district is covered with low hills, having gradual slopes and a fine blue
The first actual settlers in the
district were Clement, Jonathan and Levi Shinn,three
brothers, who came in 1775 and located on Booths creek, afterward removing
to where the village of Shinnston now stands, which was laid out and named
by them. Among the first cabins erected was that of Captain
John Thomas,on the farm now owned by
Samuel Kester, on Booths creek, in 1777. The
story of the terrible massacre of Capt. Thomas and his family, on the night
of March 5, 1781, by savages, is told in the preceding pages. Among other
early settlers were the following, who took part in the early history of
this section: Phillip Coon, Capt.
John Richardson, William Martin, Leonard Cutcher, John Swiger, John Owens,
John Righter (from Baltimore, in 1791) Enoch and Edward Cunningham (1790),
Richard Moore, Nathan Ogden, William Nuzum and William Gifford.
Limestone is found in veins from five
to seven feet thick, and a five-foot vein of fine iron ore underlies the
whole district. An excellent quality of coal is found in veins, seven,
eleven, and thirteen feet thick, and there is no gravel beds in the district.
Valuable white sand exists in some parts, and a fine quality of potters
clay supplies the Shinnston Pottery with a material for manufacture.
A branch of Booths creek
heads in the southwestern part of the district, flows north- ward, and
empties into the main creek where Taylor, Harrison, and Marion Counties
join. Sugar Camp run heads in the eastern part of the district, and flows
west into Booths creek. Coons run heads in the southwest, flows northeast,
and empties into West Fork River. Homers Run and Shinns Run are other small
streams in the district.
The first grist mill was
built in 1807 by Clement Shinn, on
Shinns run; it was about fourteen feet square, and native millstones were
used. A few years after it was built he attached a saw mill.
The date of the first school
taught is uncertain, but in 1813 Rev. Asa Shinn
taught in a small log cabin located at Shinnston. There are now thirteen
good school houses in the district, all well ventilated and lighted; they
are all one story, and arranged to accommodate forty or fifty scholars,
excepting that at Shinnston, which is two stories high and will seat 120.
The enrollment of scholars
in the different subdistricts is as follows: No. 1, Strum school- house,
25; No. 2, Bingamon Creek, 41; No. 3, Lincoln, 52; No. 4, Shinnston Grade
School, 110; No. 5, Mud lick, 36; No. 6, Enterprise, 39, No. 7, Adamsville,
53; No. 8 Homers Run, 30; No. 9, Slocum, 38; No. 10 Saltwell, 47; No. 11,
Long Run, 56; No. 12, Johnson 23; No. 13, Buck, 21; colored school in No.
3, made up of scholars from different subdistricts, 20.
The Shinnston Methodist
Episcopal Church was organized in 1800, by Revs.
Levi and Asa Shinn. The society now occupies a good frame building,
which was built in 1850. Membership, 40; Rev.
D. L. Ash, pastor; Alison Robinson, class teacher.
The Village of Shinnston:
Shinnston is located
on the Clarksburg and Fairmont pike, on the
Shinnston Methodist Protestant
church was organized in 1841, by Rev. Asa
Shinn; constituent members, M. F. Fleming
and wife, J. M. Foutney and wife, Silas Nay and wife, and Sarah Martin;
M. F. Fleming first class leader. The society now occupies a frame
building which was built in 1852. Present membership, 45;
Rev. D. C. Wees pastor; J. W. Carder, class leader.
Coons Run Baptist Church was
organized May 5, 1805, with Rev. John Denham,
pastor; first members, Margaret East, William Wood,
Sarah Martin, Thomas Jenkins, Mary Campbell, Elizabeth Pindell, Margaret
Boyles and Thomas Martin.The
society occupies a frame church building in the village of Adamsville,
which was built in 1853, at a cost of $800. Present membership, 144; Rev.
Henry Langford, pastor.
The Shinnston Baptist
Church was organized in 1873, with Rev. George W.
Bailey, pastor. The society occupies a church erected in 1872, at
a cost of $1,500. Present membership, 47; G. W. Bailey,
The Laurel Point Union
Church is composed of a union of the Methodist Episcopal, Lutheran and
United Brethern societies. The former society was organized in 1851 by
Revs. Aaron Vincent and Gooseman; Rev. Tichnor was
P. E., and George Long first class leader. The building is a frame
one, erected a few years ago at a cost of $650.
West Fork river, eleven miles from Clarksburg.
The site is a level plat of land, with a gradual slope to the surrounding
The Shinnston Cornet Band:
It was laid out in 1818, by Asa
Shinn. The first house on the site
was built by Rev. Levi Shinn in 1802, and
is still standing, although frequently repaired; it is at present occupied
by William Delbridge. The land on which the
village stands was first patented by the three brothers,
Jonathan and Levi Shinn, who came to this vicinity in 1775; the
first child born in the new settlement was
The town became incorporated
in 1853, under the old state, and the following were the first officers:
S. S. Fleming, mayor; B. Tyson Harmer, R. K.
Shinn, Col. J. W. Janes, council; Richard Jackson, sergeant. During
the late war the charter was allowed to lapse, and the present one was
issued June 11, 1877. The following is a list of present officers:
James P. Stout, mayor;
M. C. Jarrett, recorder; T. C. Bryan,
sargeant; A. W. Shinn, B.T. Harman, Sr.,B.
F. Lough, B. F. Anderson, B. A. Reeder council.
Shinnston is a town of
557 inhabitants, well laid out and pleasantly located, and contains some
fine private residences and other build- ings.
The two story frame school
building was erected in 1860, at a cost $1,600, and originally used as
a Town Hall; it was purchased in 1864 by the school board, who fitted it
up for school purposes. The Shinnston grade school that now occupies this
building, has one principal and two as- sistant teachers, and an enrollment
of 120 sholars.
The town has two churches
previously mentioned, of the Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant
re- presented by two steam flour mills, with a saw mill attached to one
of them, one planing mill, one pottery establish- ment and a wagon shop.
The mercantile business is represented by several stores and shops.
This was the first post
office in the district; the others are Adamsville and Enterprise.
One of the institutions
of the town was organized January 23, 1877, with
M. C. Jarrett, as leader. The present member- ship is as follows:
M. C. Jarrett, 1st E-Flat cornet; A. L. Jarrett,
2nd E-flat; G. T. Harrison, 1st B- flat cornet;
J. Jarrett, 2nd B flat; H. T. Shinn,
solo alto; Emory Stichler, 1st alto; W.
T. Reeder, 2nd alto; John Knox, 1st
tenor; Albert Knox, 2d tenor;
Haught, baritone; Dorsey Shore, tuber;
S. Long, bass drum and cymbals; Hugh
Shinn, snare- drummer.
St. Johns Lodge
No. 24, A. F. and A. M.
Received its charter November
11, 1868, and the following were chosen first officers:
Van B. Hall, W. M.; David E. Foreman, S. W.; Lemuel D. Jarvis, J. W. Present
officers: David M. Shinn, W. M.; John W. Carder,
S. W.; William E. Swiger, J. W. Present membership, 41; regular
meetings the second and foutth Saturdays of each month. The order has recently
purchased a fine piece of land fourteen miles southwest of Shinnston, on
the Clarksburg and Fairmont pike, to be used as a masonic cemetery.
Silver Keystone Lodge,
Was organized January 7,
1880, as No. 10. Its object is the "social, intellectual and moral improvement
of the youth;" they prohibit the use of intoxicating liquors, and are guided
by their motto, "Love, Union and Virtue." The present officers are as follows:
W. T. Reeder M.K.; W. A. Davis, V. M. K.; W. A. Knox, secretery;
H. W. Harmer, treasurer; M.
J. Jarrett, instructor; J. H. Everson,
mar.; A. E. Davisson, stew.; D.
B. Shore, sen.;
W. J. S. Harmon, chap.
and P. M. S. Long, pro.; C.
W. Sehon, L. S. to M. K.; G. M. Haught, L.
S. Present membership, 26.
No. 125, I.O.O.F.
Was organized October 23,
1854, by Thomas G. Steele, Dep. G. M., under
dispensation from the grand lodge of Virginia, and a charter was granted
in 1855. The following were the first officers: P.
K. Shinn, N. G.; Leonard Clark, V.G.;
C. Ross secretary; Bart Clark, treasurer;
Tyson Harmer, chaplin; D. S. Ebert,
warden; A. W. Shinn, con.;
H. Ogden, R.S. to V. G.; S. J. Ogden,
L. S. to V. G.; Wm. Robinson, I. G.; T.
C. Wamsley, O.G. After the organization of the state, the lodges
were renumbered, and this became No. 16. The present officers are as follows:
Alison Robinson, N. G.; Wm. J. S. Harmer,
V. G.; B. A. Reeder, treasurer; M.
J. Jarrett, secretary; Present membership, 40; the order has a surplus
fund of over $600.