The county was originally named Henry then Marshall. Clay County
was formed in 1858 from parts of Braxton, Kanawha, and Nicholas Counties
and was named in honor of Henry Clay, a Kentucky statesman. We declared
out statehood in 1863.
The county area is 346.1 square miles. Approximately 10,200 lived in
Clay County in 1910 while the 1990 census indicated a drop in
population to 9,983.
The mean annual temperature is 55 degrees and the mean annual snowfall
ranges from 22 to 40 inches. The variation is due to mountain terrain.
Two thirds of the county lies at elevations of 1000 feet above sea
level. The county seat and only municipality, is in the Town
of Clay ( formerly known as 'Clay Courthouse'). It has a
Mayor/Council form of government with the Mayor being the Chief Executive
Officer. Town Council consists of 5 members, one recorder and the Mayor.
It is located 42 miles from the State Capitol, Charleston.
1960 - 11,942
1970 - 9,330
1980 - 11,265
1990 - 9,983
2000 - 10,700 (projected)
There are 2,346 workers living in the county. Of that 1,241 work
inside the county while 1,016 work in another county and 1.7% ( 40) have
jobs in another state.
A three member county commission governs the county. The County
Commission has the primary budgetary and administrative responsibility
for the operation of county government.
Clay County is served by two newspapers. The Clay County Freepress which
is published weekly and The Communicator and is published bi weekly.
There are no television stations in the county. The county is served by
four cable TV companies. Telephone service is provided by Citizen's
information was copied with permission from ClayWestVirginia.com