BIOGRAPHIES, Greenbrier County, WV - "S"
SAMUEL ALEXANDER SCOTT - was born in Greenbrier County, (then) Virginia,
May 6, 1848, and was a son of James Keeble SCOTT, born in Monroe County,
(then) Virginia, January 7, 1809, and Clarissa Ann (BLACK) SCOTT, born
in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, January 25, 1823. They lived in
Greenbrier County until 1849, Fayette County until 1859, Kanawha County
until 1862, and then went to Gallia County, Ohio, where the father died
August 27, 1878; the mother is still a resident of that county. At
Gallipolis, Gallia County, in 1872, Samuel A. SCOTT wedded Justina M.
BLAZER, who was born in Gallia county in 1847. Joseph J. and Emeline
(COWDEN) BLAZER were her parents, the former born in Gallia County about
1817, and the latter born in Trumbull County, Ohio. Her mother died in
Gallia County about 1860, and her father is still living there. Mr. and
Mrs. SCOTT are the parents of four children, born: Clarissa M., October
27, 1874; Joseph B. November 29, 1875; Nellie V., February 2, 1877;
James K., August 20, 1880. In 1879, Samuel A. SCOTT returned to the
county of his nativity, and he is residing in Lewisburg, where he is
manager for the Singer Manufacturing Company.
WILLIAM PAGE SCOTT -- is a son of William Hoover SCOTT and Elizabeth Jane (HILL)
SCOTT, both natives of this county. He was born in Greenbrier County, October 24,
1846 was raised in this county, and in Lewisburg is engaged in the livery business.
His business card appears elsewhere in these pages. In Alleghany County, Virginia,
May 18, 1870, Laura Bell BEARD became the wife of William P. SCOTT, and to them
five children were born: Lillian Brown April 13, 1871; Lucy P., February 25 1873;
Andrew E. August 22, 1875. Samuel F., December 7, 1876; Julia G., July 7,
1881. Samuel F. is deceased and the others living with their father. The wife
and mother departed this life March 18, 1882. She was born in Greenbrier
County, September 18, 1852 daughter of Andrew and Eliza (BROWN) BEARD, both
now deceased. The father and three brothers of Mr. SCOTT were Confederate
soldiers in the war between the States, and two of the brothers, Thomas and
Frank died of the measles while in the service. William P. SCOTT's post office
address is Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
J. T. SHIRES - son of Richard and Millie (NEIL) SHIRES, natives of Monroe County,
(now) West Virginia, was born in Monroe County, and in that county, June 3, 1851,
was united in marriage with Aurilla R. LYNCH. She was born in Monroe County,
as were both her parents, John and Annie (WILIE) LYNCH, now deceased. John R.,
first child of Mr. and Mrs. SHIRES, was born July 10, 1852, and died in 1873.
In their home are nine children: Margaret A., born August 28, 1853; George, October 28,
1857; Martha, April 11, 1860; Cochran, November 1, 1861; American, December
30, 1863; Tanahill, March 28, 1865; Aurilla Roxcena, November 26, 1868; Hugh,
September 26, 1870; Isabel, July 20, 1873. During the years of the war
between the States, J. T. SHIRES was a Confederate soldier, serving first in the
22d Virginia Infantry and in 1864 becoming a member of the "Rocky Pine Greys"
under Capt. Campbell. At present he is engaged in a general mercantile business,
prepared to supply the wants of all that call on him for anything in his line.
Location and address, Ronceverte, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
BALLARD SMITH - was born March 3, 1822, on the farm where he now lives
in Fort Spring District, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The farm is valued
at 310,000, and is one of the best located in the county, springs of living
water abounding in every field. The house in which Mr. SMITH lives was built by
the CLENDENINS, whose massacre by the Indians is recorded elsewhere in this volume,
and in one corner of the general living room is a cupboard that was in the house at
the time of the massacre. It is kept by request of Mr. SMITH's mother, and will
never be removed by any hand but that of Time, the gradual destroyer of all things.
The first wife of Ballard SMITH, Mary G. (CORRELL), was the mother of his six
children: Eliza J., born March 15, 1867, died March 13, 1870; Georgie H.,
January 15, 1869, and Joseph B., February 19, 1870, live at home; Annie Myrtle,
June 22, 1873, died March 31, 1882; William Walter, April 27, 1875, Lillie L.,
April 7, 1877, live at home. On Culverson Creek, Greenbrier County, March 21,
1883, Ballard SMITH wedded Martha C. CORRELL, who was born near Frankford, this
county, in 1830. Moses and Nancy (HARTMAN) CORRELL, her parents, were Virginians,
the former born in Bedford county and the latter in Roanoke County. His birth was
on the 8th of April, 1801, and he is still living in Greenbrier County; his wife,
now deceased, was born February 18, 18O1. Ballard SMITH, born in Virginia in
1774, and Mary J. (DAVIS) SMITH, born in Greenbrier County, both now deceased,
were the parents of the subject of this sketch. His father was a lawyer of
eminence in his profession, represented his county in the legislature, and was
member of Congress. Ballard SMITH's post office address is Lewisburg,
Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
JAMES CLARKE SMITH - is a farmer of Anthonys Creek district, owning
70 acres of good land. He has fifty acres of rich bottom land under
cultivation, and the remainder is upland, well timbered with white pine,
oak and sugar. He was born in Highland County, Virginia, September 14,
1851, a son of Samuel and Mary Ann (KILLINGSWORTH) SMITH, and his parents
settled on Howards Creek, Greenbrier County, about twenty years ago.
At Columbia Sulphur Springs, April 15, 1879, James C. SMITH was united
in marriage with Maggie A. ADAMS, and their two sons were born: Everet,
August 6, 1880; George Raymond, April 18, 1882. Ezekiel and Susan Keister
(DEAN) ADAMS were the parents of Mrs. SMITH, and she was born in
Greenbrier County, at Lewisburg, May 25, 1854. Mr. Smith's eldest
brother, William M., served two years in the Confederate army during the
war between the States. Mr. and Mrs. SMITH have been in the membership
of the Methodist Episcopal Church (South) for about six years. His post
office address is Columbia Sulphur Springs, Greenbrier County, West
SAMUEL J. SMITH -- was born in Louisa County, Virginia, in 1839, and was married
in that State and county, October 25 1858. His wife is Parmelia F. SMITH, born
in Louisa County in 1839, and the three living children of their union are:
N. F., born January 9 1861; and F. B., born May 18, 1866; J. I., born October
27 1874. Laura M., born August 30, 1859, now deceased was the first born of
five children of Mr. and Mrs. SMITH. Robert K. and Elvira T. (GIBSON) SMITH,
parents of Samuel J., were Virginians, his fathers born in Hanover County in
1800 and his mother in Louisa County in 1806. His father died in the last-named
county in 1876. His mother is still a resident of that county. James C. SMITH,
born in King and Queen County, Virginia, August 16, 1800 and Adelia M. (HOPKINS)
SMITH, born in Caroline County, Virginia, March 22 1801, were the parents of
Mrs. SMITH. Both died in Louisa County, Virginia, her father in 1864, and her
mother in 1872. Samuel J. SMITH was four years captain in the Louisa County
militia, 1857-60. He entered the Confederate service during the war between
the States, and was three years a member of the 56th Virginia Infantry. His
brother served in the same army, under "Stonewall" Jackson and was killed but
a short time before that lamented general fell, in the fight near Fredericksburg,
in 1863. In 1876, Samuel J. SMITH came to Greenbrier County, and is established
in a general mercantile business at Lewisburg, which is his place of residence
and post office address.
HON. ADAM CLARKE SNYDER - born in Highland County Virginia, March 26, 1834, was
a son of John and Elizabeth (HALDERMAN) SNYDER, now both deceased. He read
law at the law school of Judge J. W. Brockenbrough, in Lexington, Virginia,
was educated in Dickenson College, Pennsylvania, and Washington College,
Virginia, and admitted to the bar in 1859. In the same year he took up his
residence and entered into practice in Lewisburg, which has since been his
place of residence. During the war between the States he was three years
captain in the 27th Virginia Infantry, Confederate service, Stonewall Brigade.
He was wounded in the side by a minie-ball in the first Manassas battle,
July 21, 1861, and was held prisoner at Wheeling until March, 1864. In
Lewisburg, Greenbrier County in June 1869, Adam Clarke SNYDER and
Henrietta H. CARY were united in marriage and their children were
born: Harry Otey H., February 5, 1873; Verne, January 7, 1876; Kenton,
January 2, 1878; Fred W., 1879; Zuliema, 1881. William and Ophelia
(MATHEWS) CARY, both now deceased, were the parents of Henrietta H.,
wife of Judge SNYDER, and she was born in Lewisburg in January 1841.
Before taking his seat on the bench, Adam C. SNYDER was deputy United
States marshal in 1860, and in 1861-5 he was prosecuting attorney for
Highland County, Virginia. Since April, 1882 he has been judge of the
supreme court of appeals, which office he still holds. His residence
is in Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
MARK L. SPOTTS - was born May 31, 1812, in Lewisburg, Greenbrier County,
where he has lived and had his home to the present date. In Union, Monroe County, (then)
Virginia, on the 4th of July, 1855, he married Virginia W. WIATT who was born in
Lynchburg, Virginia, July 4, 1827. William and Elizabeth (Moyers) SPOTTS, the
parents of Mark L., came to Greenbrier County in their childhood, and died in
Lewisburg in old age, each between the age of 70 and 80 years. The parents of
Virginia W., wife of Mr. SPOTTS, Samuel J. and Sallie L. (BROWN)
WIATT were both natives Lynchburg, Virginia. Mark L. SPOTTS
had a paternal and maternal uncle in the 1812 war, serving in the Northwest,
under Harrison, and sharing all the hardships of that memorable campaign. They
went from Lewisburg, and returned here at the close of the war, spending the
residue of the days in Lewisburg and its vicinity, living to a good old age,
honored of all who knew them. The subject of this sketch was deputy clerk of
the United States district court in 1835, under Col. R. W. Moore; was commissioner
of revenue of Greenbrier County, 1835-54; was justice of Lewisburg District
before the war; was county superintendt of schools from 1852 to the year
1864; was deputy recorder of the county court, 1869-72, inclusive and since
January, 1873, has been clerk of the county court. He has been acting notary
public for the past twelve or fifteen years, and was deputy sheriff 1861-2.
He is at this time the oldest native citizen of Lewisburg living here, and
by his efficient discharge of all the public duties laid upon him, has won and
held the respect of all its citizens.
JAMES H. S. STRATTON - was born at Kanawha Salines, Kanawha County, (then) Virginia,
June 12, 1840. Joseph Dickenson STRATTON was his father, born in Montgomery County,
Virginia, in 1790, and killed by being thrown from a horse, at Perryville, Indiana,
on the Wabash River, in July. 1843. The mother of James H. S., who was born in
Kanawha County, in April, 1817, and whose maiden name was Mary Ann BUSTER, came
to Greenbrier County in 1879, and is still making her home here. The father of
James H. S. STRATTON, and his grandfather, served in the American army during the
war of 1812. May 8, 1861, James H. S. STRATTON entered the Confederate army, and
he served one year in Company H, 22d Virginia Infantry, and from that time to the
surrender he was in the cavalry service. He was in battle at Tuckwillers Hill,
Gordonsville, Liberry Mills, and others on the soil of the "Old Dominion." A half
brother, W. B. ROCK, of Kanawha, served in Jackson's (Confederate) Cavalry. Near
Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, December 9, 1868, James H. S. STRATTON was united in
marriage with Anna May (NELSON) HANDLY, who was born near Lewisburg, October 28,
1846. She is a daughter of Harvey and Mary Caroline Lockhart (BELL) HANDLY. Her father
was born near Lewisburg, October 28, 1817, and her mother, born in Rockbridge County,
Virginia, September 13, 1823, came to Greenbrier County in 1842. Mr. and Mrs.
STRATTON, are the parents of: Joseph Harvey, born October 9, 1869; Mary Theresa,
October 26, 1872; Carrie Bell, April 2, 1875; John Handly, April 30, 1878; Henry
Nelson, January 31, 1882. All are living with their parents in Lewisburg, where
Mr. STRATTON took up his residence in October, 1878. He grew to manhood in Kanawha
County, and for twenty-five years followed the river as clerk and captain on the
Ohio River and its tributaries. In Lewisburg he owns and manages the Lewisburg Hotel,
the best property, it is said, of its kind, in this part of the State, with the
exception of that at White Sulphur Springs. In 1879 he was elected trustee of the
town of Lewisburg, and by subsequent reelections served two succeeding terms.
ANDREW STUART - has the following family record since the first of his line
settled in Greenbrier County: Col. John STUART came to the county first to select
lands, and afterward made his home here, marring Agatha FROGG, who had one
child by a pervious marriage. They settled on the farm on which Fort Spring
was built, and their children were: Margaret Lynn STUART, who married Andrew
LEWIS, of Mason County, (then) Virginia; Jane, married Major Robert CROCKETT;
Charles, married Elizabeth ROBINSON, of Augusta County, Virginia. The children
of Lewis and Sallie (LEWIS) STUART were: Elizabeth, who died aged eleven years;
Jane, who married Samuel PRICE; Agnes, married Charles PEYTON, of Albemarle
County, Virginia (he belonged to the JEFFERSON family); John, who died aged twenty;
Rachel married Gen. A. W. G. DAVIS, of Kentucky; Charles, lives in Texas,
Lewis died in Texas; Margaret, who married Col. James W. DAVIS; Henry,
resides in this county; Andrew, subject of this sketch, who married Sallie
CABELL, and owns the STUART homestead. It is a handsome property, the
substantial stone residence, built by Col. John STUART, presenting that
solid and imposing appearance so rarely seen in an American home, and so
characteristic of the combined firmness and fortitude of its builder.
Andrew STUART's address is Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
AUGUSTUS BRADFORD STUART - is a descendant of Col. John STUART, whose record is
elsewhere given in this book as the first settler in the now populous region of
Greenbrier County. William Robinson STUART, born in Augusta County, Virginia,
in 1813, and Lucy Ann (BRADFORD) STUART, born in Madison County, Virginia, were
the parents of Augustus Bradford STUART, and he was born in Richlands, Greenbrier
County, July 14, 1851. His mother died June 30, 1864. Charles A. and William R.
STUART, his brothers, were soldiers of the Confederate army during the years of
the war between the States, and both returned home uninjured. July 14, 1875, in
Greenbrier county, Rev. W. K. WILLIAMS officiating at the marriage rite, Augustus
B. STUART was joined in wedlock with Laura Jane WILLIAMS, and their children are
one son and one daughter: Lucy Bradford, born July 20, 1876; James Williams, August
13, 1877. The wife of Mr. STUART was born on Culbertson Creek, Lewisburg District,
Greenbrier County, February 6, 1855, a daughter of S. B. and Margaret R. (BURR)
WILLIAMS. Her father was born on Culbertson Creek, August 26, 1830, her mother
on Sinking Creek, this district, December 1, 1830, and they now residing on the
waters of Sinking Creek, where her father is farming. Mrs. STURAT is descended
from Thomas WILLIAMS, who was murdered by Indians in 1763. Augustus B. STUART
is farming in Lewisburg district, with post office address at Richlands, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.
The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II, pg. 625-626
COLONEL JOHN STUART was the most famous pioneer of Greenbrier County,
the founder of a family of conspicuous citizenship there, and his
descendants are still represented in that section of the state.
His father, David Stuart, was born in Scotland a connection of the
House of Stuarts, and participants in the movement to place Charles Edward
Stuart on the English throne, a movement that culminated in failure at
the battle of Culloden in 1746. David Stuart came to America soon after
that battle, settling on the Shenandoah River in August County, Virginia.
He was a personal friend of Governor Robert Dinwiddie, who appointed him
in 1755 county lieutenant of Augusts County, with the rank of colonel. He
was well qualified to serve this important office. David Stuart died in
1767, having been drowned while crossing a branch of the Shenandoah River.
His wife was Margaret Lynn Paul, widow of John Paul, a granddaughter of
the Laird of Loch Lynn, Scotland, a niece of Margaret Lynn, wife of Col.
John Lewis and the mother of General Andrew and Col. Charles Lewis, heroes
of the Battle of Point Pleasant.
Col. John Stuart was the only son of David and Margaret Lynn Stuart,
and was born at Hebron in Augusta County, March 17, 1749. He exhibited at
an early age extraordinary vigor both in body and mind. By the time he was
seventeen years of age he was said to have acquired an excellent education
both from books and the affairs of life. While young he participated in a
number of surveying and prospecting expeditions to the west and north of
the then permanent settlements in August County, which brought him into
contact with men of various classes and character. On these expeditions
he saw much of Indian life.
All of the attempted settlements in Greenbrier having failed prior to
that time, in the year 1769 an expedition was organized by citizens of
Augusta and adjoining counties, having for its purpose a permanent
settlement in that beautiful and inviting country afterwards called
Greenbrier County. Of this company John Stuart, then only twenty years
of age, was a member. These pioneers came to Greenbrier in the spring of
1769. After arriving in this wild country the settlers found it necessary
to organize for definite course of action, on account of developments to
be made in their new home, for protection against the Indians and the many
dangers by which they were surrounded. John Stuart was chosen their chief
adviser and first officer.
He first located near where the town of Frankford now stands, where he
built his first home, overlooking a beautiful view towards the east. This
place he called "Grunble Thorp." Here he erected the first mill built in
Greenbrier, which was propelled by a subterranean stream of considerable
volume dowing through a channel cut out by the Indians, to which they had
access through the mouth of a large cave. The dam, a large part of which
is still standing, was built of stone, and located about 200 feet from
the entrance to the cave. The mill itself stood just outside of the mouth
of the cave.
He soon moved from his first residence to what is now known as the
"Old Stuart Place," about four miles below Lewisburg on the Fort Spring road.
Here he first erected a log house, in which he lived until the year 1789,
when he built a large stone house of the old English style, which is now
the oldest house in the country. This building is still in a state of good
preservation and is at this time the residence of his great-grandson,
Samuel Lewis Price. Here John Stuart lived for many years, leading an
active, busy life, engaged in vanona occupations and acting for the
settlers as adviser and chief defender against the Indians.
Within a quarter of a mile from the place where the stone house was
afterwards built there was erected what was first known as "Fort Stuart"
and afterwards called "Fort Spring," at the spot where the old Fort Spring
Church now stands, which was placed under the command and supervision of
Colonel Stuart. At the time this fort was built a large number of settlers
of Greenbrier County lived near and it was used as a refuge during several
Indian attacks, of which no mention is made in history.
Colonel John Stuart commanded one of the companies from Greenbrier
County in the expedition commanded by General Andrew Lewis at the battle
of Point Pleasant in 1774. After that battle, on account of the heavy loss
of officers, he was put in command of a large portion of the army. The last
of the desperate attacks made by the Indians upon the settlers of Greenbrier
occurred in 1778, when a band of Indians crossed over from beyond the Ohio
River, surprised and surrounded the settlers of Fort Donally, in what is
now known as Radus Valley. The fort was located about eight miles northwest
of Ft. Union, where Lewisburg now stands. Colonel Stuart led the enforcement
from Ft. Union, raised the siege and drove the Indians off. Within a few
days after this attack he was able to raise a sufficient force to drive
and frighten the Indians out of the country.
Colonel John Stuart waa appointed clerk of the County of Greenbrier,
which was organized in 1776. He was appointed in 1780. He was a member of
the Virginia Constitutional Convention of 1788, and was a strong advocate
for the ratification of the Federal constitution. He was appointed colonel
of the Seventy-ninth Regiment of Militia in 1793. He and his wife, Agatha,
were large contributors for the building of the old stone church at Lewisburg
in 1796. Col. John Stuart possessed a large library for a pioneer, was a man
of splendid literary attainments and a finished scholar, was a member of the
American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia, and in 1797 he wrote
"Memoirs of Indian Wars and other Occurrences," which remained in manuscript
until published in 1833 by the Virginia Historical Society. This is one of
the important sources of history for everything connected with the early
settlement of the Greenbrier. He also left another historical work, entitled
"A Narrative," also descriptive of conditions in Greenbrier and the great
Kanawha Valley. Colonel Stuart possessed great executive and financial
ability, and amassed a large fortune for his time. Some of the lands he
acquired are still owned by his descendants. He resigned his post as clerk
of the County Court December 22, 1807. The first clerk's office was built
by him in his own yard, and that building is still standing. He also gave
the site upon which the first Court House was erected. Col. John Stuart
died August 18, 1823, in his seventy-fifth year.
November 18, 1776, he married Mrs. Agatha Frogg, widow of Col. William
Frogg, who was killed at the battle of Point Pleasant. She was a granddaughter
of Col. John Lewis, and a daughter of Thomas Lewis, who was a brother of
General Andrew and Col. Charles Lewis. The four children of Col. John Stuart
and wife were: Margaret Lynn, born December 31, 1777, and married Andrew Lewis;
Jane Lewis Stuart, born February 16, 1780, married Robert Crockett;
Charles Augustus Stuart, born April 23, 1782, married Elizabeth Robinson;
and Lewis Stuart, born May 14, 1784.
Lewis Stuart, second son of Col. John Stuart, succeeded to the possession
of the old Stuart home place, and lived there all his life. He served as clerk
of the County Court as successor to his father from September 22, 1807, until
June 1, 1830. He was commissioned the first clerk of the Superior Court of
Law and Chancery of Greenbrier County, April 17, 1809, and held that office
until 1831. Aside from his official duties he maintained a generous home,
was fond of good horses, had a genius for friendship and is said to have
been one of the best loved men in the whole Greenbrier country.
October 15, 1807, he married Sarah Lewis, daughter of Col. John Lewis of
Bath County, and granddaughter of Col. Charles Lewis, who was killed at Point
Pleasant. To their marriage were born five sons and five danghters: John,
born July 26, 1814 Charles A., born June 5, 1818, Lewis, born September 7,
1820, all of whom went West where John died February 19, 1838, Charles,
July 4, 1888, and Lewis, December 19, 1860. Henry Stuart born October 31,
1824, lived on a farm at Richlands Greenbrier County, and died September 5,
1902. He married, July 12, 1871, Nannie Watkins. Andrew Stuart born March 12,
1827, lived at the old Stuart place near Fort Spring Church, and died in 1892.
He married Sallie Cabell. Elizabeth Stuart, born January 13, 1809, died August 9,
1819. Rachel Stuart, born May 30, 1816, became the wife of A. W. G. Davis, and
they lived near Fort Spring Station. Agnes Stuart, born September 2, 1812,
died January 15, 1899. She married Charles S. Peyton, and they lived at Richlands.
Margaret Stuart, born September 15, 1822, and died in 1903, married Col. James W.
Davis, and they lived on a farm half a mile below the old Stuart place. Jane
Stuart, born September 17, 1810, was married February 6, 1837, to Governor
Samuel Price. She was woman of remarkable intellect and great personal charm.
She died August 14, 1873.
After Lewis Stuart's death Beau Desert and the large estate connected with
it remained in the possession and under the management of his widow Sarah Lewis
Stuart, until after her death, which occurred March 5, 1853. She was born in
February, 1790. She was a famous beauty, and until her death was noted for her
striking personal appearance. She was fond of the social side of life, and
maintained as a widow the hospitality which had characterized the home during
the life of her husband. She was also a woman of remarkable strength of character,
of a cultivated, forceful and vigorous mind, and she displayed remarkable executive
ability in the management of the estate.
CHRISTOPHER SYDENSTRICKER - born April 25, 1846, in Greenbrier County,
was a son of Andrew and Frances (COFFMAN) SYDENSTRICKER, who were
natives of Greenbrier County, the former born March 9, 1813, and the
latter born May 24, 1813. In the last year of the civil war Christopher
SYDENSTRICKER was conscripted into the Confederate service, and he served
in the 26th Virginia Battalion, from November 17, 1864, until the end of
the war. May 19, 1869, in Rich Hollow, this county, he was united in
marriage with Elizabeth T. JOHNSON, and their children, six living and
one deceased, were born: John Wesley, February 26, 1870; Eugene,
September 9, 1872; Mary Margaret, March 9, 1875; Hubert, April 10,
1877; Malinda F., December 11, 1878; Raymond M., February 22, 1881,
died May 24, 1882; Wallace R., march 15, 1883. Christopher
SYDENSTRICKER's wife was born in Rich Hollow, May 21, 1849.
John Treble JOHNSON, her father, was born in Amherst County, Virginia,
April 9, 1807, and her mother, whose maiden name was Caroline TUCKWILLER,
was born in Greenbrier County, May 28, 1817, and died in this county, at
rich Hollow, November 13, 1873. Mr. SYDENSTRICKER has been an active
Sunday school worker for sixteen years, and is still engaged in the
cause of the Master, untiring and zealous in his service. He has been
a farmer since returning from the war, and is located in Falling Spring
District, with post office address at Frankford, Greenbrier County, West
HENRY SYDENSTRICKER, Sr. - son of Philip and Elizabeth SYDENSTRICKER,
was born in Pennsylvania, February 17, 1785. In Greenbrier County,
December 21, 1808, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth, daughter
of Samuel FLESHMAN, who was born in Pennsylvania, her nativity on the
day of his birth. The record of their children is: Michael, born
October 16, 1809, died in 1869; Samuel, December 11, 1810, lives in
Vinton County, Ohio; Lewis, May 30, 1812, lives at Irish Corners,
this county; Henry, January 18, 1814, lives at home or in Alvon;
Catherine, January 3, 1816, lives at home; James, January, 27, 1818,
died in 1862; John, January 17, 1821, died August 15, 1837. James was
a soldier of the Confederacy in the opening months of the war between
the States, and died in the service, in Mercer County, (now) West Virginia.
Henry SYDENSTRICKER owns a farm of 260 acres, 80 acres fenced, the soil
good and well improved, located on Anthonys Creek, in the district of
that name, and about two and a half miles from Alvon. The farm not under
cultivation is well timbered with excellent oak and plenty of white pine;
iron ore of good quality, and probably coal, abounds. The family post
office address is Alvon, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
Biography on James H. SYDENSTRICKER
Taken from the newspaper, "The Odessa Democrat", Odessa, Lafayette County,
Missouri, Friday, 23 Nov 1923, Vol. 41, Front page.
HIS HORSE SHOT UNDER HIM
OLD CONFEDERATE SOLDIER HAD EXCITING EXPERIENCES IN CONFLICT.
There are no better citizens in Lafayette county than James. H.
Sydenstricker, who lives at Second and Chestnut streets in Odessa.
He was born in Greenbrier county, Virginia (now West Virginia)
October 27, 1841, therefore he was eighty-two years old last month.
Mr. Sydenstricker is a son of Michael and Hannah (Hapstonstall)
Sydenstricker, a native of Germany, who in an early day came to
America and settle in Virginia.
James H. Sydenstricker grew up on a farm in Virginia and early
began to make his own way in the world and received his education
in the log school houses of that period. When the war between the
States began he espoused the cause of the South and in June 1861
he enlisted in Company D. fourteenth Virginia Cavalry, and was an
active participant in the battles of Cannafax Ferry, Roanoke, (N.C.)
Fisher's Hill, Winchester, Martinsburg, Gettysburg, Spencerville,
Opequon, Harrisburgh and Front Royal. He was captured in November,
1864, and taken to Point Lookout, Maryland, and discharged from
prison the latter part of May, 1865.
Constantly exposed to danger and privations, Mr. Sydenstricker
was fortunate in never being wounded, but he was captured four times
during the time he served the Confederacy. He was a Corporal when taken
prisoner first at Roanoke, North Carolina. After 14 days he was exchanged.
Later he was captured at Lewisburgh but escaped; then made a prisoner at
Lynchburgh, but again escaped, and in the last encounter had six bullet
holes shot through his overcoat and his horse shot from under him. At
the close of the war Mr. Sydenstricker entered upon the duties of farming
until 1866 when he went to Carrollton and worked in a furnace for six
months, making oil. In July, 1866, he went to Vinton county, Ohio where
for three years he worked on a farm.
In September 1869, Mr. Sydenstricker came to Missouri and located in
Lafayette county, near Mayview. Here he bought a farm and by working
hard soon began to prosper.
Mr. Sydenstricker was married to Miss Sarah E. Whitsitt, a native
of Jassemine county, Kentucky, and a daughter of Preston and Catherine
(Hunter). The Whitsitt family came to Lafayette county in 1858. Mr.
and Mrs. Sydenstricker have 7 living children as follows: Rev. S. V.
Sydenstricker of Fulda, Minnesota, Clemmons Sydenstricker, Albert
Sydenstricker, Mrs. Ed Stanfield, Mrs. Frank Ramsey, Mrs. G.C.
Peerson and Mrs. Will Hannah, all of this section. They also have
15 grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
Since 1871 Mr. Sydenstricker has been a member of the Cumberland
Presbyterian church and on September 15, 1880, he was ordained a
ruling elder of that denomination and is still holding that office.
He is always ready to aid his church in any way possible. Politically
Mr. Sydenstricker is an ardent Democrat and although past 82 years of
age, he still takes great interest in all things pertaining to the good
of his community.
Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, email@example.com, Darla Ruebush, firstname.lastname@example.org
and Ed Johnson, EDEAJ@aol.com
Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.
Index of Biographies