The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III pg. 170-171
FRANK NIXON MANN. In that growing list of industries that distinguish Huntington among the busy cities of the state, one of the important ones, due to volume of the business and wide distribution of products, is the Huntington Sash, Door & Trim Company, of which Frank Nixon MANN is president and general manager. Mr. MANN has been a lumber manufacturer and planing mill operator for many years, and came to Huntington from the eastern part of the state.
He was born in Greenbrier County, July 19, 1861. Back in Colonial times three brothers left Scotland and came to America, one locating in Pennsylvania, another in Mary land, while the direct ancestor of the Huntington manufacturer established his home in Gloucester County, Virginia, where he intermarried with the Page family. The grand father of Frank Nixon MANN was Billie Thomas MANN, who was born in Bath County, Virginia, in 1784, was reared there, was married in Monroe County, West Virginia, and was one of the early farmers established in the Fort Spring neighborhood. At one time he owned a third of all the land in Fayette County. This land later turned out to be exceedingly valuable on account of its coal deposits. He died at Fort Spring in 1876. His wife was Miss ALEXANDER, a native of Virginia.
James MANN, their son, was born in Greenbrier County, near Fort Spring, in 1832, and when a young man he left that vicinity and spent three years as a farmer in Edgar County, Illinois. About a year after his marriage there he returned to Greenbrier County, and conducted his extensive operations as a farmer, but about 1878 moved into Alderson, and supervised his farm from that point until his death, which occurred at Alderson, Monroe County, in January, 1910. He was a democrat, served three terms as a magistrate, and was for many years an elder in the Presbyterian Church. James MANN married Elizabeth NIXON, who was born at Springfield, Illinois, March 11, 1838, and is now eighty-four years of age, a resident of Alderson. Frank Nixon is the oldest of her three children. Her daughter May E. is the wife of Dr. Charles P. NASH, a retired physician and surgeon at Alderson. Bessie A. died at Alderson at the age of twenty-five, and her husband, Mr. LIDE, is now a merchant in Birmingham, Alabama.
Frank Nixon MANN acquired a rural school training in Greenbrier County, took his preparatory course in a private school in the same county, and then entered Hampden Sidney College in Prince Edward County, Virginia. He remained there until in his senior year, when he left, in 1884, to take up active business. For about thirty years Mr. MANN was a lumber manufacturer and farmer living at Alderson. His planing mill there burned in 1911, and in 1912 he moved to Huntington and established the Huntington Sash Door and Trim Company, building the plant at Nineteenth and Second Avenue. He is principal owner and president and general manager of the company, which is the West Virginia corporation. Others associated with him in the official personnel are: J. W. LAWTON, vice president, and F. L. FAUST, secretary and treasurer. This is a large industry with complete machinery equipment for the manufacture of all planing and mill work products including stair, porch work, window frames, store fixtures, mouldings and interior trim. The output commands a large sale all over West Virginia and is shipped even to Ohio and Michigan points.
Mr. Mann is a democrat, is an elder in the First Presby terian Church of Huntington, and since moving to that city has acquired some interests in real estate, including his home at 1621 Fifth Avenue. In September, 1892, at Alderson, West Virginia, he married Miss Nancy B. MURRAY, daughter of Rev. Patrick MURRAY, who married a Miss Graves. Both her parents are now deceased. Her father was a minister of the Baptist Church. Mrs. MANN is a graduate of the Woman's Western College of Hamilton, Ohio. Without children of their own, Mr. and Mrs. MANN reared two adopted children. The first, Nancy, is now the wife of Garland B. JOHNSON, a resident of Lynchburg, Virginia, and general sales manager of the Lynchburg Pipe and Foundry Company. The second is Elsworth F., now a student in the Military Academy at Augusta, Virginia.
The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II pg. 238
CHARLES ALEXANDER MARTIN, M. D. Some of the most important service rendered by the medical profession in West Virginia is that given by the physicians and surgeons who attended the cases of illness and injury among the population grouped around the mines. That has been the service of Doctor MARTIN practically ever since he graduated from medical college, and since 1913 his home and headquarters have been at Amherstdale in Logan County.
Doctor MARTIN was born in Dawson, Greenbrier County, December 5, 1879, son of Obediah C. and Sallie (LOWRY) MARTIN. Obediah C. MARTIN, who died in 1893, at the age of sixty-eight, was a native of Greenbrier County, son of Joseph MARTIN, and followed farming and the carpenter trade as his life's occupation and became very well to do. He was a democrat in politics. Doctor MARTIN has two brothers, Joseph L., in business at Charleston, and William L., at Springdale. The mother of these sons died in April, 1880, at the age of thirty-five years.
Doctor MARTIN was five months old when his mother died, and he was reared in the home of her uncle, Thomas LOWRY, at Springdale. He attended public school in Fayette County, and he had to make every opportunity count to provide for his own living and secure a higher education. At the age of eighteen he became a teacher, and he taught six terms of school in Fayette County, at $35.00 per month. During 1900 he attended Marshall College at Huntington, and from 1904 to 1908 pursued his medical studies in the University of Louisville. In 1919 he again returned to his alma mater for post graduate study. After graduating in 1908 he practiced four and a half years around the mines at Harvey and Fayette County, and then came to Amherstdale, about the time the mines were being opened in this section of Logan County. His practice as a mining physician and surgeon has associated him with the Amherst Coal Company, Proctor Coal Company, Buffalo Eagle Coal Company, Madne Coal Company and Proctor Eagle Coal Company. At one time he had charge of the practice for about eleven mines.
Doctor MARTIN in 1913 married Beulah THRASH of Roane County, West Virginia, daughter of C. C. THRASH. They have two children: Bess and Shirley. Mrs. Martin is a member of the Methodist Church. Doctor MARTIN is affiliated with McDonald Lodge No. 103, F. and A. M., at Mount Hope, the Royal Arch Chapter of Thurmond, West Virginia Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite at Wheeling, and Beni Kedem Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is a member of the Logan County, West Virginia State and American Medical Associations. Doctor MARTIN has been a personal witness of nearly all the important phases in the development of Buffalo Valley. In 1899 he drove a wagon down the valley, long before a railroad was built or before the operation of the mines was considered.
HORACE MASON - son of Ira and Mary (BAKER) MASON, was born in Chemung County, New York, March 25, 1839. His father was a native of New Hampshire, and both his father and mother are now deceased. At Waterloo, New York, Horace MASON was joined in wedlock with Minnie A. HUDSON, who was born in Pennsylvania, in September, 1840. William W. and Jane (GUMMO) HUDSON, who were born in England, were the parents of Mrs. MASON and they are no longer living. The second child of Mr. and Mrs. MASON was Eva J., born December 20. 1866, who died October 26, 1870. Their living children, all at home are: Mary R., born April 19, 1865; Jessie V., November 11, 1869; William W., November 26, 1871; Minnie M., February 22, 1874; Harry W., February 21, 1877. In October, 1882, Horace MASON came to Greenbrier County. He is the architect, foreman and builder of the famous mill the St. Lawrence Manufacturing Company have erected since the date to execute any similar undertaking without a rival, having been a practical mill man all his life of thirty business years. He has brought his accomplished family to this country, and they are living at Ronceverte, which is his business address.
CAPT. JACOB WORWICK MATHEWS - born in Pocahontas County, (then) Virginia, November 9, 1839, was a son of Samuel G. and Naomi S. (HUDSON) MATHEWS. In 1868 he took up his residence in Greenbrier County, and at Anthonys Creek, this county, May 7, 1868, he was united in wedlock with Mary Elizabeth HOYLMAN. She was born in this district, a daughter of George W. and Nancy A. (FLESHMAN) HOYLMAN. Charles Forest, born September 27, 1873, is the son and the only child of Mr. and Mrs. MATHEWS. At the age of seventeen years Jacob W. MATHEWS was elected second lieutenant of the Randolph County militia, and at the outbreak of the civil war he entered the army in the Confederate service. He enlisted May 18, 1861, in Company I, 25th Virginia Infantry, as a private, and for meritorious services in the early part of 1862 he received commission of second lieutenant in the same company. For gallantry on the field of Gettysburg, July, 1863, he received a captain's commission, with which he served till July 9, 1865, when he took the oath of allegiance, and returned to his home, which he had never visited during the years of his service. He was a participant in the battles of Philippi, McDowell, Front Royal, Middletown, Winchester, Cross Keys, Port Republic, the seven days fight near Richmond, Cedar Mountain, second battle of Manassas, Shantilly, Harpers Ferry, Sharpsburg, Maryland, Mine Run, Fredericksburg, Beverly, Buckhannon, Gettysburg, Bristow Station, and the Wilderness. In the last named battle he was made prisoner with his whole regiment, and held until the close of the war. He has accumulated his present fine property since that time, having nothing left from the wreck of Virginia in the war, and he now owns 900 acres of land at Alvon, on Anthonys Creek, ten miles from White Sulphur Springs, and twenty-one miles from Lewisburg. Coal, iron ore and medicinal springs of excellent quality are found on his land. He is also a member of the mercantile firm of MATHEWS & HOYLMAN, dealers in dry goods, groceries, hardware, medicines, hats, caps, shoes, rubbers, ready-made clothing, etc., etc. Alvon, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II, pgs. 7-9
MATHEWS FAMILY OF GREENBRIER.
From the early years of colonial adventure along the James River men of the Mathews name have had a distinguished part in the affairs of Virginia. The scope of their action was extended beyond the Alleghanies before the Revolution, and from about that time they have constituted one of the most notable families of old Greenbrier County, and from here have gone into the larger life of the state and even that of the nation. In the following paragraphs several individuals of the Greenbrier County Lineage are selected for special mention with incidental reference to some others who have made "history."
The first American of the family was Capt. Samuel Mathews, who came to Virginia in 1622, was a leader in an Indian campaign the following year and in 1624 was one of the commissioners appointed by the king to investigate the condition of the colony. In succeeding years he figured prominently in Colonial affairs, and on March 13, 1658, became governor of the colony, was disposed by the House of Burgesses, but immediately reelected, and he died while still in office, in January, 1680.
Another member of this family was Thomas Mathews, who was created an admiral in the British Navy in 1718, and died in 1751. His son, John Mathews, came from England and settled in Augusta County, Virginia, in 1730, and later permanently located in Rockbridge County, on Mill Creek, a tributary of Buffalo Creek, which empties into North River. Here he operated a large plantation of over 1,600 acres granted him by George the Second, under patent from Governor Dinwiddie. This patent is carefully preserved in the possession of his descendant Charles Gardner Mathews, of Lewisburg, Greenbrier County. John Mathews married Ann Archer, and they were the parents of seven sons and four daughters. Five of the sons, it is recorded, followed Braddock, on his ill fated campaign in 1754. One of the sons, George Mathews, was particularly active and efficient in protecting the early settlers from Indian depredations, and at the battle of Point Pleasant in 1774, commanded a company under Gen. Andrew Lewis. It was his company that by a forced march up Crooked Creek turned the enemy's flank and saved the day for the Virginians. George Mathews likewise had a conspicuous part in the Revolutionary struggle, and received special mention for his service in the battles of Monmouth and Brandywine. At the close of the war he held the rank of brigadier general, and, removing to Georgia, was twice elected governor of that state, in 1786 and in 1794, he was also a member of Congress from Georgia.
However, the branch of the family in which this article is more particularly interested is through another son of John Mathews, Joseph Mathews. Joseph Mathews married Mary Edgar, daughter of James and Mary (Mason) Edgar. They were married April 17, 1794. Of their six children the fifth was Mason Mathews, one of the most notable citizens of Greenbrier County in the last century.
Mason Mathews was born at Lewisburg, December 15, 1803, and died September 16, 1878. His early career was one of hardship and self denial. He was a boy when his father died, and other misfortunes befalling the family at that time he loyally accepted obligations that left him no time for personal leisure or selfish plans. He worked in a store at Lewisburg, and for a number of years turned over his earnings to the rehabilitation of the family fortunes. He was deputy to the high sheriff of the county, and in 1828 was elected commissioner of revenue, a position he held many years by reelection. In 1827 he married Miss Eliza S. Reynolds, member of one of the best known families of Lewisburg. Soon afterward he removed to Frankfort, Greenbrier County, and became a merchant, and in the course of years laid the solid foundation of his personal fortune. Subsequently he returned to Lewisburg, and was justice of the peace until the entire judicial system of the state was changed by the convention of 1849-50. For years he was treasurer of the Board of Commissioners of Free Schools. Because of his judicial temperament he was often called npon to arbitrate differences arising among his neighbors. He was a veritable father to his people. He opposed secession, favoring the Union, but when the state passed the ordinance of secession he cast in his lot with the Confederacy, for which he made many sacrifices. From 1859 to 1864 he was a member of the Virginia Legislature. Mason Mathews was a gentlemen of the old school, unfailing in his courtesy, which was given to those of high as well as low estate. He was honest and upright, devoted to his family and few men enjoyed the love and esteem accorded him.
Mason Mathews was the father of eight children, and lived to see seven of them grown, married and successfully established in life. The most noted perhaps of them was Henry Mason Mathews, who became one of the great lawyers of West Virginia, served as attorney-general, and also as governor of the state.
Another son of Mason Mathews was Capt. Alexander F. Mathews, who added to the prestige of the family name in Greenbrier Connty. He was born at Lewisburg in 1838 and died December 17, 1906. At the age of fifteen be entered the University of Virginia, and graduated two years later with high honors and the degree Master of Arts. For a time he taught school, and at the beginning of the Civil war he esponsed the Confederacy and was commissioned captain, and served as aide-de-camp on the staff of General Wise and afterward was in service in North Carolina. When the war was over he returned to Lewisburg, with physical energies unimpaired, but impoverished in fortune. He married in 1865 Laura Gardner, of Christiansburg, Virginia. He taught school, and though he had studied law in the University of Virginia, he was debarred from practicing that profession because of having taken up arms against the United States. Later he formed a partnership with his famous brother, Governor Henry M. Mathews, and was also a partner for a time of Judge Adam C. Snyder. Capt. Alexander Mathews steadfastly refused to hold office. Along with the legal profession he was a banker for many years, being president of the Bank ofLewisburg. This was the oldest bank between Charleston, West Virginia, and Staunton, Virginia. He was man possessed of high ideals, and made those ideals effective in his every day life. Intellectually he was one of the best equipped lawyers of his time.
Capt. Alexander Mathews and wife had seven children: Mason; Charles Gardner; Mary M., deceased wife of D. C. T. Davis; Eliza P., the only surviving daughter; Maude M.; Florence V.; and Henry A.
Mason Mathews, son of Capt. Alexander F. Mathews, is one of West Virginia's ablest bankers and financiers. He was born at Christiansburg, June 29, 1867. He was reared in Lewisburg, and that city has always been his home. He had a public school education, attended a military academy at Bethel, Virginia, and studied law until failing eyesight compelled him to relinquish professional ambition. He soon afterward entered the Bank of Lewisburg as a teller, and has been with that institution thirty years or more. Since 1908 he has been its president.
His financial ability has brought him a wide field of service. He helped organize the Richwood Bank and Trust Company. He was a director for ten years and later elected president of the First National Bank of Ronceverti, and is still its president. He is now vice president and was the first president of the Virginia Joint Stock Land Bank at Charleston, which succeeded the Virginia Rural Credit Association, of which Mr. Mathews was also president. He is a director of the West Virginia Mortgage and Discount Corporation of Charleston, which was organized in 1921. He has also been extensively interested in land and oil developments.
Mason Mathews married Jane C. Montgomery, of Lewisburg. Their children are: Florence M., wife of Buford Hendrick, Jr.; Alexander F.; and Elizabeth M.
A soldier of the great war, an air pilot, who lost his life in France, was Alexander F. Mathews, only son of the Lewisburg banker. He was born August 23, 1895, and was educated in the Greenbrier Presbyterian Military School and graduated in 1914 from Culver Military Academy of Indiana, with the rank of first lieutenant. He also spent a year in Purdue University, and in 1915 entered Cornell University. He was one of the young men of university training and technically equipped who volunteered at the very beginning of the war when America entered the struggle. He volunteered for the aviation service in March, 1917, was in training at Miami, Florida, and in July 1917, ordered to France. He was commissioned first lieutenant of the American Air Force on September 29, 1917, and was then sent to England for special training with the Royal Flying Corps. April 1, 1918, he returned to France, and though an American aviator was assigned to duty with the Eighty-fourth Squadron Royal Flying Corps. Having downed 3 1/3 enemy machines, he lacked only a fraction of the work required of an "Ace". On the night of August 24, the day after his twenty-third birthday, he was killed by a German bomb dropped during a raid over the section on which he was engaged. His death was instant. His captain wrote as follows:
"I have known Alex. ever since he joined the squadron and have done a great deal of work with him over the lines, and there was nobody I would sooner go into a scrap with. He was an excellent pilot and was very keen, and had become one of the tried and trustworthy pilots who are the backbone of a fighting squadron. A chap like Alex. is awfully hard to replace, for although only with us for five months he has been in dozens of fights and was a very experienced and scientific Hun fighter."
The body of Lieutenant Mathews was subsequently returned to America, and was laid to rest in the National Cemetery at Arlington.
Charles Gardner Mathews, a brother of Mason Mathews, the Lewisburg banker, was born at Lewisburg February 14, 1869. He was educated at private schools in Virginia and the University of Virginia, where he studied law. Though admitted to the bar, his active years have been devoted to private business affairs. In 1907 he married Miss Harriet B. Tompkins. Their two children are: Jane Graves and Charles G., Jr.
JONATHAN MAYS - born in Greenbrier County, May 4, 1828, was a son of Jesse and Jane (REID) MAYS, and a grandson of James REID, one of the earliest and prominent among the settlers of Greenbrier County. He was a lawyer by profession, and entered a great deal of land in this county. In 1833 his family sold out and moved to Missouri. His daughter Jane, mother of Jonathan MAYS, was born in Greenbrier County, and died here. The father of Jonathan MAYS, was born in Bedford County, Virginia, and died in Greenbrier County. In this county, February 5, 1861, were recorded the marriage vows of Jonathan MAYS and Susan L. BELL, and the children of their wedlock have been four. Charles S., born in October, 1861, and Mary, born in April, 1863, who are deceased: J. Brownie, born November 13, 1865, and Guy Bell, born April 25, 1871, who live at home. Thomas A. and Mary D. (DICKERSON) BELL are the parents of Mrs. MAYS, and she was born in Bath County, Virginia, April 23, 1839. Her father was born in Rockbridge County, Virginia, in 1807, and is now living in Greenbrier County; her mother is deceased. Jonathan MAYS was first lieutenant in Company I, 60th Virginia Infantry about twelve months, resigning on account of ill health. He had two brothers in the same regiment, the eldest, Marshall, serving through the war, and the younger, William Henry, taken prisoner at the battle of Cloyd's Farm, sent to Fort Morton, Indiana, and there seized with illness, from which he died. His death did not occur until after his release at the close of the war. Marshall died some years after the war. Jonathan MAYS was elected clerk of the circuit court of Greenbrier County in 1872, entering upon a six years term of office January 1, 1873. He served with such satisfaction as to secure his re-nomination and re-election, and is now filling his second term in the office, the term expiring at the close of 1884. Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia, is his postoffice address.
The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II pg. 639
REV. JOHN McELHENNEY, D. D., was one of the remarkable characters in the ministry and citizenship of old Greenbrier County. For more than sixty-two years he was pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Lewisburg. This church itself is one of the oldest in the state, established in 1796.
Rev. John McELHENNEY was born in Lancaster District of South Carolina, March 22, 1781, youngest of the six children of John and Ann (COIL) McELHENNEY. His father fought as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and died soon after the close of that struggle. The educational training of the son was largely directed by his older brother, Rev. J. McELHENNEY. Rev. John McELHENNEY also attended Washington Academy and the old Liberty Hall Academy, gradu- ating from the latter in 1804. He was licensed by the Lexington Presbytery in 1808.
In the Spring of 1809 he was assigned to the pastorate of Lewisburg, in what is now West Virginia. The Presbyterian Church at that time was the central institution of the community, and its pastor was not only the recognized head of the flock, but a leader in every department of the community's affairs. He had the character that well fitted him for such responsibility, and his life was a long and utmost devotion to his church, the cause of Christianity, the counsel and guidance of his fellow men, and both in Greenbrier County and in wider sections of the state he was thoroughly beloved. Few men had as many friends. He administered the affairs of the church and the neighborhood for over sixty years, though in later years he was given an assistant.
Mr. McELHENNEY, who died January 2, 1871, married on December 7, 1807, Rebecca WALKUP. Their children were James Addison, Elizabeth Ann, John Franklin, Samuel Washington, Mary Jane and Susan Emily.
ANDREW HUTCHISON McCLUNG - farmer and stock-raiser of Meadow Bluff district, owning 550 acres of valuable land on Big Clear Creek, is a native of Greenbrier County. He was born on Meadow River, May 18, 1832, and he married on Laurel Creek, this county, March 12, 1856. John and Hannah (McMILLIAM) McCLUNG were his parents, and he married Nancy Ann, daughter of Alexander and Elenor (THOMPSON) McCLUNG. She was born in Greenbrier County, April 20, 1857. Their children were born: Onalaska, December 26, 1856, died August 24, 1876; Lenora, January 24, 1859, died October 11, 1865; Leanna Ada, November 7, 1860; Robert Otte, December 23, 1862, died October 5, 1865; Lewis Edgar, April 28, 1865; Paul Hudson, February 24, 1867; Louisa, June 18, 1869, died in infancy; Homer, September 23, 1873; Cary, July 18, 1875. The living children are all at home. The father of Andrew H. McCLUNG was born in Augusta County, Virginia, January 20, 1762, came to Greenbrier County in 1766, and died in this county, July 20, 1850. Hannah, his wife, was born in this county, February 14, 1795, and here died November 30, 1861. William McCLUNG, father of John, was the first settler on Meadow River, locating here in 1766. He took a tomahawk entry for 100,000 acres on Meadow River and its tributaries, and made his home here when the Indians were so troublesome that he plowed with his rifle strung to his shoulder and his wife and three children took refuge in the dense swamp while he was working, only returning to the cabin at night when he was there to defend them. The parents of Mrs. McCLUNG were born in Greenbrier County, her father in 1805, and her mother in 1815, and they are still living here. Andrew H. McCLUNG was captain of Company C, 79th Virginia military, Confederate service, war between the states. He was sixteen years justice of the peace in Meadow Bluff district, and has been for twelve years postmaster at Big Clear Creek P.O., Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
JOHN McCLUNG - born May 19, 1809, on the farm now owned by Franklin McCLUNG, in Williamsburg District, has always lived in this district, and been one of its farmers for many years. His first wife was Rebecca, daughter of Aaron and Rebecca (COLLINS) BURR. She was born in this county, on Spring Creek, June 12, 1807, and her parents were married and died in this county. Her father was born in Connecticut, about 1776, and came to Greenbrier County with his father between 1780 and 1785, and he died in 1834. His wife was born in Hampshire County, (then) Virginia, and she died about 1852. John McCLUNG and Rebecca BURR were married April 19, 1833, and their children are recorded: Mary Jane, born July 30, 1834, is the wife of Albert FULWIDER, living in Harrisonville, Meigs County, Ohio; James Robert, born May 23, 1836, was in the Confederate service, took a fever at White Sulphur Springs and died May 8, 1862; Sarah Isabella, born January 8, 1839, married William DEARING, and lives in Williamsburg District; Harriet Virginia, born July 11, 1841, married George W. HUNLEY, and lives in Williamsburg District; Susan Elizabeth, born March 20, 1844, died July 22, 1858; Margaret Rebecca and Martha Waite, born October 10, 1847, died - the first-named September 17, 1848, the last six days later; Louisa Steele, April 18, 1850, died July 19, 1858. The second wife of John McCLUNG is Eliza S. BURR, whom he married in this county, September 13, 1882. She is a daughter of Aaron BURR, jr., who died suddenly September 17, 1882, and Margaret (McMILLION) BURR, who died January 2, 1858. William McCLUNG, known to local fame as "Long Billy McCLUNG", father of John McCLUNG, was born in Greenbrier County, April 1, 1777. He was a son of James McCLUNG, who was a son of Samuel McCLUNG, who came from Ireland and settled in Meadow Bluff District, this county, in pioneer days. The mother of William McCLUNG was of unknown parentage, found deserted in the fort in her infancy, and adopted and raised by Colonel DICKENSON. William McCLUNG first married Margaret BOLLAR, who was the mother of the subject of this sketch, and for his second wife he married Martha McMILLION. Margaret Bollar was born in June, 1781, in Bath and William McCLUNG died August 10, 1866. John McCLUNG's postoffice address is Williamsburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
WILLIAM FRANCIS McCLUNG - owner of 130 acres of land in Blue Sulphur district, is farming some portion of the land, and grazes twenty head of cattle yearly. He was born in Greenbrier County, June 21, 1833, and his first wife was Martha M. GEORGE, daughter of William GEORGE of this county, and was born May 28, 1840, and died September 17, 1877. Their children were: Allie J., born June 10, 1862, lives at home; Lulu R., August 18, 1864, is a school teacher, living at home; Elizabeth C., June 26, 1867, lives at home; Walter G., April 18, 1871, died July 18, same year; Joseph F., July 18, 1873, is at home. The grandfather of Martha M. GEORGE was Thomas GEORGE, who built the first house in Grassy Meadows, and whose hunting exploits are elsewhere given. The paternal grandfather of William F. McCLUNG was also a noted hunter and prominent among the early settlers of Greenbrier County. Samuel and Jane (KINCAID) McCLUNG, who were born in Greenbrier County, were the parents of William F. His father is still living at Grassy Meadows, his mother died in 1846. In Greenbrier County, March 23, 1880, William F. McCLUNG was joined in marriage with Martha S. FEAMSTER, who was born in this county, March 17, 1840. William and Mary (TYREE) FEAMSTER were her parents. Her father, born in Greenbrier County, is still a resident here, with post office address at Asbury; her mother was born in Fayette County, now West Virginia, and died in February, 1877. W. F. McCLUNG may be addressed at Palestine, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
WILLIAM HENRY McCLUNG, M. D. - born in Meadow Bluff District, Greenbrier County, October 28, 1843, and Adaline Elizabeth THOMPSON, born in the same district April 30, 1843, were there joined in wedlock, on the 15th of November, 1866. Banzesa, born July 28, 1867, died August 13th following was their first-born child. In their home are four: Irene Irvin, born July 28, 1871; Elsie Bird, July 13, 1874; Olive Belle, December 28, 1875; Willie Kenna, November 19, 1880. The parents of Dr. McCLUNG, are Alexander and Elenor (THOMPSON) McCLUNG, of Greenbrier County the former born in 1805, and the latter in 1815. Adaline E., wife of Dr. McCLUNG, was daughter of Isaac and Jane (BURNS) THOMPSON. Her father died in this county, March 13, 1876, and her mother is still a resident here. Dr. McCLUNG served as clerk of the board of registration 1866, and was at the same time member of the board of supervisors. He was elected representative from Greenbrier County in 1882, and was elected deputy sheriff in October, 1881. He volunteered for service in the Confederate army in 1861,and was with Buchart's company until that disbanded, when he joined the Greenbrier Cavalry, Company K. He was promoted to lieutenant and drill master in Honshell's battalion, and took part in all the battles of his command. He was three times wounded, twice severely, first at Frederick City, Maryland, then in front of the "Block-house" at Washington, while trying to take his wounded brother, John McCLUNG, off the field. He was captured in Ninevah, but escaped by riding through the Federal lines, and swimming the Shenandoah river three times, then taking to the mountains, reaching his command the next evening. He served until the close of the war. Dr. McCLUNG owns a fine farm on Meadow River, and has been for twenty years a successful practitioner. His post office address is Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
COL. JOEL McPHERSON - is a Virginian, born in Loudoun County, October 28, 1807, a son of John and Sarah (McDONALD) McPHERSON. Since he reached manhood's estate his home has been in Greenbrier County, where he has filled many positions of public trust worthily, and been prominent in the best interests of his adopted home. Greenbrier County does not contain a more upright and useful man, nor one more justly esteemed by all classes of its residents. It was through his influence and personal efforts that the county and other records were saved from destruction during the civil war. On Christmas Day, 1835, Joel McPHERSON received commission from Governor Tazewell as colonel in the State militia, a rank he held many years. He was one of the commissioners for West Virginia in the location of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad through that State, appointed in 1868. Among the county offices he has held are: sheriff, clerk of the county court, clerk of tile circuit court, clerk of the board of supervisors, county recorder. He was also member of the Virginia legislature for Greenbrier, and many years notary public and justice of the peace, the last two offices still filled by him. In Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, July 1, 1830, Joel McPHERSON and Amanda McCLUNG, were wedded. She was born in Greenbrier County, on the 1st day of July, 1808, her marriage day the anniversary of her birth. John and Annie Crawford (BOURLAND) McCLUNG were her parents, her father born in 1782, and her mother in 1784. The father died in 1815, and the mother on the 26th of February, 1826. The children of Col. and Mrs. McPHERSON are recorded: Sarah Ann, born April 16, 1831, died June 21st, following: John Harvey, June 8, 1832, lives in Lewisburg; Washington Wilson, February 22, 1835, died May 17, 1836; Samuel McClung, October 11, 1837, was a very eminent surgeon of the Confederate army under Gen. Wise, and died June 14, 1863, in the service; Mary Copeland (AUSTIN), December 10, 1839, and Rebecca Adaline (HARRIS), March 15, 1845, live at Lewisburg; Joel Crawford, March 13, 1848, was killed by accident on the Richmond & Danville railroad, November 25, 1876; James Calwell, March 1, 1851, lives in Lewisburg. Rebecca Mays McCLUNG, sister of Mrs. McPHERSON living in the colonel's family, was born July 18, 1812. Col. Joel McPHERSON may be addressed at White Sulphur Springs, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
HON. JOSEPH M. McWHORTER - was born in Lewis County, (then) Virginia, April 30, 1828, a son of Fields and Margaret M. (KESTER) McWHORTER. His father was born in Lewis County, October 13, 1807, and is now living in Sullivan County, Missouri; his mother, born in Virginia, in April 1801, died in August, 1856. The first wife of Joseph M. McWHORTER was Julia A. STALNAKER, and she died in July, 1869. Their children were: A. G., born April 15, 1854; Artemus W., June 21, 1855; Louis E., November 30, 1856; Virgil S., September 22, 1858, died October 29, 1859; William B., October 1, 1859; Buell M., September 13, 1861, died September 12, 1862; Maggie E., November 6, 1862; Joseph C., February17, 1864; Walter W., April 11, 1867, died July 1st following; Deccie J., December 16, 1868. In Geneva, Ohio, October 26, 1870, Joseph M. McWHORTER wedded Julia A. KINSLEY, who was born in Cleveland, Ohio, October 26, 1837. Their children were born: Emma L., November 4, 1872; Jennie P., August 3, 1874; Kinsley F., November 25, 1875; Charles N., July 17, 1877. Kinsley F. is deceased, the others with their parents. The wife of Judge McWHORTER was a daughter of Rev. Hiram and Elsie L. (MOULTON) KINSLEY, who are still honored residents of Geneva, Ohio. Her father was born in Franklin County, Vermont, November 17, 1799, and her mother in Stanstead, Canada East, September 27, 1806. The father of Judge McWHORTER was a Federal soldier in the Civil War, serving in the 23rd Missouri Infantry, and two brothers of Judge McWHORTER were members of the 9th Virginia (Federal) Infantry, and one was killed in the battle of Cloyd's Farm. Judge McWHORTER was himself a member of the Roane County Home Guards, operating with the Federal troops in 1861-62. He has been honored with many public offices within the gift of the people; all of them he has filled to the satisfaction of his constituents and to his honor. In Roane County he was clerk of the county court, 1856-62, and again in 1862-3; he was delegate from the same county to the first legislature of West Virginia, in 1863. From March, 1865 to 1869 he was auditor of State of West Virginia, and from 1870 to 1873 was judge of the -- judicial circuit of West Virginia. His home has been in Greenbrier County since 1870, and his postoffice address is Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
JACOB D. MOORE - is the introducer of the famous Shaver plow, and the Hathaway Stove, manufactured by the Ronceverte Foundry Company, and he helped locate all the machinery used by that Company, coming to make his home in Greenbrier County in 1882. He was born in Pennsylvania, October 1, 1832, and his parents are Isaac and Jane (DUTTON) MOORE, both born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in the year 1807. His father died December 30, 1844, and his mother died March 2, 1882. Jacob D. MOORE served in the Union army, Company E, 85th Pennsylvania Infantry, and then three years in Company K, 5th United States Artillery. His brother Isaac A., was a member of Company G, 8th Pennsylvania Reserve, and his brother Abraham served in 140th Pennsylvania Infantry. The first wife of Jacob D. MOORE was Harriet N. BAKER, and she died May 2, 1877, and is buried at Uniontown, Pennsylvania. Their children were nine: Helen R., born January 18, 1855; Isaac, September 30, 1856; Jennie, May 25, 1858; Henry B., January 21, 1860 died in March following; Frank, September 3, 1862; George A., February 6, 1868; Alexander C., June 20, 1871; Aggie, October 25, 1875. The three youngest are with their father, the other living children residents in Pennsylvania. The present wife of Mr. MOORE is Harriet, daughter of John and Elizabeth (BOARD) FRANKENBERRY. They were both born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and her birth was in that county on the 24th of April, 1851. Her father is no longer living. She became the wife of Mr. MOORE in Pennsylvania, May 9, 1878, and they have had three children: Milton K., born May 29, 1879, died December 18, 1879; Lorena L., October 19, 1881, and Carrie B., March 20, 1883. Jacob D. MOORE's post Office address is Ronceverte, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
CAPT. ZACHARIAH F. MORRIS - son of Hazlewood and Rebecca E. (GRIFFIN) MORRIS, was born in Nelson County, Virginia, December 22, 1829. He has been many years one of the substantial farming residents of Anthonys Creek district, Greenbrier County, owning one hundred acres of bottom land, all under cultivation. He has a bearing orchard of apples, peaches, cherries, plums, and grapes, and has 800 acres of upland in timber, oak, ash and sugar. On his land is a sulphur spring, unexcelled in medicinal qualities by any spring in West Virginia. He has been a number of years a notary public, and still ably discharges the duties of the office. August 15, 1853, he married Emily E., daughter of James and Mary M. (LINDSEY) DOLAN, born in Fluvanna County, Virginia, January 22, 1828. Their children were born: James Walton, July 27, 1855; Marion Lindsey, February 8, 1857, died in November, 1860; Mary Rebecca, December 7, 1858; Ida Marshall, September 20, 1860; Robert Lindsey, October 1, 1864; Martha Virginia, August 29, 1867, died September 28, following; Virginia Mit, September 5, 1869; Wyatt, July 11, 1871. Virginia M., is in Lexington, Virginia, the others living in Greenbrier County. Zachariah F. MORRIS entered the Confederate army in the early months of the civil war, and served until its close. He was captain of Company G., 26th Virginia Battalion, and the following are a few of the many engagements in which his company, under his leading, participated: Lewisburg, Cold Harbor, Gaines Mills, Winchester, Fishers Hill, White Sulphur, Handleys, Martinsburg, Kernstown, and Strausburg. He was wounded at White Sulphur, and captured at Roanoke Island at the surrender of Wise and his army. Capt. MORRIS was devoted to his men, and in turn was loved by them. Alvon, Greenbrier County, West Virginia, is his postoffice address.
WILLIAM JASPER MUSTAIN - is a native of Pittsylvania County, Virginia, born January 26, 1833. In the State and county of his birth, on the 25th of January, 1855, he was united in marriage with Martha Jane McCULLOCH, who was born in Pittsylvania county in 1826. Frank and Elizabeth (IRBY) McCULLOCH. now both deceased, were her parents, and Mr. MUSTAIN was a son of Avary and Frances (HARRIS) MUSTAIN. His mother died in Virginia, and his father is still a resident in Pittsylvania County. From August, 1861, until March, 1862, William J. MUSTAIN was a soldier of the Confederate army, serving in Company I, 60th Virginia Infantry, and was discharged. In 1864 he joined the 34th Virginia Cavalry, and served until the war closed. In 1879 he cast his fortunes in with the people of Greenbrier County, settling in Blue Sulphur district, where he follows his trade of millwright and carpenter. Alderson, Monroe County, West Virginia, is his postoffice address.
Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, email@example.com and Ed Johnson, EDEAJ@aol.com , 1998.
Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | P | R | S | T | W |