Marion County, WVGenWeb

Lincoln District, Marion County, West Virginia

This district is hilly, but the soil is good, and well adapted to grazing and agricultural purposes. The native timber is principally chestnut, oak, hard maple, beech, hickory, poplar and a variety of ash and elm. There are large quantities of sandstone and limestone throughout the district, and an abundance of valuable coal in the hills. The principal streams are Buffalo creek (running through the center of the district in an easterly direction), Mill Fall run, Hellens run, Teverbaugh creek, Little Bingamon creek and Plum run; West Fork river divides Lincoln and Grant districts, and Big Bingamon runs near the line between Marion and Harrison counties, mainly in the latter county, emptying into West Fork at the division line.

Among the first settlers of the county were Thomas Hellen, William Willey, Nathaniel Cochran, Paul Michael, John Hobbs, Anthony Koon, Caleb Davis, Sr., Thomas Laidley, Spencer Martin, Jacob Sturm, Sr., Aaron Sharp, William Cochran, Richard Parish, Sr., Jeremiah Roby, Joseph, John and Henry Tetrick, John and E. Ashcraft, Robert East, Joseph Morgan and Jeremiah Hess. The first cabin was built by Thomas Hellen, one mile below Worthington, in the year 1770, when a settlement was begun. Among the oldest settlers was Robert East, who resided for a long time under a large overhanging rock on East run, and the run and rock took his name.

A grist mill was built by Jacob Sturm in 1811, on Parish fork of Teverbaugh creek, near where the public school house now stands. The water which runs the wheel was conducted from the stream for a distance of two hundred yards, in wooden troughs. About 1823, Isaac Sturm built a grist mill upon Teverbaugh creek, connected with which was a saw mill. In the year 1801, Joseph Morgan built a combined grist, saw and carding mill, which he run by water from Buffalo creek, near where Farmington now stands. It was originally a log building, and it has since been rebuilt three times; the ownership of the mill has never been out of the Morgan family.

A small school was taught in 1795, by Joseph Tetrick, in a small log cabin that stood upon the ridge that bears the family name; the first building erected especially for school purposes was built of logs and located on Big Bingamon creek. There are now twenty one good frame school houses in the district all comfortably furnished. The number of scholars in the different subdistricts is as follows: Number one, 144; two, 44; three, 52; four, 138; five, 47; six, 38; seven, 36; eight, 47; nine, 68; ten, 42; eleven, 39; twelve, 51; thirteen, 37; fourteen, 17; fifteen, 36; sixteen, 27; seventeen, 37; eighteen, 24; nineteen, 38; twenty, 29; twenty-one, 33; joint school, 25; total, 1049.

The first post-office was established at W. J. Willey’s private house, on Buffalo creek, near where Farmington now stands, and known as “Willeys postoffice.” There are now three in the district, namely: Worthington, Farmington, and Sturms Mills.

The first religious services were held at the house of Catharine Sturm, at which time a sermon was delivered by a Methodist Episcopal preacher. The first church (Sturm Methodist Episcopal Church on Teverbaugh creek) was built of hewed logs, in 1811, and erected for school and church purposes; the present Sturm church stands upon the same site. The present church organizations in the district are as follows: Baptist (Worthington), Rev. E. M. Sapp; Christian (Worthington), membership 141, Elder F. Oakes pastor; Methodist Episcopal (Worthington), membership 7, Rev. J. F. Snodgrass; Methodist Episcopal (Farmington), Rev. W. E. Rippey; Methodist Episcopal, South, (Farmington); Catholic (Farmington); Methodist Episcopal (James Fork), Rev. W. E. Rippey; Willow Tree Baptist (near Farmington); Christian (Plum run), membership 50, Rev. W. P. Fortney; Methodist Episcopal (Mauds run), Rev. W. E. Rippey; Methodist Episcopal south (Salt Lick); Methodist Episcopal (Davis Ridge), Rev. J. F. Snodgrass; Methodist Episcopal, south (Hellens run); Methodist Episcopal, south (Teverbaugh), Rev. J. F. Snodgrass; Christian (Bingamon), Elder W. P. Fortney; Methodist Episcopal (Bethel).

The first Sabbath school in Lincoln District was organized on the first Sunday in April, 1815, near what is now the James Fork Methodist Episcopal Church on Dunkard Mill run, by Mrs. Thomas Laidley (familiarly known as “Mother” Laidley), who was its first superintendent. She died recently at an advanced age, beloved by all who knew her, for her deeds of kindness. A similar school was organized in 1828, by Sarah F. (Lindley) Davis, in the barn of Jehu L. Davis, which was attended from throughout a large extent of the surrounding country. There are now twenty-four flourishing Sabbath schools in the district, viz: Gilboa (Methodist Episcopal), Iron Springs (Methodist Episcopal), James Fork (Methodist Episcopal), Bethel (Methodist Episcopal), Willow Tree (Baptist), Farmington (one Methodist Episcopal and one Methodist Episcopal, south), Plum run (one Union and one Christian), Mauds run (Methodist Episcopal), Salt Lick (one Methodist Episcopal, south, and one union), Teverbaugh (one Methodist Episcopal, south, and one union), Robinsons (union), Little Bingamon (Methodist Episcopal), Long run (union), Worthington (Christian and Baptist), Hellens run (Methodist piscopal, south), Davis Ridge (union), Beech Grove (union), Willow School House (Baptist), Odell Knob (Christian), East run (union). The principal villages are Farmington and Worthington.

Source: Hardesty’s West Virginia Counties; Volume 2; Pages 74-75
             Jim Comstock – Richwood, WV