From "HISTORY OF THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY,"  Vol. I, page 683.
Brant & Fuller, 1890.


WILLIAM J. BURLEY

William J. Burley, son of James (listed), is the present sheriff of 
Marshall county.  He was born at Moundsville, December 23, 1842.  He 
received his education at the Moundsville academy and in the 
Allegheny college, Penn., which he left in 1859, at the time of the 
John Brown raid, to serve one year in the Virginia militia.  In 1862 
he enlisted in Company A, Twelfth West Virginia infantry, served in 
the army of West Virginia under Gen. Kelley, in 1863, in the valley 
of Virginia under Gen. Milroy, and from 1864 under Sigel, Hunter and 
Sheridan.  In the fall of 1864 they occupied the peninsula in front 
of Richmond and remained there until March 1, 1865, when they crossed 
the James, and served under Grant until the surrender, and was 
discharged June 17, 1865.  He enlisted as private, was elected second 
lieutenant, was promoted first lieutenant, was promoted captain in 
the fall of 1864, major in the following February, and was 
commissioned brevet lieutenant colonel, before he had reached the age 
of twenty-three.  He served in fourteen battles, and has in his 
keeping the golden eagle which was presented to his regiment by Maj. 
Gen. John Gibbon, for gallant conduct in the assault on Fort Gregg, 
April 2, 1865.  He commanded the Twelfth regiment, in the pursuit of 
Lee, and until their return to Richmond after the surrender.  
Returning home Mr. Burley engaged in business, and shortly was 
elected president of the county court, a position he filled until 
July, 1888, when he resigned and in the following November was 
elected sheriff of the county.  He has also held the office of school 
commissioner of the county, and has discharged all his trusts with a 
high sense of his duty to the public.  He is influential in politics 
as a republican, and was a delegate of the state to the Chicago 
convention of 1880, where he supported Garfield and was one of the 
three who dissented from the Conkling iron-clad resolution.  Col. 
Burley was married December 31, 1863, to Emma, daughter of Michael 
Dunn, and they have three children:  James D., deputy sheriff, Julia 
and Virginia.  Mrs. Burley is a member of the Methodist church, and 
he is a comrade of the G.A.R.       

(Linda Fluharty)   

The following provided by David Burley:

THE BURLEY BRICK - THEN ……

Built in the 1800s on the Burley farm now part of the city of Moundsville was the home of civil war veteran Major William Jonathon Burley. It was located on the Waynesburg Road now First Street.

BURLEY
This picture (circa 1880) shows Mr. Burley (seated foreground) with his wife Emily, children James, Julia and Virginia, cousin Margaret Bruce Bowley, and household servants.

AND NOW……

BURLEY
This former Burley farmhouse is now the site of Young’s Care Home. The entrance is located at 102 Hickory Avenue.


BACK