Camelite/Campbellite aka Lindamood Cemetery

Location: On Co Rd 26/2 aka Camelight Ridge, a jeep road about 1/2 mile S of Frozencamp Creek Road, west of Louther.

The first part is from "Some Early City, Village and Country Burying Grounds" by John A House. The next section is transcribed, with permission, from "Jackson County Cemeteries, Vol 1" by the Jackson County Historical Society.


Lindamood Graveyard

On the top of one of the loftiest summits of the high ridge, separating the waters of Elk Fork from Frozen Camp, stands a church house which shows dazzlingly white from the hill tops for miles and miles in every direction.

This building, which is apparently not more than three or four years in existence, may have supplanted an humbler, old fashioned log house, the broken up walls of which are aligned in the grove to serve as seats for outdoor preachings.

There is a magnificent view in all directions from this spot. Blue hills peering over low gaps of successive ranges of ridges until sight fails in the smoky haze of distance.

The building has a square tower with tapering spire, surmounted by an arrow, and faces to the east where a road suns smoothly down a long slope on an easy grade to the public highway.

On the north side is a strip of lawn, some forty feet wide, a part of the graveyard which surrounds the church on two sides, which is cleaned up nicely with a few small saplings left for shade.

In this space there is a grave with a blue marble monument, marked M.V.B. Monroe, born February 2, 1836, died April 20, 1904.

West of the building on a westen slope is nearly a half acre more of the cemetery which has been hacked off a few years ago and is now all grown over with bushes and weeds.

When I visited the spot early in October, 1910, the leaves were beginning to take on the reddish and russety yellow hues of an autumn drought, while, often spots in the brush were waving with the ghosts of yellow golden rod, dotted here and there with the pale blue of the wild aster.

Hidden away, among the riot of nature, I found four or five lowly graves, two of which had unpretentious tombstones. The others being marked only with pieces of flagrock at head and foot.

One of the monuments bore the inscription:

Martha A., daugther of W.A. and N.E. Seaman, died February 17, 1896, aged nine years.

The other was inscribed:

Minnie F., daughter of J.C. and C.A. Medis, born July 27, 1878, died April 14, 1903, aged twenty-four years, eight months. "She faltered by the wayside, and the angels took her home."

Beyond the graveyard, quite a steep path leads down a long point to the road below, which, after winding around the southern base of the knob on which the church stands, is intersected by the road leading down a steep hill to Frozen Camp Creek a half mile below.

The southern slope of the hill is a thick grove of white oak, jack oak, and hickory, next to the church house, trailing away into the straggling scrub wood with which the south and west sides of the hill are clothed.

The congregation worshipping here is of the Christian, or "Campbellite" denomination, and the building is, or was, formerly known as the Lindamood Church, from one of the nearby farmers.


  • Frashier, Edward O.    1916 - 1940
  • Frashier, James H.    1882 - 1955
  • Frashier, Anna M    1880 - 1968
  • Johnson, Elda E.    May 24, 1905 - Dec 1, 1908;    s/o R.M. & A.F Johnson
  • Medis, Minnie F.    June 27, 1878 - April 14, 1903    d/o G.A. Medis
  • Monroe, Martin Van Buren    Feb 2, 1836 - April 20, 1904
  • Monroe, Annie    Dec 9, 1953 - Aug 26, 1914,    wife of M.V.B. Monroe
  • Monroe, Jacob E.    Feb 24, 1850 - Feb 28, 1923
  • Seaman, Martha L.   d. February 17, 1886 aged 9 months 3 days;    d/o Wayne Seaman
  • 3 graves without markers




Return to Cemetery Page with Map            Go to Cemetery Page without Maps
USGenWeb logo

Return to Jackson County WVGenWeb homepage

Les Shockey and Betty Briggs, Co-Coordinators of the Jackson County WVGenWeb page.
Contact us



WVGenWeb logo