The History of West Virginia, Old and New Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 517 Clay
PHILIP S. YOUNG was elected sheriff of Clay County in November, 1920, is giving a most effective administration and is one of the popular citizens of his native county and its judicial center, the Village of Clay, where he maintains his residence and official headquarters.
Mr. Young was born on his father's farm in this county, November 4, 1873, and is a son of Samuel E. and Helen M. (Hart) Young, the former of whom was born in Kanawha County, in 1828, when West Virginia as now constituted was still on the pioneer western frontier of Vir- ginia. The mother of Sheriff Young was born at Charleston, this state, in 1832. After their marriage the parents resided eighteen years on a farm in Kanawha County, and they then came to Clay County, where the father developed a good farm and where he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives, secure in the respect and esteem of all who knew them and both earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Samuel E. Young became a loyal supporter of the principles of the republican party, was in- fluential in its local councils and served for a long term of years as a member of the County Court of Clay County. He was actively affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. Of the family of ten children five are living at the time of this writing, in 1922: Mary is the wife of William Snyder; James is a substantial farmer in Clay County; Herbert M., who served twelve years as clerk of the Circuit Court for Clay County, is now engaged in the real estate business in the State of Arizona; Anna is the wife of W. D. Samples; and Philip S., of this review, is the youngest of the number. The father was a loyal and gallant soldier of the Union during virtually the entire period of the Civil war, and he manifested in later years his continued interest in his old comrades by maintaining affiliation with the Grand Army of the Republic.
Philip S. Young early began to assist in the work of the home farm, and while he thus waxed strong in physical powers he also profited by the advantages offered in the local schools. He has always continued his alliance with the basic industry of farming, and the aggregate area of his two well improved farms in Clay County is 500 acres, the value of these properties being enhanced by the gas wells that have been there sunk and are producing. Mr. Young is a stalwart in the local camp of the republican party, has been a zealous worker in its behalf, and on its ticket he was elected county sheriff in the autumn of 1920. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Young is a thirty-second degree Mason and a member of the Shrine. He and his brothers are affiliated with Clay County Lodge No. 97, Ancient. Free & Accepted Masons, of which their father was an active member for many years prior to his death.
The year 1900 recorded the marriage of Mr. Young and Miss Mary Smith, and of their fine family of ten children all are living except one, there having been four sons and six daughters.