"In the beginning, before man could understand his reason for being, there was a Garden of Eden. For, if it were not so, man could not have survived the ages of the universe. God's Earth was that Garden of Eden. The place we will go, in the upcoming chapters, is to the secluded haven we now know as Logan County, West Virginia."
"Two major Indian villages have been officially identified in Logan County. They existed between the years 1400-1650 A.D. One was located where the downtown section of Logan now stands. The other was on the flat land near Man Appalachian Regional Hospital and Man High School. From all indications, after these villages disappeared in the mid 1600's, there were no permanent villages established until the coming of the Europeans. Most historians now call this period the Sacred Hunting Ground Era..... "
"The town we now call Logan was first identified by the early pioneers and settlers as The Islands. Around 1827, it became known as "Lawnsville". In 1884, it was incorporated and became known as town of Aracoma. In 1907, the name of the town of Aracoma was changed to Logan by an Act of the West Virginia Legislature in honor of Chief John Logan."
Taken from the prologue of "The History of Logan County". Prologue by Samuel W. Rogers and Ron Moxley. 1st printing, 1996. The Printers, Logan, WV.
The History of Logan County....Updated...Now Available
The "History of Logan County" was originally written by Henry Clay Ragland about the year 1896. Notes by additional historians and genealogists have been added. All proceeds from the first printing of this book will be donated to the Logan County Historical Society and the Logan County Landmark Commission to purchase a statue in the likeness of Chief John Logan. First printing, 1996.
"The History of Logan County" can be ordered from:
Note: This book is not endorsed by the USGENWEB, WVGENWEB OR ROOTSWEB.
G. T. Swain, History of Logan County, states "The territory of Logan as it exists today was part of Fincastle County from 1738 to 1776, then a part of Montgomery until l790, a part of Wythe until 1792, a part of Kanawha until 1809, when it became a part of Cabell and remained as such until it was organized into a county seat in 1823. The Act, creating Logan county passed January 12, 1824. Logan county was cut off parts of the counties of Cabell, Kanawha, Giles and Tazewell and included within it's boundaries all of the present counties of Boone, Fayette,Lincoln, Mercer, Mingo, McDowell, Raleigh, Wayne, and Wyoming."
Page last updated Wednesday, 17-Dec-2003