Above the town of Ripley, Mill Creek opens out in a wide fertile valley, running back south between two lines of hills, nearly straight for two miles up the creek, when a spur from the western ridge runs out across the valley, as if to shut back the wide area of level bottomland bordering the creek, and hold all beyond for the unbroken dominion of hill and plateau.
Were this the case, the failure is complete, for swerving to the left the valley sweeps round the rocky promontory with undiminished breadth and beauty, and continues straight for another three quarters of a mile, until blocked by the towering majesty of Salt Lick Hill, which compels it to turn at almost a right angle to the left.
The Salt Lick Spring, from which the hill takes its name, was in Skidmore's field, down to the east of the road. The pike used to pass west of Salt Hill.
A half mile above is the forks of the creek, and the width of the valley diminishes where the stream divides.
From the forks of the creek down to the mouth of Sycamore is a distance of about three and one half miles.
The united volume of Tug and Trace Forks sweep grandly on in a series of bends and turns, hugging first one hill and again the other, crossing the valley at almost right angles, leaving great bodies of bottom land, first on one side, and then on the other.
Fair sized farms might be laid out in these wide, fertile bottoms, scarcely encroaching on the slopes of the hillsides.
How beautiful the prospect must have been when this valley stood in unbroken forest, with majestic oaks and poplars rearing their stately columns skyward, mingling their leafy branches a hundred feet above the ground. Also beech, sugar maple, elm and shellbark hickory, with trunks no less imposing, grew thickly everywhere.. The sycamores, common to Mill Creek, grew here in every dimension, from the symmetrical sapling, of no more than a few spans in girth, to the giant trees in whose hollow trunks men might find shelter, and spread their gnarled white arms and tossed their myriad balls by the water side.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
Into this sylvan paradise, broken only by the packhorse trail leading from the Salt Springs above Charleston to the settlements at the mouth of the Little Kanawha, came the pioneers of advancing civilization, "the first low wash of waves where soon should roll a human sea", and planted their cabins amid the beauties of the wilderness.
William Bonnet, Thomas Carney, George Casto, were the names of the men who first built homes on this the "Heart of Jackson County", and many of the citizens of her communities are today proud to trace their ancestry back to these three men.
William Bonnet came to Mill Creek from the Hacker's Creek settlements, in what is now Lewis or Harrison Counties.
The exact date of his settlement is not accessible, but it was before 1816, probably antedating that time by several years, there are circumstances which point to a date as early as 1809 or 1810.
He bought a large boundary extending from the Parsons's farm at Sycamore to the fording of the creek two miles above. Probably, like most of the first farms, it did not run far back on the hills.
He built his humble cabin about the middle of his possessions, where as stream comes in from the left, where he lived until just before the beginning of the Civil War, seeing the Mill Creek Valley changed from a "howling wilderness" to a thickly settled prosperous community, and his children grow up and settle around him.
As immigration began to pour in, he sold off parts of his farm. He sold that part of the lower end lying on the right bank of Mill Creek, to his son-in-law, Isaac Flesher.
The left side of the stream was sold to Peter Cleek, of Bath County, Virginia.
One hundred and fifty acres at the ford was purchased by his brother-in-law, John Harpold, about 1830, and a tract a little lower down and to the right of the creek, by Lewis Acree, a little earlier.
As before stated, William Bonnet came from Hacker's Creek, in Harrison or Lewis County. The same settlement furnished many of the pioneers of Roane and Jackson Counties. Among those coming to Mill Creek were the Harpolds, Wolfes and Hyres.
William Bonnet came about 1811, probably soon after his marriage. He is spoken of as a large muscular man, and was noted for his great strength and activity. It is said that he would flail wheat for one bushel out of seven or eight. He married Barbara Harpold, who was of German descent. She is said to have spoken English very brokenly. She was a sister of John and Solomon Harpold, and is described as being a very tall woman. She was born February 3rd, 1784, and lived to be eighty three years old. She died in 1867.
William and Barbara Bonnet raised a large family. Among their children were:
Lizzie Bonnet, married Isaac Flesher, and lived on a part of the Bonnet farm, on the west side of Ripley.
Margaret Bonnet, married William Carney, and lived below Harpold Ford, on the Bonnet place.
John Bonnet, married Merceline Armstrong, a sister of J.L. and M.B. Armstrong. He lived on McCutcheon's Run, below Reedy, and also on Sycamore.
Sally Bonnet, married James (Jim) Baker. He lived for some years near Reedy.
Mary Bonnet married an Ours, of Tug fork, and moved to Ohio.
Nicholas Bonnet, married first Catherine Staats, daughter of Elijah Staats, and later Sarah Staats, her half sister.
Matilda Bonnet, married Christopher Craig. She died in 1839, and is sleeping with her parents in the Ripley graveyard. Their daughter, Matilda Craig, married B.F. Casto, whose son is Holly Casto.
William Bonnet, Jr., married Lavisa Ann Vandyne. He like his father, was a noted athlete and fighter. He was born on Mill Creek in 1811, and died at the age of eighty one, on the waters of Poca.
Susan Bonnet married William Parsons, son of Captain Billy Parsons.
Louisa Bonnet was born July 28th, 1816, and died in 1902. She married Dr. W.B McMahon. They went west, where she was taken into the Methodist Church in 1842, by that famous preacher, Peter Cartwright.
The children of William Bonnet, Jr., were: Samuel, William Franklin, Granville Harvey, Elizabeth, Nancy Jane, Louisa, Mazella and Marietta. The latter married Will Stout, son of Joe Stout.
Mr. T.H.B. McMahon has in his possession the bond executed by his father, according to the curious old time law of Old Virginia, when his marriage license was issued. Below is a copy of the same:
"Know all men by these presents, that we, William B. McMahaon and William Bonnet, are held and firmly bound unto John Floyd, Esquire, Governor or Chief Magistrate of the Commonwealth of Virginia, in the just and full sum of $150,000.00 to be paid to the said Governor and his successors in office, for the payment whereof, well and truly to be made to the said Governor and his successors in office, for the use of the said Commonwealth, we bind our selves and each of us, our heirs, executors and administrators jointly and severally, firmly by these presents, sealed with our seals and dated this 11th day of March, 1834.
The condition of the above obligation is such that whereas a marriage is shortly intended to be had and solemnized between the above bound William B. McMahon and Luiza Bonnet, daughter of William Bonnet, of this county. Now if there shall be no lawful cause to obstruct the said marriage, then the above obligation to be void, otherwise to remain in full force and virtue.
(Signed) W.B.McMahon (seal)
(signed) Wm. Bonnet (seal)"
There is a tradition in the Bonnet family that the mother of Lewis Wetzel was a sister of William Bonnet, Sr. Possibly she may have been his aunt.
Another sister is said to have been the mother of George and Stephen Straley.
In the obituary of Elizabeth Wolfe, it is stated that her mother, Elizabeth Bonnet, was a granddaughter of Jesse Hughes.
Elizabeth Wolfe was born in Lewis County, in 1821. Elizabeth Bonnet (no doubt a relative of William Bonnet) married Nicholas Alkire, Martha Hughes married Jacob Bonnet, evidently kin to William, of Mill Creek. Now if Elizabeth Alkire was her child, this would settle the claim.
In a newspaper, I see, January, 1924–
Harvey Bonnet has retired from teaching, after years of continuous teaching, as high as ten years at one schoolhouse.
William Bonnet, Jr., a large muscular man, was a noted athlete and renowned as a fighter. He boasted that he never was out jumped, out wrestled or whipped in his life.
He had a fight once at Ripley, on muster day, with Levi Carney (or Casto), which was the talk of the countryside for years, and in which neither could make the other cry "enough". Bonnet's friends always claimed that if he had been a little less drunk, he would have whipped his man, as it was, he could keep himself together well enough to tell how to place his blows. His favorite drive was underhand striking his opponent in the stomach.
That was a day of "go as you please, catch as catch can, and the best man wins".
Bonnet threw down Humphries, the Sissonville bully, who came to Ripley to wrestle with him.
In the early days, much of the farm work was done at "frolics". Men and women would come for miles and the following night would be spent in dancing. Raisings, rollings, rail maulings, grubbings, and the like were occasions of drinking, dancing and carousal, the outcroppings of the rough cast hospitality and sociability of the time.
At a railmaking at Isaac Flesher's, Bonnet, when a young man, made his stunt, one hundred rails (cut and split) in one hour and thirty minutes.
He carried his well seasoned "gluts" with him from home, inside the tied corners of his "wamus", and had cut and split one hundred and one rails before breakfast. The balance of the day, he spent in talking to the girls, drinking whiskey, and enjoying himself seeing the other men pounding on the big oak rail cuts.
He remembered when a child, hoeing corn where the town of Ripley now stands, and used to tell of seeing wild turkeys fly across the Mill Creek bottoms, from one hill to the other, so fat from feeding on the beech mast that when shot they would burst when they fell to the ground.
When a little boy, he had a small dog, of which he was very fond. One morning while the family were at breakfast, they heard the little dog whining, and Bill, running to the door, saw his pet being dragged up a sugar tree standing in the yard, fast to the hind leg of a panther which it had courageously attacked, and was then unable to let go its hold. The boy commenced crying bitterly at the dangerous predicament of his little friend, who was some twenty feet from the earth, when Bonnet, Senior, relieved the situation by shooting the panther.
William Bonnet lived in his later years on Thirteen, and died about 1892. When he died, he hadn't a decayed tooth in his head, and had not been sick an hour in his life. He was stricken about dark, and in a few hours he was a corpse.
He was at one time jailor at Ripley.
It is related of William Bonnet, Senior, that once while out hunting, he wounded a large bear. His three trusty bear dogs soon overtook and caught the animal which ran down into a steep ravine, with the dogs fighting it. Bonnet hurried to the scene, but unfortunately for himself, his moccasins slipped on the leaves, and he slid down the steep bank, alighting astride the bear's back. This new attack so excited the animal that it made an extra effort, and breaking loose from the dogs, shambled rapidly down the hollow, the hunter on its back, unable to detach himself, and the dogs close at its heels. This chase, however, did not last long, for as the bear passed under a log lying across the hollow, Bonnet was able to reach up and grasp it, and thus draw himself up into safer lodgings, while the dogs soon caught the animal and ended the fight with its death.
William Bonnet, Senior, was a man of rough, unbridled humor, and many were the mischievous "tricks' he and some of his neighbors played on each other.
One night, his wife heard somebody scratching down corn in the crib. Thinking a thief was at work, she wakened Old Billy, but he told her it was only rats, and dropped to sleep again. The noise continuing, Barbara roused him again, and finally she prevailed on him to get up and investigate. Muttering and grumbling, Bonnet arose and went out to the crib, clothed alone in the one garment nearest nature's own provision. When he reached the crib, Levi Carney, a neighbor who had been clawing down corn to attract Bonnet's attention, clambered out, caught his airily clad friend by the shirt collar, and administered a sound switching with a withe prepared for the occasion, all in the way of a joke.
The victim said little at the time, but soon after took a large withe and went where he would meet this neighbor, and with the exclamation "Godney, Levi you have to take it now", proceeded to wear his withe out on the joker. For either to have got mad would have been considered a gross breech of etiquette by their neighbors.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
Lewis Acree was from Bath County, Virginia. He married Mary Cleek, who was a daughter of Peter Cleek, for whom she named her son Peter. Their children were:
Peter C. Acree (mentioned above) was born March 9th, 1829, and died at Walton, in Roane County, in June, 1904. He married Nancy, daughter of John and Mary Vinyard Paxton. They had two sons, George and Adam Acree, who were in the Confederate Army.
Charles L. Acree, son of Lewis, was in the Union Army, as was Peter C., the father of the two boys mentioned above.
Lewis Acree was born in Bedford County, Virginia, in 1783, and died on Mill Creek in 1844. Mary Cleek Acree was born in Bath County, Virginia, in 1802, and died August 1th, 1843. My informant "Aunt" Hannah Harpold Staats, now deceased, described Mary Acree as one of the "kindest and best women that ever lived".
Lewis Acree moved to the section known as Kentuck, in 1845.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
Peter Cleek came from Bath County, Virginia, to Mill Creek, probably some time before 1831. He had a large family of children, among them were:
Nancy Cleek married Ben Baker, and lived near the mouth of Reedy until 1840, when Baker sold his farm to Hayes Paxton.
Adam Cleek married Dollie Pfost.
Elizabeth Cleek, the youngest daughter, married Robert R Riely.
Also, I presume to be Peter Cleek's children:
Peter Cleek, born about 1833.
Francis Marion Cleek, born at Kentuck, in 1844.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
The next owner of the Cleek farm was Hon. R. R. Riley.
Matson Riley came across the Virginian mountains. He and his wife were both of Irish descent.
Robert and John Riley came to Jackson County in 1832, and engaged in teaching school.
John Riley first laid off the town of Ripley and plotted the town. He did other surveyor's work, as also did Robert later, he being on of the four men who surveyed and marked the boundaries of Roane County a its organization in 1856.
Buckskin breeches, linsey hunting shirt and cap of coon or fox skin was a common garb, when the Riley first came to Ripley.
Robert taught about a year, when he was appointed constable, a position he held for several years. He was a Whig while that party continued in existence, voting for Bell and Everett in 1860, against the ordinance of secession, and with the Republican party afterward. He was one time Clerk of the Circuit Court, and filled other positions of trust.
He went to housekeeping in a little cabin near the large rock behind the residence occupied in 1899 by Mr. Alfred Waters, at the time of his marriage.
In 1857, he bought the farm on the hill above Mill Creek, with which the name Riley is associated.
A more detailed outline of the Riley family follows.
Matson Riley came across the Virginia Mountains (Loudoun County) to the Little Kanawha Valley, in what is now Wood County. His father and mother were both of Irish descent. One member of the family expresses it thus - The "Rileys came from North Ireland, where Rileys were so thick you couldn't throw up a potato without it hitting a Riley when it fell". He is presumed to be a descendant of either John or Robert Riley, two brothers who came to America, and probably located first in Virginia.
Matson Riley was a farmer, a blacksmith, and a member of the Baptist Church. He died in Jackson County, Ohio, at the age of ninety three years. He married Mary Dye, and they raised a large family. Their children were:
Joshua Riley, a Baptist minister.
Robert R. Riley, the founder of the Ripley family.
Margaret Riley married George Bennett, moved to Ohio.
Mary Riley married Samuel King.
Hannah Riley married Zachariah Hickman.
Caroline Riley married Calvin Staats.
Robert R. Riley, with John and Amos, are the members of the family who came to Jackson County. He was born March 21st, 1812, and died in 1899. He came to Jackson county in 1830. He married Elizabeth Cleek, who died at the age of fifty eight years. They raised a large family of children, among them were:
John H. Riley.
Mary E. Riley married George Rankin.
W. W. (Wirt) Riley. Attended a University, where he studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1873. He married Laura V, daughter of J. L. Armstrong.
Hester A. Riley married George McCoy.
R. R. Riley.
Emma P. Riley married D. B. Dawkins.
Peter M. Riley.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
Isaac Flesher was born in Harrison County, and lived in the Hacker's Creek, or Weston country, and married Elizabeth Bonnet, daughter of William and Barbara Harpold Bonnet.
He came to Mason County in 1811, and probably married after coming our, though in the absence of evidence we can only theorize. His son, William Bonnet Flesher, was born in 1822, probably on the Mill Creek farm. William B. married Eliza, daughter of Gilbert and Lydia Flesher McKown, a cousin in some degree.
Another son was Andrew J, born in 1827, married Sarah, daughter of Daniel and Hannah Sayre Weaver.
William Bonnet Flesher was postmaster at Silverton, in 1883. He married (says one account) Lydia McKown, a sister of Gilbert McKown, who was born in 1823.
The Flesher farm was sold to the Sheriff, George Casto, in 1834, under the insolvent law of Virginia, for the benefit, Flesher being then held in the Ripley jail, a prisoner for debt, at the instance of John Warth.
Andrew Flesher lived on part of the same land, he may have been a brother of Isaac. He owned, it is said, the land on which Weston now stands, selling it in 1813. He moved overland to Ohio, crossing the river at Buffington's Island.
In those days there were no roads, everything being conveyed on pack horses, on trails which were frequently up steep ascents, or along the face of cliffs, where there was scant room to pass with the cumbersome loads. The fording of the streams was frequently especially difficult and dangerous. For making this trip, the children and smaller chattels were placed in huge split baskets and tied on the pack saddles for safe conveyance over the mountains, and for fording the streams.
While making the crossing at Cedar Creek, in Gilmer County, the basket in which Lydia, an eleven year old daughter, was being carried, came loose and she was precipitated into the flood, and thoroughly wetted, as well and badly frightened, before she could be rescued from her dangerous predicament.
After living in Ohio for a time, Flesher recrossed the river and stayed for some years on Big Sand Creek. Later he moved to a farm above Ripley. He lived there at the time his daughter Lydia married Gilbert McKown.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
John Harpold bought one hundred acres of land of William Bonnet adjoining the ford where the Charleston trail crossed the creek.
It was here and it is said to be about this time that the unfortunate young minister for whom the town of Ripley is named, met death in the swirling flood. It seems probable to me, however, that that sad event was of earlier occurrence.
When Harpold first moved to the ford, there are said to have been but six houses on Mill Creek. This must be a mistake, as there were several families settled along the creek before that.
When he first went to housekeeping on Parchment may be what is meant.
These would have been Benjamin Wright, Thomas Flowers, Daniel Sayre, Abram Staats, William Evans, Captain W. L. Parsons.
David Harpold, a son of John, married Mary, a daughter of Jacob Hyre, who lived about two miles farther up Mill Creek, an account of whom will be given later.
He bought land and built a cabin in the woods, and moved on it, working at Douglasses at the mouth of Mill Creek, to get money to pay out on his farm, going down on Monday and returning on Saturday night. In this way, after many a weary tramp, he earned money to secure his home.
When he first moved in the midst of the unbroken forest, his furniture was all of the most primitive kind, bedsteads were made by hewing out a post, and standing it on the puncheons of the floor at the proper distance from the walls, into holes bored in this post and in the logs of the cabin were inserted the ends of round poles, properly fashioned, split boards were laid with one end on the side rail, and the other end on a cleat pinned to the wall with wooden pegs, or in a crack between the logs, if the height were right. This completed the bedstead. The table was a wide poplar slab, hewed out and legs inserted. Chairs were made on the same plan, either long benches, or three legged stools. A large sugar trough was utilized as a cradle when that article of furniture became necessary. The cupboard was made by laying boards on pins in the wall, next one corner.
With all these disadvantages (which were more imagined than real) the young couple prospered and raised a large family, some of whom are yet living near the place of their birth, among them John A. and Sandusky Harpold, and Mrs. David Latimer, of Roane County.
Mrs. Mary Harpold died in 190_, at the age of eighty four, the husband passed away several years earlier.
Though a very old woman at the time of her death, Mrs. Harpold was born and raised and lived all her life on upper Mill Creek.
Hannah Staats, probably the last surviving member of John Harpold's family, died at her home in Ripley last August (1905). Had she lived until the 9th of August, she would have been seventy nine years old. She was in very poor health for several years before her death, and every time I called on her, was confined to her bed. She loved, however, to talk of the days of her girlhood.
Hannah Harpold was born in 1826. In 1848 she married Mark Staats, son of Elijah Staats, of Evans. They lived together for fifty seven years. How lonely the frail old man must feel as he totters on down to the grave without her.
Had she lived a few days longer, it was contemplated by her children, relatives and friends to give her a surprise birthday party. Her children and grandchildren are among the best citizens of Jackson County.
Mark Staats had a Seth Thomas clock for which he paid $12.00, fifty one years before my visit in 1904, which was still running and keeping good time. Mrs. Staats' father had an old wooden wheeled Yankee clock when she was a girl, for which he traded a cow and which was always called by the family "the cow clock".
The first preacher she remembers was an evangelist, or wandering missionary preacher of the U. B. Church, named Moses Michael.
Her first school was one taught by John Riley in a vacant house of the Riley farm, as it was afterward called, in 1832. This was an old cabin which stood out close the base of the island or hill which stands out in the bottom just above Ripley. She and a sister learned their A. B. C.;s. The teacher promised a primer to the one that first got to "Baker" in the spelling. She got the primer, which she had until a few years ago. When he gave her the primer, he told her it was for both she and her sister, but when she was generously beginning to divide the book, he interfered and prevented her from tearing it in two.
She also had an "elementary" spelling book up to a recent date, but it was some earlier kind she took to school her first term.
Her next school was in a little log schoolhouse built by the neighbors on Charles Carney's farm.
The teacher was Lewis Acree.
Solomon Harpold married Malinda Shinn, and purchased a large tract of land on Parchment, on which he raised his family.
About the year 1808 or 1809, three brothers, John, Solomon and Adam Harpold came to Mason County (now Jackson) to the Mill Creek settlement. After a time, two of them married and settled in the then wilderness of Parchment Valley. These were John and Solomon. Adam, the third brother, located in Meigs County, Ohio.
There are said to be two other brothers, Lemuel and Peter, neither of whom figure in Jackson County history.
An older sister married William Bonnet and moved to Mason County (now Wood) about the same time the Harpold brothers came.
John Harpold was born September 1st, 1788, and died March 28th, 1871. He married Rachel Sayre. She was born January 12th, 1791. Both are buried in the Harpold graveyard. Their children were:
John Armstrong Harpold married Caroline, daughter of James chancey. He died in 1901 and his wife in 1902. She was born in 1840.
David Harpold married Mary Hyre.
Hannah Harpold married Mark Staats.
Henrietta Harpold married William Rogers, a newcomer. They went to Missouri.
Adam Harpold was a teacher, but never married.
Absalom Harpold married Madeline, daughter of Ben Bord.
Sarah Harpold married Thomas, a son of Patrick Bord.
Margaret Harpold married Aaron Pfost and went to Missouri.
Judge Brown, in his Centennial address, mentions a Nicholas Harpold on Mill Creek, in 1811. Perhaps he means Solomon Harpold.
Solomon Harpold married Malinda Shinn. Their children were:
Henry Harpold married a daughter of Robert Lowther.
Charles Harpold lives in Ravenswood.
Val Harpold lives on Grasslick.
Samuel Harpold (now dead).
Wesley Harpold (now dead).
William Harpold married Nancy (last name not learned). Their children were:
James H. Harpold who was Assessor of Jackson County and a hardware merchant of Cottageville. Their children were:
John M. Harpold.
Charles L. Harpold.
A daughter married M. Gillespie.
A daughter married D. D. Park,
Rena married a Hughes.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
About a half mile above the Harpold ford, or a little more, a small run comes into Mill Creek from the right. It comes down out of the hills and flows across a sort of second bottom or table land for about the same distance that it extends back into the hills, at something like half way between the base of the hill and the creek, it is joined by a branch from the left, and up this branch runs the Charleston Pike, as probably did the old pack trail.
On this run, out a short distance from the creek, it is said, in the spring of 1811, Thomas Carney accompanied by his family and his father, John Carney, built his cabin home. He owned at one time a large tract of the Mill Creek bottoms, reaching nearly or quite up to the mouth of Tug Fork.
John Carney is said to have been a soldier in the Revolutionary War in the East, and to have lost two sons in the American Army. One account says Thomas Carney was in the Patriot Army also, but he would have been but fifteen when peace was proclaimed, so I think it doubtful if it be correct.
Professor Mix, County Superintendent of Upshur County, in 1904, writes:
"Just thirty years after the Pringle brothers began their pioneer life in the hollow of the sycamore tree standing on the south bank, near the mouth of Turkey Run, Mr. Haddox, in a primitive log cabin, near the mouth of Radcliff's Run, taught the first school in the bounds of the present county of Upshur." This would make the date 1794.
Our reliable informer also tells us the names of some who attended this first school.
Adam, Daniel and George Carper of present site of Buckhannon.
Tingles, Finks and Hyres of Fink's Run.
All these names are represented in the history of Jackson, Roane, Wood and Wirt counties. The above is quoted, as it is valuable to show where many of our pioneers first lived, but there is apparently a grievous mistake as to the date, though the "thirty" years may be a misprint, and twenty the number intended.
Again, the Professor says the date of Mr. Haddox's school was just nine months after Washington left the White House. This would make it December, 1797, instead of 1794, as he first states. From this, I conclude Professor Mix is very much mixed, as to dates.
We will suppose 1784 to be not far wrong, and this is the first mention of Thomas Carney, long one of the leading citizens of Jackson County.
Thomas Carney, son of John Carney, was born, says one informant, "in the Shanado' valley, on the Buckhannon River." It is not unlikely that he was born on the Shenandoah River, and came from there to the Buckhannon. He was of Irish stock, as the name fully shown.
A quaint inscription on an old fashioned flag headstone by a neglected grave in the Mount Clavary cemetery, half way between the site of the cabins of John Harpold and Thomas Carney, reads:
Thomas Carney was eight years a "spy" or Indian Scout for the State of Virginia.
Many were the adventures and exciting incidents he met with during his service, a few of which have been preserved among his posterity. On one occasion, it is related, while out with another man on a hunting or scouting expedition somewhere in the eastern part of the state, they lay down at night in the forest to sleep, some twenty paces apart. Awaking in the night, he heard a peculiar noise which, as he overcame the first confusion of thought caused by the sudden arousing from sound slumber, he made out to be like that of men running. Springing up, he saw, by the light of the moon, which was shining dimly through the woods, his companion disappearing among the trees, closely pursued by an Indian with uplifted tomahawk. Carney fled in the opposite direction and came into the fort the next day, finding his comrade had arrived the night before.
He had escaped from his enemy by bounding over a narrow gully he had come to in his headlong flight, while his pursuer, intent on the scalp of the fleeing fugitive, had not noticed the obstruction in time to check himself or to leap over it, but, running over the top of the bluff, fell into the ravine and was unable to make his way out before the man had made good his escape.
Another time, while out on a hunting expedition, in the afternoon it commenced raining, getting worse and worse, a prolonged steady drizzle. Toward night, he and his companion, finding a large shelving rock in a gulch, crawled under to pass the night, thoroughly wet and miserable.
In the night, they heard a noise like someone crawling in the leaves. Thinking it might be Indians, they managed to secure their dog and keep him as quiet as possible. Meanwhile, alert and watchful for development, they could hear whatever it was, moving through the leaves a few paces, then stop "and parley like" (as my informant quaintly put it), presently going on again slowly and cautiously. This it did until it had completely compassed the cave two or three times. Sometimes it would come out on top of the rock over them. Finally, having completely investigated the surroundings, it came up on the entrance of the cave, and, just as they saw the form of a large wolf silhouetted against the sky, made a spring for the dog, which they promptly turned loose to meet the attack.
Thomas Carney and a party, it is related, followed some Indians who had raided the Buckhannon Settlements and driven off a number of horses. The scouts who were under the command of a man named White, came on evening to a large over jutting rock, under which hunting parties sometimes encamped, and being close upon the Indians, they approached the spot cautiously, lest the Indians should be concealed nearby.
Finding the coast clear, they concluded to go into camp until morning. So, after preparing their evening meal, they set pickets and laid down under the shelter of the rock for the night.
This place was known as Hughes's Rock, after the celebrated Indian fighter, Jesse Hughes, and was situated at the site of the present town of Spencer.
Next morning, they started early and soon came to the abandoned night camp of the enemy, a mile or so down the creek.
There was among the scouts a young man who wore a military coat with brass buttons. Captain White warned him to pull the showy garment off, as they were very near the enemy and might be fired on from ambush at any moment, and his showy garment so strongly contrasted with coarse hunting shirts of his companions would render him a conspicuous target for their rifles.
The youth replied they would shoot the first man they saw, anyhow, and refused to remove the coat.
A little farther on, they came to where the Indians had crossed the stream, and the water was still muddy from the crossing of the animals. White again urged the young man to take off his coat, but without effect. Two hundred yards further, as they were advancing slowly and cautiously, they were fired upon by the Indians, ambushed among the laurels on a nearby point. The imprudent youth fell at the first fire, pierced by seven bullets, though none of the others was seriously hurt.
Springing behind trees, the scouts returned the fire vigorously, shooting for where they saw the puffs of smoke rise among the laurels. Soon the invisible foe retired, and an examination of their hiding place showed a considerable quantity of blood, but if any were killed or wounded, they were carried off by their friends in their retreat. After following a short distance, the whites returned and buried the body of their unfortunate comrade. First cutting out a grave with their hatchets, they felled a lynn tree and cutting off a section, split in to puncheons, two of which were set on edge in the bottom of the grave, and the body being placed between them, was covered with slabs. When completed, the grave was heaped with stones to keep away the wild beasts, and the party returned to the settlements.
Another incident tells that some time after Granny Carney's marriage, she lived two miles from the fort. Her father would not let any of her people stay with her, saying one was enough to lose.
Once, while by herself, Carney being off on a scout, Indians having been reported in the vicinity, she became frightened and went out, and climbing up into an apple tree, concealed herself among the leaves. Presently, she saw two men with red handkerchiefs tied over their heads, as a signal of danger, come running to the cabin, and not finding her, after some search, came out and soon striking her trail, followed her to the tree, one of the men her brother, Captain Billy Parsons, called her down and hastened with her to the fort.
Another time, a cow came up in the evening, frightened nearly to death and bloody, Polly Carney took her two little children and hurried to the fort. Next morning, investigation showed that some wild animal had torn off the cow's tail.
"Granny" Carney used to relate that the Indians raided the settlement and killed a family not far from the Buckhannon fort.
A party which went to the scene of the disaster found a child which had been tomahawked and scalped, and left for dead.
Seeing there was still life in the little body, they conveyed it to the fort. The child so far recovered as to call for something, though no one could understand what it said. Next day, its grandmother, an old German woman, came into the fort. She asked the child what it wanted in that language, and it replied in the same, that it wanted milk, which was furnished. It had been calling for milk in "Dutch", and none present understood it. It only lived a few days.
Thomas Carney's wife, Polly Carney, was a sister of Captain Billy Parsons. She was born on New Year's Day, in 1773, married perhaps about 1793, and died on December 4th 1863, aged ninety years, eleven months and three days.
She lies by the side of her husband in the beautiful Harpold graveyard, overlooking the farm on which she so long resided.
When Carney came to Mill Creek, he is said to have owned the bottom lands from the Bonnet farm to and including the Keenan farm, a mile and half above.
As game grew scarcer, he became dissatisfied, and sold off or divided his land among his sons, and he moved to Reedy.
He may have moved to Reedy about 1830, or a little earlier. There is on record at Ripley, a deed dated April 14th, 1830, in which Henry Clark and wife convey to Thomas Carney of Wood County, two hundred acres, being a part of a tract of land purchased by them of William Tucker and sold to William B Reynolds, apparently not paid for by Reynolds.
This Reynolds lived on the Kanawha River, below Charleston.
William Roach bought two hundred acres of Reynolds, where he lived, and the Moss farm was one hundred fifty acres. Carney's land was at the mouth of Staats Run.
On April 22, 1833, Thomas Carney gave Charles Carney a Deed of Trust to secure payment of $1,100.00 on one hundred forty acres on the east side of Mill Creek, with George Casto as Trustee, and on the 24th of Mar, 1834, for a further consideration of $1.00, made a full Warranty deed for same.
Thomas Carney raised a family of five sons and eight daughters, most of whom married and settled in Jackson county, and raised large families of their own, so that now hundreds of the citizens of Jackson and Roane Counties trace their ancestry back to Thomas and Polly Carney.
Jesse Carney was born in what is now Upshur County, February 23rd, 1797, and died at his home on Mill Creek, July 31st, 1879. He married Sarah Greene, of Mason County, a sister of Neddy Greene of Grass Lick.
Sarah Greene was born in 1798, died September 16th, 1869. They are buried in the Harpold cemetery overlooking the fine farm which was once their home.
This farm laid on the left side of Mill Creek, below the Chase Mills, and the house stood near the bank of the creek at the ford below Charles Carneys. Back from the creek to the foot of the hill slope which ascends very gradually is eight five poles, and in 1905 the field behind the house had been tended in corn and when cut the corn had been shocked in double rows for seeding purposes, about eight by sixteen hills, and one row contained over one hundred shocks.
It is one of the finest pieces of bottomland in Jackson County. On the Windon place, near Chase's Mill, was a field of forty acres, all creek bottom.
Maria Carney was one of the oldest of the children of Thomas Carney. She grew to womanhood, but died unmarried.
Charles Carney may have been older than Jesse. He married Elizabeth Greene, who died November 28th, 1867, aged sixty one years, ten months.
He lived on the home farm, near where Joseph McCoy afterward lived, and was at one time one of the wealthiest and most influential men in Jackson County.
Overtaken by adversity, he lost his farm, and moved up the creek to the old Rollins farm, at the mouth of Tug Fork. Later he sold that also, or had it sold from him, and lived in the vicinity of Sissonville.
Spencer Carney was the youngest son.
He took a ten year lease of Fisher, on the Badget farm, on the Middle Fork of Reedy, and lived there eight years. He sold the lease and went to Indiana.
He had fourteen children, all grown before he moved.
William Carney married Margaret Bonnet. He appears to have first lived below the Harpold ford, and later to have moved to the Middle Fork, or somewhere else on Poca Waters or, as it is vaguely expressed "out toward Charleston".
Mizraim Carney married Joseph Stout, and lived on Parchment, on what is known as Cox's Fork.
Malinda Carney married Peter P. Thomas, who came from Pennsylvania. He lived on the Middle Fork of Poca, three miles below Kentuck. Squire William Thomas, at present a Justice in Washington District, was her son.
John Carney lived on Left Reedy near Reedyville, died, and was the first person buried in the Crislip graveyard.
Afterward, his widow married a Shinn, Charles Shinn, of Station Camp is her son.
Anna Carney was three times married. Her first husband was Cornelius Staats, son of Abraham Staats. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and was killed. He left two children, Isaac, father of Enoch Staats, and Polly, who married James Chancey.
His widow married William R Randolph, who also died, leaving one son, William R. Randolph, who died in the Union Army.
Anna Carney wedded as her third husband, Enoch Thomas. They raised several children. He lived at the Chase farm above Jess Carney's and owned the mill.
At the bend in Mill Creek, where it strikes the base of Salt Lick Hill and turns sharply to the right, there are many rocks and a considerable fall in the stream in a short distance, furnishing an excellent water power, and it was here Enoch Thomas erected a mill, the first on Mill Creek above Ripley. Later it passed into the hands of John Bumgardner, whose people lived in Mason County. Bumgardner owned the mill in 1841, when his son was born.
About fifty years ago, he moved to the lower waters of the Middle Fork of Poca, where his sons John, Jack and "Peeky" still reside.
Enoch Thomas was drowned in Mill Creek, just above Ripley. Mrs. Thomas's three husbands are said to have been buried in the old burying ground at Ripley, side by side.
Hannah Carney married Levi Casto, son of William Casto, and lived in the bend of the creek, above Harpold ford, where C.C. Casto now resides. She was the mother of a large family.
Sketches of the remaining Carney children will be given in the history of Reedy.
A more detailed account of the Carney family follows:
Thomas Carney was a son of John Carney, was born Octover 15th, 1768, and died October 19th, 1846. He married Polly Parsons, a sister of Captain Billy Parsons. She was born January 1st, 1773 and died December 4th, 1863. Their children were:
Maria Carney, died unmarried.
Jesse Carney, married Sally Greene.
Charles Carney, married Betsey Greene.
William Carney, married Margaret Bonnet.
John Carney, married a widow Shinn.
Delilah Carney, married William Roach. She was born in 1800 and died in 1884.
Malinda Carney, married Peter P. Thomas.
Anna Carney, married Enoch Thomas.
Spencer Carney, married Sally Hyde.
Peggy Carney, married John Staats. She was born in 1820 and died in 1881.
Dorcas Carney, married John Brown. She was born in 1816 and died in 1897.
Massy Carney married Joseph Stout.
Hannah Carney married Levi Casto.
Enoch Carney, born in 1811, died in 1833, was probably a son of Thomas Carney.
Jesse Carney was born in February 23rd, 1797, and died July 31st, 1879. He married Sarah Greene, who was born in 1806 and died in 1867. Their children were:
Miriam Carney, married Arle Dewitt, a son of one of the pioneers of Belleville.
Mozraim "Massy" Carney, married Joseph Stout. Their children were:
Tommy Stout, married Minerva Casto
Mary Stout, married Jim Rhodes.
Mazella Stout, married Jim Lesher, a brother of John C Lesher.
A daughter married George Stewart.
Henry Nelson Stout was born in 1845. He married L. E. Grant, of Portsmouth, Ohio. Perna Stout was their child.
Malinda Carney married Peter Thomas. Their children were:
Spencer Carney married Sally Hyde. Their children were:
Tom Carney who lived at Portland, Ohio.
Jane Carney married Patton Carder.
Anna Carney married Enoch Thomas. Their children were:
Duck Thomas who was Justice of the Peace.
George Thomas, who was a preacher.
Hiram Thomas, who was a preacher.
Hannah Carney married Levi Casto. Among their children were:
Dr. "Abe" Casto, of Sandyville.
Francis Asbury Casto.
George B. Casto.
Erilla Dorcas Casto, who married Jacob Hyre, Jr. She died when nineteen, and is buried at Mount Calvary.
As before mentioned, the Thomas Mill was located at the bend of the creek. After Thomas's death, the mill became the property of Henry Chase.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
The Chase Mill, it is said, was first built by Enoch Thomas, then passed to Bumgardner, and afterward to Chase, some have Bumgardner first built the mill.
The Chase family lived on Mill Creek two miles below Ripley. The father was Lawrence Chase, who was born in 1833, and died in 1907. He married a Hogsett. Their children, Benjamin Chase, a color bearer, was killed in the Confederate Army. He married Elizabeth Wetzel. Jonathan Chase married a sister of G.W. Sayre. Henry Chase was born April 8th, 1836, and died April 5th, 1906.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
Archibald Skidmore married Sarah Anderson, in Botetourt County, Virginia. They emigrated to Mill Creek about 1831 or 1832, locating on the farm since known as the Skidmore farm, on which Squire George Casto had lived.
Their children were:
Bet, married Henry Rollins.
Angeline Skidmore, married James M. Reynolds.
Isabel Skidmore, married Marshall Cunningham, a son of James Cunningham. He was a boat carpenter, and was drowned off a boat at Cincinnati. She died in Cincinnati a few years ago, aged seventy eight.
Allen A. Skidmore, married "Modlin" Casto, a daughter of Isaac Casto. He has a furniture store in Ripley.
Martha married Gilbert Pringle, and lived near Fairplain.
Archibald, married first Elizabeth Waugh, and second a Wingett. He lived on Parchment.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
James M. Reynolds, who married Angeline Skidmore, was a son of John Reynolds, who was born in 1827, and died in 1891.
They were married in 1847, and lived for a while with her parents. Their oldest child was A.T. Reynolds, usually called ‘Taylor." he was born on the Skidmore farm in September of 1848. Some time after his birth, his father moved across into the cove on the south side of Salt Lick hill, and built a house, the orchard he then planted is still standing, that is many trees are and still bear fruit.
From him, Salt Lick hill, or more correctly speaking, the highest point of the hill, took the name of "Runnel's Knob", by which it is sometimes known.
Taylor Reynolds lives on the ridge just beyond a twin peak of the above mentioned knob. I think it is on a part of the old Reynolds farm, I stayed there the night of the 16th of September, 1904, and found them most pleasant and hospitable people. His wife was a daughter of Mark and Hannah Harpold Staats, mentioned before.
They are all readers and very intelligent, tow of the daughters are, or were, teachers in the schools of Jackson County.
James M Reynolds afterward married the divorced wife of Abraham Rader for his second wife, and lived at the forks of Grass Lick.
On the morning of the 17th, I watched the sun rise from the top of the twin peaks to which should be given the name of Reynolds Knob. I had come in the evening before, about sundown, "weary, hungry and dispirited", tired out, with a ride of about twenty five miles, and had been very hospitably received by those of the household present, although all total strangers to me, the family consisted of two young ladies, Misses Emma and Hannah Reynolds, and a younger girl, Mary, of perhaps sixteen. There was also present an aunt and some of her children from Pennsylvania, and a young man, a cousin also from Pittsburgh, whose name I do not now recall.
The father and mother an one or two of the younger children were on a visit to Charleston, but were expected home at any hour. They did get in about nine o'clock, and although they had other company and were themselves tired and travelworn, made me as welcome as if I were a "long lost uncle".
It was probably near one o'clock when we retired, and perhaps between seven and eight the next morning when the family arose. I, however, awoke about daylight, and going quietly downstairs, took quite a morning stroll before the family was stirring.
From the top of the knob, which stands about one hundred fifty yards east of the house, I beheld one of the most glorious views that can be imagined.
The knob itself was covered thickly with peach trees, some of the later varieties of which were still hanging thick with fruit, large and handsomely painted in red and gold by the lavish hand of nature. At its western base clustered the house and farm building, surrounded and partially hidden, by apple, peach and plum trees.
To the south were the low rolling hills of the Grass Lick country, mostly cleared and well sodded with blue grass, on which were grazing herds of cattle and flocks of sheep. Hill and valley being dotted with farm houses and orchards.
To the north was the wide valley of Mill Creek and the hills around Ripley, the Mill creek Sandy divide on which was discernible the Pleasant View Church at the head of Crooked Fork, "A city set upon a hill that cannot be hid", and beyond this to the west and northwest, miles and miles away -
The Hills of Ohio, how sweetly they rise
In the beauty of nature, to blend with the skies,
With fair azure outline, and tall ancient trees
Ohio, my Country, I love thee for these.
How good to see agin the hill tops of the dear old Buckeye state (the state of my birth).
Salt Hill and Reynolds Knob are the highest land in the vicinity, though not in Jackson County, as someone states. These are nine hundred and ten feet high, while lands near Liverpool reach eleven hundred, and are higher still in the vicinity of Limestone Hill and Kentuck. So far as I can ascertain, Sorrel Knobs reach as high as eleven hundred and forty feet in the Limestone Hill county, which is the highest elevation.
On other sides, the view was bounded by the line of hills circling the headwaters of Mill creek, Elk Fork, Tug Fork, and Parchment. The shortest lookout is perhaps to the high dividing ridge about the head of Joe's Run, some six or eight miles away. While I watched, the sun came up, grand, majestic and glorious, over the summit of the neighboring peak, flooding the hilltops with light and driving shade, smoke and fog lower and lower into ravine and lowland.
The founder of the Reynolds family was Reuben Reynolds, who came from Botetourt county, Virginia, and settled on Poca River, Walton District, Roane County. His wife was Virginia (maiden name not learned). Their children were:
Benjamin Reynolds, married a Dye, in 1838 or 1839. He at one time lived on the Kyger place where Hardman Station now stands.
Thomas Reynolds, son of Reuben, married Lucinda Tolley. They lived on Tug Fork. They had a son, W.L. Reynolds, born in 1841, he married Emily D Miller, daughter of Joshua and Samantha Runyan Miller, William L Reynolds was in Company B, Ninth West Virginia Infantry.
William Reynolds, son of Reuben, married Mary Wolfe, a daughter of Jonathan Wolfe. Their daughter married Bazil Wright.
Sarah Reynolds, daughter of Reuben, married Ferdinand Sallaz, a Swiss Frenchman.
Nancy Reynolds, daughter of Reuben, married a Wood.
Elizabeth Reynolds, daughter of Reuben, married John Casto, son of William Casto, and later she married R.S. Deweese.
Vincent Reynolds, married Isabel Wright.
John Reynolds was born in 1827 and died in 1891. (Wife's name not learned.) James Reynolds, their son, married Angeline Skidmore. A.C. (Taylor) Reynolds was their son.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
The next resident of this homestead was a widow Vandyne, from Botetourt County, Virginia.
The husband, it appears, was dead before they moved out to Jackson. The date of the immigration I have been unable to ascertain, probably some of the family came before the others.
They came from the same section as the Rhodes' families, who lived on the Flesher farm above Ripley.
Samuel Rhodes' wife was one of the Vandyne girls. They married and their oldest son, John W. Rhodes, was about two years old when they came to Mill Creek, or about 1832.
Someone told me that the widow Vandyne's maiden name was Cunningham.
There was a child of John Vandyne buried at the Harpold cemetery in 1845, but the Skidmores were living on the Salt Lick farm until about 1850.
It may be that the family moved to Mill Creek sometime before coming to this farm. The date of this location must have been not far from 1850.
Nancy Vandyne was the mother of the Vandyne family on Mill Creek. Her children were John, Parthenia, Isaiah, Isam, Martha, Lavisa, and Madeline.
John married Jemima Rollins, in the Valley of Virginia probably. He lived on Mill Creek before 1845. John Vandyne served out the term of William Greer, elected Sheriff of Jackson County, in 1860. His wife died in 1850 and he married Elizabeth, daughter of Isaac Casto.
Isaiah Vandyne married Sally Cunningham, and lived in Ripley in 1879. He was a saddler by trade.
Isam Vandyne was Deputy Sheriff.
Lavisa married William Bonnet, Jr.
Parthenia married Samuel Rhodes, she died June 7th, 1884.
Martha married Enoch, son of Jesse Carney.
Madeline married Gilbert ("Bird") Harvey.
Another daughter is said to have married a mane by the name of Unrue.
Watt Rollins said Lige Rollins, Jemima Vandyne, Granny Rollins, "Uncle Jake" and others were buried in the "Young Tom Carney graveyard on hill opposite Skidmore place and ‘said to be plowed up' ".
Top of Page Return to Index Home
The Tolleys came from Rockbridge County in the 30's.
There were two brothers, William and Joseph Tolley, among the pioneers of the middle Mill creek country.
William Tolley (familiarly called "Old Billy") came about 1832, and settled on the creek at the Chase bend, back next the other hill. He built the first house for Jesse Carney on his farm. He leased of Carney, moved to Turkey Camp Flats about 1835, later to Tug Fork, about Staats Mill.
He married Elizabeth (maiden name not learned), and their children were: Jordan, Eliza, Sally and a grandson was Lewis Tolley.
A Tolley had a mill on Spring Creek near Spencer.
Jerry Miller's wife was a Tolley.
Dr. Adams's wife on Sandy was a Tolley.
Martha Tolley married John Litton.
Sam Tolley lived on Laurel Run in 1904, aged eighty three years. He married Letha Duff, thought to be the cousin of Staats wife.
Alfred S. Tolley.
Fanny Tolley married Lem, son of George Thorne.
A Tolley married Isaac Staats (?).
Gran Tolley, who died on Elk, was a cousin of Staats wife.
A Tolley married Jim E. Casto.
There was a Tolley from Rockbridge, whose wife crossed the ocean in seven days and nights. She knit seven pairs of stockings.
O'd Tommy Tolley lived in 1840 with his daughter, Widow Adams, widow of Phil Adams, on the Carder place on Joe's Run.
Top of Page Return to Index Home
A man named Rhodes lived in the pioneer days in Rockbridge County, Virginia, near the Natural Bridge. He was a hunter and Indian fighter. At one time, his stock were all killed or carried off in an Indian raid, and his cabin burned, but the family escaped to the fort. In 1832, six of his sons came to Mill Creek Valley, to the Flesher farm opposite Ripley. Their names were Christopher, Benjamin, Michael, Samuel, Mathias and Peter.
Chris, Sam and Ben were married, and lived at the different improvements on the farm, beginning at the upper end. Mathias was married, but had no children. Mike and Pete never married. The old farm is still in the hands of descendants of the Rhodes family.
Chris Rhodes married Catherine Peters, of Lexington, Virginia. They came from near Natural Bridge to Wood County. Their children were:
Ben Rhodes, married a Bradley.
Peggy Rhodes, married a man named Rhodes.
"Suckey" Rhodes, married Archie Thomas.
Nancy Rhodes, married James Bradley. They had a son, Charles Bradley.
Madeline Rhodes, married Absalom Harpold, son of John Harpold.
Peter Rhodes, married Letha Bord, daughter of George Bord.
Jacob Rhodes, married Linny Rollins, daughter of John Rollins.
Mary Rhodes, married Watson Rollins, son of John Rollins.
Ben Rhodes was twice married, but I did not learn the names of these wives. His children were:
Peter Rhodes, went to California.
Mathias Rhodes, married a Parsons.
Joe Rhodes, lived on the old home farm.
Ben Rhodes, married first Patty Parsons, who died, and he later married Hannah, daughter of John P. Parsons.
John Rhodes, married a Hamilton. He died on Elk Fork in 1910 or 1911, aged eighty four years.
Christopher Rhodes, married first Sarah Bowles, and later Mary Rollins, widow of John Rollins, whose maiden name was Straley.
Mary Ann Rhodes, married a Hammond, and went west.
Jane Rhodes, married a Smith and lived on Kentuck.
Sam Rhodes married a Hammond, and lived on the Flesher farm at Ripley.
D.D. Rhodes, married Prudence V. Casto, daughter of John R. Casto. She was born in 1836, and died in 1907. They had eight children.
Sam Rhodes married Parthena Vandyne. She died about 1884, and he died several years earlier. Both are buried in the Roach graveyard, on Middle Fork of Reedy.
John W. Rhodes was their oldest son. He was born Feb. 2nd, 1831, and died in June, 1902. He married Lucinda Parsons. She was born July 11th, 1832, and died June 1st, 1904.
A family named Rhodes lived on Elk fork. Of these, there were:
Chris Rhodes, born at the mouth of Billy's Run, in 1844. His children:
John W. Rhodes, who married a daughter of Sam Rhodes.
Alex Rhodes had a little water mill at the mouth of Haw Run. He married Malinda Eden.
William Leeper Rhodes. His grandson was Jap Rhodes, of Buffalo.
Archie Thomas, a noted preacher of Mill Creek Valley, also from Rockbridge County, Virginia. He married Betsey Rhodes, a daughter of Chris Rhodes.
Daniel D. Rhodes was born in Warren County, New York, in 1817 and came to Cottageville in 1857. D.W. Rhodes, the miller, was his son. They were not related to the Mill Creek Rhodes.
Top of Page Return to Index Home