BIOGRAPHIES, Greenbrier County, WV - "W"
C. B. WAID - born in Greenbrier county, February 25, 1827, and Elizabeth S.
WHITE, born in this county February 14, 1826, were here united in marriage
December 29, 1846. Their children are five, all living in Greenbrier
county, born: Ezra, February 21, 1851; Lewis C., June 9, 1853; Samuel
F., January 7, 1855; Elizabeth C., June 8, 1856; William S., July 2, 1869.
C.B. WAID was a son of John and Elizabeth (BEARD) WAID, both of whom were
natives of Bath county, Virginia, his wife's parents were James and Phebe
(WHITMAN) WHITE, her mother was born while her parents were journeying to
America across the ocean. C.B. WAID entered the service of the Confederacy
in the early part of 1862 as a member of Company E, 60th Virginia Infantry,
but in April, 1863, was transferred to the 26th Virginia Battalion. He
participated in the seven days fight before Richmond, and the battles of
Handleys Hill, Lewisburg, Droop Mountain, Cold Harbor, Lynchburg, and
others of less note. He was satisfied then, and is still of opinion,
that the Confederate States might have achieved Independence by wise
management, if not in the field then by strategic movement in cutting
off the Federal supplies. Mr. WAID has a farm or 425 acres, upon which
he resides in Anthonys Creek district, on "Waid's Draft." about two miles
from Alvon. His land is well improved, with good orchard and finely
timbered upland, and contains a marble quarry superior in quality and
inexhaustible in quantity, black and variegated marble. He receives his
mail at the office at Alvon, Greenbrier county, West Virginia.
D. W. WEAVER - is a native of the "Keystone State," born in Centre County,
Pennsylvania, January 19, 1833. His parents, Jacob and Margaret (DUNKLE) WEAVER,
were both born in that State and county, the former April 5, 1809, and the
latter on the 31st of October, 1811. His mother died in July, 1857, and his
father in 1862. The first wife of D. W. WEAVER was Margaret J. FRAZIER. Their
marriage was solemnized February 24, 1857, and she died May 16, 1865. Their children
were two, both now living with their father: Mary E, born May 12, 1860; Ferdinand P.,
August 19, 1861. In Bellefonte, Centre County, Pennsylvania, July 12,
1866, D. W. WEAVER and Lucretia C. FRAZIER were joined in wedlock, and
their children are four: Charles C., born May 10, 1867; William H., July
24, 1871; Cora M., March 2, 1873; Maud, August 7, 1877. Lucretia C.,
wife of Mr. WEAVER, was born in Washington County, Maryland, February 8, 1845,
a daughter of John and Elizabeth (LUCAS) FRAZIER. Her father was born in Glasgow,
Scotland, in 1802, her mother in Centre County, Pennsylvania, December 8, 1812,
and the former died in Snowshoe Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania, in March 1861.
While the latter has made her home in Greenbrier County since 1876.
April 4, 1874, D. W. WEAVER took up his residence in Greenbrier County, and in
Ronceverte he is engaged in business as sawyer and carpenter. Ronceverte, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia, is his post office address.
JOHN F. WEAVER -- was a son of Jacob and Margaret (DUNKLE) WEAVER,
whose record has just been given, and he married Mollie E. FRAZIER, whose
parents were John and Elizabeth (LUCAS) FRAZIER, whose record is also in
the preceding sketch. John F. WEAVER was born in Centre County,
Pennsylvania, December 19, 1839, and his wife was born in Washington
County, Maryland, July 10, 1841. Their marriage was solemnized in
Centre County, Pennsylvania, May 10, 1863, and their children were two:
Edwin J., now in attendance at school in Concord, was born March 26, 1864;
John F. WEAVER enlisted in Company E, 5th Pennsylvania Reserves, Federal
army. He served twenty-two months, and then enlisted in Company F, 200th
Pennsylvania Volunteers, serving nine months. He was engaged in many of
the hard-fought battles of the war, among them: Merchanicsville, Gaines
Mills, Charles City, Cross Roads, in which he was wounded in the shoulder
and taken prisoner. He was confined in Libby prison about four weeks, then
paroled and sent to Fortress Monroe, where he lay five weeks in the hospital.
He was sent thence to Annapolis, Maryland, then to Alexandria, and then he
rejoined his regiment, November 10, 1862. He was then in the battle of
Fredericksburg, December 11-13, and was wounded in the right thigh. He
lay in Washington until he received discharge, February 22, 1863, from his
first term of enlistment. During his second term of enlistment he was in
the battle of Fort Stedman, and the charge on Petersburg April 2, 1865, and returned
home June 5, 1865. He is a member of the Messiah Church and firmly holds to the
doctrine taught in that church. His business is lumbering, his post office address
Ronceverte, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
AUGUSTUS E. WHITE - born in Augusta County, Virginia, was a son of John D. and
Eliza A. (TEABO) WHITE, both natives of Augusta County. His father was born in 1825,
his mother in 1826, and his birth was in 1849. In 1876 they accompanied him on his
settlement in Greenbrier County in that year, and his father was killed by a
shifting train on the railroad, while trying to rescue his little grandson,
Henry K. WHITE, at Ronceverte, in 1882. In the war between the States, A. E.
WHITE was orderly for the quartermaster's department, at Staunton, Virginia,
under Major H. M. Bell, Confederate service. He had a brother who was killed
at Staunton by an explosion of a magazine. At Covington, Virginia, in 1871,
Augustus E. WHITE was united in marriage with Mollie M. WHITE, and in the
home they established are four children, born to them: Ernest M., May 29,
1873; Henry Kirke, May 30, 1876; Stella B., September 5, 1878; John A.,
August 30, 1822. Capt. Norman B. WHITE, born in Augusta County, Virginia,
married Sarah E. FEAMSTER, who was born in Greenbrier County, Augustus E.
WHITE has been marshal of the town of Lewisburg, and mayor of Ronceverte.
He is engaged in dealing in general machinery, all kinds of farming machinery,
wagons, buggies, and fertilizers, doing a large business in nearly all the
counties of West Virginia and many of the border counties of
Virginia, and is also State agent for three of the largest engine and saw
mill manufacturers in Ohio, the C. G. Cooper & Co. machine works of Mt.
Vernon, Ohio. His post office address is Ronceverte, Greenbrier County,
RICHARD D. WHITE - born March 18, 1824, on Howards Creek, Greenbrier
County, was a son of William and Rebecca (ORR) WHITE, who came from
Ireland to Greenbrier County in 1817, and were among the prominent
settlers here in that early day. November 15, 1853, in Fayette County,
(now) West Virginia, the words were spoken joining the lives of Richard D.
WHITE and Mary MASTERS. In the home established by their union joy and
sorrow has been the portion seven children were born to them, and death
has taken four away, two dying on the same day. These children were:
Charles, born February 9, 1855; Sarah Alice, May 7, 1857; John Stack,
April 19, 1860, died August 10, 1864; Henry Lee, November 8, 1863, died
August 10, 1864; Catharine R., June 25, 1868; Peter Cartwright, January
30, 1871, died June 13, 1879; Frederick L., January 30, 1875, died June
28, 1879. The living children are all at at home. Mrs. WHITE was born
in Grassy Meadows, Greenbrier County, January 12, 1830, a daughter of
George and Catharine (DEITZ) MASTERS. Richard D. WHITE was a member of
Company G, 26th Virginia Battalion, Confederate army, during the civil
war, and took part in the engagements of Pottotomy Creek, Cold Harbor,
Lynchburg, and Winchester, and was wounded on the field of Winchester,
September 19, 1864. He received in the left breast a shot from a Belgium
rifle, and fell, it was thought, mortally wounded. He was taken prisoner,
also, and sent to Point Lookout, but courage and a good constitution took
him though, and he was paroled, upon his partial recovery, reaching home
March 25, 1865. He owns and carries on 1515 acres of land, well improved
and well timbered, and the best stone coal in Anthonys Creek district is
found on the land. About 150 acres is fertile bottom land. His location
is three miles from Alvon, which is his postoffice address.
GEORGE WHITE - born on the headwaters of Howards Creek, Greenbrier County,
December 11, 1821, was a son of William and Rebecca (ORR) WHITE, who located
in this district in 1817, coming direct from Ireland. Both were natives of
Ireland, the father born in 1784, and the mother in 1788, and they died in
Greenbrier County, the father on the 29th of July, 1849, and the mother on
the 1Oth of February, 1874. On Anthonys Creek, June 10, 1856, George WHITE was
united in marriage with Elizabeth J. RODGERS, and the children of their union
are one daughter and one son: Mary Virginia, born June 5, 1857; George Lake,
February 13, 1860. William and Julia (RUCKER) RODGERS, Virginians by birth,
the latter born in 1785, were the parents of Elizabeth J. RODGERS, and she
was born after their settlement in Greenbrier County on Anthonys Creek, on
the last day of the year 1821. Her father was a soldier of the 1812 war.
Mr. WHITE's brother, Richard Dickson, was a member of Edgars battalion,
Confederate service, during the war between the States. He was severely
wounded at Winchester, shot through the left breast. George WHITE by untiring
energy, industrious looking after his possessions and economical expenditures,
has amassed one of the best properties in Greenbrier County. He has 824 acres
of land in this county, and about 450 acres in Alleghany County, Virginia.
Iron ore is round on his property, and the Chesapeake & Ohio road runs
through his farm. His post office address is White Sulphur, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.
ALBERT GALLATIN WILLIAMS - son of John and Jane (KNIGHT) WILLIAMS, was
born August 6, 1831, in a small log cabin at Lick Ford on Culbertson
Creek, owned now by the heirs of Wallace RADER. His father was born
April 4, 1793, in a cabin 200 yards east of Salem Church, and his
mother was born near Culberton, one mile east of Maysville, August
10, 1803. She died April 2, 1858, on Sinking Creek, at the BURR
place, and John WILLIAMS died May 2, 1863, at Samuel THOMPSON's
one mile east of Lewisburg. The first wife of Albert G. Williams
was Nancy DONALLY, whom he married January 1, 1854, and their
children are three: James Bryson, born October 20, 1854;
Luther J., October 18, 1856; John B., November 19, 1861.
She died in April, 1862. She was a daughter of John DONALLY,
twin brother of Tommy DONALLY, first settlers of this county.
It is said of these twin-brothers that they looked so much alike
you could not tell "which was the other one." Both were noted in
their day for strength of body and vigor of mind. At Salem Church,
near Maysville, January 1, 1863, Albert G. WILLIAMS married Elizabeth
A. DONALLY, and their children were born: Dora Belle, June 7, 1864;
Elizabeth Jane, March 25, 1866; Ulysses A., August 2, 1868;
Thomas M., July 16, 1871; Howard Elmer, June 10, 1875. Ulyssess
died March 31, 1870, and the others are with their parents.
Elizabeth A. DONALLY was born on Wolf Creek, Monroe County, (then)
Virginia, June 6, 1831, a daughter of James and Hannah (DUNBAR)
DONALLY. Her parents were born in Monroe County, her father in
1806, and her mother on Christmas Day, 1805, and her father died
in April, 1864, near Centreville, Upshur County, where her mother
is still living with Mr. WILLIAMS, and Mary M., now wife of Rev.
D. C. HEDRICK. John WILLIAMS, great-grandfather of A. G., was born
in Wales about 1714. He came to America about 1736, and married
Mary McCOY and they settled on Sinking Creek, in Greenbrier County.
He fell a victim to the Indians, where S. B. WILLIAMS now lives.
David, grandfather of A. G., then an infant in his mother's arms,
was taken prisoner by the Indians, and at a later date exchanged.
He married Margaret, daughter of John McMILLION, and settled on the
farm now owned by his youngest son, James. Here his house was always
the home of the itinerant preacher, and he lived an earnest, Christian
life, and was the founder of the old Salem Church. Albert Gallatin
WILLIAMS is farmer, grazier and dealer in real estate. He was assessor
for the lower district of Greenbrier County, 1866-7. He filled the
place of school commissioner, employed teachers, paid them out of his
own funds, furnished schoolhouse, and for a large part of his
disbursements has never been repaid. He receives his mail at Big
Clear Creek, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
GEORGE W. WILLIAMS - born in Greenbrier County, August 10, 1833, in
this county, April 25, 1866, was united in marriage with Elizabeth
Jane McCLUNG, who was born in Greenbrier County in 1841. Minnie
Virginia, their oldest child, was born February 15, 1867; Lena E.,
was born May 8, 1868; Callie E., September 20, 1871; Ida S.,
December 21, 1873; Cassius M., December 6, 1875, and Harry Stuart,
May 20, 18879. John WILLIAMS, father of George W., and son of David
WILLIAMS, was born in Williamsburg District, April 17, 1794, and he
married Jane, daughter of James KNIGHT, Sr., her birth in
Williamsburg District in 1808. She died in this district, April 2,
1858, and John WILLIAMS died in Lewisburg, May 12, 1863. He was
seven years deputy sheriff of Greenbrier County, and was one of the
prominent citizens who were instrumental in bringing the Chesapeake
and Ohio railroad through this county. He always gave his best
endeavors to internal improvements of his native county, and,
although a Methodist in religious faith, gave liberally to the
cause of education regardless of creed. He was proprietor of the
Blue Sulphur Springs, in this county, and gave several thousand
dollars to the founding and building of the Allegheny College at
that place. He was two years a soldier of the 1812 war-in politics
a Whig and then a Democrat. He was a Welsh descent, a descendant
of Thomas WILLIAMS, who came here from Augusta county and was murdered
and had his children carried off by the Indians. At one time John
WILLIAMS was the largest land-owner in the county, having 153,900
acres in one survey, and 200,000 in all. Russell and Sarah (McCLINTOCK)
McCLUNG, born in Williamsburg District, were the parents of Elizabeth J.
(McCLUNG) WILLIAMS. Her father died about 1849, and her mother in
October, 1865. At the outbreak of the civil war, George W. Williams
was a student in the Virginia University, educating for the bar.
He abandoned study, entered the Confederate army, and on many a
hard-fought field did a soldier's duty. He served first in the
69th Virginia, known as "Wise's Legion," and when that disbanded
at Richmond, in 1862, he entered the 13th Battalion of Artillery,
where he served until 1864, when he was promoted major of signal
corps, on General Breckenridge's staff, till the war ended. Since
the war he has been engaged in farming, and is a local minister of
the Methodist Protestant Church, Greenbrier circuit. He represented
this county in the legislature, in 1872, and was re-elected in 1874.
During his second term the capital controversy raged and he was one
of the supporters of Charleston for the capital. His post office
address is Williamsburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
JOHN MCELHENY WILLIAMS - born in Braxton County, (then) Virginia, April
24, 1826, was twelve years old when his parents, Joseph and Martha (BROWN)
WILLIAMS, who were natives of Greenbrier County, came back to make their
home here. Both are now deceased, his father's death occurring in 1880.
Mr. WILLIAMS is settled in Falling Spring District, farming and raising
stock, and when he came here the valley was almost entirely uncultivated
and wild game abounded, but now the land is almost all settled and the
game has disappeared. The farm of Mr. WILLIAMS is historic ground, as
the memorable battle of Droop Mountain was fought upon it, one of the most
momentous engagements of the civil war. Mr. WILLIAMS served in the Federal
army throughout the struggle of four years, and did some service for the
government besides. In 1866 he was supervisor in his district, and sat on
the bench of that court for one year. He was two years member of the board
of registration, one year by appointment from Governor Boreman, and one year
appointed by Governor Stevenson. In Pocahontas County, (then) Virginia,
March 4, 1852, John Mc. WILLIAMS and Sarah KELLISON were joined in wedlock,
and to them were born ten children: Martha Susanna, June 13, 1853; Rachel
Arminta, April 28, 1855; Minerva Hester, December 7, 1856; Albert Luther,
March 29, 1859; James Robert, May 1, 1861; Mary Frances, July 10, 1863;
Waitman T. W., September 7, 1866; Washington Raymond, May 9, 1869; Edmund
Cornell, September 15, 1872; Wilson Lawrence, February 2, 1874. James R.
lives in Ellsworth County, Kansas, Minerva H. in Augusta County, Virginia;
Martha and Rachel have homes of their own in Greenbrier County, and the
other children are with their parents. Sarah, wife of Mr. Williams, was
born in Pocahontas County, December 4, 1834 a daughter of James and Susanna
(McCOLUMN) KELLISON. Mt. Murphy, Pocahontas County, West Virginia, is the
post office address of John Mc. WILLIAMS.
L. JUDSON WILLIAMS (Republican), was born in Greenbrier county,
October 18, 1856. His ancestors were pioneers of that county. He was educated
in the common schools and the West Virginia University, and took his law course
in the University of Virginia. After spending some time in teaching, he was ad-
mitted to the bar in 1888 and later formed a law partnership with Judge Charles
S. Dice, under the firm name of Williams & Dice, which firm had a large and
important practice in the State and Federal Courts.
Judge Williams was a member of the State Tax Commission of 1901-2 and
assisted in drafting the bills which were the basis of the new tax system adopted
in 1904. From 1903 to 1908, he was a member of the State University Board of
Regents and took great interest in the duties of that position.
In 1908 he was the Republican nominee for the supreme bench, and was elected.
He has served two terms as president of that august tribunal. His
painstaking application to his judicial duties, and his clear and comprehensive
written opinions, have won the commendation of the bar of the State. His
judicial temperament, persistent industry and physical vigor give promise of
long continued usefulness on the bench.
Judge Williams is a thirty-second degree Mason, an active official in the Metho-
dist Episcopal Church, South, and is identified with several charitable organiza-
tions. His public spirit is shown in the uniform interest he takes in community
betterment and the State's welfare.
MORGAN WILLIAMS - is a son of early and prominent settlers of Greenbrier
County, Hensen and Sarah (WESTLICK) WILLIAMS. They were in life loved
and respected by all who knew them, and their son is universally respected,
no man standing higher in the county. He was born near Frankford, June 18,
1818, and his wedded life there began, on the 7th of October, 1841. She
who has shared more than forty years of wedded life with him was Jane
HANNAH, born near Frankford, October 14, 1813. She was a daughter of
Joseph and Polly (BLAIR) HANNAH, now many years dead. In the civil war,
Mr. WILLIAMS lost one brother-in-law, and several distant relatives,
killed in the Confederate service. The farm for many years owned by
Morgan WILLIAMS, and whose cultivation he still superintends, is well
situated on Little Creek, in Anthonys Creek district, three miles from
Alvon, eleven from Frankford, twenty from Lewisburg, and twelve from
White Sulphur Springs. His postoffice address is Alvon, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.
JOHN R. WILLS - born in Nelson County, Virginia, August 24, 1833, was a son of
John W. and Mary (SAUNDERS) WILLS, who were born in Nelson County, the former
in about 1801, and the latter about 1810, and who are now residents in Botetourt
County, Virginia. In the war between the States, John R. WILLS enlisted in the
Confederate ranks, in Company H, 28th Virginia Infantry, and was transferred to
Company A. He served one year as a private and then received a captain's
commission, and acted as regimental commissary until the office was abolished,
August, 1863. He then reported at Buchanan, Botetourt County, and was employed
in shipping supplies, having general supervision of the same until the close
of the war. He is now farming in Blue Sulphur district, Greenbrier County,
where he settled October 15, 1879, and he was in charge 2,665 acres of grazing
land, for a Philadelphia owner, and is largely engaged in stock-raising. In
Buchanan, Botetourt County, Virginia, May 28, 1857, John R. WILLS and Julia
FARISS were united in marriage, and of their union were born: John J.,
June, 1858, died same month; Mollie F. and Clara M., September 27, 1859;
Nora P., March 2, 1865 - all living are in Botetourt County. Julia, wife of
Mr. WILLS, was born in Buckingham County, Virginia, in June, 1835, a daughter
of James and Frances T. (DRUMMOND) FARISS. Her father was born in Cumberland
County, Virginia, and died in 1859, and her mother was born in Nelson County,
Virginia, and died in January, 1852. She had two brothers in the army: James J.,
member of the "Hickory Rifles," 154th Tennessee, died at Macon, Mississippi,
May 14, 1862, from exposure; Edwin, who was killed at Atlanta, Georgia.
John R. WILLS' port office address is Salem, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
A. J. WILSON - is a Virginian, born in Botetourt County, March 16, 1842.
son of Zedekiah and Eliza Jane (VINYARD) WILSON. His mother was born in
Roanoke County, Virginia in 1791, and died of small pox in Montgomery County,
February 2. 1863, while he in the army. His father was born in Botetourt County,
Virginia, January 26, 1803, and died in Montgomery County, Virginia, July 1, 1883.
Two miles west of Lewisburg, October 30, 1878. A. J. WILSON married S. B. TUCKWILLER,
who was born at the place of her marriage, the date of her birth April 20, 1860. Their
children are two sons: Samuel White, born June 12. 1881, and Elkanah Edward,
born August 23, 1883. Samuel and Elizabeth J. (SLATER) TUCKWILLER, were
the parents of Mrs. WILSON, both born in Greenbrier County, and her father still
a resident here. He was born near Lewisburg, June 12, 1820, and her mother was
born in Lewisburg, where she died May 7, 1876, at the age of fifty-two years.
Mr. WILSON's father was of Scotch-Irish descent, his mother was German-English.
He has one brother and three sisters living in Virginia, all married, and has
two nieces and five nephews. A. J. WILSON volunteered in the Confederate service
as a member of Company L, 4th Virginia Infantry, under Colonel James PRESTON,
Captain R. G. NEWLEE, all from Montgomery County, Virginia. In the earthworks
at Chancellorsville, Virginia, May 2, 1863, he was struck in the right elbow by
a minie-ball, and amputation became necessary. The operation was performed by
that excellent surgeon, Dr. H. BLACK, and in fifteen days Mr. WILSON made his
way home, nor has he ever had any serious trouble from the wound since then.
His younger brother served the last seventeen months of the war, in the
"guerrilla service," and A. J. WILSON was present at the disbanding of the
company his brother served in, which took place on the brow of the hill
overlooking their own dear home. The men broke their weapons and wept like
children over the "Lost Cause," in the moment of their parting. Since the war
A. J. WILSON has traveled over ten States, but he likes the Shenandoah valley
and its people best of all. On New Years Day, 1882, he settled down in Lewisburg
district, Greenbrier County, and he is farming and raising stock, with postoffice
address at Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.
Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, email@example.com, Darla Ruebush, firstname.lastname@example.org
and Ed Johnson, EDEAJ@aol.com
Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.
Index of Biographies