Streets Cemetery

Location: on the ridge dividing Little Creek and Buffalo. This would be north of Rt 33 near the Jackson-Roane County line.

Transcription from "Some Early City, Village and Country Burying Grounds" by John A. House

The Streets Graveyard

The dead cannot grieve
Not a sob, not a sigh, greets mine ear,
Which compassion, its self could relieve
Ah! sweetly, they slumber, not love, hope nor fear,
Peace, Peace, is the watch word,
he only one here.
(Author Unknown)

The Streets Graveyard, as it is usually called, is beautifully located on the top of a knoll, which rises from one of the wide flats. So common to the ridge dividing the waters of Little Creek and Buffalo, two of the tributaries of Upper Mill Creek.

The farm on which it is situated was first opened by a man of the name of John Rader, who came there in 1852. He bought a tract of fifteen hundred acres and lived there several years. He divided the most of his land among his boys. Later, he sold the residue to George Street. Since Street's death, the farm has passed into the hands of strangers.

John Rader's Father was a first cousin of Michael Rader Sr.

Old Billy Rader and Adam were brothers of John.

George Rader of the Shenandoah Valley, married Sarah Craig, of the same place and moved to Greenbrier County and later to the mouth of Stroud's Creek.

Their children were, Robert, who lived in Braxton county; George, went to Missouri; William, who was killed on the Big Kanawha. He married the Widow Huddleston, Wash Huddleston's mother.

Adam Rader lived with John H. at Camden on Gauley.

John H. Rader married a McClung. His son, Joe Rader, was the first grave in the graveyard, though there had been three of the Rader grand children buried under a hickory tree which stands in the field, prior to that.

The killing of Joe Rader was a cowardly affair and scarcely justifiable by the utmost stretching of the rules of war.

Like all similar circumstances, there are several different account of the way it was done. The Confederate sympathizers say Rader was a model of innocence. The other side say he was connected with a gang of guerrillas and took care of the horses they confiscated, until they had gathered as many as they wanted to take south, and that he harbored and fed the guerrillas and Confederate soldiers.

There is no doubt, the last count of the indictment is correct.

It was on these charges that he was killed, but one cannot help thinking it would have been more honorable and just as well for the Union cause and withal far less cowardly had he been arrested and sent to Camp Chase.

Joe Rader, at the forks of Buffalo had gone some time in 1863, October or November, to his father's to get a wagon, when some men dressed in Confederate uniforms and calling themselves Jenkinses soldiers, came to the house and called for something to eat. Rader told them where to hide to be safe and had the girls fix up a basket full of "grub" which he took down to the spring over the bank from the house. Meanwhile, the soldiers had posted a part of their number behind an old fence in a thicket on the opposite bank. When Rader put down his basket and turned to climb the bank, just as he was alongside a large rock, still to be seen, the hidden Yankees fired and he fell. The neighbors got him to the house and he died in a day or two.

Harvey Rader says one of his sisters talked "sassy" to the soldiers and defied them to shoot her.

Two of the graves under the tree are Joe Rader's children, and the other, his brother's child.

Before Rader came to this farm, there was a squatter, an eccentric individual by the name of Bill Davis, lived in a shanty near the spring where Joe Rader was killed. The mound where the chimney of his hut stood being still visible. He afterward moved down the creek in a shanty at the lower end of the Morrison farm.

He had a daughter, who died and was buried somewhere in the vicinity. Her name was Sidner Davis, and she had two children. The Davises are said to be part Indian.

Sidner died suddenly, falling off her chair dead, without previous sickness or warning. The story is told that she took to coming back. Her father is said to have seen her several times. She was dressed the same as when she died. One day, while passing through a wheat field along a narrow path, he met her again; she stepped to one side for him to pass, but, determined to know the cause of her returning to earth, he mustered courage enough to ask her what she wanted. She told him she was not able to raise her children, and she wanted them put out in good places. He promised it would be done, whereupon she held out her hand to him and he attempted to shake hands, but two of her fingers striking his wrist left yellow marks on it. The girl then vanished and was never seen again. Next day the children were put out. A man named Waybright raising one of them.

A sister of Joe Rader was the next to be buried in the new graveyard. Others buried here are:

Philip Rohr, who came from Barbour County, settling at the mouth of Poplar Fork of Little Creek in 1860. One of his daughters is buried here.

Isaac Hornbeck, a Union soldier from Wood County, born July 5, 1815, died January 28, 1894, aged seventy nine year six months. He lived in Wood County before the war. His daugthers, Isabel and Virginia died in 1875 and 1882 respectively, aged twenty four years and twenty years.

Israel Davis was the only survivor of a set of triplets. He was born on Rooting Creek in 1800. He had a brother by the name of John Davis, who died in his ninety ninth year. Another brother, William, lived to be ninety and could do a good days work at eighty years.

Israel Davis died in 1877, his wife was Edie Bise, his first cousin. One account says they are Welsh, the other calls them of Scotch origin.

Silas T. Davis was the son of Clement and Betsy Michaels Davis, natives of Delaware. Silas married Ellinor, daughter of Isaac and Rosa Miller Broomedge of Monongalia. He was born in 1816 and died in 1884, living on the extreme head of Buffalo at the time of his death.

George Latimer was the son of George and Jane Nivens Latimer, who was born in Green County, Pennsylvania. He came with his parents to Jackson County in 1838 and to Buffalo in 1844. He married Margaret Seaman and lived on Right Reedy at the Travis Parsons place, afterward moving to Buffalo, he died in 1904. Margaret Latimer died January 10, 1871, aged thirty four years.

Joseph Dunn was a minister in the M.P. Church.

George Street was born January 2, 1816, died January 18, 1875. Catharine Street, his wife, was born July 23, 1817 and died February 23, 1897, aged seventy nine years eight months, (age taken from the headstone). There are several of the Street Family buried here. Among these, John Street, died September 18, 1885, aged forty two years.

James Street, born January 13, 1854, died April 30, 1878.

Mrs. Ollie Street Eagle.

J.B. Smith lived on the Rohr place at the mouth of Poplar Fork at the time of his death, which occurred on the 22nd of April, 1896. He was born March 6, 1837, being fifty-nine years one month of age.

His father was Jacob C. Smith, born in Tyler County, March 26, 1813, and died October 14, 1870.

His mother, Sarah, daughter of Aaron and Susannah Drake Smith of Ritchie County. Jacob Brown Smith's grandparents on the side of his father, J.C.Smith, were Ralph Smith and Catharine George. J.B.Smith married October 31, 1856, Elizabeth Walker, daughter of Macklin and Maria Rader Walker. She was born, probably on Mill Creek, August 3, 1838, and died March 7, 1896. They sleep side by side in the second row on the western side of the graveyard. Maggie Shreve, their youngest daughter born 1873 and died in 1903 is buried near them.

Samuel Hall, born December 7, 1811, died June 18, 1886, aged seventy-four years and six months. His wife, R.S. Hall, born March 3, 1810 and died August 27, 1887, is buried by him. Several of their children and grand children are also buried here.

William Syoc, who died March 9, 1904 aged fifty-nine years eleven months and his wife, Dorcas Hall Syoc, born October 18, 1840 died October 8, 1890.

Margaret Shoemaker Ludwick died January 9, 1877 aged fifty-seven.

William Bise, died May 25, 1875 aged sixy-four years.

Philip Rohr was born March 16, 1808 died May 11, 1874.

Hester A.E. Rohr, born September 28, 1854, died December 13, 1873.

Elizabeth, wife of A.H.Rader, died in 1876, aged thirty-nine.

There are many marble headstones and monuments in the graveyard, whose array of white ranks can be seen from the hill tops for miles around.

Save that it is in the fields quite a distance from the public road and without shade, this burial ground would be one of the best in the country.

Go to Cemetery Page with Map            Go to Cemetery Page without Maps            Go to Cemetery Table Page
USGenWeb logo

Return to Jackson County WVGenWeb homepage

Les Shockey and Betty Briggs, Co-Coordinators of the Jackson County WVGenWeb page.
Contact us

WVGenWeb logo