John A. and Wilhelmina (Schuetz) Schwob
FIRE BURNS FACTORY END OF SCHWOB GRAIN CRADLE BUILDING
Article and photos submitted by Laurel Meyer.
BIOGRAPHY JOHN A. SCHWOB
From "HISTORY OF THE UPPER OHIO VALLEY," Vol. I, pages 733-734. Brant & Fuller, 1890.
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.
John A. Schwob, born in Scholbach, Loraine, France, February 26, 1831, died at Moundsville, April 9, 1889, was one of the most noted citizens of the city, and the founder of one of the important manufacturing institutions of Moundsville. He was the son of John A. and Caroline (Faber) Schwob. In 1832, in company with his mother, he was brought to this country by his grandparents, Henry and Christina Faber, and soon after their arrival his mother died in Pittsburgh, Penn. The grandparents removed to Monroe county, Ohio, where John A. lived upon the farm until he was seventeen years old, he then went to Wheeling and learned the trade of cabinet-maker, remaining there two and one-half years. From Wheeling he went to St. Louis, residing there and at Hannibal, Mo., until the spring of 1852, when he went to Miltonsburgh, Ohio, where he opened up a cabinet-making shop, and remained there until 1879. On July 19, 1853, he was married to Wilhemina, daughter of Peter and Phillipena Schuetz, a native of Vorderweidinthal, Bavaria, Germany. Six children were born to them, viz: John W., born May 26, 1854; Amelia L., born October 19, 1856; Eliza, June 28, 1859; Mary, February 25, 1861, died September 11, 1861; Herman H., July 2, 1865, died March 29, 1867, and Charles C., March 23, 1869. John W. was married to Elizabeth Egger, of Monroe county, Ohio, on the 3d of July, 1879; three children were born to them, viz.: Oliver O., Albert A. and Elsie E. Amelia L. was married to E. C. Grisell, of Moundsville, W.Va., April 1, 1880, one child was born to them, Elmer F. Eliza was married to Louis Dressel, of Moundsville, W.Va., November 13, 1880, two children were born to them, viz., Trella F. and Mabel Amelia. In 1860 Mr. Schwob, in connection with cabinet-making, began the manufacture of grain cradles. In 1875 he abandoned cabinet making and manufactured grain cradles exclusively, inventing his own machinery, and coming to Moundsville, W.Va., in 1879, where he established a factory which is now under management of his sons, John W., Charles C., and son-in- law, E. C. Grisell, turning out 4,000 grain cradles per year. Mr. Schwob was honored with the office of treasurer of Malaga township, Monroe Co., Ohio, for ten years, and was justice of the peace of the same township for six years. He was an elder of the Presbyterian church, to which his widow belongs.
RETURN TO BIOGRAPHIES