1913 Obituaries

Mr. Robert C. WASKEY

Mr. Robert C. WASKEY, died at 8:50 o'clock Thursday morning at his home near Sandyville, of complication of diseases. Mr. WASKEY was a Virginia Confederate veteran and was twice wounded during the war. He settled in Jackson County 32 years ago on a farm on which he owned at the time of his death. He was a highly respected citizen and commanded the confidence and esteem of his neighbors and acquaintances.

Mr. WASKEY was 70 years of age and is survived by his widow and two children, John and Mary, one brother and one sister, Rufus WASKEY and Mrs. Margaret HITE. The funeral will be held from the Independence Church near Crow Summit at 10 o'clock a.m. Friday, July 4, Rev. W. A. HOPSON will officiate. (Mountaineer, 4 July 1913)


Sad indeed and a great shock to the community was the death of Jasper OLDHAM. Funeral services were conducted at Otterbein by Rev. T. H. RYMER. Interment in the STAATS Cemetery at Evans, WV. His aunts Misses Johnie and Pearl LEWIS of Pittsburgh, Pa., were three hours late for the burial. (Mountaineer, 30 June 1913)

Mrs. Margaret VANNOY

Mrs. Margaret VANNOY, widow of Alexander VANNOY, died Wednesday morning at 1:30 o'clock at the home of her son, D. S. VANNOY, on the Inter Urban Line, near the Vitrolite plant. The deceased had been ill for some time with dropsy and other complications which were the cause of her death. She was 74 years of age. The following children survive: Arthur VANNOY of Michigan, Charles VANNOY of Indiana, D. S. VANNOY of Jackson County, Mrs. Anna MCRADY (MCCRADY ?) of Berry County, Ohio, Mrs. Malinda BELL of Duncan, WV., and Mrs. Emily Elizabeth WOODS of Spencer, WV.

Funeral services will be held from the residence of D. S. VANNOY, Thursday morning at 11 o'clock and will be conducted by Rev. J. L. VINSON, pastor of the Liberty Street M. E. Church. The remains will be taken on the 3 o'clock train Thursday afternoon over the O. R. Division to Duncan, WV., the old home of the deceased and interment will be made in the family burying ground there Thursday evening. (Mountaineer, 11 July 1913)

Mrs. Samuel W. KING

Mrs. Samuel W. KING, (Hannah FINNIMORE), 47, of Barboursville, died at 5:30 o'clock last night at the Guthrie Hospital from the effects of thyroidism, superinduced by an operation for gall stones. She is survived by husband and two sons, A. L. KING of Charleston, and Fred M. KING of Huntington, WV. Daughters, Mrs. Earl ADKINS of Richmond, Indiana, Mrs. B. V. DAVIS of Huntington, WV., Katie, Ethel, Geraldine and Thomas, at home.

She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Barboursville, WV. She had moved from Jackson County nine years earlier. In addition to a sister, Mrs. HARTLEY of Jackson County, her father, Thomas FENNIMORE and two half-sisters who live in Missouri. Interment will be made in Barboursville, WV. (Mountaineer, 11 July 1913)

Mrs. Felitha CASTO

Mrs. Felitha CASTO (see 7 Feb 1913 for Nicholas CASTO), widow of the late Nathan CASTO, died at the home of her son, Everett CASTO, near Staats Mills, WV. at 3:30 p.m. Thursday of diseases incident to old age. Mrs. CASTO was a good Christian woman, held in high esteem by her neighbors and acquaintances. She is survived by four sons and three daughters: A. A., W. H., G. N., and Everett CASTO, Mrs. Riley STAATS, Mrs. P. S. CASTO, and Mrs. Okey PARSONS. She was the grandmother of Clerk C. C. STAATS. The funeral service will be held from the Sinaiville Methodist Protestant Church of which she was a member. Interment in the nearby cemetery. (Mountaineer, 18 July 1913)

Charles L. BUXTON

Charles L. BUXTON, Clerk of the Court of Mason County, fell dead from excitement while trying out a new auto today. He and his family suffered a slight accident while in the new machine. [Point Pleasant, WV] (Mountaineer, 25 July 1913)

Dr. Absolom Harpold CASTO

Dr. Absolom Harpold CASTO died at his home at Sandyville at 6 o'clock Thursday evening, July 31, aged 70 years. Funeral services were held at 10 o'clock Saturday morning, Rev. C. C. PERKINS of Ravenswood Methodist Episcopal Church, South, officiating. The remains were interred in the Independence Cemetery.

Dr. CASTO, the son of Levi CASTO, was born on the old homestead on the Charleston Pike. He volunteered in the Confederate Army in 1861 and was a Sergeant in Company G., 17th Virginia Cavalry, commanded by Judge V. S. ARMSTRONG. He was wounded while in camp near Winchester, Virginia, losing one of his limbs. Upon recovery from the wound he entered Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia, he studied medicine with the late Dr. HOYT of Ravenswood, and later entered Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in 1870. He then located at Sandyville and practiced medicine for forty years. His death was due to Bright's Disease and came after many months of suffering.

Dr. CASTO was married twice, his first wife being Miss Frances P. DAWKINS, three children survive this marriage. Mrs. Estella Willia FONTAINE, who resides in Charleston, Mrs. Frances F. BURDETT and Mrs. Gertrude THORNBURG, of Huntington. Dr. CASTO's second wife was Miss Gertrude MCGEE, of Wood County, who survives him. Four brothers, George CASTO of Ravenswood, D. C. CASTO of Parkersburg, and F. A. and C. C. CASTO of Ripley, also survive. Dr. CASTO was a great soldier, a useful citizen and a devoted father and husband. He was held in the highest esteem by the medical profession and was loved by the people with whom he lived and for whom he labored for so many years. (Mountaineer, 8 Aug 1913)


After many weeks of patient suffering, Mrs. Zona (STAATS) RARDON, wife of Mr. E. E. RARDON, a prominent resident of Ravenswood, passed peacefully away at 6 o'clock Saturday evening. Mrs. RARDON had been ill for several weeks with a malady resembling brain fever and her death was not unexpected.

Mrs. RARDON was a pure Christian woman and a member of the Baptist church. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Riley STAATS. She was married when quite young to Frank KNOPP, who lived only a few years. In 1910 she was married to E. E. RARDON, who with one daughter, Edra KNOPP, her parents, four sisters and two brothers survive. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. E. HUTCHINSON and Rev. F. P. MCCLURE at the home at 4 o'clock Sunday afternoon. The remains were interred Monday in the Frozen Camp Cemetery. (Mountaineer, 18 July 1913)


Oma LEE, the ten-month old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jasper LEE, who lived on Eighteen, died Thursday night of cholora infantum. The funeral services were held Saturday at Emma Chapel, Rev. BOGGS officiating. (Mountaineer, 29 Aug 1913)


At 6:15 p.m. Monday evening, Frank M. SHEPARD, 68, a bachelor and Civil War soldier, succumbed to creeping paralysis from which he had suffered for several years. On Wednesday night of last week he was stricken and never regained consciousness. Mr. SHEPARD was born in Wetzel County. He was Corporal of Company H, 1st West Virginia Infantry Regiment and served until the close of the war. He was shot through the neck in the battle of Cedar Creek.

He is survived by two brothers, George and James SHEPARD of Wetzel County, and one sister, Mrs. J. M. BURCH of Trace Fork. A niece, Miss Manda SHEPARD, who has been his housekeeper for 20 years, also survives. Services were conducted at the home by Rev. HOPSON of Sandyville. Interment in the family cemetery. (Mountaineer, 22 Aug 1913)

William ROBBINS, Sr.

William ROBBINS, Sr., of the Medina area, died August 16 and was buried in the Beattysville Cemetery. (Mountaineer, 22 Aug 1913)


Robert MCFARLAND, the ten-months old son of Mr. and Mrs. D. H. MCFARLAND, died at 8 o'clock Saturday morning of cholera infantum. The funeral was held Sunday morning from the home, Rev. RYMER officiating. Interment was in the Pine Hill Cemetery. Mrs. MCFARLAND has been confined to her bed for eight weeks with typhoid fever, and Miss Edna LAUGHLIN is with her. Willard MCFARLAND who also had typhoid was able to be over in town this week. (Mountaineer, 29 Aug 1913)

William Dudley KEENAN

William Dudley KEENAN, the eight year old son of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. KEENAN of Huntington, while playing with some children across the street from his home shortly before noon Wednesday sucked a small wooden whistle, the kind to which small balloons are attached, into his windpipe and strangled to death in a few minutes. Accompanied by the parents, Mrs. H. C. STARCHER, Miss Velma CROW, H. F. PFOST and J. E. KEENAN, who went to Huntington upon receipt of the sad news, and other friends, the remains were brought to Ripley Thursday evening and taken to the home of the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William CROW.

The funeral services will be held at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon from the Epworth Church, Rev. J. L. WEST, the pastor, and Presiding Elder W. L. REID, will officiate. The remains will be interred in Pine Hill Cemetery beside those of the baby sister who died of Bright's Disease only a few weeks ago. (Mountaineer, 29 Aug 1913)


September 1st, 1913, death called from our midst Millie ANDRICK (nee KITTLE), wife of Charles ANDRICK. She leaves besides her husband, father, mother, six brothers and three sisters. (Mountaineer, 19 Sept 1913)

Henry N. STOUT

Henry N. STOUT was born March 2, 1845, and departed this life September 10, 1913. He was married to Loraine E. GRANT, April 30, 1868. To this union was born one daughter, Pernae, who with his wife survive him. In his home life he was kind and affectionate and they feel their loss is irreparable.

Mr. STOUT was born and reared on the old homestead and spent his life there except the three and one half years spent in the Southern Confederacy (Civil War). He was left an orphan at the tender age of three years. He inherited a few acres from his father which by his honesty and thrifty habits he acquired a competence. Henry's big, sympathetic heart went out to all the needy and distressed, and more especially to the orpahned little ones, which he demonstrated by taking into his home two boys which he raised to early manhood.

His last sickness, sympathetic heart trouble caused by cancer of the stomach, was short and severe and when the crisis came he met it with the same cheerful fortitude he had observed all his life. After making arrangements for his body to be clad in the beloved Gray, he quietly folded his hands and smilingly went to sleep. On Thursday morning after a very impressive service by his boyhood friend, Rev. E. D. W. KING, assisted by Rev. SMITH, in the presence of a number of friends, he was laid to rest in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery, by the side of his father and mother. (Mountaineer, 19 Sept 1913)

Ida Virginia MCFARLAND

Ida Virginia MCFARLAND, daughter of Milton and Rosanna LAUGHLIN, was born in Roane County, West Virginia on April 5, 1871 and departed this life September 7, 1913, aged 42 years, 5 months and 2 days. Her death was due to an illness of typhoid fever. She was united in marriage with Mr. David Homer MCFARLAND November 25, 1895, and to them were born eight children, five of whom survive. She leaves beside the bereaved husband and five loved children, her aged father, three sisters, Miss Ella LAUGHLIN, Miss Edna LAUGHLIN, Mrs. D. D. LATTEAM, and one brother, D. M. LAUGHLIN. The funeral services were held at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon from the Baptist Church, Rev. O. F. JACKSON, the pastor, and Rev. HUTCHINSON, from Ravenswood, officiating. Interment in the Pine Hill Cemetery. (Mountaineer, 12 Sept 1913)

Mrs. Florence Nellie (PFOST) WINTER

Mrs. Florence Nellie (PFOST) WINTER, wife of Mr. Grover WINTER, of Fairplain, died at 4 o'clock Sunday afternoon, aged 23 years, 5 months and 22 days). She is survived by her husband, three children, parents, Mr. and Mrs. George PFOST, five sisters and one brother, Mr. P. M. PFOST. The funeral was held Thursday at 3 o'clock, Rev. GAINER officiating. Interment was in Fairview Cemetery. (Mountaineer, 12 Sept 1913)


Mrs. N. H. (PICKENS) STANLEY died at 1 o'clock on Tuesday morning of last week with typhoid fever at her home on Crooked Fork. Decseased was the daughter of Joseph PICKENS, deceased, and was one of the worthy women of the community. She is survived by her husband, four children, two brothers and two sisters. The services were held from the Sand Creek Baptist Church Thursday, Rev. George HARRISON officiating. (Mountaineer, 19 Sept 1913)

Mrs. Victoria C. (SMITH) WOLFE

Mrs. Victoria C. (SMITH) WOLFE, wife of Nehemiah S. WOLFE, passed peacefully away at her home near Given at 8 o'clock Sunday evening. Mrs. WOLFE had been in failing health for several months and her death, due to stomach trouble, though not unexpected was a great shock to her family. The funeral services were held from the home at 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. RYMER officiating. The remains were interred in the family burial ground.

Deceased was 70 years of age and was the daughter of Jacob and Sarah L. SMITH. She is survived by her husband and four sons, A. M., Ed., L. V., and Fred, two daughters, Mrs. L. A. PARSONS of Lone Oak, and Mrs. Alva MOORE of Macon, Georgia. Two brothers, Andrew SMITH of Indiana, and Eugene SMITH of Foster Chapel; three sisters, Mrs. Godfrey FREY of New Sheffield, Pa., Mrs. James BROTHERTON of Lone Oak, and Mrs. Augusta BARNETT, who resides in the West, also survive. (Mountaineer, 19 Sept 1913)

Child of Ervan GRADY

Infant child of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. DUFFIELD

(Danstown, WV) A small child of Ervan GRADY's was buried at Foster Chapel Sunday morning. An infant child of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. DUFFIELD died Sunday morning and was buried Monday at Foster Chapel. (Mountaineer, 26 Sept 1913)

Mrs. Birdie WILLIAMS

For the third time within five months death visited the family of Joseph WILLIAMS and claimed the widowed mother, leaving seven orphaned children. Mr. WILLIAMS, the father, died in May. Mrs. Birdie WILLIAMS died at the home of her father, Mr. Ballard BROWN, at seven o'clock Saturday evening. Her death was due to tuberculosis and she was preceded three weeks by her infant child. Deceased was 36 years of age. The funeral services were held at the Salt Hill Christian Church Sunday afternoon. (Mountaineer, 26 Sept 1913)

Mr. Ira Ward HILL

Mr. Ira Ward HILL, one of the best known and most prosperous merchants of the county, died Tuesday morning at his home at Given after a brief illness with typhoid fever. The funeral services were held from the Pleasant Valley Church Wednesday afternoon and were attended by an immense crowd of relatives and friends. Rev. T. O. POWERS of the Baptist Church officiated.

Mr. HILL was in the prime of life, 37 years of age, and his death is a shock and great loss to the community. He had been married fifteen years and is survived by the widow, three daughters and two sons, three brothers, Charles, Oscar and Frank HILL, and two sisters, Mrs. Will (Dora BELL) CASTO, and Mrs. Wooster Beecher (Flora May) STALNAKER. (Mountaineer, 26 Sept 1913)

Jefferson SIMMONS

Jefferson SIMMONS, one of the prominent citizens of Roane County, an old Confederate veteran and one of the most noted characters in this section of the state, was laid to rest Monday in the cemetery near his home in Roane County. He was found dead in bed at his home Sunday morning. (Mountaineer, 3 Oct 1913)

Mrs. Jeremiah (MURPHY) ARCHER

Mrs. Jeremiah (MURPHY) ARCHER, wife of J. C. ARCHER, of Ravenswood Route 1, was born at Duffy, Lewis County. Her father, Mr. James MURPHY, sold his property there and with his family started to Tennessee to join his brother. He got as far as Reedy, Roane County, when he discovered he had forgotten something. Here he left his family and started back to Lewis County. At Stumptown, he was enticed into a schoolhouse, robbed and murdered, leaving his family among strangers and in almost destitute circumstances.

Ira CHENOWETH, a noble citizen of Roane County, looked after the family and found homes for the children, taking Mrs. ARCHER, who was then five years of age, to his home where she remained until the 7th day of July 1888, when she was united in marriage to J. C. ARCHER. She was a good wife and loving mother, kind mother to nine children, who with her husband survive.

She was a member of the Methodist Church until the family moved to Hemlock where she united with the U. B. Church. Her death occurred Friday evening, September 26, 1913, and was due to typhoid fever. Funeral services were held at 10 o'clock Sunday morning, Rev. George HARRISON officiating. Interment was made in the Baptist Church cemetery on Crooked Fork. (Mountaineer, 3 Oct 1913)


Mr. J. H. BROWN, aged 65, one of the best known and most popular citizens of Ravenswood, died suddenly at 5 o'clock Wednesday morning of heart failure. He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Charles WATTS and Mrs. W. A. HARPOLD of Ravenswood, and another who lives in Wisconsin. (Mountaineer, 3 Oct 1913)

Milligan HUPP

Milligan HUPP died Sunday at his home near Wilding. Mr. HUPP was a native of Ohio and moved to West Virginia 30 years ago. He was 60 years of age and is survived by seven children. (Mountaineer, 3 Oct 1913)

George Knight ANDERSON

George Knight ANDERSON, age 27, died at Ravenswood on Tuesday of last week of tuberculosis. He is survived by father, mother, two brothers, "Teddy" of Chicago, Illinois, and Garnet, at home. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. JAMISON Thursday afternoon. (Mountaineer, 3 Oct 1913)


The sudden death of Mr. McGary ARCHER, of Red Knob, which occurred at 11 o'clock last Saturday night and was caused by heart trouble superinduced by neuralgia of the stomach was a dreadful shock to his friends. He had been sick for only a week and his death was unexpected, and was probably hastened by grief for his wife who died about two years ago.

Mr. ARCHER was one of the best known citizens of that part of the county. He was honest and industrious and a faithful member of the church. He is survived by six children, W. H. ARCHER, Miss Bertha ARCHER, Mrs. Florence WINTER, McKinley, Clarence and Guy ARCHER. Interment was made in the HALBERT Cemetery on Elk Fork. (Mountaineer, 3 Oct 1913)

Aunt Katie CASTO

Aunt Katie CASTO, the oldest person in the county, and perhaps the state, died on September 26, 1913, after a brief illness. She was 106 years old. She was able to do her own housework until a few days of her death when she was stricken with paralysis. She was the second wife of Benny CASTO, deceased. The remains were interred at Foster Chapel, Rev. MOWYER having charge of the service. (Mountaineer, 10 Oct 1913)

Isaiah Franklin VAIL

Isaiah Franklin VAIL succumbed to Bright's disease at 8:30 o'clock Wednesday morning. Mr. VAIL was 52 years of age and except for a few years spent in the West, a life long citizen of Ripley. He followed the blacksmith's trade until a year ago when his health failed. He was a hard working man and one of the best mechanics in the county.

He is survived by his widow, two sons and three daughters: Roy and W. W. VAIL, Miss Ruby VAIL, Mrs. Irene LINVILLE and Miss Hallie VAIL. Two brothers, J. R. VAIL, of this city, and J. T. VAIL of St. Joseph, Missouri, and two sisters, Mrs. W. W. KIDD of Ripley, Mrs. Mary E. BOUNDS of Newark, Ohio also survive. The funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon at the U.B. Church, Rev. WEBSTER officiating. Interment in the Pine Hill Cemetery. (Mountaineer, 10 Oct 1913)


Mrs. Demma (PARSONS) RHODES, widow of the late John RHODES, who moved from this place to Huntington a few years ago, died of blood poison at 1 o'clock last Friday morning. Mrs. RHODES was a woman of highest character and a faithful member of the United Brethren Church. She is survived by one daughter, Miss Blanche RHODES, her father, Mr. Hiram PARSONS, three brothers and one sister. The remains were brought to the home of Walter WINDLE Friday evening. The funeral services were held at Oak Hill Saturday, Rev. J. W. MARTIN officiating. (Mountaineer, 10 Oct 1913)


Elec WEST, 83, of Staats Mills, died last Friday with tuberculosis of the bowels. He is survived by one son, George WEST, and one daughter, Mrs. Isaac CASTO. The funeral services were held from the home of his daughter on Saturday. Interment was in the CASTO Cemetery at Staats Mills. (Mountaineer, 17 Oct 1913)


Just as the chill of autumn silently crept over the hills and through the valleys, the chill of death crept noiselessly into the home of William MCPHERSON and laid icy hands on the frail form of the husband and bade him leave his earthly burden and go from whence no man returns.

William MCPHERSON, son of Burton and Elizabeth MCPHERSON, was born in Pike County, Kentucky, January 15, 1879, died of typhoid-malaria, October 21, 1913. On October 27, 1905, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Kerns, who with four children survive. Mr. MCPHERSON was a devoted husband and father, a Christian gentleman and a member of the Episcopal church, respected by his associates for his manly ways in his daily walk through life.

He is survived also by three brothers, John, Anderson, and Irvin MCPHERSON, and one sister, Mrs. Lizzie RICHARD. The funeral services were held at the Liverpool Church, Rev. D. B. WARREN, assisted by Rev. MCCARY, officiating. The pall bearers were Messrs: K. C. HUTCHINSON, Cliff COOPER, Clyde F. BARTLETT, Jas. COOPER, Albert DAVIS, and D. M. SILKETT, who bore the remains to their last resting place; followed by a throng of sorrowing relatives and friends. (Mountaineer, 31 Oct 1913)


Frank SEYLER, son of Mr. and Mrs. William SEYLER, died last Friday morning at the home of his parents on Mt. Olive Ridge of tuberculosis superinduced by measles settling on the lungs. He was about 21 years old, unmarried, and is survived by his parents and several brothers and sisters. Interment was made at Mt. Calvary Saturday. (Mountaineer, 31 Oct 1913)

William SLAVEN

William SLAVEN died Thursday, November 6th, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George KIGER, on Little Sandy, Mr. William SLAVEN, one of the early settlers of the county, passed peacefully away, aged 85 years. Mr. SLAVEN was a member of one of the oldest families and held a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens. He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. George KIGER, Mrs. Alice MCKOWAN, and Mrs. Frankie MCKOWAN. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. RICHWOOD on last Friday. (Mountaineer, 14 Nov 1913)

Mr. Charles LISEZ

On Tuesday afternoon, Mr. Charles LISEZ died very unexpectedly at his home in Ravenswood. He had been in failing health for several months, and his throat suddenly ceased to act properly, causing his death in a short time. Mr. LISEZ was a striking character and unique in his style. He was a man of high honor, honorable in his dealings, thrifty to an unusual extent and possessed of considerable wealth.

He was of French descent, born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on April 17, 1838. Sixty years ago he came to Jackson County and was a merchant and postmaster at Wiseburg. He has lived in Ravenswood seven years. His widow is the only near relative surviving him. She was Miss Julia A. HAYMOND, of Fairmont, whom he married in 1879. The burial will occur Thursday, Rev. C. C. PERKINS and Rev. Guy H. CROOK conducting the service at the residence. (Mountaineer, 21 Nov 1913)

Mrs. Margaret FERGUSON

Mrs. Margaret FERGUSON, wife of Willie FERGUSON, formerly a resident of this county but lately at Columbus, Ohio, died there on Thursday of last week of dropsy of the heart from which she had suffered several months. Mrs. FERGUSON was the adopted daughter of the late G. W. FERGUSON and a most estimable woman. She was 46 years of age and is survived by her husband and six children. The remains were brought back to her home for burial and were interred at New Interest (Martin Chapel) Sunday, Rev. J. A. BLAGG officiating. (Mountaineer, 21 Nov 1913)


Thomas K. WILLIAMS died Saturday night at his home near Liverpool of tuberculosis. He was a son of the late Rev. J. L. WILLIAMS. The funeral services were held Monday. Besides his widow and one daughter by a former marriage, the following brothers and sisters survive: C. O. and Aden WILLIAMS of Parkerburg, Tilden WILLIAMS of Liverpool, William WILLIAMS of Evans, Mrs. J. B. KAY of Danstown, and Mrs. Julia BARR of Parkersburg. (Mountaineer, 28 Nov 1913)


A shotgun, in the hands of Mrs. Ola FISHER, was accidentlly discharged, instantly killing Roseburg MERRICAL, 20, unmarried, at her home seven miles south of here Sunday night. MERRICAL attended church at Sinaiville that evening and in company with Miss KELLY, who makes her home with the FISHER woman, and his cousin, Roy MERRICAL, went to the FISHER home. The three were seated around the fire in the sitting room when Mrs. FISHER stepped into the adjoining room to make a bed upon which the gun was lying. A moment later the report rang out and MERRICAL fell across the feet of his cousin with a horrible wound in the left side of his head. The jugular vein was severed causing instantaneous death.

After placing the young man on a couch, Dr. George SIMMONS was summoned. Coroner BOGGESS was notified early Monday morning and made an examination, exonerating the woman. The two women live alone. Before starting to church, Miss KELLY loaded the gun and with the hammer back left it on the bed. Mrs. FISHER picked it up and turned to place it in the corner when it was discharged. The remains of the young man were interred in the Grass Lick Cemetery Monday evening in the presence of a large crowd. (Mountaineer, 28 Nov 1913)


Mrs. Mary Ann (LEONARD) RHODES, widow of Daniel RHODES, was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, September 22, 1825, departed this life at her home in Cottageville, West Virginia, November 30, 1913, aged 88 years, 2 months and 8 days. She was united in marriage to Daniel D. RHODES, February 18, 1844. To this union were born six children, three dying in childhood. The surviving children are, Daniel W. RHODES, Mrs. H. C. FLEMING, and Mrs. B. E. HARRISON. She removed with her husband and family from Portsmouth to Cottageville April 1st, 1858, where she continued to live until her death. (Mountaineer, 5 Dec 1913)


Attorney E. L. STONE received a message announcing the sudden death of his sister, Mrs. Emma (STONE) MILLER, wife of Frank MILLER, which occurred at 4 o'clock this morning at her home on Evans, Route 1. Funeral services to be held at 10 o'clock Saturday at the Creston Church in Mason County. (Mountaineer, 5 Dec 1913)

Flora Nell CHASE

At 4 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Flora Nell CHASE, the beautiful little daughter and only child of Mr. and Mrs. George CHASE, passed into eternity. The death of this sweet little girl was a great shock to her relatives and friends, and all sympathize with the bereft parents. Her death was due to enlargment of the heart and followed months of patient suffering and every effort had been made to restore her health. She was ten years, 2 months and 27 days of age.

The funeral services were held at the Epworth Church at 10 o'clock Thursday morning, Rev. J. L. WEST officiating, in the presence of a large crowd. The Juvenile Missionary Society of which she was a member attended in a body and tendered a beautiful floral tribute. The pallbearers were Orville STONE, Marion PFOST, Walker WRIGHT and Earl WRIGHT. The remains were interred in Pine Hill. (Mountaineer, 5 Dec 1913)


Samuel D. DUDGEON, who resided near the Sidneyville School house, fell from a chair in which he was sitting and expired in five minutes at 11 o'clock Monday morning. Mr. DUDGEON was never a strong man but his health during the past few months was apparently improved. He did the feeding and other chores about his farm Monday morning and had just sharpened his axe with the intention of cutting some wood when death overtook him. Mrs. DUDGEON was in another room and heard him fall, but supposed he was playing with the two children who were in the room at the time. Entering, she was horrified to find her husband prostrate on the floor breathing his last. He expired without speaking a word.

His death was due to heart failure and is a great shock to his family and friends. Deceased was an honest, conscientious man, held in high esteem by his neighbors and acquaintances. Mr. DUDGEON was 47 years of age and had been married about twenty years (married 4 June 1893). He is survived by his widow, Lillie COMBS DUDGEON, and eight children, the youngest of whom is four years of age, three brothers, Guy DUDGEON, who lives nearby, Charles DUDGEON of Huntington, Gale DUDGEON, assistant postmaster at Williamson, and one sister, Mrs. E. L. JONES of Newell, all of whom attended the funeral which was held from the home at 1 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, Rev. T. H. RYMER officiating. Interment was made in the BOICE Cemetery. (Mountaineer, 12 Dec 1913)

Cumberland Milton WOODFELL

Cumberland Milton WOODFELL succumbed at 4 o'clock Saturday morning to injuries received last July when he fell from a tree at his home about two miles east of the Staats Mills post office. Mr. WOODFELL's spine was injured causing paralysis of the lower limbs. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital at Baltimore where an operation was performed in an effort to save his life. He was 40 years of age and is survived by his widow and four children. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. NAPIER of the United Brethren Church at Mt. Carmel Monday. The remains were interred in the WOODFELL family burial grounds. (Mountaineer, 19 Dec 1913)

Transcribed from microfilm by Betty Kessel McIntyre

Return to Obits Index

USGenWeb logo

Return to Jackson County WVGenWeb homepage

Les Shockey and Betty Briggs, Co-Coordinators of the Jackson County WVGenWeb page.
Contact us

      WVGenWeb logo