventuresome heart, and a love of family. He was married twice and had sixteen children, eight with each wife. The frontier seemed to call to Alexander, and it wasn't long before he left the Gettysburg area, and ventured over the Alleghenies in search of a new life. He moved around western Pennsylvania for a while finally settling at "Cat Fish Camp" in the Territory of Virginia. This area is known today as the city of Washington, Pennsylvania. In the year 1781 Alexander served as Judge of Election for the office of Sheriff at Cat Fish Camp, and was appointed Justice of the Peace on July 15, 1781. In 1782 he served as Foreman of the first Grand Jury of Washington County, Pennsylvania, and was involved in the laying out of the first streets for the Village of Cat Fish Camp, (Washington,PA). On March 10, 1785, Alexander Edie received a pre-emption land grant of one thousand acres from the Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Patrick Henry. With the city of Washington growing, Alexander moved his family to a parcel of his land along Kings Creek, in present Hancock County, West Virginia, near the area known as Hollidays Cove, (present Weirton). In 1786 and again in 1789, Alexander sold large tracts of his land to another early pioneer by the name of James Campbell. Alexander then moved his family up the Ohio River a few miles to the present site of New Cumberland, WV., where he established the Edie Homestead, and many generations of Edies have flourished. Alexander's experience as Justice of the Peace and his interest in politics were past onto his oldest son John H. Edie, who served nine years as State Representative, in the Virginia Legislature, (1812-1821), served as Sheriff of Brooke County, and as Justice of the Peace of Brooke County. Alexander Edie Esq. lived to be 87 years old, and was buried in Highland, Ohio.


HERMAN GREATHOUSE LAZEAR was born in Brooke County in 1831 and grew into manhood on the farm once owned by HENRY WELLS. Following the footsteps of his father, he pursued the calling of a farmer for years. Sometime after the close of the Civil War, he moved to Wellsburg or rather to a suburb and engaged in a different line of business. He founded the town of Lazearville, now the Fourth Ward of Wellsburg. This town was on the GEORGE COX farm which he bought, laying it out in lots at different prices, according to location. Four of these lots sold for $21.00 each and the highest price lot sold for $65.00. He was one of the principal directors in getting the P.W. & Ky. branch railroad through Wellsburg in the 1870's, and he was one of the prime movers in the construction of the street car line from Wellsburg to Bethany. Inn 1886, he organized a company and built the LAZEARVILLE GLASS WORKS, which he directed for two years. He withdrew from this firm and moved to Kansas City, Mo. where he remained for two years. Returning to Wellsburg, he built the LAZEARVILLE CANNING WORKS, which, after one successful season, was destroyed by fire in 1892. Mr. LAZEAR added much to the attractiveness of the city by many improvements.


MARGARET ELLEN ROBINSON LINTON

MRS. MARGARET LINTON, 81, PASSES AWAY THIS MORNING

PROMINENT OUT-THE-PIKE RESIDENT SUCCUMBS FOLLOWING OPERATION

PIONEER SETTLER OF VALLEY --ONE OF FOUNDERS OF EDGWOOD PARK M. E.

Mrs. Margaret Ellen Robinson Linton, prominent resident of the Out-the- Pike district, died this morning [July 2, 1929] at the Ohio Valley General hospital. Death occurred at 7:55 o'clock. Mrs. Linton was in the 82nd year of her age. She succumbed to complications which developed following an emergency operation for appendicitis.

Mrs. Linton was stricken suddenly ill June 17, at her home, No.2, Locust avenue, Lenox. Her illness was diagnosed as appendicitis but owing the her advanced age, attending physicians were reluctant to operate. Thursday, June 29, however, her condition became critical and she was removed to the hospital and the appendectomy perfromed late that night. She rallied somewhat from the operation but serious complication seveloped resulting in her death. Throughout her illness Mrs. Linton displayed Christian fortitude and patience and made a heroic effort to combat the inroads of the disease from which she suffered. She was a truly noble woman and her death comes as a great bereavement not only to her family but to her large circle of friends.

Born in Buffalo, Brooke county, West Virginia, December 27, 1848, Margaret Ellen Robinson was a daughter or the late Mr. and Mrs. Israel Robinson, pioneer settlers in the Panhandle section of the state. Early in life she was united in marriage to Isaac Jackson Linton. For many years they engaged in farming in the locality now know as Linton's Addition, Elm Grove, the homestead occupying the present site of St. Marks Lutheran Church. About 35 years ago Mr. and Mrs. Linton and children purchased the Warden farm above Edgington Lane, and resided there until a few years after Mr. Linton's death, which occurred in 1906. Remaining on the farm, High View Place, several years after her husband's death Mrs. Linton, ten years ago, moved to No. 2 Locust avenue, Lenox, where she had resided continuously since.

One of Church Founders

As one of the founders of Edgwood Park Methodist Episcopal church Mrs. Linton had engaged in all activities of the church and its societies for many years. She was revered and loved by all the members and for years had been one of the mothers singled out for particular honor on Mother's Day. Mrs. Linton was honorary Mother of the Philathea Bible class of Edgwood Park church, three of her daughters being members of that class. Her work in the church has been particularly noteworthy and she will be sadly missed from the congregation to which she had long been faithful.

Mrs. Linton was the mother of 15 children. Her surviving children are: Mrs. [Mary]Elizabeth [William M] Clouston, of Martins Ferry; Misses Belle A. and Rose E. Linton, both at home; [Jessie May] Mrs.Chas. E. E. Devinney, of St. Louis, Mo.; [Isa Mathilda] Mrs. Hobert C. Nickerson, [Margaret Estella] Mrs.Wilbur E. Wallace, and [Lilian Roxanna Meek] Mrs. LeRoy Wallace, all of the pike district; Robert J. Linton of Buffalo, N. Y., and Isaac Jackson Linton, of High View Place. Twenty-three grandchildren and twelve great-grandchildren also survive Mrs. Linton. Six children preceded Mrs. Linton in death. They were Scott and William Lee Linton, Miss Effie V. Linton, [Katherine] Mrs. Reba L. [Archibald Bailey] Crosby, [Minnie] Mrs Grace [Daniel Esky] McGrath, and an infant, Jane Linton. One of a large family of children, Mrs. Linton is survived by only one brother, Smith Robinson, of Ohio. Another brother, Pierce Robinson, of this city, died in March.

The body was removed to the Kepner funeral home, 1308 Chapline street, and later will be taken home to No. 2, Locust avenue, Lenox. Funeral arrangements are incomplete, but interment will be in Greenwood Cemetery.

(Note: This obit was sent to me by Ruth Wallace McLaughlin, Margaret's granddaughter, in May of 1989. Virginia Ruth and her brother, Gordon Glen Wallace still owned "High View Place", Boggs Rd., Wheeling WVA at that time. Isaac Jackson Linton was son of William Lee Linton of Brooke Co., WVA.)


JOSEPH RALSTON-- Several stories have come down to us concerning Joseph Ralston's early life, and until I'm sure of one version being true, I won't elaborate on his youth, however, we do know that Joseph came from Scotland and had within him a pioneer's heart. Joseph settled for a short time just east of the Allegheny mountains, but it wasn't long until the lure of the wilderness brought him and his young family to the Kings Creek area,(near present day Weirton). Joseph Ralston and his sons Joseph and Samuel staked out "tomahawk claims" along Kings Creek as early as 1775, making them some of the earliest settlers in the region. Joseph saw duty in the French and Indian War, and in Dunmore's War, and he and his sons served in the American Revolution. After the war, the Ralstons returned to their land on Kings Creek and expanded their farms and homesteads. Joseph built a grain mill on the creek which lasted for generations, the area around it becoming known as Ralstons Mill. Joseph and his wife lived to a good old age and were laid to rest at Three Springs Cemetery. Both sons married and raised large families, producing generations of Ralstons living in the Hollidays Cove, Kings Creek area to the present. Joseph married Ann McCready of Hookstown, Pennsylvania, and after her death, married Sarah Greer of Caroll County Ohio. Samuel married Martha Tucker, daughter of John Tucker, the founder of the Tucker M.E. Church in Hanover Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania. Joseph and his wives are buried at Three Springs Cemetery in Hollidays Cove, West Virginia, and Samuel Ralston and his wife Martha are buried at the Tucker Church Cemetery between Florence and Paris, Pennsylvania.


WILLIAM STEVENS--was born Wilhelm Stephan in March of 1754 in Germany. He came to America with his parents when he was ten years old. William served in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War as an artillery private in Captain Gib Jones' Company of the Pennsylvania Line. He took part in the ill-fated campaign into Canada, and was then stationed at Fort Ticonderoga. On June 18, 1780, William married Margaret Stolz, the daughter of Jacob and Juliana Stolz, in Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The founder of Lutheranism in America, the Reverend Heinrich Melchior Muhlenberg, performed the wedding service. In 1795, William moved his family to Brooke County, Virginia, settling near Wellsburg. William and Margaret had sons Jacob and William Jr., and daughters Anna, Juliana, Mary, Margaret, Elizabeth, and Martha. They may have had other children as yet unknown. William Stevens died in Brooke County on January 10, 1838.

Submitted by: Richard M. Stevens II, 301 Beaver Trail, Winchester, Va 22602-1412 email gandolf@visuallink.com



WVGenWeb Project |USGenWeb Project | USGenWeb Project Archives | USGenWeb Census Project | WorldGenWeb
Copyright© by Janet Waite and Dale Patterson 1997 - 2004; Julia A. Krutilla- 2004-2008.

© 1997-2011 Hancock County,WV Genweb Project. Content initiated in 1997 by Janet Waite and Dale Patterson 1997-2004; Julia Krutilla -2004-2011; Barbara Campbell June 2011.The Subject matter within these pages are not be used for financial gain. We respect free genealogy and hope that you do to. All contributions and donations will become apart of the Hancock County Genweb Project but remains the property of the submitter with full rights reserved for the origional submitter. The submitter has given permission for Hancock County, WV. Genweb Project to store the information permanently at this website for all researchers to access freely. The information submitted will not be removed without permission from the submitter.
Logo