Right Fork of Reedy
Its Early Settlers and Their Families

The first house on the Hamric place on the Right Fork of Reedy stood in the field below Helmic's house. Candler says John Seaman built it, "square down from where Hamric lives," and that S.B.Seaman bought the Hamric place.

The first house on the John R. Seaman farm was built by his father, David Seaman, about 1850.

On the Milt Seaman farm, the first settlement was made by "Little Charlie" Stewart early in the Twenties, near the mouth of "Widder's" Run. He was also the first occupant of the first graveyard on Reedy, which is on the point below the little stream just beyond.

There were two cabins on the upper end of this farm, where Milt Seaman formerly lived, one near the mouth of the run, which was occupied by a man named Redman. The other stood across the creek a little below, at the foot of the point which comes down from Dutch Ridge. Willis Burdett lived there.

The flat where Pleasant Grove Church stands was once cleared, and when the church was built in the fall of 1893 the old furrows could still be located through the trees. When cut about 1892, some of the second growth timber showed forty and forty two rings.

Knight's Run, Crookshanks Run or Poplar Fork were first settled by William Crookshanks, who came from Greenbrier County long before the war and bought the land of S.B. Seaman, paying four hundred dollars in gold for it.

Seth Knight came from Monongalia to Calhoun County when Nelson Knight was about three year old. Three years later, they moved to Burning Springs. In 1865 he came to Reedy, to the Crookshank farm. His son in law settled near the big rock below, in 1866.

Top of Page    Return to Index    Home

Davis Family

The first settler at the William Davis place was Joe Miller, who moved there sometime before 1851. He went from there to a house on the Ira Chenoweth farm, on the other branch of the creek, and Samuel Hall bought the land in 1851 and built a hewed log house on the bank above the road. He lived there until after the war. From here he moved to Little Creek. A sketch of the family will be found in the history of Mill Creek Valley.

William Davis came from Harrison County to Roane County after the war.

There were brothers named Davis who came from Europe to America, and lived on the Buckhannon River in Upshur County at an early date. Mrs. Levi Cottrill says they came from Scotland, but Mr. William Davis says they came from Wales, and the name would indicate that they were of English ancestry. Norman - English.

Samuel Davis lived on Rooting Creek in Harrison County. I do not have his wife's name. Of their children, I have:

Joseph Davis married a Lanham, and their children were: Jasper, Bill and Dennis. There were perhaps others.

William Davis married Sarah Lanham. She was a tailor by trade. Their children were:

Daniel R. Davis, bought the Smith farm in 1846 and lived on it.

Lavina Davis married Jasper, son of Ben Riddle.

Lem Davis.

Jesse C. Davis, owned the Tanner land on Wright's run.

Edwin Davis (or Edward) had a store at Reedyville in 1856 or 1857. He, with Jesse and David, moved back to Harrison County. (William lived to be over ninety years old.)

Sarah Davis, daughter of Samuel, married a Lewis; lived on Rooting Creek in Harrison County.

John Davis, son of Samuel, married a Ward, a sister of Aquilla Ward. He lived to be ninety nine. Their children were:

William, lived near Arnoldsburg.

Keziah married Gary McPherson, and lived on Rooting Creek and later came to Big Run and lived on the Clem Davis farm.

Humphrey Davis, son of Samuel, was said to have gone to Kentucky.

George Davis, son of Samuel.

Israel Davis, son of Samuel. Was one of triplets. His mother and two of the children died. The father gave the other baby, Israel, to a wealthy man named Romine, at Romine Mills in Harrison County. Romine was childless and promised to make Israel his heir.

The child grew up without restraint, and developed into a profligate. When twenty one, Romine gave him 100 acres of land, which he soon ran through with. When the Romine died, he became heir to what they had, but soon squandered it and was as poor as before.

He came with his son, William, to Reedy, about 1865, and died where his son now lives, in 1877, and is buried at the Street's graveyard. Israel Davis married Edith Boice, in Harrison County. Their children were: Matilda, William and another daughter, who married Ed Tichnell.

"Sant" Davis married a Mitchell, a daughter of Jesse Mitchell, who moved from Pennsylvania to Harrison County, Virginia. Mrs. Levi Cottrill was their daughter. She tells me her grandfather was John Davis, brother of Edward, William and Israel Davis.

Top of Page    Return to Index    Home

Knight Family

The Knights lived on Poplar Fork or Knight's Run when I knew the place in 1872. Nels. Knight told me that Seth Knight came from Monongalia County to Calhoun County when he was about three years, and moved from there to Two Run in Wirt County, then came to the Crookshank place in 1865.

Jesse Smith, who married Knight's daughter, made the improvement at the mouth of the run, where a man named Jones lived in 1872.

Top of Page    Return to Index    Home

Campbell Family

The first settlement on the head of the creek was made about 1848, by George Campbell, who built a little cabin on the point where Shreve used to live. He built a hewed log house. The farm is now owned by W.E. Staats.

Campbell also built the first house on the Henry Seaman farm, above Duke Station, about 1835. He was a sort of mechanical genius. He built the first cradle ever used on Reedy, and was the first man in the neighborhood to cradle wheat.

He had no sons, there were however several daughters. John Roach was a candidate for the hand of one of them at one time, and A.B. Chancey was beau to one for a time.

Melvina Campbell married a Wolfe.

Nancy Campbell married Elihu Burdett, son of Willis Burdett. They were the parents of George Burdett, who was a shoemaker in Belleville in 1869 and Elihu Burdett had a daughter who married Hoyt Seaman.

Ellen Campbell.

Top of Page    Return to Index    Home

Stalnaker Family

About 1850 John Stalnaker bought the land owned by Campbell. He owned Early Staats farm, the Newhart farm including Thornton Knight's place, and a part of Duke's farm and perhaps more adjoining land. He was a southern sympathizer, and used what means he could to assist the Confederacy during the Civil War. On one foray he was wounded in a brush with some soldiers at Leroy. Being working with a thrashing machine at the time, he gave out that he was hurt on the machine. He later died from the effects of the wound.

John Stalnaker was born in Randolph County, Virginia. He married Susan Chenoweth, who was born in 1812, and had been a school teacher. Stalnaker died March 30, 1862, and Susan died April 7, 1862. There children were: (no names are given)

Top of Page    Return to Index    Home

Hopkins Family

Lawrence (Larry) Hopkins was born in Rhode Island in 1760. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He married Mary Jordan of Pendleton County. Her father, William Jordan, was a Captain in the Continental Army. Larry Hopkins lived on Mill Creek, about 1830. Of their children:

Nancy Hopkins married Elijah Burdett.

Robert Hopkins, born in Pendleton county in 1822, married Martha A. Stalnaker, born in 1834, and a sister of John Stalnaker. He lived on the head of Sandy, and owned the William Burdett and Simon Shimp farms. M.A.C. Hopkins was his son.

Top of Page    Return to Index    Home

Shreve Family

Jesse Shreve came to the Stalnaker place about 1872 or 1873.

An entry in the history of Fayette County marriage licenses is: "December 15, 1853, Jesse W. Shreve to Elizabeth R. Dugan, Samuel S. Honaker."

Two other licenses are: "December 6, 1865, Wiley Walker to Rebecca Taylor, W.P. Walker." "December 7, 1865, James L. Burdette to Elizabeth Hoffman, W.P. Walker."

The last order made by the County Court of Fayette County at a special term held May 20, 1861, provided for the raising, equipping and caring for families of a regiment to defend the State of Virginia. Ten men voted to appropriate $5,000, three to appropriate $3,000, and one refused to vote. One of the three votes was Jesse W. Shreve's.

The large run that comes in at Seamantown, sometimes called Tanyard Run, was in early days known as Road Run up to the forks. Red Lick was the name given to the right branch, from the red clay at the deer lick somewhere on its waters. Later it was known as Cummins Run. Green Run, the left branch, was named Masters Run from Jim Masters, who lived on it awhile.

The first improvement at the place was made by Moses Doolittle, who commenced to build but got scared out when David Seaman had his sick spell on the day of the raising, and never finished the house. Masters afterward made the first improvement at the Ira Chenoweth place at the forks of the creek.

Jim Master married Jane Seaman, John Seaman's oldest daughter, After her death, he next married Ellen Farmer.

Isaac Hornbeck, a resident of Right Reedy, was a native of Barbour County, and was in the Union Army. He married Eleanor Annon, daughter of John Annon, a native of Londonderry. Their children were:

Martha H. married her cousin, George W. Annon.

Lydia married James Harvey.

Sidney married John Reed.

John married Ernestine Redman.

Isabel, Ella and Virginia never married.

Henry Blosser lived near where the railroad crossed the run. His house was a log cabin, about sixteen feet square. Probably it is identical with the Bord house. Later, it was used for Sunday School.

Jesse Knopp lived at the Duke farm about 1835 or maybe later. John Stewart is said to have made the first improvement there. He is said to have sold 100 acres to Willit Seaman, about 1831 or 1832.

Ira Chenoweth came to the forks of the creek in 1854. He was born in Randolph County in 1822, a son of Robert and Edith Skidmore Chenoweth. His wife was Matilda McCoy of Braxton County, a relative of the McCoys of Wolfpen Run. He died in October, 1913, aged eighty six years.

When he came there was a hewed log house built and roofed, but the doors and windows had not been sawed out. It had been built by Jim Masters, who lived on the Duke farm.

The large run which comes in at the Duke's Station was called "Grit Run" because among the cliffs of rocks and gorges back in the high hills was found a rock of suitable "grit" for buhrs for hand mills.

The little run above the "Doc" Bord place was Mill Run, from a little mill building which stood on the banks and in which was kept a hand mill patronized by the neighborhood.

Shop Run at "Doc" Bord's took its name froma a shop near its mouth, while Walnut Run at Charley Goff's was named from about a dozen large walnut trees standing near it, some of them two or three feet in diameter. Peel Tree Run took its name from a lynn tree in a clearing, from which someone stripped the bark as high as it could be reached.

Top of Page    Return to Index    Home