Photo by Nancy Lindroth.
Beeler's Station, Webster District, is a community that borders the Cameron District and holds many historical points of interest.
Fort Beeler stood on a ridge between Middle Grave Creek and Wolf Run. It was said to have been where the Charles Fry farm is now.
Colonel Beeler acquired a vast amount of land by grant from Governor Henry Lee of Virginia. When Colonel Beeler came to Fort Beeler, where he and his men were located, they were harassed by Indians almost constantly. Early residents say there was an Indian Village near the Fort, evidenced by arrow heads and artifacts of Indian living found. The Indians did all they could to drive the white man from the land they claimed the "Great Spirit" had given to them.
Fort Beeler was a sad situation, the women and children thought the nights were terrifying--the howl of the wolf, shriek of the panther, cry of the wild cat and bears growling; to say nothing of the harsh voices of the Indians consstantly prowling around.
Col. Beeler became discouraged and sometime in 1780 he asked Mr. Tomlinson of the Moundsville area to go with him to Philadelphia to get help from Chief Officers of State. They walked the great distance. In spring of 1781 fifty-three men, under command of Captain Long were sent to their aid at Fort Beeler. The year in which Col. Beeler died is not known, but a monument to his memory is standing along US 250 across from Beeler's Station Church.
The first Beeler's Station Church was established in 1826 by James Foster and John Wilson. At one time a post office and store were operated at Beeler's Station but now it is mostly all farming area.