In 1887 a group of concerned
Christians who had been holding
services in the Elliott school house were in agreement that they had
need of a church.
Plans were made
at a regular business meeting held at the Elliott
school on April 30, 1887, to call a council of churches to consider
properly organizing a regular Baptist Church. The meeting was held
on Saturday afternoon before the first Sunday in June at 3:00PM.
Four neighboring churches were invited to send their ministers and deacons:
Namely, Sardis Baptist, Bethany Baptist, Jones Run Baptist and
Olive Branch Baptist. The church was organized and named "Ten Mile."
The Church Covenant and Articles of Faith were read and adopted
and a request for admission into the body of the Judson Association
On February 4,
1888, at a regular business meeting a committee
of three were appointed to secure ground on which to build a church.
This committee consisted of F E Hall, W E Coffman, and E Lee Coffman.
The land on which the church now stands and the cemetery nearby
(which was then known as the Elisha Hall burying ground), was deeded
to the trustees of the Ten Mile Baptist Church, Fabius E Hall,
Charles W Land and E Lee Coffman and they successors in
office as trustees of said church. The deed was recorded at the
Harrison County Courthouse December 26, 1888.
According to the
minutes the building and soliciting committee reported
the foundation had been laid, frame work and stuffing sawed by March 1889.
This committee consisted of J M Coffman, A T Swiger, J A Swiger, E L
Coffman, and J E Bartlett.
Submitted by Mariana Zuelsdorf
Harrison Co Histories