BIOGRAPHIES, Greenbrier County, WV - "C"
WILLIAM HAMPTON CALDWELL, M. D. - was born in Lewisburg, Greenbrier
County, May 10, 1858, a son of Dewit Clinton Bolivar CALDWELL and Sarah
Jane CALDWELL, and a grandson of Joseph Franklin and Ann (TYLER) CALDWELL.
Dr. Joseph F. CALDWELL, his grandfather, came to Greenbrier County in
1820, and in Lewisburg established the first newspaper published west
of the Blue Ridge, in the same year - The Palladium of Virginia. He
also established the first stage lines through the State, from Lewisburg
to New Bern, North Carolina, and Guyandotte, Charleston, etc. This was
in 1837 or 1838, the mails prior to that date having been carried by a
man on horseback. He was a member of the West Virginia legislature in
1867, and introduced a bill relative to incorporation limits of Lewisburg.
He was mayor of Lewisburg, president of the board of registration, and
always a citizen prominent in the interest of the town, county, and
State. Dr. H. Clay CALDWELL, son of Dr. J. F. CALDWELL, was assistant
surgeon in the navy for several years, being promoted to full surgeon
a year or two previous to his death, which occurred while home on leave
of absence at the residence of his father, in Lewisburg, December 1,
1859, in the 28th year of his age. He was a young man of brilliant
promise, of very superior mind, and an honor to his profession. The
father of William H., also a physician, was justice of the peace, clerk
of the county court of Greenbrier County, and also United States
examining surgeon for West Virginia. William H. CALDWELL, in addition
to his professional duties, has held the seal of notary in and for
Greenbrier County for the past two years. His residence is in Lewisburg
District, and he owns the "Stone House", at River Dale, on the Greenbrier
River - one of the first houses built in the county, erected and owned by
Benjamin GRIGSBY, a Presbyterian minister and pioneer of the county. His
address is: Dr. W. H. CALDWELL, Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West
CLARK L. CHILDERS - born in Anthonys Creek District, Greenbrier County,
October 25, 1840, is the owner of the homestead farm, the place of his
birth. It consists of about 100 acres of good land, well improved, and
containing iron ore. Its location is on Little Creek, five miles from
Alvon, ten from Frankford, twenty-five from Lewisburg. William and
Rebecca Jane (PERKINS) CHILDERS, who passed long and useful lives in
this district, were his parents. His father was born March 1800, and
died June 10, 1879; and his mother, born February 6, 1817, died February
10, 1880. When the civil war was inaugurated, Clark L. CHILDERS at once
entered the Confederate service, serving through the entire war. He was
engaged in the battles of Lewisburg, Fayetteville, Cold Harbor, Gaines
Mills, the Wilderness, Fishers Hill, White Sulphur Springs, Handleys,
Martinsburg, Sharpsburg, Kernstown, Strasburg, and in the second battle
of Winchester was made prisoner, in 1864, remaining a prisoner until
the close of the war. In Pocahontas County, West Virginia, November 3,
1882, Clark L. CHILDERS and Minnie RANKIN were united in wedlock. Her
birth was in Pocahontas County, and she is a daughter of George Washington
RANKIN of that county. She was born in February, 1847. The post office
address of Clark L. CHILDERS is Alvon, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
THOMAS G. CLAY, M. D. - son of Marston and Sarah (DEARING) CLAY, was born in
Campbell County, Virginia, June 19, 1817. His parents were Virginians, his father
born in Dinwiddie County, and his mother in Campbell County. Both died in Campbell
County, the mother in 1851, and the father in 1857. In the fall of 1846, Dr.
CLAY cast his fortunes in with the people of Greenbrier, and in 1848, in Monroe
County, (then) Virginia, he married Nancy JOHNSON. She died without children,
and his second marriage was consummated in Greenbrier County, in October, 1852.
Margaret JARRETT, who then became his wife, was born in Greenbrier County,
August 3, 1826, and the ten children of their wedlock are recorded: Marston,
born July 14, 1854, deceased; James, August 3, 1855, is in California; Odin,
October 13, 1857, residence in Bloomington, Illinois; and four at home:
Thomas, born January 31, 1864; Sally A., May 25, 1865; Mary E., April 18, 1867;
Joseph G., June 30, 1869. James and Ruth (GWINN) JARRETT, the parents of Mrs.
CLAY, were born and died in Greenbrier County. Her father was born in 1780,
and died in 1870, and her mother was born in 1785, and died in 1862. Dr. CLAY
has been in the practice of his profession for thirty-seven years, a graduate
of Richmond Medical College. He has also been farming and cattle-raising since
the war, and has 200 acres of good land. His dwelling is on Muddy creek,
Blue Sulphur district, and his post office address is Palestine, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.
[Dr. Thos. G. CLAY died of erysipelas on Aug. 18, 1887, at age 70. He is listed
as the son of Marsden CLAY, and his death was reported by his son, John H. CLAY.
Greenbrier County Death Records, Vol. 1A. vfc]
JOHN CLAYPOOL - was born in Tazewell County, Virginia, in 1797, but his parents
came to this section of country when he was quite young, and
he was reared in Greenbrier County. In 1821 he married Rebecca SHAVER,
and located in Rich Hollow. They had five children: Levi, George S.,
Elizabeth, William and Robert S. John CLAYPOOL bought land in Fayette
County, (then) Virginia, in 1837, and located near Fayette C. H. In
1840 he bought a farm in Logan County, where he died October 23, 1877.
His widow died February 20, 1879. Both were members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Levi, oldest son of John and Rebecca (SHAVER) CLAYPOOL,
was born in Greenbrier County, July 12, 1822. In 1844 he returned to that
county, having gone to Fayette and Logan Counties with his father, and in
1850 he went to Wyoming County, and engaged in clerking a little more than
a year. He then returned to Greenbrier County, where he still resides.
In 1853 he married Susan COFFMAN. He is a farmer by occupation, and
a member of the patrons of husbandry. He was a justice of the peace,
1866-72, in Irish Corner district, Greenbrier County. He became a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1849, and is a class leader
of the church. All his family are in its membership. John Wesley CLAYPOOL,
oldest son of Levi and Susan (COFFMAN) CLAYPOOL, was born in Greenbrier
County, January 6, 1854. They have another son, Christopher Columbus,
who was born in 1856. John W. received his education in the primary
schools of his neighborhood, and was a teacher of the Greenbrier
County public schools, 1876-82. He is recording steward of the Monroe
Methodist Episcopal circuit. He was the first person in West Virginia
to take the obligation of the "Band of Hope," a society pledging its
members against intoxicating drinks, tobacco and profane language.
He moved to Monroe County in 1882, and is Grange Co-operative Salesman
for the Patrons of Husbandry, with address at Sinks Grove,
Monroe County, West Virginia.
JACOB COFFMAN - deceased - was born in Greenbrier County, in 1807, Michael COFFMAN,
his father, one of the earliest and most prominent settlers here. The old COFFMAN
farm is situated about four miles south from Lewisburg, and a part of which is
now owned by Mason D. COFFMAN, who is engaged in its cultivation. It is for him
this sketch is compiled, and he is the only survivor of the family, and is unmarried.
He was a child of the late Jacob COFFMAN by his third wife, and was born in Greenbrier
County, March 9, 1858. His mother's maiden name was Mary HEDRICK, and she was born
in Greenbrier County, November 2, 1817, and became the wife of Mr. COFFMAN on the
8th of June 1848. Jacob COFFMAN died August 26, 1858, and his widow died September
7, 1872. The COFFMAN family have always maintained a high reputation for all those
characteristics that distinguish the Virginian, and the present representative of
the family is held in the community. Ronceverte, Greenbrier County, West Virginia,
is Mason D. COFFMAN's post office address.
JOHN HAMPDEN CRAWFORD - is a descendent from early and prominent settlers
of Irish Corner district, Greenbrier County, was born in this county,
August 7, 1845, in Irish Corner district, and is here the owner of 342
acres of good farming land. He has fine bearing orchards of peaches,
pears and plums, good grape vineyards, and the uncleared portion of
his land is finely timbered with oak and hickory. James CRAWFORD, his
father, was born August 30, 1812, near Second creek, and his mother,
her maiden name Mary BURDETT, was born in the same locality,
February 28, 1814. She is now living with the son, and his father
died March 17, 1866. John H. CRAWFORD was a member of Company D,
26th Virginia Battalion, Confederate army, war of 1861, and served
with honor on the fields of Wite [sic] Sulphur Springs, New Market, Cold
Harbor, Lynchburg, Winchester, Cedar Creek, and Leesburg. He returned
to his home in April, 1865. Near Nickels Mills, Greenbrier County,
November 19, 1867, John H. CRAWFORD and Nannie J. RODGERS were wedded,
and in their home are six children: Ozella, born October 17, 1868;
Bessie, March 28, 1871; Roberta, January 9, 1874; James Eli,
January 9, 1877; John Simpson, September 18, 1879; Charles Franklin,
October 4, 1882. Eli and Charlotte (HOKE) RODGERS were the parents of
Mrs. CRAWFORD, who was born in Irish Corner, July 21, 1845. Her
parents were natives of this county, her father born May 10, 1812,
and her mother born July 21, 1816. Her father died March 21, 1881.
In addition to his other farm labors, Mr. CRAWFORD gives a great
deal of attention to the raising of stock. His postoffice address
is Second Creek, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
[Nannie J. (RODGERS) CRAWFORD died Jul. 21, 1898, of "nervous prost".
She was listed as age 51, daughter of Eli and Charlotte RODGERS.
Greenbrier County Death Reocrds, Vol. 1A. vfc]
[Charlotte (HOKE) RODGERS died May 9, 1886 of heart disease. Her death
was reported by Eli RODGERS, son, and recorded in Greenbrier County
Death Records, Vol. 1A. vfc]
JAMES M. CUNNINGHAM - was born in Giles County, Virginia, January 13, 1843.
He entered the Confederate army, April 27, 1861, as a member of Company F,
24th Virginia Infantry, and he served until the close of the war. The battles
in which he was engaged included those of Bull Run, Manassas, Seven Pines,
the Seven Days Fight, Gettysburg, and others. He was wounded in the left
arm and hand at the battle of Seven Pines and made prisoner at Winchester.
On leaving the army he came to Greenbrier County, and in Lewisburg, [he married
Kate C. FOGLESONG, February 22, 1865; see Greenbrier County Marriages, Vol. 1B],
daughter of John and Polly (DYCHE) FOGLESONG, both natives of Greenbrier County,
and still residents here. The children of Mr. and Mrs. CUNNINGHAM are three:
William C., born April 9, 1866; Allevia L., August 20, 1867; and Mollie L.,
April 13, 1869. James M. CUNNINGHAM has served as town trustee one year in
Lewisburg. His business is that of carriage builder, and his address is
Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
SAMUEL HAMILTION CURRY - born in Monroe County, (now) West Virginia,
May 2, 1836, was a son of Josiah and Sarah (NICKELL) CURRY. His mother
was born in Monroe County, his father in Augusta County, Virginia. The
former died in Ohio, the latter died in 1845. In the war between the
States, Samuel H. CURRY was a member of Company C, 132d Ohio Infantry,
enlisting May 1, 1864, and serving the Government through the last
year of the war in the army of the Potomac, Anderson CURRY, his cousin,
was a soldier of the Confederacy, and killd [sic] in the service. At Irish
Corner, Greenbrier County, November 2, 1882, Samuel H. CURRY married
Susan Rebecca HALLOWELL, who was born in Richmond, Virginia, May 27,
1835. She was a daughter of Joshua HALLOWELL, born in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth E. (PULLIN) HALLOWELL, who was born near
Richmond, Virginia, September 15, 1796. (Her parents are no longer
living.) Samuel H. CURRY owns 180 acres of good land, well improved,
watered and timbered. It has several springs of superior medicinal
qualities, and is well located. He has been a consistent and useful
member of the Presbyterian Church for ten years, and his wife joined
the Methodist Church early in life, and has been constant in her
religious faith ever since. The postoffice address of Samuel H.
CURRY is Monroe Draft, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
[From THE MONROE WATCHMAN, Thursday, December 9, 1909:
Mrs. Susan CURRY, of Irish Corner, widow of the late Sam CURRY, was taken
to the home for incurables at Huntington on No. 1, Thanksgiving night.
Her mind had been failing for several years, and she was haunted with
the idea that some persons had determined to kill her and were hiding
nearby for that purpose. In view of her age (some 76 years) she was deemed
incurable. She was Miss HALLOWELL before her marriage. -- W. Va. News]
Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, email@example.com, Darla Ruebush, firstname.lastname@example.org
and Ed Johnson, EDEAJ@aol.com
Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.
Index of Biographies