The County Court of Jackson County

From 1831 until 1863, the County Court was made up of Gentlemen Justices appointed by the Governor. There were too many of them to list in the allotted space until after the Civil War. The first Court in 1831 after the formation of the county comprised the following Justices: John Warth, George Casto Sr., Barnabus Cook, George Stone, Gilbert Boswell, Henry Sherman, Ephraim Evans, Benjamin Wright Jr., John McKown and Tapley Beckwith. From 1866 to 1872, the County Court was the Board of Supervisors. The county was formed into townships, later magisterial districts, with a member elected from each township annually.

In 1872, the Court was again changed to comprise a presiding justice who was elected from the whole county, and two members elected from each Magisterial District -- Mill Creek (Ripley), Washington, Union, Grant and Gilmore (Ravenswood), for four year terms. In 1881, the present system of electing three Commissioners, of whom not more than one could be from any one district, was adopted. One member is elected president by the Court each year, usually the oldest one in length of service, with each member generally serving as president during two years of their six year terms. One commissioner is elected every two years. Current members are elected from three districts, which were organized from the old five district system, in the 1980s, and are called -- Eastern, Northern and Western districts. Present members (1990) are: Emerson S. Snyder, of Northern District; Don Stephens, Western District; and Dick Casto, Eastern District.

From: JACKSON COUNTY PAST AND PRESENT, 1990
Submitted by Delmer R. Hite, transcribed by Toni Rodgers

Return to The History of Jackson County and the County Officials page.
 

USGenWeb logo

Return to Jackson County WVGenWeb homepage

Les Shockey and Betty Briggs, Co-Coordinators of the Jackson County WVGenWeb page.
Contact us

      WVGenWeb logo