Chapter XXXV - Lands and Landowners

History of Hampshire County West Virginia From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present
By Hu Maxwell and H. L. Swisher
Morgantown, West Virginia; A. Brown Boughner Printer; 1897

PART 2 County History
CHAPTER XXXV - LANDS AND LANDOWNERS
BY HU MAXWELL
Pages 392-408

There was a time when every acre of land in what is now Hampshire county belonged to one man, Lord Fairfax. The purpose of this chapter is to give a brief account of his lands and the manner by which they passed into the possession of others, together with the names of some of the early land-owners, and where their possessions were situated. Before proceeding to do this, it is proper to state, once more, that Hampshire county was once larger than at present, and that lands, now beyond the county borders, were once within the county, and in this chapter will be so considered. Lord Fairfax's estate consisted of the territory now contained in the following counties of Virginia and West Virginia: Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland, Stafford, King George, Prince William, Fairfax, Loudoun, Fauquier, Culpeper, Clarke, Madison, Page, Shenandoah, Frederick, Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan, Mineral, Hampshire, Hardy and Grant, twenty-three in all. The total number of acres was little short of six millions. This estate was not granted to Lord Fairfax in person, but to Lord Hopton, Lord Germyn, Lord Culpeper, Lord Berkeley, Sir William Morton, Sir Dudley Wyatt and Thomas Culpeper. This grant was made by Charles II. The lands were bounded by the Rappahannock on one side, by the Potomac on the other, and by a line drawn from the head of the Rappahannock to the head of the Potomac, then called the Quiriough. This name was given to the Potomac below its confluence with the Shenandoah; above the mouth of the Shenandoah it was called Cohongoroota; and the South branch was called Wappacomo. In granting this large body of land, King Charles expressed the hope that it would be speedily settled by Christian people. The king reserved one-fifth of all the gold and one-tenth of all the silver which might be discovered on the grant. The proprietors were required to pay a yearly rental equivalent to. thirty-three dollars. This was to be paid at Jamestown "on the day of the feast of St. John the Baptist." Lord Hopton sold his interest to John Frethewey. There was some misunderstanding concerning the grant, and the king expressed his willingness to give a new charter, if the old one were surrendered. A new one was accordingly granted, authorizing the proprietors to found schools, colleges and courts. There was one condition, however, which was not satisfactory. The king stipulated that the patent should cease on any part of the land "not possessed and occupied" within twenty-one years. This condition was subsequently modified. The proprietors were strictly forbidden to meddle with military affairs. Virginia had full power to levy taxes upon the land, and it was subject to the laws of that state the same as any other lands. Receiving a good, offer for their holdings the other proprietors sold all of them to Lord Culpeper, son of Lord John Culpeper. Thus the entire estate came into the possession of one man, and from him descended by inheritance to Lord Thomas Fairfax. The title to the land was questioned, and adventurers took possession of large tracts. Law suits resulted, some of which were in the courts fifty years, long after the parties to the original suits were dead. Some of these suitors had the title to their lands confirmed by the assembly, but the transaction appears to have been in the nature of a compromise to which both parties consented, for it was ordered that such persons might hold their lands, but must pay the yearly rent to Lord Fairfax, the same as those who had purchased their lands of him.

Lord Fairfax never married. He was a scholar and man of letters, tall, dark of complexion, usually greedy for money, but at times giving" away farms to those of his tenants or servants who pleased him. He made a trip from England to America to see the land which had fallen to him by inheritance. He was so well pleased with it that he decided to make his home in Virginia and enjoy his vast estate. Pie arranged his business in England, and about 1747 came to Virginia. He lived awhile at Belvoir. He was a middle-aged man, about fifty-seven years old at that time. Lawrence Washington, a brother of General Washington, had married a near relative of Lord Fairfax and this brought the Fairfaxes and the Washingtons into close friendship, and to this friendship great events in history may be traced. George Washington at that time, 1748, was sixteen years of age, educated only in the rudiments of reading, writing, arithmetic and surveying. Lord Fairfax had such confidence in him that he employed him to survey the vast estate. Washington's salary for this work ranged from seventeen to twenty-two dollars a day. In addition to this, both he and his brother Lawrence obtained valuable tracts of land within the former limits of Hampshire county on the most favorable terms. In this work Washington laid the foundation of his fortune; built up a robust and powerful constitution, and gained that acquaintance with the wilderness west of the Blue Ridge which caused him some years later to be sent with important dispatches to the French forts above Pittsburg. This led to his military career, and all its grand achievements followed. Washington, the youthful surveyor, climbed the mountains and crossed the valleys of Hampshire, mapping the estate and setting landmarks, and the accuracy of his work has been a marvel to surveyors ever since. Speaking of his occupation at that time, and comparing it with the great congress in Europe, in session at the time Washington was in the woods of Hampshire, George Bancroft, the venerable historian, speaks thus:

"At the very time of the congress of Aix-la-Chapelle, the woods of Virginia sheltered the youthful Washington, the son of a widow. Born by the side of the Potomac, beneath the roof of a Westmoreland farm, almost from infancy his lot had been the lot of an orphan. No academy had welcomed him to its shades; no college crowned him with its honors; to read, to write, to cipher — these had been his degrees of knowledge. And now, at sixteen years of age, inquest of an honest maintenance, encountering intolerable toil; cheered onward by being able to write to a school-boy friend: 'Dear Richard, a doubloon is my constant gain every day, and sometimes six pistoles,' himself his own cook, 'having no spit but a forked stick, no plate but a large chip;' roaming over spurs of the Alleghanies, alive to nature, and sometimes spending the best of the day in admiring the trees and the richness of the land; among skinclad savages, with their scalps and their rattles, or uncouth emigrants 'that would never speak English;' rarely sleeping in a bed; holding a bearskin a splendid couch; glad of a resting for the night upon a little hay, straw, or fodder, and often camping in the forests, where the place nearest the fire was a happy luxury — this stripling surveyor in the woods, with no companions but his unlettered associates, and no implements of science but his compass and chain, contrasted strangely with the imperial magnificence of the congress of Aix-la-Chapelle. And yet God had selected, not Kaunitz nor Newcastle, not a monarch of the house of Hapsburg, nor of Hanover, but the Virginia stripling, to give an impulse to human affairs, and, as far as an event can depend upon an individual, had placed the rights and the destinies of countless millions in the keeping of the widow's son."

Fairfax had the best lands of his large estate laid out in manors. Two of these were in Hampshire county, prior to the formation of Hardy and Mineral; but now there is little of the manor land in Hampshire. The Wappacomo manor, containing fifty-five thousand acres, lay along the South branch, mostly in the present county of Hardy. The Patterson creek manor, of nine thousand acres, was in what is now Mineral county. George Washington, after he was president of the United States, owned land in Hampshire. These manors were subsequently bought by John Marshall, chief justice of the United States, Raleigh Colston, and General Henry Lee.

Lord Fairfax had an eye to money-making, and resolved to realize as much as possible from his property. It is not necessary in this place to enter fully into his plan of deriving revenue from his possession. Suffice it to say that his desire was to provide a perpetual income. It amounted to the same thing as renting his land forever at a fixed yearly rental. He required a small sum, usually two and one half cents an acre, or even less, to be paid down. He called this "composition money." He required a sum of about an equal amount to be paid every year "on the feast day of Saint Michael the Archangel." He did not always charge the same sum yearly per acre. He was greedy and overbearing, and if a person settled and improved his lands* without title, and afterwards applied for title, he took advantage of it, and charged them more, thinking they would pay it sooner than give up their improvements. Had he succeeded in disposing of all his lands on his regular terms, his perpetual income would have been about one hundred and fifty thousand dollars yearly. This would have enabled him and his heirs to live in royal style. But it was to be otherwise, as will be shown in this chapter.

Lord Fairfax took up his residence at Greenway court, in the present county of Clarke, about twelve miles from Winchester. He had a large manor laid off there, and planned a number of buildings, only one of which he ever completed, and he never lived in it, but made it the residence of his steward. Fairfax lived in a small cabin near by, fared like the country people around him, and appeared satisfied. He had about one hundred and fifty slaves who lived in log houses scattered about the woods. As early as 1747 he began to sell his real estate. Land within Hampshire county was sold in 1749, and perhaps earlier, but that is the earliest record found here. This county was not organized till 1755, and the first instrument admitted to record in Hampshire county was at a term of court held June 11, 1755. On December 13, 1757 the first deed signed by Fairfax was recorded. It had been executed in 1749, but for eight years had remained unrecorded. It was made to John Cunningham, and in its preamble these words occur: "The Right Honorable Thomas Lord Fairfax, Baron of Cameron, in that part of Great Britain called Scotland, Proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia, in the nineteenth day of August in the twenty-third year of the reign of our sovereign George the Second, of Great Britain, France and Ireland, by the Grace of God defender of the faith, etc." The land conveyed was "on the Wappacomo or great South branch of Potowmack." In making these early deeds it was stipulated that the person who bought should "never kill elk, deer, buffalo, beaver or other game," without the consent of Fairfax or his heirs.

Land along the South branch in those days was not so valuable as at present; yet it found ready sale. Four hundred acres, near Moorefield, sold for one hundred and twenty-five dollars in 1758. Prior to the Revolutionary war a method of conveying land was in vogue, both in this county and in England, which is not now often met with in this state. It was resorted to as a means of deeding land, because, under the old English laws, an, ordinary deed was usually defective because few people absolutely owned their land, which was also the property of heirs yet to follow. By the system of a lease, and a release immediately following a valid deed could be made. In the oldest book of records in Hampshire county, there are ten leases and releases to one deed in fee simple. This book contains all deeds, mortgages, bonds, powers of attorney, bills of sale, leases and releases recorded in this county from June 11, 1755 to November 12, 1766. During this interval there were placed , on record fifteen deeds, two bonds, two powers of attorney, three mortgages, two bills of sale, one hundred and fifty leases and an equal number of releases. Thus, there were one hundred and seventy deeds recorded in the first twelve y ears of the county's history. A list of the first fifteen deeds in fee simple recorded in Hampshire county may be of interest, with date of record: Lord Fairfax to John Cunningham, Lot thirty-eight, South branch, 1757. James Simpson to Thomas Waggoner, one hundred acres on South fork of South branch, 1757. John Elswick to Rachel Elswick, two hundred acres near Hanging Rocks, 1759. William Bowell to Joseph Craycroft, ninety-two acres, on Capon, 1760. William Bowell to William Craycroft, ninety-five acres, on Capon, 1760. Stephen Ruddell to Daniel Wood, three hundred acres, on Lost river, 1761. Stephen Ruddell to Robert Denton, two hundred and sixteen acres on Great Capon, 1761. Rachel Elswick to John Keplinger, two hundred acres, on Lost river, 1761. George Horner to John Owens, fifty acres, on North river, 1761. Francis McBride to Robert Denton, two hundred and twenty-two acres, on Lost river, 1761. Hugh Murphew to Thomas Cresap, land in "French's Neck," 1762. John Johnson to Daniel McGlolin, one hundred and thirty-two acres, on Great Capon, 1765. Thomas McGuire to Robert Parker, one hundred and thirteen acres, on New creek, 1765. Job Pearfall to Luke Collins, three hundred and twenty-three acres, on the South branch, 1766.

The history of the Revolutionary war is given elsewhere in this book. No county felt immediately the change from a monarchal government to a republic any more forceably than Hampshire. Under British rule the land all belonged to Fairfax, and all who occupied it must pay him perpetual rent; and had the British arms been successful in that war, most probably the lands would still be paying rent to the heirs of Fairfax. No man could have felt that he absolutely owned his land. But the British armies were defeated and Fairfax lost his grip on his possessions. As this is an important matter in the history of Hampshire it is proper to consider it more fully.

Lord Fairfax always considered himself a British subject, although he remained quietly on his estate near Winchester during the revolution. His sympathies with the royal cause were well known; and had he been an ordinary person he would have been roughly treated by the patriots in the valley of Virginia. But the great friendship that existed between him and General Washington saved him. Out of respect for Washington, Fairfax was spared. When the great general was in that part of the state he always visited Fairfax, for whom he had much respect. The old Englishman earnestly hoped that England might retain its hold on the colonies. But when Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown, October 19, 1781, Fairfax saw that all was over. It may be said that it was his death blow. He took to his bed and never again left it, dying soon after in his ninety-second year.

Prior to this the Virginia legislature had been passing laws to break up such estates as that of Fairfax, for the good of the people. Thomas Jefferson was the leader in this movement. As early as October 17, 1776, he introduced a bill in the Virginia legislature to abolish estates in tail; that is, he wanted a law that would prevent a man from selling land and still keeping it, and prevent him from collecting rent forever. Estates should be held in fee simple. This was a blow at the Virginia aristocracy. That class of people were obnoxious to the ideas of liberty and equality for which the Americans were then fighting. It was not thought best for large estates to remain in one family forever. The result was, the law against estates in tail was passed. This in itself did not at once break up the Fairfax estate, but it stopped the rent on land already sold. However, the final blow fell at last, and the Fairfax estate was confiscated, because it belonged to a tory during the revolution. The land became the property of Virginia, except such tracts as had been already sold, and the purchasers of these received clear titles.

This was a great event for the people of Hampshire as well as of the other counties formerly owned by Fairfax. The land was thrown open to the public, and the best parts of it were soon taken. That which was more remote regained state land longer, but the last acre of it was finally bought, and within a reasonable time thereafter fully two hundred thousand people possessed homes in a country in which one man formerly controlled everything. It is said that not one acre remained in the possession of any member of the Fairfax family. This chapter will be closed with a list of about two hundred persons who early availed themselves of the opportunity to possess Fairfax lands which had been confiscated by the state. The first entry on the commonwealth land, of which there is any record in Romney, was in 1788. There may have been older records, but they cannot be found. From January 14, 1788, to August 21, 1810, there were 1,986 land entries made in this county. The records are missing from February 4, 1804, to January 29, 1808, and it is unknown how many entries were made during that interval. The 1986 entries were probably made by not more than three hundred persons. As many as fifty entries were made by one person, probably for speculation. Half dozen entries, by one person was not unusual. In the list which follows will be found names of persons whose descendants now constitute many of the most prominent families of the county. The date when they took up their land, the number of acres, and the location are given:

1788. James Machan, 400 acres, "adjoining Lawrence Washington's land on Knobly."

1788. John Dawson, 80 acres, on North branch.

1788. Andrew Cooper, 100 acres, on Painter's run.

1788. David Hunter, 79 acres, on North branch.

1788. William Bell, 120 acres, on Patterson creek.

1788. Thomas Collins, 800 acres, on North branch.

1788. Hugh Malone, 300 acres, on the waters of Mill creek.

1788. Thomas Bryan Martin, 400 acres, on the waters of South branch.

1788. Thomas Whittecher, 150 acres, on Knobby.

1788. Marion McGraw, 300 acres on Capon.

1788. Rees Pritchard, 400 acres, on North run.

1788. Isaac Means, 400 acres, in Mill creek gap.

1788. William Adams, 400 acres, on the waters of Patterson creek.

1783. Samuel Boyd, 20 acres, on the North branch, and 800 acres on Capon.

1788. Nathaniel Parker, 300 acres, on Patterson creek.

1788. Henry Hawk, 400 acres, on the waters of Mill creek.

1788. William Armstrong, 400 acres, on the North branch, adjoining Michael Cresap's land.

1788. Andrew Wodrow, 100 acres, on Capon.

1788. William Keeder, 100 acres, on Capon.

1788. John Jones, 50 acres, on Patterson's creek.

1788. Eben Williams, 300 acres, on Patterson creek.

1788. Ezekiel Whitman, 150 acres, on Cat Tail run, and 180 acres at the head of Green Spring valley.

1788. Andrew Cooper, numerous tracts in all parts of the county. He was, apparently, the largest land holder at that time in Hampshire.

1788. Richard Stafford, 400 acres, near Ciloss reads on the waters of South branch.

1788. Frederick Metheny, 100 acres, on Limestone run, "including the sugar camp."

1788. Adam Hall, 150 acres, on South branch, "at Hall's mill."

1788. Elisha Collins, 309 acres, on Clay Lick run.

1788. Joseph Bute, 100 acres, on Buck Island run,

1788, William Young, 50 acres, on South branch.

1788. Peter Walker, 100 acres, in Green Spring valley.

1788. David Holmes, 2,400 acres, on the waters of Capon, and 900 on the waters of Lost river.

1788. David Williams, 100 acres, on Patterson creek.

1788. Henry Kuykendall, 91 acres, on Buffalo run.

1788. John Peyton, 115 acres, on Captain John's run; also 319 acres near the foot of Sidelong hill; also 800 acres on Watt run; also 400 acres on Capon.

1788. John Wolleston, 100 acres, on Buck Island run.

1788. Abraham Johnson, 100 acres, on Patterson creek; also, 200 acres on Cabin run.

1788. Joseph Mitchell, 405 acres, on the waters of Patterson creek.

1788. James Fleming, 150 acres, on the waters of Mill creek; also 500 acres on Lick run.

1788. Joshua Calvin, 400 acres, on the waters of Little Capon.

1788. John J. Jacob, 212 acres, on South branch mountain.

1788. Joseph Steers, 50 acres, on Bloomery run.

1788. Moses Star, 300 acres, on Middle ridge.

1788. Peter McDonald, 100 acres, on Middle ridge.

1789. Ebenezer McKinley, 150 acres, on Mill creek.

1789. John Hugh, 200 acres, on Thompson run.

1789. Archibald Magill, 500 acres, on Mill creek.

1789. john Keller, 400 acres, on Patterson creek ridge.

1789. John Wilkins, 92 acres on Saw Mill run.

1789. Benjamin Stone, 50 acres, on Maple run.

1789. Richard Huff, 130 acres, or North river.

1789. John Bishop 400 acres, on Mill creek.

1789. Jesse Pugh, 4 acres, on South branch.

1789. James Keys, SO acres, at the foot of Dillon's mountain.

1790. George Wolf, 350 acres, on Lick run.

1790. Robert Ross, 400 acres, on "Morgan's run.

1790. Daniel Slain, 170 acres on Sandy ridge.

1790. James Hiott, 200 acres, on Sandy ridge.

1790. James Forman, 780 acres, on Sugar run.

1790. Lewis Stallman, 250 acres on Stagg run.

1790. John Chenowith, 50 acres, on North river.

1790. Thomas Williamson, 400 acres, on the headwaters of Little Capon.

1790. Jacob Miller, 150 acres, on Hazel run.

1790. William Fox, 300 acres, on Middle ridge.

1790. Jacob Short, 100 acres, on Spring run.

1790. William Russell, 50 acres, on Capon.

1790. William Smith, 200 acres, on South branch.

1790. Valentine Swisher, 222 acres, on Capon.

1790. Alexander King, 800 acres, on North branch.

1791. Frederick High, 610 acres, on Mill creek.

1791. Thomas Morgan, 50 acres, on White Oak bottom.

1791. Ephriam Johnson, 150 acres, on Sugar Tree bottom.

1791. William Jeney, 500 acres, on Deep run.

1791. Robert McFarland, 100 acres, on Town hill.

1791. John Hough, 100 acres, on Pargatt's run.

1791. Richard Neilson, 234 acres, on Tearcoat.

1791. Peter Kizer, 100 acres, on Town hill.

1791. William Chapman, 25 acres, on Clay Lick ridge.

1791. Daniel Pugh, 9,600 acres, on both sides of Patterson creek, including the greater part of the Philip Martin manor.

1791. Isaac Means, 50 acres, on Mill creek.

1791. Moses Thomas, 100 acres, on Craig's run.

1792. John Goff, 25 acres, on Kuykendall's sawmill run.

1792. Hugh Murphy, 50 acres, on Little Capon.

1792. John Blue, 300 acres, on South branch below Hanging Rocks.

1792. Robert French, 260 acres, on Little Capon.

1792. Benjamin Ayers, 200 acres, on Patterson creek.

1792. Peter Larew, 100 acres, on Capon.

1792. Daniel Newcomb, 160 acres, on Sidelong hill.

1792. Isaac Daton, 300 acres, incuding Two islands in the South branch.

1792. Nicholas Boyce, 400 acres, on Mill creek.

1792. George Bowman, 100 acres, on George's run.

1792. John High, 137 acres, on Mill creek.

1792. Thomas Hailey, 50 acres, on Spring Gap mountain.

1792. William Jackson, 200 acres, on Capon.

1792. William Carlyle, 15 acres, on High Top mountain.

1792. Jonathan Pursell, 100 acres, on South branch.

1792. Jacob Doll, 50 acres, on Knobly.

1793. Newman Beckwith, 300 acres, near Davis' mill.

1793. John Butcher, 50 acres on Capon mountain.

1793. Jesse Barnett, 100 acres, on New creek.

1793. John Seaburn, 30 acres, on Little Capon.

1793. Abram Rinehart, 200 acres, on Edward's run.

1793. Peter Putman, 25 acres, on Knobly.

1793. James Jamison, 100 acres, on Little mountain.

1793. Thomas Fry, 100 acres, on Capon.

1793. Virgil Graybill, 100 acres, "adjoining the land of President Washington on the waters of the Potomac."

1793. William Scott, 50 acres, on Sidelong hill.

1793. Jacob Jerkins, 25 acres, "near and including the meeting house."

1793. Joseph Lang, 100 acres, on Widow Gilmer's run, near Big Mud lick.

1793. Jacob Purgatt, 50 acres, at the foot of Knobry.

1793. Francis and William Deakins, 12,000 acres, between Patterson creek and New creek, next to the North branch.

1793. Virgil McCrackin, 100 acres, adjoining Washington's survey.

1793. Moses Ash brook, 300 acres, on Maple run.

1794. James Caruthers, 4 acres, on Capon.

1794. James Largent, 100 acres in the Chimney tract.

1794. Isaac Lupton, 28 acres, on Sandy ridge.

1794. Jacob Baker, 175 acres, on North river.

1794. Perez Drew, 83 acres, on Little Capon.

1794. John Wallis, 100 acres, on Little Capon.

1794. Job Shepherd, 65 acres, on Wiggins' run.

1794. Abram Neff. 100 acres, on Wild Meadow run.

1794. Jacob Umstott, 50 acres, on Mill creek.

1794. Jacob Hoover, 100 acres, on North mountain.

1794. John Stoker, 100 acres, on Spring Gap mountain.

1794. George Phebus, 100 acres, near Rhobey's gap.

1794. David Stephens, 100 acres, on Capon.

1794. George Chambers, 64,544 acres, located in various parts of the county, but chiefly near the Hardy county line, on Patterson creek mountain and on the North branch.

1794. George Gilpin, 14,000 acres, on Knobly, and along the Hardy county line, and other large tracts elsewhere in the county.

1795. Jacob Kisner, 80 acres on North river.

1795. John Plumb, 100 acres, on Mill creek.

1795. Simon Taylor, 200 acres, on South branch.

1795. Isaac Parsons, 100 acres, on South branch.

1795. Philip Pendleton, 1,000 acres on great Capon mountain.

1795. John Jack, 100 acres, on the road leading from Romney to Winchester.

1795. Samuel Chesshire, 69 acres, on Tear Coat.

1795. Elisha C. Dirk, 40,000 acres, partly along the Alleghaney mountain and New creek, and partly between North river and South branch; also 2,400 acres in other parts of the county.

1795. John and Joseph Swan, 10,000 acres, between Spring Gap mountain and Little Capon.

1795. Aaron Steed, 100 acres, on Hopkin's run.

1795. Joseph B. Billings, 727 acres, on the North branch; also other tracts in different parts of the county.

1795. John Randolph, 300 acres, on Abram's creek.

1796. Peter Good, 50 acres, on Dry run.

1796. John Pancake, 50 acres, on South branch.

1796. William Winterton, 50 acres, on Capon.

1797. Joseph Baker, 10G acres, on Capon.

1797. Frederick Gulick, 50 acres, on Little Capon.

1797. Frederick Haus, 64 acres, on South branch.

1797. Gabriel Throckmorton, 600 acres, on Capon.

1797. Robert Gustin, 100 acres, on Capon.

1797. Samuel Dobbin, 100 acres, on Cabin run.

1797. David Parsons, 300 acres, on South branch.

1798. Samuel Howard, 50 acres, on Capon.

179S; Charles Dowles, 1,500 acres, on the road from Romney to Winchester.

1798. John Pearsall, 100 acres, on Patterson creek.

1798. John Wolfe, 40 acres, on Capon.

1798. Jacob Bowers, 50 acres, on Dilling's mountain.

1798. John Lay, 20 acres, on Knob ridge.

1798. Daniel Duggan, 50 acres, on North River mountain.

1798. John Switzer, 190 acres, on Dillinger's run.

1798. Luther and Samuel Calvin, 100 acres, on the waters of South branch.

1798. William Reeder, 40 acres, on Crooked run.

1799. John Templeton, 300 acres, on North branch.

1799. Adam Hider, 4 acres, on Shrub mountain.

1799. John Foley, 300 acres, on Long ridge.

1799. Thomas Parker, 50 acres, on Green Spring run.

1799. John Abernathy, 5 acres, on Pine Swamp run.

1799. Norman Bruce, 100 acres, on the Potomac.

1799. Natley Robey, 100 acres, on Mill creek.

1799. John Jones, 115 acres, on North river.

1799. Philip Pendleton, 9,500 acres, on Branch mountain and elsewhere.

1799. Daniel Hopwood, 100 acres, on Knobly.

1799. William Gray 50 acres, on the Potomac.

1800. William Buffington, 100 acres, on South branch.

1800. Francis White, 20 acres, on North river.

1800. George Harris, 50 acres, on Mill creek.

1800. James Laramore, 225 acres, on South branch.

1800. Henry Hartman, 139 acres, on Mill creek.

1800. Jacob Millslagel, 150 acres, on Timber ridge.

1800. Alexander Monroe, 300 acres, on North river, and 1,700 acres on Patterson creek.

1800. Jeremiah Ashby, 300 acres, on North branch.

1801. James Slack, 16 acres, on South branch.

1801. John Casper, 50 acres, on North river.

1801. David Bookless, 80 acres, on Cattleman's run.

1801. John Moore, 50 acres, on Myke's run.

1801. Schantzenbach Kisler, 100 acres, on Sidelong hill.

1801. Andrew Bogle, 100 acres, on New creek.

1801. Robert Rogers, 100 acres, on the Potomac.

1801. William Naylor, 50 acres, on Town run.

1801. Thomas Carscaddon, 250 acres, on Stagg run.

1801. Richard Holliday, 5 acres, on Spring run.

1801. John Griffin, 83 acres, on Horse Camp run.

1801. William Stennett, 500 acres, on Spring Gap mountain.

1801. John Poland, 41 acres, on Kuykendall's run.

1802. Andrew Walker, 100 acres, on Green Spring run.

1802. Solomon Hoge, 25 acres, on South branch mountain.

1802. George Beatty, 139 acres, on Mill creek knob.

1802. Daniel Lantz, 50 acres, in Green Spring valley.

1802. Robert Gustin, 73 acres, on Rock Gap run.

1802. James Caudy, 50 acres, on Mill creek.

1803. John Selby, 50 acres, on North run mountain.

1803. Eli Ashbrook, 100 acres, on Tear Coat.

1803. John Wright, 60 acres, near Capon springs.

1803. Jacob Jenkins, 50 acres, near Bear garden.

1804. William Florence, 200 acres, on Cabin run.

1808. Lewis Vandever, 279 acres, on Patterson creek.

1808. William Armstrong, 100 acres, on Patterson

1808. Michael Widmire. 70 acres, on Capon.

1808. Henry Dangerfield, 20 acres, on Capon.

1809. Peter Bruner, 25 acres, on Capon.

1809. Jacob Stuckslagh, 6 acres, on the Potomac.

1809. Nathan Sutton, 148 acres, on High Gap mountain.

1809. Frederick Buzzard, 10 acres, on Mill's branch.

1809. John Swisher, 50 acres, on Hughes' run.

1810. Jacob Leopard, 300 acres, on North branch.

1810. Henry Huntsman, 600 acres, on South branch.

1810. John Wolford, 25 acres, on North river.

1810. James Glinn, 25 acres, on Bennett's run.

1810. Thomas Youngley, 84 acres, on North river mountain.

Return to the History of Hampshire County WV Index