DESCENDANTS OF GEORGE MILLER SIMMS & CLARA L. HUPP
Generation No. 2 - The Children
2. ORANGE LEROY5 SIMMS (CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born April 17, 1877 in Marshall Co., WV near Cameron4, and died March 21, 1939 in St. Maries, ID. He met MARY MAUDE HENNEN November 28, 1912 in Wheeling, WV Ohio County5, daughter of THOMAS HENNEN and CORA DOLBEAU. She was born May 30, 1891 in Jollytown, PA Greene County6, and died October 10, 1934 in St. Maries, ID.
Notes for ORANGE LEROY SIMMS:
Orange Lee Simms is how he filed his social security application on 13 Feb 1937. This is kept on microfilm at the Railroad retirement Board. He gives his place of residence as 245 9th, St Maries, ID. He is listed as a Loco. Eng'r and his date of birth was given as 17 April 1877 in Cameron, WV. His parents listed as Geo. Miller Simms and Clarice Hupp. Because the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad needed engineers, Orange Simms' service record with the B & O RR was protected according to his daughter, Cora Mildred Simms Webster.
More About ORANGE LEROY SIMMS:
Fact 1: August 13, 1896, hired B & O RR as fireman
Fact 2: October 29, 1899, Promoted to engineer
Fact 3: March 01, 1911, Left B & O RR
Fact 4: Chicago, Milwankee & St. Paul Railroad
Children of ORANGE SIMMS and MARY HENNEN are:
i. CORA MILDRED6 SIMMS, b. April 20, 1916, St. Maries, ID Benewam County; m. WALTER E. WEBSTER, May 10, 19707.
7. ii. ADA VIRGINIA SIMMS, b. June 16, 1920, St. Maries, ID Benewam County.
8. iii. CLARA WILMA SIMMS, b. August 22, 1924, St. Maries, ID Benewam County.
3. MELVIN PORTER5 SIMMS (CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born November 13, 1878 in Marshall Co., WV, and died March 02, 1957 in Cleremont Co., OH. He married ANNA DEAN CARLIN January 14, 1904 in Oakland, MD, Garrett County, daughter of ELMER CARLIN and KATHERINE PORTER. She was born January 28, 1886 in Wheeling, WV Ohio County, and died December 09, 1977 in Brown, Co., OH.
Notes for MELVIN PORTER SIMMS:
The information on the death certificate of Melvin Porter Simms given by his son, Clyde Simms has the date of birth as November 09, 1878, however, the the Railroad Retirement Board's application for a social security number gives the date of birth as November 13, 1876. His death certificate is in the Ohio Department of Health, division of vital statistics, Reg. Dist. 1300 and registrar's No 37D. On his marriage application in Garrett Co., MD, he gives his age as 24 years in 1904 which would make his date of birth 1880.
More About MELVIN PORTER SIMMS:
Fact 1: May 18, 1898, Hired as fireman with B & O RR
Fact 2: December 10, 1901, Promoted to freight engineer
Fact 3: May 12, 1945, Retired from B & O RR
Children of MELVIN SIMMS and ANNA CARLIN are:
9. i. AUDREY GENEVIEVE6 SIMMS, b. September 16, 1904, Cameron, WV Marshall County; d. December 01, 1936, Bethel, OH, Claremont county.
10. ii. HUBERT CARLIN SIMMS, b. March 30, 1907, Cameron, WV, Marshall Co.; d. August 30, 1993, Richmond, VA.
11. iii. ETHEL MAE SIMMS, b. April 15, 1909, Cameron, WV Marshall County.
12. iv. CLYDE ELLSWORTH SIMMS, b. February 01, 1912, Cameron, WV Marshall County.
13. v. GERTRUDE IMOGENE SIMMS, b. February 28, 1914, Cameron, WV Marshall County; d. February 15, 1999, Cincinnati, OH.
vi. CLARA MARGUERITE SIMMS, b. September 26, 1916, Cameron, WV Marshall County; d. January 16, 1917.
Notes for CLARA MARGUERITE SIMMS:
Clara Margaret died in Cameron, WV Marshall county. Cause of death was spinal meningitis. Her death is recorded in Death Record 2 page 210 Marshall Co.
My grandparents said her name was Clara Marguerite, not Clara Margaret as on death certificate.
vii. MELVIN PORTER SIMMS, JR, b. November 13, 1918.
Notes for MELVIN PORTER SIMMS, JR:
Melvin Porter Simms was an engineer with the B & O RR. He was initiated 02 Dec 1913 into the Cameron Lodge #17 A F & AM. He passed Jan 6, 1914 and was raised Jan 20, 1914. He was also a member of the Knights of Pythias Uniform Rank. He belonged to Cameron Lodge #21. The earliest his name is mentioned in for the term ending December 31, 1900 when he served as Prelate. He was listed as a Past Chancellor Commander of the lodge in their report ending Dec 31, 1952. In 1953 the charter was surrendered and that lodge ended. Melvin Porter Simms is buried in Highland Cemetery, Cameron, WV in plot of his son, Hubert Carlin Simms.
4. OTT EVERETT5 SIMMS (CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born May 30, 1882, and died January 12, 1966. He married BESSIE MAE BELTCH June 15, 1917.
Children of OTT SIMMS and BESSIE BELTCH are:
14. i. GEORGE HUPP6 SIMMS, b. April 05, 1918.
15. ii. SAMUEL JOSEPH SIMMS, b. January 28, 1927.
16. iii. CLARICE ANNETTE SIMMS, b. October 22, 1932; d. February 18, 1982.
5. OLIVE MYRTLE5 SIMMS (CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born May 05, 1884, and died July 07, 1969. She married WILLIAM JAMES PETERS.
Children of OLIVE SIMMS and WILLIAM PETERS are:
i. WILLIAM P.6 PETERS.
17. ii. JACK PETERS.
6. LULU PEARL5 SIMMS (CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born April 10, 1887 in near Cameron, WV, Marshall County, and died February 05, 1977 in California. She married ARTHUR AUSTIN MURRAY June 02, 1909 in Cameron, WV Marshall County. He was born in Shenandoah Co., Virginia.
Notes for LULU PEARL SIMMS:
On Pearl's B & O Railroad record she lied about her age and said she was born in 1893 but she was born in 1887. She had a hard time when she wanted to retire as she was much older than the record stated. Hubert Carlin Simms, her nephew, was able to find documentation that proved her age.
More About LULU PEARL SIMMS:
Fact 1: October 26, 1920, Hired as clerk-car-service B & O RR
Fact 2: October 01, 1968, Retired with 48 years of service
Marriage Notes for LULU SIMMS and ARTHUR MURRAY:
The marriage of Lula Pearl and Arthur is in Book L pg 151 of Marshall Co., WV.
Child of LULU SIMMS and ARTHUR MURRAY is:
i. ELEANORE6 MURRAY, b. December 23, 1910; d. June 09, 2000, Claremont, California.
Notes for ELEANORE MURRAY:
Eleanore had an court appointed Private conservator to look after her needs. After a bout with preumonia, she was moved to a skilled nursing facility in Claremont, CA where she died.
Generation No. 3 - The Grandchildren
7. ADA VIRGINIA6 SIMMS (ORANGE LEROY5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born June 16, 1920 in St. Maries, ID Benewam County. She married FRED GILBERT ALTOMARI March 29, 1952.
8. CLARA WILMA6 SIMMS (ORANGE LEROY5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born August 22, 1924 in St. Maries, ID Benewam County. She met HARRY S. JENSEN December 17, 1950.
9. AUDREY GENEVIEVE6 SIMMS (MELVIN PORTER5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born September 16, 1904 in Cameron, WV Marshall County, and died December 01, 1936 in Bethel, OH, Claremont county. She met WALTER HAROLD CULLEY, MD December 03, 1922 in Moundsville, WV, Marshall County, son of ERNEST CULLEY/KOELLE and ANNA WILHELON. He was born August 22, 1897 in Cameron, WV Marshall County, and died September 04, 1963 in Bethel, OH, Claremont County.
Notes for AUDREY GENEVIEVE SIMMS:
Audrey's death certificate #80599 in Claremont Co.
Notes for WALTER HAROLD CULLEY, MD:
Dr. Walter H., beloved husband of the late Audrey G. Culley (nee Simms), devoted father of Margaret Ann Culley, dear brother of Dr. Raymond Culley, Edward Culley, Mary Matthews and Florence Duncan; Wednesday, September 04, 1963, residence, 284 East Plain Street, Bethel, Ohio, age 66 years. Friends may call at the late residence, Saturday September 7, from 4 to 9 P.M. Masonic Lodge service Saturday at 8 P.M. Funeral service will be held at the convenience of the family. Kennedy Funeral Home, Bethel, Ohio, in charge.
Child of AUDREY SIMMS and WALTER CULLEY is:
i. MARGARET ANN7 CULLEY, b. December 09, 1925, Bethel, OH, Claremont County; m. W. RICHARD HAISLIP, JR., November 20, 1970, Oakland, MD Garrett County.
10. HUBERT CARLIN6 SIMMS (MELVIN PORTER5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born March 30, 1907 in Cameron, WV, Marshall Co., and died August 30, 1993 in Richmond, VA8. He married NANCY LEANORE CARNEY June 14, 1926 in Moundsville, WV, Marshall County, daughter of FRANK CARNEY and MAUDE BARNETT. She was born October 12, 1908 in Salem, WV, Harrison County.
11. ETHEL MAE6 SIMMS (MELVIN PORTER5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born April 15, 1909 in Cameron, WV Marshall County. She met HERBERT JAMES CREELMAN June 09, 1932 in Covington, KY. He was born November 12, 1902 in Cincinnati, OH, and died September 1968 in Cincinnati, OH.
Notes for ETHEL MAE SIMMS:
In March 1998, Ethel was living with her granddaughter, Kim at 8144 Sunburst, Center Line, Michigan 48015.
Notes for HERBERT JAMES CREELMAN:
Herbert and Ethel Simms Creelman were divorced and remarried. They divorced the second time and Herb remarried. Herb and Ethel had two children, Herb Jr. and Marilyn who preceded Ethel in death. Herb Jr. had no children. Herb Sr. SS#269-05-7774 from Social Security death Index
Marriage Notes for ETHEL SIMMS and HERBERT CREELMAN:
Ethel and Herb were divorced in 1947. She married Carl Mullenhagen and then Le Roy Harden in 1960 and they divorced 1961.
Children of ETHEL SIMMS and HERBERT CREELMAN are:
23. i. MARILYN JOAN7 CREELMAN, b. February 15, 1934, Cincinnati, OH; d. July 25, 1981, Chicago, IL.
ii. HERBERT JAMES CREELMAN II, b. October 30, 1937, Cincinnati, OH; m. (2) MARY LOU MARSHELL, July 14, 1971, Cincinnati, OH; b. January 02, 1939, Covington, KY.
12. CLYDE ELLSWORTH6 SIMMS (MELVIN PORTER5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born February 01, 1912 in Cameron, WV Marshall County. He met JULIA REED BECK June 16, 1931 in Covington, KY, daughter of ESTEL BECK and HANNAH REED. She was born June 22, 1913 in Bethel, OH, Claremont County, and died June 04, 1989 in Massillon, OH.
13. GERTRUDE IMOGENE6 SIMMS (MELVIN PORTER5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born February 28, 1914 in Cameron, WV Marshall County, and died February 15, 1999 in Cincinnati, OH. She met HARRY CALLAND ELBIN in Wheeling, WV Ohio County. He was born May 11, 1916 in Cameron, WV Marshall County, and died January 1960.
Notes for GERTRUDE IMOGENE SIMMS:
Headline: Gertrude Simms-Elbin worked in Brown County as a nurse; Bethel resident was active in Eastern Star
Publication Date: February 23, 1999
Source: The Cincinnati Enquirer
Obituary: Gertrude Imogene Simms-Elbin, former nurse at Brown County Hospital, died Feb. 15 at the Hospice of Cincinnati in Blue Ash. She was 84.
Mrs. Simms-Elbin was a nurse for 15 years in Brown County. She received her education at both West Virginia Wesleyan and West Virginia University.
She retired in 1976.
Mrs. Simms-Elbin, born in Cameron, W.Va., was a member of the Susan B. Anthony Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star from 1948 to the late 1970s. She had previously represented the white point position (Esther) on the Eastern Star Symbol. In that position, she participated in several of the organization's services.
Mrs. Simms-Elbin, a longtime resident of Bethel, had been a member of the Bethel United Methodist Church since the 1940s, when she moved to Cincinnati.
Her husband preceded her in death.
Surviving are: two daughters, Dolores Jean Ellis of Amelia and Carol Elbin of Bethel; a brother, Clyde Simms of Massillon, Ohio; a sister, Ethel Harden of Center Line, Mich.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
A private memorial service will be held March 6 at the Bethel United Methodist Church, 402 W. Plane. Burial will follow at the Bethel-Tate Cemetery.
Memorials can be sent to: the Hospice of Cincinnati, 4310 Cooper Road, Cincinnati 45242; the American Cancer Society, 11117 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati 45242; or the American Heart Association, 2936 Vernon Place, Cincinnati 45219.
Notes for HARRY CALLAND ELBIN:
From the Social Security Death Index his SS#235-14-6105
14. GEORGE HUPP6 SIMMS (OTT EVERETT5, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1) was born April 05, 1918. He married DOROTHY LOUISE HOUT.
17. JACK6 PETERS (OLIVE MYRTLE5 SIMMS, CLARA L.4 HUPP, EVERHART3, FRANCIS2, EVERHART1)
Children of JACK PETERS are:
i. JACK FRED7 PETERS.
ii. BILLY PETERS.
1. Hupp Bible in possession Elmer Hupp and information in John C. Hupp (Fairmount WV file
2. Clara L. Hupp Simms is buried at Quiet Dell Cemetery near the Quiet Dell church on Hart's Run, Greene Co., PA near WV line. The tombstone reads "Clara L. wife of G.M. Simms b May 20, 1856 d May 14, 1891 age 36,11 mos 24 days.
3. Death certificate and obituary. Letter from Hubert C. Simms dated Mar 19, 1984 George Miller simms buried at Quiet Dell Cemetery. No marker on his grave. Marker on 1st wife Clara L. Hupp as her father's will provided for it.
4. RR pension board, Marriage announcement and daughters of Orange.
5. Marriage information in obituary, St. Maries gazette Record 23 Mar 1839. Interment in riverside Mausoleum, Spokane, WA
6. Obituary dated 11 Oct 1934 in St. Maries Gazette Record, St. Maries, Idaho. Family members of Presbyterian church.
7. Information from Cora Mildred Simms Webster
8. death certificate Richmond VA