October 1941 Obituaries

Ellen Diane ANDERSON

       Five-month-old Ellen Diane ANDERSON met a tragic death last Thursday at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh ANDERSON of Grant district, when she accidently hanged herself while playing in her trundle bed.

      According to reports of the sad happening, Mr. ANDERSON had come to Ripley on business, leaving the wife and small child at home. Busy with her housework, Mrs. ANDERSON was said to have placed (?) and had gone about her chores, as is the custom the world over, leaving the tot sleeping peacefully. When, a short time later the mother glanced in to see how her little one was faring, she was horrified to see an inert form hanging from the side of the bed. She quickly removed the baby from its death trap and tried vainly to revive it. But the child was dead, bringing tragedy, gloom and sadness in the Grant District home.

      Many of the neighbors gathered with the grief stricken family Saturday afternoon when funeral and burial services for little Ellen Diane were conducted at the Temperance church and her little body was laid to rest in the church cemetery. Rev. H. E. KIMES was in charge of the service. (Friday, 10 October 1914)

Ellen Diane ANDERSON

       The death of Ellen Diane ANDERSON, little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh ANDERSON of Belleville was not due to accidental hanging as reported last week, The Herald was informed this week by the father.

      Mr. ANDERSON said that Ellen Diane was found by her mother with her head out through the crib with her neck across the side rail. The baby looked as if she may have crawled to the edge of the crib, laid her head down and went to sleep with her head across the side piece. As far as the mother could tell there had been no struggle, Mr. ANDERSON said. Dr. PICKERING was making a call one mile from the Anderson home and the baby was rushed to him but to no avail.

       Funeral services were conducted by Rev. John D. CUMBERLEDGE, Methodist minister. Funeral director H. E. KIMES of Parkersburg was in charge. (Friday, 17 Oct.1941)


       In loving rememberance of our mother, Mrs. Ray (OSA) BEATTIE, who passed away 1 October 1940. Written by daughter, Mrs. Ruth CHERRYHOLMES. (Friday, 03 Oct 1941)

Bayless CASTO

       Bayless CASTO, former resident of Ripley, died Monday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lela HARRISON of Charleston, Route 4, after a long illness. He was aged 57 years.

    Mr. CASTO was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Barney CASTO, and for many years resided in this county. Besides the daughter, with whom he made his home, he is survived by another daughter, Mrs. Albert RHODES of Mason County; a brother, Elias CASTO of Evans Route, and a sister, Mrs. Mary ATKINS of Dunbar. The body was removed to the Cunningham Funeral Home in Charleston but funeral arrangements had not been completed. (Friday, 21Nov 1941)

Fred Lee CAIN

       Fred Lee CAIN, 43 years old, was fatally wounded by a .22 rifle bullet which entered the right side of his chest while walking through the woods at Seaman, near Reedy, Saturday afternoon. Mr. CAIN was shot accidently by John Winston ALLEN, of Charleston.

    Both men were squirrel hunting and neither was aware of the other's presence in the vicinity, investigating officers said. The victim lived only a few minutes after he was wounded. ALLEN had gone to the woods accompanied by his brother-in-law Frank Moss who lived in the vicinity. ALLEN and CAIN were good friends, the officers said, and had been since ALLEN lived in the community several years ago. It was the first fatality of the hunting season in this section of the state, the season officially not opening until this morning but as usual considerable hunting has been done, according to all reports.

    Mr. CAIN is survived by his widow, Mrs. Violet CAIN. Funeral services were held Monday. (Fri., 17 Oct 1941)

Franklin Fleet DANIELL

       Franklin Fleet DANIELL, former member of the house of delegates, and one of the most widely known residents of Wirt County, died September 24 at his home at Lucile following a prolonged illness of paralysis. He was in his eightieth year.

    Mr. DANIELL was born in Roane County, a few miles above Spencer, on August 18, 1862, a son of the late Charles A. and Edith WEASE DANIELL. He was united in marriage to Anna A. GRAHAM on April 29, 1895.

    Besides his wife, he is survived by three sons, Frank, of Mayberry, Wirt County, Roscoe, of Elizabeth and Shirley, of Lucile; four brothers, J. M. DANIELL of Reedy, J. K. and C. A. DANIELL of Elizabeth, O. J. DANIELL of Parkersburg, and Mrs. J. F. DUKE of Ripley. Active in church and civic life, Mr. DANIELL was a deacon of the Two Runs church for 30 years, served as surveyor of Wirt County for several terms and in the legislature, having been elected a delegate in 1922.

    Funeral services were conducted at the Two Runs Baptist church by Rev. K. T. BOARD. Burial was in the church cemetery with funeral director T. W. DYE of Reedy in charge. (Friday, 10 October 1941)

Thomas L. FARLEY

       Funeral services for Thomas L. FARLEY, 67 year old farmer of Grant District, who died at the City Hospital in Parkersburg Saturday morning, where he had been a patient for several days, were held at the Sheppard Chapel Church Monday afternoon at one o'clock and the body was brought to the Independence Cemetery for burial.

    Mr. FARLEY had been seriously ill for the past four weeks and the greater part of that time he had been a hospital patient. He was a widely known citizen of the county and one of the outstanding men of his section, and had many friends who learned with regret of his death.

    He leaves his widow, Mrs. Sarah COOPER FARLEY; two daughters, Mrs. Raymond ROBBINS, of Medina, and Mrs. Glenn ARCHER, of Sandyville; one sister, Mrs. Marion BALL, of Hayesville, Ohio; and three brothers, N. H. FARLEY, of East Liverpool, and Ellsworth and Elisha FARLEY, of Parkersburg. Three brothers preceded him in death. (Friday, October 24, 1941))

Thomas Luther FARLEY

       Thomas Luther FARLEY, son of the late James S. and Mary Ann FARLEY was born in Wood County on July 12, 1874, and departed this life October 18, 1941, age 67 years, 3 months and 6 days.

    He was united in marriage to Sarah C. COOPER July 14, 1900. To this union were born three children as follows: Mrs. Ethel ROBBINS, of Ravenswood; Mrs. Vivian ARCHER, of Sandyville Route 4; and one son, James Foster, who preceded him in death. Also to mourn their loss are five grandchildren, Curtis, Oma, Ila and Avis Lou ROBBINS and Charles Lee ARCHER. One sister, Mrs. Harriett BALL of Byesville, Ohio, and three brothers, Hayes, of East Liverpool, Ohio; Elisha and Elsworth of Parkersburg. Three brothers preceded him in death, Sammy, Odell and Peter. Funeral services were held at Sheppard Chapel on Monday at 2 o'clock with Rev. W. S. STAATS officiating and burial was in the Independence cemetery. (Friday, 14 November 1941)

Rev. Amos Parker FISHER

       Rev. Amos Parker FISHER, 81 year old retired Baptist minister, died at his home in Charleston Monday night and funeral services were held at a mortuary in that city Wednesday afternoon and interment was in the Spring Hill cemetery.

    Surviving are his widow, the former Effie MORRISON whom he married in 1882; four daughters, Mrs. A. W. WILLIAMS, of Florida; Mrs. S. O. FABER, Mrs. George PACOT and Mrs.. Phillip LEE, all of Charleston; three sisters, Mrs. Hannah MOORE of Charleston and Mrs. J. O. HARPOLD and Mrs. C. L. REYNOLDS, both of Fairplain; 11 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. (Friday, 10 October 1941)


       Mrs. Marcella CUNNINGHAM FISHER, 79 year old widow of the late John H. FISHER, died at her home in Charleston Tuesday morning after a long illness. She was born at Kenna but had lived in Charleston for the past 25 years.

    Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Docia A. YOUNG and Mrs. Freda R. RUPE; a foster-son, Harry H. ROLLINS, and two granddaughters, Mrs. Bertha ALLEN and Miss Patty Ann RUPE, all of Charleston; two brothers, E. F. CUNNINGHAM, of Charleston and F. E. CUNNINGHAM, of Kenna, and four sisters, Mrs. Eliza SMITH of Charleston, Mrs. Mary CASTO of Dunbar, Mrs. Alice PARSONS of Belgrove, and Mrs. Dana CARNEY, of Kenna. (10 Oct 1941)


       Joseph HARPOLD, 17-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy HARPOLD, of North Canton, Ohio, died suddenly at his home Tuesday, according to word received by relatives here. Further details of his death were not available. Mrs. Verna FERGUSON of Ripley, who is an aunt of the deceased youth, left Wednesday for Canton at attend the funeral. (Friday, 31 October 1941)

Sarah Margaret HARVEY

       Funeral services for Mrs. Sarah Margaret HARVEY, wife of J. W. HARVEY of Sandyville, were held at the Independence church there Sunday morning at ten o'clock and interment was in the church cemetery. Mrs. HARVEY died Thursday night at her home. (Friday, 24 October 1941)

Sarah Margaret HARVEY

       Mrs. Sarah Margaret HARVEY, daughter of G. W. and Elizabeth BEATY, was born August 31, 1867, and departed this life 16 October 1941. She lived seventy-four years, one month and fifteen days. She was united in marriage with J. W. HARVEY September 15, 1908.

    To mourn their loss, she leaves her husband, J. W. HARVEY, at home; three step-children, Mrs. S. C. KIMES, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio; Mrs. Letha PRICE, Vienna; J. S. HARVEY, and the following brothers and sisters, John BEATY, Parkersburg; G. W. BEATY, Huntington; R. A. BEATY, Sharon, Pa.; E. C. BEATY, Dayton, Ohio; Mrs. Rebecca HENSON, Ravenswood; Mrs. Susan RICHARDS, Crow Summit and many other relatives and friends. Two brothers, Jacob and William BEATY, and one sister, Mrs. Lucy OTT preceded her in death.

    Mrs. HARVEY joined the Sand Creek Baptist church at the early age of thirteen and was loyal to the Christian faith throughout her life. She loved her home and was very devoted to her husband and family and her many friends. (Friday, 07 Nov 1941)

Josephine (MINTER) HAYS

       Funeral services for Mrs. Josephine (MINTER) HAYS, who died last Tuesday at her home in Akron, were held Thursday from the Vail mortuary with Rev. T.O. POWERS officiating. Burial was at the CASTO cemetery at Fairplain.

    Mrs. HAYS died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Floe WHITING at Akron after an illness of several years. A native of Jackson County, she had resided in the Ohio city for a number of years. Her husband preceded her in death several years ago.

    Besides the daughter with whom she made her home, Mrs. HAYS is survived by a son, Lloyd HAYS, of Akron; two daughters, Mrs. J. K. STAATS, of Ripley, and Mrs. Gary SHAMBLIN of Charleston; one sister, Mrs. L. A. RAWLINGS of Fairplain and two brothers, W. M. MINTER of Staats Mills, and O. C. MINTER of Chapmansville. (A card of thanks appeared in the same dated paper with the following names: Mr. and Mrs. J. K. STAATS, Lloyd HAYES and family, Mrs. Nellie SHAMBLIN, and Mrs. Floyd WHITING) (Friday, 24 October 1941)


       Funeral services for Isaac HOSCHAR, 62 year old farmer of Flatwoods, who took his own life last Friday by shooting, were held at Mt. Moriah Sunday and interment was in the cemetery there.

    Members of the family discovered his lifeless body (in bed) last Friday morning when when they went to call him for breakfast and Coroner C. Royal KESSEL, who viewed the body and made an examination, said that it was his opinion that he had taken his life with the 22 caliber rifle which lay by his side sometime during the night. He ordered the body brought to the Vail mortuary in Ripley where it was prepared for burial. It was the opinion of members of the dead man's family that despondency over domestic troubles had caused him to end his life and they said that he had made statements several times which indicated that he had been considering such an act.

     Surviving are the widow and the following children, Mrs. Adaline CASTO, of Ripley; Mrs. Clara SOUTHALL, of Millwood, Andrew HOSCHAR, Jesse HOSCHAR, Junior HOSCHAR, Essie HOSCHAR, Wilmer HOSCHAR and Olive HOSCHAR, all at home. (Friday, 10 October 1941)

Rozelle Parker JOHNSON

       Word was received at Ravenswood Sunday that Prof. Rozelle Parker JOHNSON, 41 years old, had been killed in an automobile crash at Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He was a member of the faculty of the University of North Carolina. His wife, the former Florence DENNING of Ravenswood, died two years ago and they have two daughters who survive. (Friday, 31 October 1941)


       State police are convinced that Agnes KENNEY, 43 years old, took her own life near the family home at Belleville early last Friday morning, but say that they have been unable to dertermine a motive and that members of the family can ascribe no reason for the act. The body of the woman was taken from a well by neighbors who were called to the home by the aged mother who suspected that the daughter might have drowned herself in the well after she had gone to make an investigation about thirty minutes after the daughter had left the house with a basket saying that she was going up the hollow to get some apples.

    The mother, Mrs. John KENNEY, said that the daughter got up about seven o'clock and milked the cow and fed the chickens and then around eight o'clock put on her overshoes and coat with the explanation that she was going after the apples. After she left the house and did not return within a short time the mother went out and called her. Receiving no answer she returned, and then went out in a few minutes and called again, this time walking out beyond the barn where she saw the basket near the abandoned well which had been forced in, covered for protection. She also found one of the overshoes which the daughter had worn when she left the house.

    Noticing that the boards, which covered the well, had been removed, she summoned neighbors Ira BENNETT, Matthew SARVER and Albert FLYNN, who brought the woman's body out of the well where it had fallen feet first, into about five and one-half feet of water. The mother could give no reason for the act, nor could the 85 year old bed-ridden father.

     Funeral services were held at Belleville Sunday afternoon at two o'clock at the Hopewell church and burial was in the church cemetery. (Friday, 07 November 1941)

Edward O. KING

       A soldier from Camp Shelby, home on furlough and who did not desire to return to camp, used a shotgun to end his life on a hill near his home on Derrick's Creek near Sissonville Friday afternoon. He was Edward O. KING, 25, a member of the national guard.

    State troopers who investigated the case said that the young man left a suicide note but they did not reveal its contents but it was generally supposed to have been to members of his family that he preferred taking his own life than returning to the army. The mother found the body late Friday evening. According to the troopers he propped a shotgun in the forks of a tree and used a stick to push the trigger. His parents said that he had been due back in Camp Shelby on Friday.

    The body was taken to the Noble-Long Funeral home at Sissonville and prepared for burial. Surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bert KING; a brother, Wilbur KING, of Charleston and two sisters, Mrs. Olive FRANCISCO, of Eleanor, and Miss Dorothy KING at home. (Friday, 31 October 1941)

Robert E. LEE

       Robert E. LEE, 34, of Crosby, Mississippi, a produce truck driver who has been making regular trips to Charleston for the past several weeks, died in a Charleston hospital Friday evening of what police said was a blow on his chin received in a Washington Street establishment the previous Sunday afternoon.

    City police arrested Jack KERNS, crippled proprietor of the establishment, and charged him with murder and he is to be given a preliminary examination this week. KERNS, who was crippled several years ago by a bullet wound in the back, was prior to that time a well known boxer. According to the police version of what happened, LEE and several other men were in KERNS' place on the Sunday afternoon drinking and gambling.

    They were in the basement of the building. LEE and another man who has not yet been apprehended got into a fight. A woman who was in the basement at the time, said to have been KERNS' wife, called to KERNS to "come downstairs and stop it." As KERNS went down the stairs the man who has not yet been arrested fled. The police said KERNS struck LEE, knocking him to the floor, unconsicous. His skull was reported fractured on both sides of the temple. KERNS was placed in jail and held without bond. (31 Oct 1941)

Lawrence MCGOWN

       Mr. Lawrence MCGOWN, born February 18, 1887, died October 9, 1941, at his home in New Brighton, Pa., from a heart attack. He was the son of the late John and Priscilla MCGOWN and spent his boyhood days in Jackson County, WV.

    Surviving are his wife, Fanny MCGOWN, five children, Reginald, Loretta, Donald, Dewayne and John, all of New Brighton. Three brothers and one sister, Mrs. Mary E. HAY, of New Philidelphia, Ohio; John and Okey MCGOWN, of Kent, Ohio, and Clarence Kent MCGOWN, whereabouts unknown. Funeral services were held at the home and burial was in the Sylvania Hills cemetery at New Brighton. (Friday, 24 October 1941)


       Mrs. Harriet CHAPMAN MCINTOSH, 71, wife of F. F. MCINTOSH, prominent Spencer merchant and oil well operator, died early Saturday at her home after an illness of two months. Mrs. MCINTOSH was the mother of F. F. MCINTOSH, Jr., a member of the West Virginia University Board of Governors. She was a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, and had lived in Spencer for many years. She was a member of the Episcopal church.

    Besides her husband and son she is survived by two daughters, Miss Mary Alice MCINTOSH of Spencer (Roane County) and Mrs. Dewitt EDWARDS of Charleston (WV). Funeral services were held at the home Monday at one-thirty p.m. Burial, in charge of the Vandale mortuary, was in the Ravenswood cemetery. (Friday, 10 Oct1941)


       Carl OLSEN, who had been steward at the local Moose club for the past two months, died suddenly in a Spencer hospital early Wednesday morning after a short illness. Mr. OLSEN who came to Ripley from Spencer is survived by his wife. He formerly stewarded at the Spencer Moose club. Funeral arrangements have not been completed. (Friday, 31 October 1941)


       In loving memory of my dear mother, Mrs. Amanda M. PARRISH, who departed this life six years ago, October 10, 1935. Loving daughter, Mrs. Otho HAWKS. (Friday, 31 October 1941)

Infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold PRINGLE

       Funeral rites for the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold PRINGLE who died on Thursday, October 2, were held the following day at the Fairplain cemetery. J. B. VAIL was the undertaker in charge. (Friday, 10 October 1941)

Martha Ellen Lange SNYDER

       Martha Ellen Lange SNYDER, aged 82, widow of John N. SNYDER, passed away at the home of her son, O. A. SNYDER, October 10, (1941), following an illness of several months. She was born in Jackson county and spent her entire life there. One son, Rev. Roy P. SNYDER, of Hickory, North Carolina, preceded her in death, March 16, 1939.

    The following children survive: Holly W. SNYDER, of Ravenswood; Mrs. A. E. RARDON, of Spencer; R. R. SNYDER, of Parkersburg; Mrs. C. L. NUUM (NUZUM ?) of Leroy; Mrs. W. C. BRANNON, Billings, Montana; and Harvey L. SNYDER, of Ravenswood. Twenty-two grandchildren and seven great grandchildren also survive. (Friday, 31 October 1941)


       Death struck twice within eight days at the home of Mr. and Mrs. P. R. Thompson at Millwood when Roger Kirk THOMPSON, age one year, died after a two week's illness of acute enterocolitis. His three year old brother, Stephen Wayne, had succumbed of the same illness on Friday, October 3. A third member was reported stricken with the disease but is said to be recovering.

    Funeral services for Roger Kirk, the second within eight days at the Millwood home, were held Monday, October 13, with Rev. W. H. HARPOLD officiating, and the body was laid to rest by the side of his older brother. Roger Kirk was born at Millwood on October 28, 1940, a son of P. R. and Clytie LOUDEN THOMPSON, who survive. The Bush Funeral home of Mt. Alto had charge of the funeral arrangements. (Friday, 17 October 1941)

Stephen Wayne THOMPSON

       Stephen Wayne THOMPSON, three year old son of Mr. and Mrs. P. R. THOMPSON, of Millwood, died at the home on Friday, October 3, after a nine day illness. Funeral services were held at Millwood on the following Sunday with Rev. W. A. HARPOLD in charge and the body was taken to Long Bottom, Ohio for burial.

    The father, mother, two sisters and five brothers survive. The Bush Funeral home at Mt. Alto had charge of the funeral arrangements. (Friday, 17 October 1941)


       Rev. E. P. THORNBURG, former pastor of the Ripley Epworth church, died early Monday morning at a clinic at Marietta, Ohio. He was 66 years old and had been in declining health for some time. He was pastor of the Poca Methodist church until two weeks ago, a charge he had served since leaving Ripley several years ago. (Friday, 10 October 1941)


       Funeral services for Virgil WHEATON, seven-year-old son of Dorse and Nellie Haven WHEATON, were held Friday afternoon at the Flatwoods church. Burial was in the Boice cemetery at Locust Grove, with the Kyger-Chambers undertaking establishment of Ravenswood in charge.

    Virgil died suddenly on Wednesday, October 22, (1941), shortly after his parents had moved from Flatwoods to a farm at Portland, Ohio. He had suffered from a heart ailment. Besides his parents, he is survived by four brothers and two sisters. (Friday, 31 October 1941)

Daniel Elmer WILLIAMS

       Daniel Elmer WILLIAMS was born December 16, 1883, departed this life October 3, 1941, age 57 years, 9 months and 17 days. Death was due to a heart ailment and complications. He leaves his aged mother, Mrs. Emma WILLIAMS and brother, James William, both of Parchment, one sister, Mrs. G. W. WILLIAMS, of Hinton, WV. His father, C. H. WILLIAMS, and sister, Flossie WILLIAMS preceded him in death.

    The funeral was conducted at Foster Chapel church, October 4, at 2 p.m. He was laid to rest by the side of his father and sister. Rev. MAHONEY conducted the service, assisted by the Ripley chapter of the IOOF No. 30. The VAIL Funeral Directors were in charge. (Fri., 10 Oct 1941)


       Funeral services for Elmer WILLIAMS, 58 years old, were held Saturday afternoon at two o'clock at the Foster Chapel church with Rev. L. R. MAHONEY in charge and burial was made in the cemetery there. Fellow Odd Fellow members of Mr. WILLIAMS had charge of the service.

    Heart disease and other complications brought death to the fifty-eight year old farmer at his home in the Foster Chapel community early Friday morning. His condition had been serious and death had been expected. Members of the family said that illness overtook him about six weeks ago and that he had gradually declined.

    He was a native of that section of Jackson county and spent his entire life there being engaged in farming. His mother, Mrs. Emma WILLIAMS; a sister, Mrs. Esther WILLIAMS, of Hinton, and a brother, James WILLIAMS, at home, are the suvivors. (Friday, 10 October 1941)


       Herman WINTER died at his home in Akron, Ohio, Thursday morning. His wife and two children and his father, Harvey WINTER of Randolph County, and his mother, Mrs. Florence SCROTE, of Akron, (Ohio) survive. His aunt, Mrs. Esther THOMAS, of Ripley, attended the funeral. (Friday, 31 October 1941)

Transcribed from microfilm by Betty Kessel McIntyre

Return to Obits Index

USGenWeb logo

Return to Jackson County WVGenWeb homepage

Les Shockey and Betty Briggs, Co-Coordinators of the Jackson County WVGenWeb page.
Contact us

      WVGenWeb logo