Anthony Brown ______________________________________________________
The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 538
Clay

ANTHONY R. BROWN, M. D., of Clay, judicial center of
Clay County, has passed the psalmist's span of three score
years and ten, but is still engaged in the active and success-
ful practice of his profession, in which he has made a rec-
ord of faithful and effective service, the while he has
broadened the province of his work to include also practice
as a veterinary surgeon.

Doctor Brown was born in Nicholas County, West Vir-
ginia, February 15, 1848, and is a son of John and Susan
(Neal) Brown, both likewise natives of that county and
both representatives of pioneer families there. John Brown
was born in the year 1812, was reared on a pioneer farm,
and he eventually became one of the successful practicing
physicians in his native county, where he remained until
1855. He then removed to Clay County, where he built up a
large and substantial general practice, in connection with
which he manifested a high sense of personal and profes-
sional stewardship. He became a loyal supporter of the
cause of the republican party, and both he and his wife were
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Of the
nine children only two are now living, the subject of this
sketch being the younger, and the elder brother, Dr. George
W., being engaged in the practice of medicine at Lizemores,
Clay County.

Dr. Anthony B. Brown was reared on the home farm and
attended the schools of the locality and period. He was
a lad of sixteen years when his youthful patriotism led
him to enter the Union service in the Civil war, and as
a member of a West Virginia regiment of volunteer in-
fantry he continued in service until the close of the war.
Thereafter he studied medicine under effective private pre-
ceptorship, and after thus duly qualifying himself he en-
gaged in the practice of his chosen profession, in which his
success attests alike his technical skill and his unqualified
personal popularity. He has maintained his residence in the
Village of Clay since 1902, and in his professional service he
has ever been ready to minister to those in suffering or
distress, no matter how great the labor involved, how in-
clement the weather or how difficult the incidental traversing
of muddy or unimproved roads. He has thus gained the
gratitude and appreciative regard of those whom he has thus
unselfishly served, and he is one of the substantial and
honored citizens of Clay County. He is a republican in
politics and is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic.

As a young man Doctor Brown wedded Miss Elizabeth D.
Jarett, and her death occurred in 1908. Of the six children
of this union four are living. In 1909 Doctor Brown mar-
ried Miss Ella Taylor, who was born in Braxton County,
July 1, 1887, the three children of this union being William
R., Ardelle M. and Naomi V.