HANCOCK COUNTY


PROVIDED BY VISITOR'S @ THE HANCOCK COUNTY WEBSITE



Nessley Chapel Cemetery
Early Chester West Virginia Leaders Leaders


Doctor George E. Lewis
Born in 1873 in Ohio County and came to Chester in 1900 as the town's first doctor. Prior to this time, residents had to travel to New Manchester or to East Liverpool, Ohio for medical aid. At the time he arrived, Chester had a population of about 500 people. He served as the city health officer, and was one of the first stock holders and directors of the First National Bank.




James L. Mayhew
Born in 1862 on the old Mayhew farm in Pughtown. He left to become a painter in New Brighton, PA at the age of 20. While there, he served on the county commission and operated a hotel for awhile. James returned to Chester in 1915, and was elected Mayor in 1920. He operated a wallpaper and paint store in a building that would later become Chester Auto Parts. His paper hanger was Frank Snowden. James was also one of the organizers of the Citizens Party that was so popular in Chester for many years.



Finley Brothers Lumber Company
Owned and operated by the four Finley brothers, Joseph, Frank, Robert, and James along with Joseph McCoy, husband of their sister, Pearl Finley. Upon the death of Joseph McCoy, George Hasson of Virginia Avenue joined the firm. Joseph Finley served in the state legislature in 1909 and was one of the original incorporators of the First National Bank. J. P. Finley, son of Joseph, after graduating from the University of Pittsburgh, became the secretary-treasurer of the Newell Lumber Company, a branch of the Chester Company. Virginia and Robert, children of Robert Finley, were also active int he company for many years.



Samuel E. Marks

He was the original owner and occupant of the old stone house. He had the house built over a period of two years, finishing in 1835. He purchased 1,000 acres of ground at $1 per acre from heirs of George Washington. Mr. Marks brought his family and all their possessions from the Pittsburgh area down the river by flat boat. He became a very successful farmer. Lack of transportation was his only handicap, as there were no roads for him to reach the near by markets. He used flat boats for this purpose also. Samuel and Mary Marks had twelve children. Mr. Marks died in 1847 and his son Alfred took over the house. The children mostly moved into the Pennsylvania area where many of them became prominent in the field of education. One daughter, Alizan, married Hugh Newell, who became very prosperous and prominent in this area. He was the father of John Newell, local banker. Alfred Marks died in 1889, and in 1890 Jim McDonald bought the old stone house. It was later purchased by C. A. Smith in 1900.



WVGenWeb Project |USGenWeb Project | USGenWeb Project Archives | USGenWeb Census Project | WorldGenWeb
Copyright © by Janet Waite

© 1997-2011 Hancock County,WV Genweb Project. Content initiated in 1997 by Janet Waite and Dale Patterson 1997-2004; Julia Krutilla -2004-2011: Barbara Campbell June 2011.The Subject matter within these pages are not be used for financial gain. We respect free genealogy and hope that you do to. All contributions and donations will become apart of the Hancock County Genweb Project but remains the property of the submitter with full rights reserved for the origional submitter. The submitter has given permission for Hancock County, WV. Genweb Project to store the information permanently at this website for all researchers to access freely. The information submitted will not be removed without permission from the submitter.