Submitted by Phyllis Slater.
The small community of Adaline lies on Fish Creek, Liberty and Meade Districts, Marshall County, a short distance from Wetzel County. It was settled about 1844. It is told that Bryan Bruin owned a large tract of land in the Maggoty Run area that later belonged to David Fair, Henry Sockman, Mont Buzzard, Conrad Fair, Jack Wetzel, Sam Mason, Jacob Mason, Frederick and George Bowers. Nathaniel Shepherd's land was purchased from Michael Tabler in the 1830's. This tract was later divided between Nathan Shepherd and Mary and Reason Yeater.
Adaline was named in favor of the daughter of Reason & Mary (Shepherd) Yeater, when the post office was established in 1852. Reason Yeater came as a young man from Green Co.,Pa., son of David & Margaret Yeater. He soon acquired much land and became a prominent figure in the community.
Adaline had the usual stores, saloons, school, church and blacksmith shop. Each community was self-containing in the early days. The town was situated in a lovely, wide, fertile valley, bordered by low rolling forest clad hills that were cultivated and boasted fine orchards.
Mr. Sockman erected a fort on his farm on a knoll overlooking his home for protection against the Indians. The post office was near his home, the center of the community. Many Indian relics have been found nearby. Not far from the Sockman home at the edge of Maggoty Run where it joins with Fish Creek, is Bowers Cemetery. Many early settlers are buried there, such as Sockmans, Fairs, Bowers, Yeater and many others. Many of the monuments are now broken or buried in the ground.
The Shepherd Methodist Church, first built in 1844, is on the land Nathaniel Shepard, Sr. settled on when he first entered the valley. The first church and the next one were destroyed by fire. The one now is use was erected in 1901. Services are still being held, and the cemetery is well kept. In October of 1965, the building was rededicated, following an extensive remodeling project.
The western boundary of the Sheperd land joined the land of Jesse T. McCardle. The McCardle grant was a patent granted to him in 1792. The patent was signed by Thomas Jefferson, then Governor of Virginia. A part of this patent was later owned, among others by Joe Shutler, William Sheperd, Clarence Mason and Charles McCoy.
The Adaline school, or "Ole Brown House" school was located at the foot of the Greenfield Hill where the road intersects with the Fish Creek road. It was painted brown, thus the name. During the school year of 1900-1901 William Sheperd was teacher there. Other teachers in the school were; Miss Florence Rine, Clem Bassett and Theodore Emery. Mr. Emery was the last teacher there. Double seats with large desks provided the seating of perhaps fifty pupils at one time.
During the year of 1908 a new school was built nearby. This school served the community until 1950 when a two room structure was built. The school now serves as a community center.
From the History of Marshall County, 1984; submitted by Charles Mason.