Chapter LIV - Enlisting Continues

History of Hampshire County West Virginia From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present
By Hu Maxwell and H. L. Swisher
Morgantown, West Virginia; A. Brown Boughner Printer; 1897

PART 2 County History
Pages 633-640

Below will be found a roll and brief history of Company A, Thirty Third Virginia infantry, which was composed of men chiefly from Springfield and vicinity: Captain, Philip L. Grace, promoted major September, 1862, resigned two months later and went home; first lieutenant, Simeon D. Long, left the command in 1861 and never returned; second lieutenant, Jacob N. Buzzard, died of pneumonia in 1862; third lieutenant, William Johnson, died in Charlottsville, 1862; first sergeant, James G. Parsons, promoted, to third lieutenant in April, 1862, and soon afterwards resigned; second sergeant, William Montgomery, wounded at Manassas, July 21, 1861, served two years in Eighteenth Virginia cavalry, came back to Company A in January, 1864, and was taken prisoner at Spottsylvania Court House in May, 1864, and remained a prisoner till the close of the war; third sergeant, James P. Bailey, wounded at Kernsville in March, 1862, was taken prisoner and died; first corporal, Monroe Blue, promoted to second lieutenant in the Eighteenth Virginia cavalry, taken prisoner in 1863, and escaped while being carried to Fort Delaware, by jumping from a moving train, made his way across the lines and was killed at the battle of New Hope in June, 1864; second corporal, A. A. Young, wounded July 21, 1861, at Bull Run, left the company and went home in September, 1862; third corporal, James Connelly, left the company in 1862 and went home.

Privates — Herman Allen, went home September, 1862; Edward Allen, wounded at Bull Run, taken prisoner March 23, 1862, at Kernstowns, was exchanged and west home; Jacob Adams, went home in September, 1862; James Adams, killed at Bull Rim, 1861; George Arnold, went home in November, 1863; Andrew Baker, died in the hospital in 1862; John Baker, went home November, 1862; William I. Blue, killed at the first battle of Bull Run; Michael Blue, hired a substitute in July, 1861; Joseph Berry, went home in September, 1862; Michael Bright, captured at Kernstown, exchanged, wounded at Antietam; Joseph Cadwallader, wounded at the first battle of Bull Run; John O. Casler, transferred to the Eleventh Virginia Cavalry January, 1865, captured in Hampshire county February 5, 1865, remained in prison until the close of the war; Elisha Carder, wounded at Fisher's Hill; Joseph Carder, in Lynchburg sick at the close of the war; William A. Dailey, joined rangers in 1863; Daniel Doran, discharged in 1862; Joseph Earsom, transferred from Second Virginia Regiment, elected second lieutenant in July, 1862, killed at the second battle of Bull Run August 30, 1862; Charles M. French, joined the rangers in 1862; Thomas Furlough, killed at the first battle of Bull Run; Thomas Gross, killed at Kernstown; John Grayson, went home in November, 1862; Robert Grace, wounded at Kernstown, was captured and died; James Gaither, killed at Spottsylvania Court House in 1864; George Gaither, died in the hospital in 1863; John Halderman, killed at the second battle of Bull Run; James Hass, died in the hospital at Lynchburg April, 1863; Edward Hartley, went home November, 1863; Elijah Hartley, killed at Kernstown; John Harris, went home September, 1862; Amos Hollenback, killed at the first battle of Bull Run; John Kelley, went home in November, 1862; Patrick Kenny, went home in the fall of 1862; James Linthicum, went home in 1861; John W. Long, went home in 1862; E manual Miller, went home in November, 1862; Martin Miller, wounded at Kernstown; Polk Marker, killed at Bull Run, Joseph McNemar, sick in the hospital at the close of the war; Edward Montgomery, joined the rangers in 1863; Thomas McGraw, died in prison at Camp Douglas, Illinois; George Offutt, killed at the second battle of Bull Run; William H. Powell, elected first lieutenant in April, 1862, seriously wounded at Gettysburg July 3, 1863; David Pownall, transferred to Eighteenth Virginia Cavalry November, 1862; Hugh Pence, transferred to Eighteenth Virginia Cavalry September, 1863; Samuel Pence, killed at the second battle of Bull Run; David Pence, in prison when the war closed and died before he reached home; Ralph Perrin, aged sixteen years at the time of his death, which occurred at the second battle of Bull Run; Charles Perrin, died in the Charlottesville hospital in 1862; William Pollard, wounded in the battle of Winchester September 19, 1864; Thomas Pownall, went home November, 1862; Joseph Parker, went home November, 1862; John Rhinehart, wounded at the battle of Bull Run, afterward joined the cavalry; John Rizer, sick and discharged; David Shelley, went korae in November, 1862; William Sivills, sick at the close of the war; George Short, went home in September, 1862; David Simmons, went home in January, 1863; Culver Stockslager, went home in November, 1862; Frank Swisher, went home sick in December, 1861.

The Potomac Guards, under command of Captain Grace, marched from Springfield to Blue's gap about the middle of June, 1861. They found the Hampshire Riflemen, under Captain George Sheetz, already there. About that time Colonel A. P. Cummins was sent from Harper's Ferry to Romney to collect the confederate companies in Hampshire and adjoining counties and form a regiment. On June 19 the Potomac Guards and Hampshire Riflemen marched from Blue's gap to Romney to be placed under orders of Colonel Cummins. The Riflemen were organized before the war and were well armed, but the Guards had only old muskets and flintlock rifles which had been sent from Harper's Ferry. Two small cannon were also sent from Harper's Ferry. The Guards had no cartridge boxes and they carried their ammunition in their pockets. In addition to the two companies above named, Colonel Cummins had under his command the Independent Greys, a Moorefield company. He was able to furnish uniforms for the men, but good guns were scarce. He was proceeding nicely in his work of getting" together a regiment, but before he had been in Romney a week, General Lew Wallace interfered with the confederate plans by sending a regiment of union troops from New Creek to capture the confederates in Romney. The plan would have probably succeeded had not the eagle eye of a citizen on Patterson's creek discovered the advance of the federals, and suspecting that they had designs against Romney, he hastened by short roads, and gave Colonel Cummins warning of his danger. The confederates were in no condition to fight such a force as was approaching, and they took the road for Winchester as fast as possible. The federals came in at one end of town as the confederates went out at the other. About a dozen shots were fired up and down the streets, but no one was hurt. The troops from New Creek soon returned to that place, and Romney was again quiet.

After Company A reached Winchester it received its. supplies from Springfield, where they had been bought by private subscription. These consisted of knapsacks, blankets, cartridge boxes, canteens and tents. This company was attached to the Stonewall brigade, and took part in some of the hardest fighting of the war, being in the first and second battles of Bull Run, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and many others.

After the battle of Bull Run there was a lull in military operations. A number of the members of Company A took advantage of the occasion to pay a visit to their homes in Hampshire. But they forgot to obtain permission from the officers. The result was that Lieutenant Buzzard was sent after them. He succeeded in persuading sixteen of the men to return to their company. They had not intended to desert, but simply thought to take advantage of the lull to go home. They were not severely punished. It was the policy of the federals not to molest confederates who came home to stay. Speaking of this, Mr. Casler in his book says: "The federals told the absentees if they would remain at home peaceably and not go to bushwhacking, they would not molest them; for they knew if arrested and sent to prison they would be exchanged and put in ranks again; but if they did not molest them the probabilities were that they would remain at home."

Monroe Blue's Raid into Hampshire. — In the winter of 1862 Lieutenant Monroe Blue, formerly of Company A, but at that time belonging to the Imboden cavalry, came on a scout into Hampshire county by way of Lost river. He had a small squad of soldiers, and was joined by Thomas McGraw, Lieutenant Blue, William A. Dailey and John O. Casler, making about fifteen in all, with Edward Montgomery as a guide. They cautiously made their way across the hills to the road between Springfield and the Baltimore and Ohio railroad. They waylaid and captured three men, four horses and two sacks of mail. The next day they attacked a wagon train on Patterson's creek and captured two men and twelve horses. The union troops from Springfield gave pursuit and overtook them while ascending the mountain east of the South branch, fired upon them and took McGraw prisoner. After a running fight of several miles the others made their escape, but William Dailey had an eye put out by a limb of a tree. They lost several of their horses.

Company A was disbanded in January, 1865. Many had been killed, others had joined the cavalry, some had gone home, and when the last list was made out there was only one man in the company, Elisha Carder, and he was not in service, having been wounded. The company was, therefore, easily disbanded. During the winter of 1865 two companies of cavalry, one from Hampshire and the other from Hardy, were camped on Lost river, and occasional raids were made into the South branch country and toward New creek. In one of these raids a drove of twenty-four cattle were taken from a government contractor named McFern, on Patterson's creek, and he was made a prisoner and relieved of a large amount of money. The party was pursued by a squad of union cavalry and taken prisoner.

Death of Monroe Blue. — The escape from prison and the subsequent death in battle of Lieutenant Monroe Blue have been already spoken of in the history of the company to which he belonged; but the subject demands a more extended notice, as he was one of the bravest soldiers Hampshire sent into the field. Lieutenant Blue was one of a party of confederate prisoners who were confined at Johnson's Island, in the state of New York. After being in prison ten months, the order came to remove them to Fort Delaware, a prison near Philadelphia. For a long time Lieutenant Blue had meditated escape, but the opportunity did not come while at Johnson's Island. When placed on the train for the trip to Fort Delaware he undertook to cut a hole through the bottom of the car. He had hacked the edge of his pocket knife and had converted it into a saw. He was making good progress toward cutting through when the guard discovered him, and his plan was frustrated. He then resorted to the more desperate expedient of knocking down the sentinel on the platform and jumping off. The bell rope was cut by some one at the same time, and the signal to stop the train could not be given. The leap from the cars somewhat injured his side and hip, falling as he did upon the rails of the double track at that point. But in the excitement of the moment, and in his eagerness to see his native hills, he forgot his injuries. He fortunately escaped being shot, although the sentinel on the next platform fired at him at close range. The yankee whom he had knocked down could not regain his feet in time to fire; and the train could not be stopped. He, therefore, made his escape for the present. This occurred at a point in Pennsylvania about seventy miles west of Harrisburg. After getting free from the train guard he still had dangers innumerable and hardships appalling ahead of him. The stoutest heart might have yielded to despair. He was in the enemy's country, and every man's hand was against him. He was without money. It was in the dead of winter. If he remained in the woods he was in danger of starving and freezing. If he ventured to houses for food he was liable to arrest. He set forward in a southerly direction, and traveled days and nights, by field, wood, road, path and wilderness. Four times in the four days hunger drove him to houses for food. He passed himself as a railroad hand and was kindly received. When he slept an hour or two occasionally from sheer exhaustion, he wrapped himself in his overcoat and lay upon the frozen ground. When he was obliged to pass a town he usually did so at night; but he walked through Bedford in the day time. In four days and nights he walked one hundred and fifty miles, and finally reached his home in Hampshire county. His relatives were taken by surprise. They had supposed him dead.

Detachments of federal troops at that time were overrunning Hampshire. Among them was Averell, with his cavalry, passing through on one of that general's accustomed dashing movements. Although Lieutenant Blue was weary and footsore, he did not hesitate to do all he could to retard the progress of the yankee general. He succeeded in blockading a point on Averell's line of march so securely that rocks had to be blasted before the union troops got through.. Lieutenant Blue soon joined his regiment, and on June 5, 1864, took part in the battle of New Hope, in Augusta county. At the commencement of the fight some of the dismounted officers of the brigade were ordered to take command of the dismounted men and deploy them as skirmishers, but they all seemed slow in obeying the command. Lieutenant Blue sprang from his horse and said he would lead the dismounted men. He thus entered the battle, but never returned. As he was leading his men he was shot through the neck and fell dead. On that day died as brave a soldier as ever gave up his life on the field of battle.

Captain Muse's Company. — Company F, Eighteenth Virginia cavalry, under Captain R. Bruce Muse, in the confederate service, was composed of men partly from Hampshire county and partly from Frederick county, Virginia. Captain Muse now lives at Mountain Home, near Heiskell postoffice, in Frederick county. No roll of his company is in existence, so far as known, but the captain prepared for this book, from memory, a list of the men from Hampshire who were in his company. The list is as follows: Tilbury M. Arnold, wounded; Lemuel Arnold, Harvey Arnold, died from wounds; Alfred Anderson, Daniel Anderson, slightly wounded; Westley Frank, Benton Frank, wounded, and now live in the west; David Griffin, Richard M. Johnson, wounded three times; William Scott Johnson, Eusabius Johnson, John Johnson, wounded; John Kelso, Elkanah Lafollett, Wood McKee, wounded; Daniel Miller, Thomas Miller, Seinon Marple, wounded twice; William Nixon, transferred to Captain Lovett's company; John Nixon, John Oats, Vincent S. Pugh, Francis M. Pugh, slightly wounded; George Pugh, Dorsey Reid, Martin Reid, died in the army, L. S. Spaid, Evan P. Ward, wounded, died at Lynchburg, Virginia. B. N. Lockart and J. O. By waters were sergeants in Captain Muse's company, but they were transferred to Captain Lovett's company and Lockart became first lieutenant and By waters second lieutenant.

Return to the History of Hampshire County WV Index