December 1941 Obituaries

Frank BEAN

       Frank BEAN, 25 year old gas field worker of Sissonville, died at five o'clock Monday morning in the Mountain State hospital at Charleston as a result of fatal injuries suffered late Sunday night when an automobile in which he and four other persons were riding crashed head-on into a heavy concrete pylon containing the blinking signal on Kanawha Boulevard at Delaware Avenue, Charleston.

       The victim, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John BEAN of Sissonville, received a broken jaw, a fractured skull and other injuries. Others injured in the crash were, Miss Mabel CLENDENIN of Sissonville, who was still unconscious at the hospital Monday with a head injury; Obedia JONES, 35, of Charleston, and Donald Shirkey SHAMBLIN, 30, of Charleston, both with badly fractured legs and other injuries, and Miss Dixie JONES of Sissonville, who is in the Staats hospital with serious back injuries. Charleston police who investigated the fatal crash said that SHAMBLIN was driving the car when it crashed into the pylon. The victims of the accident were taken to the hospital by ambulances and Charleston mortuaries which were summoned to the scene.

       Funeral services for the victim of the accident, who was an employee of the Godfrey L. Cabot company, were held at one o'clock on Wednesday afternoon at the Sissonville home with the Rev. J. C. FISHER officiating. Burial was in the family cemetery there with Noble Long mortuary in charge.

       Besides the parents, Mr. BEAN is survived by eight brothers, Senate and Kenneth of Charleston, and Black, Fred, John, Jr., James, Joe and Jack, all of Sissonville, and four sisters, Mrs. Archie WHITE, of Sissonville, Mrs. Homer FISHER, of Silverton, and Misses Lucille and Jean BEAN at home. (Friday, 19 December 1941)


       Peggy Joyce BROTHERTON, the infant daughter of Robert and Virginia BROTHERTON, departed this life at the St. Joseph Hospital where she had been a patient for eleven days, at the age of three months and fifteen days. She leaves to mourn their loss, her father and mother, both her grandparents and a host of relatives. Peggy's short stay here was mostly spent at the home of her grandparents, and her sweet smile will be sadly missed by all who had the privilege of knowing her. (19 Dec 1941)


       Funeral services for Dan U. BUMGARDNER, 75, were held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. J. W. GARRISON in charge and interment was in the Good cemetery. Mr. BUMGARDNER died at his home on Middle Fork Sataurday morning after a long illness.

       Mr. BUMGARDNER is survived by his widow, Mrs. Ella GOOD BUMGARDNER; three daughters, Miss Gertie BUMGARDNER at home; Mrs. Thomas DURST of Charleston, and Mrs. C. O. SLATER, of Sissonville; one son, E. L. BUMGARDNER of Sissonville; a sister, Mrs. Harriett BOGGESS, of Charleston; a brother, James BUMGARDNER, of Seattle, Washington, and five grandchildren. (Friday, 12 December 1941)

George P. CHASE

       George P. CHASE, 66 year old resident of this place, died Monday night after a brief illness. Mr. CHASE had resided at the Commercial hotel for the past fifteen years. Taken suddenly ill shortly after noon Sunday, Mr. CHASE's condition became rapidly worse and he was placed in the care of a physician but failed to rally. Funeral arrangements which are in charge of the Vail Funeral Home had not been completed. (Friday, 19 December 1941)

Warren Gamaliel COSSIN

       In memory of my nephew, Warren Gamaliel COSSIN: December 24, 1940. Written by his aunt, L. D. SAYRE. (Friday, 26 Dec 1941)


       Rev. A. J. FRANK officiated Friday afternoon at funeral rites for C. D. CUNNINGHAM, of Charleston, who was found dead of a heart ailment at his home in that city on Wednesday. Burial followed in the Fairplain cemetery. Pallbearers were to be Lonnie ADKINS, Carl BAKER, Ernest LEE, Oval FISHER, Richard HARKINS, Arlie FREDERICK, Orket LUCAS and Robert FORE. Employees of the Cunnignham Dry Cleaning company operated by his brothers, O. B. and W. W. CUNNINGHAM, were flower bearers. (Friday, 12 December 1941)

Susie Manda (MOSS) DYE

       Susie Manda (MOSS) DYE, aged 36, died in childbirth Wednesday at her home near Sandyville. She is survived by her husband, Denzil DYE, three sons, Paul, Theria and infant son yet un-named, and four daughters , Audra, Iris, Delores and Mary Luella, all at home.

       Also surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. James MOSS of Reedy, four brothers, Cecil MOSS, of Tariff; Virgil MOSS, of Newton; John MOSS, of Charleston; and Rondel MOSS, of Reedy; four sisters, Mrs. Fae HUNT, of Newton; Mrs. Frankie ALLEN, Mrs. Gertrude RONSEN and Miss Imogene MOSS, all of Charleston and Miss Millicent MOSS, of Reedy. Funeral services were held Sunday morning at ten o'clock from the Left Hand Methodist church, with Rev. E. H. LAFON officiating and burial was in the Clover cemetery. (19 Dec 1941)

Samantha FIELDS

       Mrs. Samantha FIELDS, 82 years old, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Maude CASTO, at Belgrove Saturday. Services were held Monday at the Mt. Hermon church. (Friday, 26 December 1941)


       Brown GIBSON, 28 year old convict of Sissonville, who was accused of killing the son of the state prison warden in an attempt to shoot his way to freedom when he, along with a number of other prisoners, were being returned to Moundsville last week, hanged himself at his cell in the prison Monday afternoon.

       He had been in solitary confinment since the slaying on December 4, prison officials said and under state law the death sentence is mandatory for a prisoner convicted of killing a guard. GIBSON was sentenced from one to fifteen years in the state prison last summer for breaking and entering. He escaped last August and made his way to his Sissonville home and held up a motorist near the Jackson-Kanawha line and forced him to drive him to Sissonville. For several weeks he roamed the hills of that section, forcing residents at the point of a gun to give him food but after several weeks was captured by officers and was being returned to the prison when he shot young Phillip KETCHUM, the son of the warden, who was driving the prison bus.

       At the time of the shooting GIBSON grabbed the gun of the guard, Orville METZ, and fired on KETCHUM, the driver, and also METZ. KETCHUM was killed and METZ was seriously wounded before other prisoners overpowered him and took the gun from him and kept him on the bus until State Trooper Everett OLDHAM arrived on the scene and took them to Moundsville and the state prison. (19 Dec 1941)


       Funeral services for Glen HALL, lifelong resident of Ripley, who died Friday evening in a local hospital after a long illness, were held at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon from the Vail Funeral Home. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. John T. LOUDIN, pastor of the Epworth Methodist church. Interment was made in the Pine Hill cemetery with the Vail mortuary in charge.

       Mr. HALL was born in Jackson County and resided here all his life. Surviving are two brothers, Vail and Don HALL, of Ripley; five sisters, Iona HALL, Mrs. Earl ENOCHS, Hazel HALL, and Mrs. Ella HARPOLD, all of Ripley, and Mrs. Martha MADDOX of Charleston. (Friday, 26 December 1941)


       Funeral services for Mrs. Hattie HARMON, 34 year old Frozen Camp resident, who died Friday in a Spencer hospital following a short illness, were held Sunday afternoon at the Mt. Hope church with Rev. Ike HINZMAN officiating. Interment was in the cemetery there with the J. B. Vail undertaking establishment in charge. Mrs. HARMON was a daughter of George and Annie PYATT SNYDER. Besides her husband, Charles Ernest HARMON, she is survived by several small children. (Friday, 12 December 1941)


       Mystery surrounds the death of Guy HOLCOMB, 36 year old Columbus, Ohio, man who was found dead in his automobile last Saturday night, three months after the shooting of his wife, the former Hazel LANDFRIED of Kenna, of which he was accused. The former Jackson County woman died on September 13 from the fatal bullet wound which HOLCOMB had declared was self inflicted at the height of an argument at their home over "his drinking."

       HOLCOMB, an auditor for the Ohio Fuel Company, had admitted that he had hold of the pistol when it was discharged, but declared that he had been trying to wrest the weapon from her when it accidently discharged. He was held for second degree murder by the Columbus police. According to word received here, the Columbus man had stopped at a grocery store and was waiting for his mother who had gone into the store to do some shopping. When she returned to the car, her son was dead. There was no inkling to the cause of his death. The results of the coroner's investigation has not been learned. (Friday, 12 December 1941)

George Hollie HOSCHAR

Arthur Edward HOSCHAR


Marie HUNT

       The bodies of three men and two women were found in a tourist cabin at Kanauga, Ohio, just across the Ohio River from Point Pleasant Monday morning and it was reported that the five had been asphyxiated by gas escaping from a small stove. The dead were identified as George Hollie HOSCHAR, 29; his brother, Arthur Edward HOSCHAR, 25; Homer ROUSH, 20; a brother-in-law of the HOSCHARs, Mrs. Marie HUNT, 20, of Parkersburg, and the mother of two small children, and the other woman was not identified.

       The cabin was rented about four o'clock Sunday morning and the bodies were discovered about seven o'clock Sunday evening. The coroner said that it was his opinion that the five died soon after they entered the cabin. (Friday, 26 December 1941)

Jacob Kenna JONES

       Jacob Kenna JONES, 59, died on Friday afternoon at the home of his mother, Mrs. Sarah E. JONES at Ravenswood. Services were held at the home at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon with the Rev. E. S. HIGGINBOTHAM officiating and burial was in the Ravenswood cemetery. The Mays mortuary had charge of the arrangements.

       Surviving in addition to the mother are a sister, Mrs. C. W. WILDMAN and four brothers, W. R., Hoy and Howard JONES, all of Ravenswood, and Homer JONES, of Chicago. (Friday, 12 December 1941)


       Funeral services for Grant RIGGS, 61 year old resident of Sandyville, who died Sunday morning in the Camden - Clark Memorial hospital at Parkersburg, were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Drift Run church with Lawrence FORD the undertaker in charge. Mr. RIGGS became suddenly ill at his home last Saturday and was removed to the hospital, death occured at 3:15 o'clock Sunday morning.

       Besides the wife, Mrs. Maggie RIGGS, he is survived by the following children. Mrs. Josephine JOHNSON, of Flemington, Harry RIGGS, of Dawmont, WV., Frances RIGGS, of Mason City, and Arless Carl and Glen RIGGS, all of Sandyville. Four brothers, Alva, Ross, Charley and Frank RIGGS, all of Sandyville, also survive. (Friday, 12 December 1941)

Ulysses Simson Grant RIGGS

       Ulysses Simson Grant RIGGS, son of James Jacob and Margaret JOBES RIGGS, was born in Greene County, Pa., October 15, 1881. He passed away on Sunday December 7, 1941, at the City hospital in Parkersburg, WV, aged 60 years, one month and 22 days. His parents moved from Pennsylvania to Wetzel County, WV, during his early years, and it was on the farm in Wetzel county that he grew to manhood.

       He was united in marriage to Maggie ESTEP, May 31, 1902 at Fairmont, WV. Unto them were born the following children: Joe RIGGS, who died in infancy; Mrs. Josephine JOHNSON, of Simpson, WV.; Harry E. RIGGS, of Dawmont, WV.; Francis F. RIGGS, of Mason City, WV.; Opal Lee RIGGS, who died in 1924; Arliss D. RIGGS and Carl RIGGS, of Sandyville, WV., and Glenn at home with his mother. Besides his companion and children he is survived by the following brothers, Albert B. RIGGS, of Pine Grove, WV.; Frank, Roscoe, Charles and Alvy of Sandyville. One sister and three brothers preceded him in death. Nineteen grandchildren also survive.

       He lived in Marion County for some time, then moved to Pine Grove, where he lived for a few years. From there the family came to Jackson County, where he has lived for more than thirty years. Being the son of sturdy parents he grew up to be a strong, hard-working man and has worked in the mines, in the gas fields and on the farm. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. George F. CALTRIDER, at Drift Run, Tuesday, December 9. (1941) (Friday, 19 December 1941)

Carl Edward SINNETT

       Carl Edward SINNETT, infant son of Carl Edward and Violet A. SINNETT, died Saturday night at 11:30 o'clock, He was born November 8, 1941, at Murraysville, WV., Route 1, aged ten and one half hours old. He leaves his parents, Carl E. and Violet A. SINNETT, and his grandparents, George and Sarah SINNETT and Dora RAWSON. He was laid to rest in the Murraysville cemetery. (Friday, 26 Dec 1941)

Goldie Ileen SMITH

       Goldie Ileen SMITH, 14 years old, was drowned in the waters of Mill Creek at the Rush Run trestle near Cottageville about one-thirty o'clock Friday afternoon and the body was recovered about three hours later. Her brother, Bernard SMITH, was rescued from the stream by the father, Clair SMITH, and was revived.

       The father and the son struggled in the stream and for a time the father believed that he could save both the children but lost Goldie Ileen in the twelve feet of water and he was almost exhausted after he had brought Bernard to the shore and volunteer searchers took over the search, and brought out the little girl's body some time later.

       In an interview with the Herald representative, the father said that he and the two children had gone out in a boat to set muskrat traps in the hope that they could by catching a few of the animals provide the children with some money for Christmas. The boat hit a snag when it was in about twelve feet of water and a hole was torn in the bottom of the boat and it sank rapidly. All three were thrown into the stream and all were heavily clothed which hampered his rescue efforts.

       The little girl's body was recovered by Carl BENNETT of Cottageville and others engaged in the search at the time including employees of the government locks at Millwood who came to the scene to render what assistance they could. The tragedy occured within a half mile of the children's home and was a shock to the community and to the friends and acquaintances of Goldie Illeen in the community.

       The deceased is survived by the father, Clair SMITH, of Cottageville, the mother, Mrs. Homer STONE, also of Cottageville. One brother, Bernard SMITH at home and Mr. and Mrs. Frederick BACHUS, of Racine, Ohio, maternal grandparents, and Mrs. Cora SMITH, of Cottageville, paternal grandmother. Funeral services were held at the STONE home Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. Roy DAVIS of the Cottageville United Brethren church officiating and the Vail mortuary of Ripley in charge of the arrangements and burial was in the Douglas cemetery at Ripley Landing. (Friday, 12 Dec 1941)

Delores Jean SNYDER

       Delores Jean SNYDER, infant daughter of Walton and Bridget SNYDER, was born July 30, 1941, and departed this life December 3, 1941, aged four months and three days. She leaves to mourn their loss, her mother and father and one brother and a host of other relatives. (19 Dec 1941)


       William STEWART, about 19 years old and a son of W. W. STEWART, of Dunbar, was killed there Monday afternoon about three o'clock in a motorcycle crash. The funeral services are to be held at the home Wednesday afternoon. The wife, and parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. W. STEWART; an aunt, Mrs. Otho HARRISON,of Ripley, and an uncle, Greg STEWART, of Ripley, are among the suvivors. (Friday, 19 December 1941)

Childs Terrill "Cap" WILSON

       Childs Terrill "Cap" WILSON, 84 year old resident of Evans, (WV) died at four o'clock Wednesday morning at his home after a long illness. Mr. WILSON's health had been failing since last summer and his condition had been serious for some time.

       Mr. WILSON, who for many years was known as the tallest man in Jackson County, being six feet and four inches in height and was widely known in this section as a fruit tree salesman. Many of the orchards in the county at the present time were said to have been brought here many years ago as nursery stock by Mr. WILSON.

       Besides his wife, Mrs. Alice ROBEY WILSON, he is survived by two sons, William WILSON of Parkersburg, and Howard WILSON of Evans, WV., and three daughters, Mrs. Nellie BOBENET of Logan; Mrs. Cordie HALL of Mt. Alto, (WV), and Mrs. Artie SHINN of Evans, (WV).

       Childs Terrill WILSON, son of Sydnor B. and Harriett (CHILDS) WILSON, was born near Ripley, WV., July 18, 1859. Departed this life December 17, 1941, aged 82 years, 4 months and 2 days. He was united in marriage to Miss Alice ROBEY in 1894. To this union six children were born, three boys and three girls. One son died in infancy. Father WILSON was the only survivor of his father's immediate family.

       He leaves to mourn his departure his widow and the following children: Mrs. E. M. ROBINETTE, of Logan, WV.; Mrs. H. C. HALL, of Mt. Alto, WV.; Mrs. Paul SHINN, of Evans, WV.; Howard WILSON, at home; and W. J. WILSON, of Parkersburg, WV. Nine grandchildren and a host of neighbors and friends. Funeral services were conducted at the Otterbein U. B. church Friday, December 19, 1941 at 2 o'clock. The Rev. Roy DAVIS, of Cottageville, WV., pastor of the church was in charge, assisted by Rev. BOWMAN, of Logan Tabernacle, WV. Interment was made in the Otterbein cemetery by J. B. VAIL, undertaker. (26 Dec 1941)


       Henry CARNEY, reported by the Navy department to have been killed in the Pearl Harbor attack, is still fighting the Japs and enjoying the scrap. (Note item in December 1941 Herald issue. BKM) (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)


       A joint funeral service was held in Ravenswood on Friday, December 26 for H. E. HARPOLD, well known hardware dealer of that city, and his wife, Mrs. Fanny HARPOLD, both of whom died in a Wheeling hospital earlier in the week.

       Mrs. HARPOLD's death occured about twenty-four hours before the husband. Mrs. HARPOLD had been a patient in the hospital for some time suffering from a heart ailment and on the Sunday prior to his death, Mr. HARPOLD was stricken suddenly with a cerebral hemmorhage while visiting at the hospital and never rallied. Worry over his wife's condition was believed by friends to have brought on the fatal attack.

       The double funeral service was held in the home with Rt. Rev. R. E. L. STRIDER, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia, in charge, and burial was in the Ravenswood cemetery.

       Mr. HARPOLD was one of the county's outstanding and widely known business men and was the last of three brothers who had conducted the well known firm of HARPOLD Brothers in Ravenswood for many years. One of the brothers, Frank, was killed when hit by a train at Ravenswood a number of years ago and the other brother, William, died about seven years ago. Prior to entering the hardware business the deceased had been employed by the Baltimore and Ohio railroad company.

       Both Mr. and Mrs. HARPOLD were members of the Ravenswood Episcopal church and were active in community affairs and their deaths were a shock to the community and to the people where they had lived and worked. They had no children, the nearest relatives being a nephew and several nieces. (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)


       Mrs. Edna HARPOLD, wife of George W. HARPOLD, died suddenly at her home near Fairplain on Saturday evening, December 27, (1941) from what was described as a heart attack. She had not been in good health for some time but death came as a shock to the family and friends. She lived only a few minutes after being stricken.

       The funeral services were held from the home the following Monday with Rev. George I. LOAR, of Buckhannon in charge, and burial was the Fairplain cemetery. She is survived by the husband and the following children: Phyllis HARPOLD; Bernice HARPOLD; and Vallard HARPOLD, at home; Eunice HARPOLD, of Charleston; Mrs. Hazel CASTO, of Given; Warren and Wayne HARPOLD, both of Charleston. (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)

Elisha Dunham STOVER

       Funeral services for Elisha D. STOVER were conducted at the Creston church on December 30th by Rev. Roy DAVIS of the Cottageville United Brethren church and interment following in the church cemetery. Mr. STOVER died at his home near Evans two days prior to that time and was 73 years of age. J. B. VAIL had charge of funeral arrangements.

       Elisha Dunham STOVER, son of Saul and Harriett STOVER, was born in Jackson County, 22 February 1868, and departed this life 28 December 1942, aged 73 years, 10 months and 6 days. In 1890 he united in marriage to Rosa PARSONS, and to this union one child was born, Orville, of near Angerona, WV. His wife departed this life in 1891.

       In 1892 he was again united in marraige to Miss Lillie CASTO, of Angerona, WV. To this union the following children were born: Early Lee and Rosa Mae, both dying in infancy; Mrs. Bertha ROBINSON and Mrs. Focie HAYMAN of Apple Grove, Ohio; Selvia, Otmer, Velta and Mrs. Hazel MITCHELL of Columbus, Ohio; Mrs. Frances COE of Carbon Hill, Ohio; Cecil and Mrs. Melva HAUGHTER of Parkersburg, WV.; and Wallie of near Angerona, WV., all of whom survive.

       He is also survived by the following relatives, two brothers, Bert of Dawes, WV., and William of Point Pleasant, WV.; and five sisters, Minnie, Mrs. Rilla DURST, of Greendale, Ohio; Mrs. Docie SCIENCE of Chestnut Ridge, WV.; Mrs. Belle BOYER, of Letart, Ohio. He is survived by thirty-eight grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)


       Vadie Lee PARSONS died December 23, (1941) in the Veterans Hospital at Huntington and funeral services were held on Friday at Vienna where the body was buried. Mr. PARSONS is survived by his widow, Helen M. PARSONS; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. PARSONS, of Liverpool; three brothers, Ernie, Romie and Clinton, three sisters and a number of nieces and nephews. (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)

Hariam Atlee DUFF

       Funeral services for Hariam Atlee DUFF, known to his friends and acquaintances as "At" DUFF, were held from the old DUFF homestead near Center View on Sunday, December 28 (1941) and burial followed in the family cemetery. Mr. DUFF, who was one of the well known stone masons and farmers of that section, died at the home of his son, Lester DUFF, in Charleston on Prenter, Mrs. Dessie KISER of Fletcher, Miss Hattie DUFF and Miss Verdene DUFF both of Cross Lanes; four other sons, Lako, Paul and Russell DUFF of Charleston, and Parvin DUFF of Bridgeport, Conn.; three sisters, Mrs. Verna KISER of Swiss, Mrs. Greek DAVIS and Mrs. Dessie WALKER of Charleston; two brothers, D. F. DUFF of Kentuck, and Okey W. DUFF of Charleston, and seven grandchildren. (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)


       A long illness proved fatal to Mrs. Absalom WINTER (Laura May FRYE) at her home near Gay on December 23 (1941). She was one of the widely known and highly respected women of that community and her death was a shock to her family and many friends.

       She was 62 years old at the time of her death. Mrs. WINTER, who before her marriage was Miss Laura May FRYE, was a daughter of C. S. and Catherine FRYE, of Marshall County. On July 25, 1896, she was married to Absalom WINTER and to this union the following children were born, Owen WINTER, Gay WINTER, Herman WINTER, and Roma, who died at the age of two years.

       In addition to the husband and the sons she is survived by three brothers, J. A. FRYE, Charles FRYE, and Okey FRYE, and one sister, Mrs. Georgia BUZZAR, all of Cameron, Marshall County, WV. (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)


       Funeral services for Mrs. Hylena (RHODES) RHODES, 85, who died December 23, (1941) at her home near Vicars were held at the Fairview church and burial was in the church cemetery. She is survived by two sons, H. L. and E. C. RHODES, of Harmony; two brothers, Willie RHODES, of Staats Mills, and Frank RHODES, of Ripley, and two sisters, Miss Minnie RHODES, of Tyler Mountain (Charleston, Kanawha Co.) and Mrs. Cora RAINES of Vicars, (Roane County, WV.) (Jackson Herald, Fri., 9 Jan 1942)

Transcribed from microfilm by Betty Kessel McIntyre

Return to Obits Index

USGenWeb logo

Return to Jackson County WVGenWeb homepage

Les Shockey and Betty Briggs, Co-Coordinators of the Jackson County WVGenWeb page.
Contact us

      WVGenWeb logo