Chapter LI - Enlisting Companies

History of Hampshire County West Virginia From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present
By Hu Maxwell and H. L. Swisher
Morgantown, West Virginia; A. Brown Boughner Printer; 1897

PART 2 County History
Pages 591-602

Below will be found a list of the officers and men in Company I, Eighteenth Virginia Cavalry, in the confederate service. Nearly all the men were from Hampshire county: D. E. Beall, captain; Patrick McCarty, first lieutenant; Jacob Worden, second lieutenant; John Penning ton, third lieutenant; John Horn, orderly sergeant; Joseph Godlove, second sergeant; Levy Crawford, third sergeant; William Wilson, fourth sergeant; Jonathan Tharp, corporal; John Sisler, second corporal; Benjamin Wilson, third corporal; Jacob Schafer, fourth corporal. Privates — David Godlove, Isaac Godlove, John A. Godlove, Abraham Ditawic, John Ditawic, Benjamin Ditawic, George Swisher, Benjamin Swisher, Simon Swisher, William Hishman, Philip Hishman, John Hishman, Nicholas Hishman, Noah Tunkhouser, James H. Tunkhouser, John Cline, Joseph Hetzel, John Wilson, Thomas B. Wilson, Tilberry Orndoff, John W. Orndoff, Jacob Harris, David Harris, John Harris, William B. Cleggett, James Cleggett, Benjamin Liggett, Baker Liggett, Adam Tharp, James Tharp, George Rhodeheffer, Isaac Shoemaker, Jacob Orndorff, Hezekiah Williams, John Williams, Perry Williams, Jacob Williams, John Williams, Albert Halterman, Ambrose Halterman, Jackson Halterman, Morgan Halterman, Joseph Siple, George Siple, Watson Stover, Sylvester Stover, William Armstrong, Gibson Armstrong, Edward Armstrong, Elias Cokenhour, Jacob Cokenhour, D. H. Knee, Cypress Tishwaters, Anthony Reid, Patrick McCormick, William Sisler, Charles M. Schnell, Jacob Rudolph, Charles Rosebrock, John Grady, Abraham Wilkins, James McMahon, John Lawrence, James Roach, Arthur Wells, Malachi Hussey, William Varner, John Rankins, Perry Farrow, James Michaels, Jacob Michaels, John Rynwood, Abraham Barry, John Jones, William Finley, John T. Harroll, Jacob Conrod, John Tyler, Benjamin McKeever, Sason Frye, William B. Eggleson, Jacob Ludwich, Joseph Snyder, George W. Stubblefield, Simeon Sandaker, Joseph Hammon.

Captain Mathew Ginevan's Company. — Company C, Eighteenth Virginia Cavalry, confederate, was organized by Captain Mathew Ginevan, and the majority of the men were from the Levels and Little Capon. The roll of the company, as complete as it can be made out at the present time, is as follows: Mathew Ginevan, captain; S. B. Patterson, first lieutenant; D. K. Higby, second lieutenant; Luther Ginevan, third lieutenant; William Delaplain, first sergeant; A. T. Pugh, second sergeant; Frank Pownall, third sergeant. Privates — Valentine Gillespie, George Bowman, James Flora, Thomas Youst, Peter Youst, Peter Barnes, S. F. Hardy, A. R. Eli, Ezra Eli, Silas Shanholtzer, Minor Shanholtzer, Martin Shanholtzer, Benjamin Shanholtzer, John Robinson, R. T. Robinson, R. J. Householder, J. T. Pownall, F. Odnalt, Joseph McAtee, Willey McKee, Lewis Emmett, Samuel McKee, Isaac Pepper, John Ruckman, B. J. Powell, Thomas Messick, James Cheshire, Frederick Manck, John O. Saville, George Saville, William Thompson, R. J. Thompson, S. E. Pugh, S. J. Pugh, J. J. Pugh, P. C. Haines, Samuel Baker. Captain Ginevan's company saw active service from the first. In the battle of Gettysburg he was severely wounded, and it is thought by some that he never fully recovered. He died at Piedmont. David Ginevan was the miller at Ginevan mill, on Little Capon, two miles from the mouth; and when the company was made up he was excused from service in the army, according to law, that he might remain and grind the people's grain. Lieutenant Luther Ginevan was a very strong man, active and courageous. Once, when his brother, Captain Ginevan, was surrounded by four yankees, who endeavored to take him prisoner, Luther ran in with his sword and compelled all four of them to beat a hasty retreat.

A Fighting Horse. — Luther Ginevan succeeded his brother as captain of the company. He had a remarkable horse, which he rode throughout the war. It soon learned to look upon a blue coat as an enemy, and it endeavored to do its share of fighting. This was particularly the case when, as happened on two or three occasions, the rider was dismounted and the federals tried to capture the horse. The animal bit, kicked and struck them and would not be taken, but fought its way back to the rebel lines and reached its owner. Captain Luther Ginevan brought the horse home with him at the close of the war, and it was looked upon as long as it lived as a war-scarred veteran. Luther Ginevan was killed twenty years after the close of the war by being thrown from a wagon.

Captain Lovet's Company. — This was Company E, Twenty-third Virginia Cavalry. It was organized in Hampshire county, and the following is the roll, so far as it can be made out from the memory of survivors: Captain, J. Mort Lovet; first lieutenant, Beverly Lockard; second lieutenant, Oscar Bywaters; third lieutenant, Walter Largent; first sergeant, Joseph Oliver, killed at Charlestown, 1863. Privates — Toney Hayden, killed at Darkville, 1864; John Staller, killed at Bunker Hill, 1864; James Brathwaight, wounded at Berry's ferry, 1863; Samuel Swartz, wounded in 1864; J. W. Short, wounded in 1863; Walter Nixon, John Nixon, Harrison Brill, Frederick Spaid, Asa McKeever, Dorsey Reed, George Pugh, Jonathan Pugh, George Elick, Hugh Pense, George Sheetz, Nicholas Goff, Berry Brine, William Newbanks, John Laire, David Laire, James Baker, Andre Baker, killed in 1864; John Baker, Tip Lockhard, Algerne Lockard, Daniel Miller.

Captain Lovet was badly wounded in 1862, and never recovered, although he lived a few years. In 1863 he was taken prisoner, and did not gain his freedom until the close of the war. Soon after returning home he died from the effect of his wound and from hard treatment while in prison.

Captain Sheetz's Company. — Following is the roll of Company F, Seventh Virginia Cavalry: Captains, George F. Sheetz, killed at Brickston station, May 23, 1862; Isaac Kuykendall, captured while on recruiting service in Hampshire county, February 19, 1864; first lieutenant, Angus W. McDonald, resigned; second lieutenant, George H. Baker; first sergeant, John C. Leps; second sergeant, J. H. Cunningham, captured at Moorefield, December 3, 1862; third sergeant, Anthony Cain; fourth sergeant, Charles W. Smoot; fifth sergeants, G. F. Cunningham, captured at Moorefield, December 3, 1862; George Mathias; second corporal, D. W. Dawson, captured at Culpeper court house, September 13, 1863; third corporals, James D. Pollack, W. W. Houseworth; third and fourth corporal, Hiram Allen; first and second sergeant, Johnson John. These all enlisted in 1861. The officers who enlisted in 1862 were: First and second lieutenant and fourth sergeant, James T. Parker, captured while on detached service, February 21, 1864; second lieutenant and second sergeant, C. H. Vandiver, taken prisoner, April 19, 1862, and wounded, June 27, 1864; first sergeant, A. C. Harness; first corporal, James A. Parrill.

The following privates enlisted in 1861: Elijah Allen, John S. Arnold, Eugene Alexander, Samuel Berry, James A. Bane, Levi M. Baker, James Bonney, M. B. Y. Bowers, J. S. P. Bowers, Jacob A. Baker, captured at Moorefield, December 3, 1862; Henry F. Baker, John W. Baker, Thomas Chaney, Jesse Cupp, captured at Culpeper court house, September 13, 1863; J. H. C. Cunningham, William H. Cahill, wounded, April 9, 1862, arm broken; Joseph A. Cahill, George F. Cunningham, B. F. Clark, Reuben S. Davis, D. W. Dawson, Robert Dousthill, C. B. Davis, Robert Edwards, William D. Ewing, George W. Everett, Samuel C. Engle, John B. Fay, James Gill, Thomas Goldborough, captured, December 25, 1863; Charles A. C. Gates, Jacob Gassman, William Grayson, C. H. Gates, A. C. Harness, Joseph Honmon, W. W. Houseworth, Samuel A. High, John F. High, W. B. Harrison, W. H. Harmon, taken prisoner; T. A. Hollenback, James Hiett, Malcolm G. Harmison, Thomas Harrison, Thomas M. Healey, Samuel I. Heltzel, wounded, July 3, 1863; Jacob B. Heironimus, Jonathan Harrison, Isaac E. Harrison, James S. Hutton, J. S. Harlan, James Inskeep, died, May 24, 1862; William V. Inskeep, wounded at Staunton, May 9, 1862; Elias L. Irving, John S. Inskeep, captured in Hampshire; Isaac H. Johnson, died, June 13, 1862; John Johnson, Robert Johnston, wounded at Charlestown, October 6, 1862; J. W. Kuykendall, captured, January 15, 1862; John T. Kelley, captured in Maryland, July 9, 1863; Patrick Kelley, wounded and captured, July 11, 1862; Joseph Kechley, captured at Culpeper court house, September 11, 1863; George A. Kechley, captured in Maryland, July 9, 1863; James F. Lease, John W. Lease, taken prisoner; George W. Lease, taken prisoner; William W. Leps, Isaac Liller, William L. Lamar, James C. Liggett, William Lyons, Joshua M. Lovett, Benjamin Milleson, Joseph L. Moore, Smith T. McKee, Harry C. Millen, George Mathias, B. F. McCauley, Michael I. Mortz, Samuel Myers, Thomas O'Neal, Jonathan Offutt, James O'Brien, Daniel Power, William H. Parrie, James A. Parrie, James H. Parrie, John T. Pearce, John C. Parran, Silas R. Pancake, John W. Pugh, James N. Pugh, R. C. Price, James H. Rines, wounded at Upperville, June 21, 1863; John D. Rines, John F. Stover, Washington M. Skeleton, Amos Shillingburg, James D. Short, Isaac Smit, Henry I. Shriver, captured, January 24, 1863; John H. Shriver, John Shaw, John M. Seymour, Frederick W. Sheetz, William Smith, C. H. Sisk, captured at Culpeper court house, September 13, 1863; Robert J. Tilden, arm broken in fight at Romney, September 25, 1861; James H. Taylor, wounded near Charlestown, October 6, 1862; Burbridge C. Trenum, William W. Throckmorton, captured in Maryland, July 9, 1863; James H. Vance, Charles W. Vanmeter, captured in Maryland, July 9, 1863; David P. Vanmeter, captured in Maryland, July 9, 1863, R. B. Vanmeter, Isaac Van meter, John W. Vanhorn, Charles F. Vest, captured in Hampshire county, February 21, 1864; J. W. Vawter, Martin F. Wright, Jacob Worden, Robert W. Welch, Lewis Welch, James Worden, captured, Nov 1, 1862; William Worden, Aaron Welton, Patrick Digman, taken prisoner, November 1, 1862, and again in Hardy county, February 21, 1864; Thomas I. McCord, taken prisoner in Pennsylvania, July 6, 1863; J. D. Pollock, W. L. Parsons, George W. Shoemaker, captured at Moorefield, December 3, 1862; John Uullum, taken prisoner in Pennsylvania, July 6, 1863; D. G. Vanmeter, wounded, July 3, 1863; Joseph V. Williams, James S. Welton, captured at Culpeper court house, September 13, 1863; Charles I. Bowers, William I. Coyner, captured at Moorefield, October 1, 1863; Maurice Healey, David Jones, captured at Culpeper court house, September 13, 1863; James M. Maslin, J. Wesley Pugh, Rufus Taylor, taken prisoner at Culpeper court house, September 13, 1863; Edwin P. Vanmeter, captured at Culpeper court house, September 13, 1863; James A. Zell, captured at the same time; Robert R. Zell, William H. Maslin, L. H. Davis, E. C. Rinehart, R. V. Sherrard, John Taylor, Hilton Vanmeter, James W. Wood.

Captain Kuykendall Captured. — While on picket duty near Charlestown, Jefferson county, the federals being in possession of Harper's Ferry, Captain Isaac Kuykendall was taken prisoner. A squad of a dozen or more confederate cavalry encountered a force too strong, and set out upon a retreat, closely pursued. At the top of a hill Captain Kuykendall saw that he would be overtaken, and ordered a charge, hoping thereby to cause the pursuers to halt and give him and his men a chance to get away. He wheeled his horse and started upon the charge, not observing until too late that his men were not following him. He went down the road alone, right toward the yankees, and would willingly have turned back if he could; but before he was able to check his horse, a bullet killed the animal, and he fell, throwing the rider and bruising his face on the macadamized road. He sprang to his feet, fired once with his pistol at the advancing federals, and then took to his heels up the road, while bullets from the yankee carbines made the dust fly about his feet. It grew too interesting for him in the highway, and he sprang over a fence and started for a clump of trees some distance away. One of his men, who had failed to follow him on the charge, had ridden back and called to him to jump on the horse behind the saddle and both could escape. Kuykendall ran to the fence to do so, but observing that the horse was too small to carry two, he said to the man, "Make your escape. I will do the best I can." The man galloped off.

Captain Kuykendall started again for the timber, but the chance of escape was past. The yankees called on him to surrender, and, seeing no other course open, he did so, and walked slowly back to the fence. Half a dozen of them reached for his watch, and, in spite of the pain of his bruised face and the unpleasant sensation of being a prisoner, he laughed at the silly looks which came over the faces of the yankees as they examined the watch which they had so unceremoneously taken from him. When he fell from the horse, the jar broke the works of his watch loose, they fell out and he left them in the road. The covetous yankees, therefore, found themselves in possession of an empty case.

His face was bleeding profusely, but it was not hurt as badly as appearances indicated. The bruises were not deep. "You'd better leave the rebels and join my company," were the first words addressed to him by the federal captain when he came up. "I would rather be left dead in the road than to do it," was Kuykendall's reply. He was taken to Harper's Ferry, where he was treated with the greatest kindness by the officers, one of whom shared his room with the prisoner. The brave fight he had made before surrendering had attracted the attention and won the favor of the officers. They supplied him with money with which to buy clothing, of which he was badly in need. He was sent to Fort McHenry, near Baltimore, and after a few days he was exchanged. In speaking of his captivity, he said: "I found that all the good men were not on our side. There were men among the yankees who were as whole-souled and brave as could be found anywhere."

Captain Kuykendall was taken prisoner a second time in 1864, and was exchanged only a few weeks before Lee's surrender. He was in Hampshire on furlough, with John Inskeep, and they were surrounded and captured while at Michael Blue's house, near Springfield.

Captain Sauls Wounded. — While the Hampshire troops were stationed at Blue's gap, in 1861, a body of United States cavalry occupied Springfield. Captain Sheetz, of Company F, ascertained that the federals were in motion toward North river mills, and made an attack on them. The yankees fell back toward Springfield and were pursued. Captain Sauls, in command of the Union cavalry, was shot through the thigh, fell from his horse and was taken prisoner. He asked if Isaac Kuykendall was among the confederate force, and being answered in the affirmative, asked to see him. When Captain Kuykendall came to him, Captain Sauls requested that a sled be obtained and he be taken to some house where he could be cared for till his men could send and get him. This request was granted, and the wounded captain was taken care of.

At that time Captain Kuykendall's father lived in Springfield, and being a well-known sympathizer with the south, he was subjected to no small annoyance from the union troops. When news reached Springfield that the union force had been attacked and the captain wounded and a prisoner, the federal troops in the town were furious, and declared they would burn Mr. Kuykendall's house in revenge; but before they carried their threat into execution they received word from their wounded captain, who mentioned the kindness shown him by Isaac Kuykendall. Because of this kindness on the part of the son, the father's property was saved; another proof that a kindly act seldom falls on barren soil.

A Dangerous Ambuscade. — Near Pargatsville in 1863, a fight occurred between parts of several companies of confederates on one side and the Ringgold cavalry on the other. The confederates were under the command of Captain Isaac Kuykendall of Company F. A portion of McNeill's company took part, and there were soldiers from other counties, Captain Ware from Virginia being among them. The confederates were in the vicinity of Moorefield when about thirty union cavalry appeared near Old Fields and halted when they saw the confederates. Colonel Harness ordered Captain Kuykendall to go in pursuit, and he at once did so with parts of several companies. McNeill joined in the pursuit after it had commenced. The federals began to move off when they saw the enemy approaching, and passed up the road toward Pargatsville. This road led to the head of Mill creek and down that stream to the lower country, and it was naturally supposed that the scouting party was shaping its course for Keyser or Cumberland.

Before the federals had been pursued far, Captain Kuykendall noticed something mysterious in their movements. They did not appear trying to get away, but kept just out of reach of their pursuers. When the confederates moved quickly, the federals increased their speed; when the former slackened, the latter did likewise. It was apparent that they were courting pursuit, and the captain suspected that their purpose was to lead him into an ambuscade. For this reason he advanced with great caution. At length some of the men grew impatient and clamored to be led to the charge. By this time McNeill had arrived and some of the men wanted him to lead. But Kuykendall remained in the front, and a general rush to overtake the yankees ensued. No order of march was observed. Up the road, pell mell, the confederates went, and the federals increased their speed. It was just as the cooler heads expected. In a short time the rebels were going back as fast as they had come. Turning a point of a hill, beneath an old field, a long line of blue burst in sight. It was an ambuscade. A strong force of federals poured a volley from the hill and threw the confederates into confusion. So great was the difference of numbers that Captain Kuykendall saw he had no show. The whole force saw the same, and they turned and fled. Fortunately for the confederates, the union fire went over their heads. The order of a few minutes before was reversed. The confederates, instead of being the pursuers, were the pursued. Several were killed, but the slaughter was not so great as might have been expected. Near the head of Mill creek a road led up the hill, and some of the men, by mistake, took that road. This mistake probably saved many of the confederates, for their pursuers were afraid to pass that road, believing that a trap had been set for them. Only a few passed; and two determined cavalrymen, with daring which became foolhardiness, pressed hard upon the rear of the retreating confederates after the main body of the union forces had stopped. As these two cavalrymen approached, Captain Kuykendall shot at one of them, who then stopped; but it could not be ascertained that he was struck. The other galloped on, and being mounted on a powerful horse, came up with Jesse Cupp, of Company F, and struck at him with his saber; but Cupp avoided the blow, and the soldier passed on. As he did so, Cupp struck him across the back with his saber and Captain Kuykendall shot at him with a revolver. The union soldier wheeled his horse, left the road and made his escape. Whether he was dangerously wounded could not be ascertained. Isaac T. Brady, of Romney, was wounded in that fight.

General Averell Baffled. — On February l, 1864, General Rosser, with a strong force, visited Patterson creek to buy cattle for the confederacy. He expected to meet with resistance, and therefore came prepared to fight. But he had not calculated on fighting Averell; and as the sequence showed, he had a narrow escape. Had Averell succeeded in meeting him, there would have been an encounter of more consequence than a skirmish. General Rosser passed down Patterson creek within eight miles of Keyser, where there was a union force, and advanced within six miles of Cumberland. He kept a wary eye on both of those points, but did not believe that a sufficient force could be sent from either of them to endanger his position. He left a force at Burlington to prevent the federals from crossing Knobly mountain from New creek, and sent another force of seventy men, under Captain Isaac Kuykendall, to Mill creek gap, three miles above Romney, to hold that pass against any force that might come from the south or east. Thus protected on both flanks, General Rosser proceeded to gather all the available stock on Patterson creek and Mill creek.

Shortly after the confederates took possession of the Mill creek gap, General Averell, with a strong force of cavalry, passed through Romney, having came from Winchester to cut Rosser off, and attempted to enter the gap. Confederate pickets had been stationed on the rocks overlooking the pass, and with longrange guns they fired at the front of the union column when it came in sight. The pass is narrow, and a small force, well posted, could hold it against a much stronger one. Averell did not know how strong the force was which opposed him, and he was exceedingly cautious how he advanced. No sooner would he attempt to go through the gap than he was fired upon, and he as often fell back. In the meantime, a federal force crossed Knobly mountain from New creek, and passing down by way of Burlington met the Confederate force posted there, and the fight began. Several times the federals advanced and as often they were driven back; but they gradually worked their way down, gaining more ground than they lost, and toward evening had pushed the confederates almost down to Moorefield junction, within four or five miles of Mill creek gap. Believing that he could not resist the federal advance from New creek much longer, the confederate officer at Moorefield junction sent word to Captain Kuykendall, at Mill creek gap, and told him to save himself if he could. Not doubting that he was about to be cut off, Captain Kuykendall retreated by an obscure road up Mill creek, leaving the gap open for Averell. The confederates at Moorefield junction made a final rally and drove the federals back in the direction of New creek, and removed danger of an attack from that quarter. Averell did not know that Mill creek gap had been abandoned, and he made no attempt to pass through that night. Rosser was thus given the opportunity to escape up Mill creek with his cattle, and he made his way with all speed back to Virginia.

Return to the History of Hampshire County WV Index