The History of West Virginia, Old and New Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 516 Clay
OSCAR L. HALL has won for himself secure vantage-place as one of the representative members of the bar of Clay County, and is established in the successful practice of his profesison [sic] at Clay, the county seat. He was born in Braxton County, this state, April 13, 1883, and is a son of Henry Y. and Edna (McMorrow) Hall, the former of whom was born in Clay County, in 1845, and the latter in Braxton County, in 1849. After their marriage the parents established themselves on a farm in Braxton County, and on this old homestead they still reside, venerable and honored citizens of the county, both being most zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to the clergymen of which their pleasant home has ever extended cordial welcome and entertainment. E. B., eldest of the children, is a progressive and successful farmer in Braxton County; Ella is the wife of J. Lee Fox, a prosperous farmer near Sutton, that county; O. W. is a substantial agriculturist and cattle grower in Braxton County; W. C. is a popular teacher in the city schools of Charleston; Oscar L., of this review, was the next in order of birth; Percy, a graduate of the law department of the University of West Virginia, is now general counsel for the Ohio Fuel Oil Company for the State of Texas, with residence and headquarters in the City of Dallas, Texas; and May is the wife of P. M. Bamsey, a representative farmer in Braxton County.
Reared on the home farm and afforded the advantages of the public schools of his native county, Oscar L. Hall thereafter made a record of excellent service as a teacher in the rural schools, his pedagogic service having continued three years. He pursued higher academic studies in tile- University of West Virginia, and in the law department of this institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1907. Thereafter he was established in practice at Sut- ton, judicial center of his native county, until 1912, when he went to the City of Charleston and became connected with the legal department of the Ohio Fuel Oil Company. In 1914 he engaged in the active general practice of his profession at Clay, and he has here continued as one of the leading members of the Clay County bar. In 1916 he was elected prosecuting attorney of the county, an office of which he continued the incumbent until January, 1921, and in which he made a most excellent record, his being specially high standing as a trial lawyer of versatility and resource- fulness. Mr. Hall is a stalwart advocate of the principles of the republican party, and as owner and publisher of the Clay Messenger, a weekly paper, he has been able to render effective service in promotion of the party cause. He is president of the Elksplint Coal Company and a stockholder in other industrial and business corporations. In the Masonic fraternity his affiliations are with Sutton Lodge No. 21, A. F. and A. M.; Sutton Chapter No. 29, R. A. M.; Sutton Commandery No. 16, Knights Templars; and Beni- Kedem Temple of the Mystic Shrine, in the City of Charles- ton. In December, 1910, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hall and Miss Fannie E. Lorentz, who had been a popular teacher in the Sutton High School, she having graduated in the same, and also in Morris Harvey College, from which she received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Mr. and Mrs. Hall have two children: Jean E., born March 1, 1912; and Ann Lorentz, born May 3, 1917.