Denver Clayton Yoho

By Billy Yoho, First Cousin.


Denver Clayton Yoho, 87, of Gallipolis, husband of Mary Elizabeth Williams Yoho, died Saturday (April 7, 2001) at Arbors of Gallipolis. He was a retired USDA Soil and Water Conservation technician. Also surviving are two daughters, Sara Alice Northup and Mary Jo Jones, both of Gallipolis; one brother, Allen F. Yoho of Massilon; and five sisters, Alma Maye Curry of San Antonio, Vesta Emaline Smith of Ironton, Elsie Geneva Shafer of Akron, Edna Elizabeth "Betty" Rhodes of Richland, Wash., and Margaret Estella "Margie" Perry of Canvas, W.Va. Funeral 2 p.m. Wednesday at McCoy Moore Funeral Home, Wetherholt Chapel, Gallipolis; burial in Calvary Cemetery, Rio Grande. Friends may call from 6 to 9 p.m. today at the funeral home. (Submitted by Norbert Klug.)


     All the family knew he was seriously ill, with nursing home and all the assistance one could ask for being employed. He went to sleep on receiving his ultimate painkiller for he was much in pain. When I received the fateful news, the first thing that entered my thoughts of my first cousin and dear friend was the day he arrived in Washington in 1945 after just getting back from overseas. I was stationed at the Advanced Gunner's Mate School in Anacostia, DC, finishing my new function in my military career as a five inch thirty-eight twin gun mount expert, at the time and wearing my summer whites and Denver Clayton Stevens Yoho in his army khaki. I was on the plank crew of my second ship, the USS Oregon City. I ordered a bottle of Arrow Beer and he did the same and we talked for hours about the families. We exchanged a lot of war stories, and he told me of Remagen and Clyde, Jr. and I told him of Jack's Iwo Jima. My older brother, George was in China with the Army and younger brother, Gene was in the Navy on the light cruiser, Oklahoma City. One of my older brothers, Pete, who was away in the submarine service, was closer to Denver in the age bracket, and when you saw any type of reunion, you would see their groups together. Pete while living in Huntington went into the CCCs in the thirties and was instrumental in getting Denver his first job at Jimmy's restaurant in DC, near the Ford's Theater. That was when just before he started on the "Pain King" tour of duty in the rural countryside of WV, OH, KY and VA. That was when he started experiencing his niche of conversationalists and note-taker of all his kinfolk in Marshall, Tyler and Wetzel counties. It was the birth of his avocation "family historian." I met cousin Ivan Yoho at my Lanham law office in 1972. He was put in touch with me by Denver. Ivan had accumulated a great deal of genealogy and family history notes of the family and its Alsace connection. He wanted to preserve the stuff he gathered and he thought I could help. Orally, he sketched the volumes of material and left it with me to review. He came back days later and we had wonderful discussions in regard the the varied family of Yoho. That was about the same time cousin Hugh Yoho contacted me about my dad's family. He said that Denver gave him my name and number. I sent him information from my side and then I put Hugh in touch with my Aunt Nellie Yoho Simpson who was living then in Mt. Lake Park, MD. I commenced to collect other family history. Denver supplied me starters and like Topsy, it grew, but slow, this was really before the computer and everything had to be typed from long handed notes. The revision element of the computers cause things to mushroom. Every reunion attended, I would obtain more information. It was there if you only looked for it. I made contact with super researcher in Richmond and obtained deed information on the property near Cedar Creek, VA, all the time talking an exchanging information from Denver's storehouse. Distant nieces on the Boehning, Bryan and Hawkins of the families, who were beginning to work on genealogy, comparing data with me, having it all available to the my brothers and sisters.

     I thought about the time The Morgan County, WV Historical Society gave Shirley and me a splendid occasion to ask Mary and Denver to come to our tree farm. Denver and I went to the meeting in Berkeley Springs and enjoy the speakers, talking about genealogy treasure in the "Shenandoah Valley, The Migration Trial," while Mary and Shirley got to exchange family stories at the farm. On Saturday, I got them to go flying with me in 6149 Romeo, the Cessna 210. We flew around the county, over nearby Maryland and down to Martinsburg. It was super time spent together.

     I sped into family history realm upon entering the Macintosh world and working with genealogy programs. Over the years I tried to convince Denver to start using a computer on his stuff, but he felt it might be a little difficult. Actually, I think he thought he had too much stuff to put in the new fangled machine. Denver gave me the name of Dick Henthorn who I became personally acquainted with the last several years, genealogy and taking him to a couple Lions Club meetings.

     Denver and Mary, Dale and Mary, Allen and Jean, were particularly close to me. Denver, like a big brother, and Dale a golf buddy and Allen, he ís still learning. Just kidding. I have been to many reunions. Only the last 5 years have I been to the Yoho one in New Martinsville. I met Denver and Mary there 2 years ago, when Shirley and Kayla Dolby, our granddaughter made the trip. Adopted cousin, Dick Henthorn and I drove there about 5 years ago. And, last year I introduced my grandson Jonathan to the Yohos at the Reunion. He helped with the raffle. It will be a little sad no seeing Denver in the future, but the work and interest he started in family loving history will live forever. Every time you pick up a genealogy paper on the Yoho family, or read a Hillbilly, or Cabell News, on travel on the Net, heíll be there, helping you tie in this cousin or that cousin.

     I played golf Tuesday morning on the same rocky course that Allen played with us on the year he retired from the military, and called brother Gene in Damascus, "See you at 1 o'clock." "Ok," he replied. Went home, got my stuff, kissed the bride, and left College Park. It took me 24 minutes to get to Geneís. He put his stuff in the Imperial and off we went; I droved. We had a great conversations on the way, up 70 to 68 to 79 to 50 to 7 to Gallipolis to McCoy Moore. Funny thing happened between Clarksburg and Parkersburg, I looked down, and the gas indicator said, "Empty." No panic, but I hit the memory console and it said, "zero miles left." Would you believe, just a short prayer later, we notice Salem was near. Would be make it. Sure, we made it. I had a tenth of a gallon of gas left. That is the closest I've ever been. Terrible rain and wind storm hit us out of Parkersburg in Ohio. Found out later a piece of the door trim was blown off and it is now resting somewhere on the southbound lane of OH 7. First people we met at McCoyís was brother George and his bride, Helen. They came with grandson, Chaz, but left him in the pool back at the "Eight," where they were staying. We went forward to visit with Mary Elizabeth Williams Yoho, and she was graciously surprised, "Oh, Bill and Gene, I'm so glad you are here." We went to view Denver. We saw Sara Alice, Mary Joe, Dick Northrup, Maye Curry, Allen and Janet and many, many others. So the plan at this point was to get something to eat since a bag of Fritoes and a coke was all we had on the way. Gave them our cell phone number. "We'll meet you back at Bob Evans in one-half of an hour," we told George and Helen, since the motel that Dick and Sarah had reservations at was across the street from Bob Evans. We drove up near the Eight and could not find the College Inn. Then we realize it was the Bob Evans at Rio Grande. Went to desk and left message, also the pool and left message with Chaz. A predicament, what to do! So we figured, wrong of course, that Helen and George would find out and follow us to Bob Evans, Rio, so we drove there College Inn and check into #10 and drove across the road to the Bob Evans. "Closed." At 8 o'clock, it was closed for the evening. Back to Bob Evans Gallipolis, 'G' hereafter. Did not see George anywhere. Went to desk and left message. We were a little hungry, so we went to Bob Evans G, but found out while we were being served, they closed at 9 and it was 9. George called on the cell phone, said he was at Bob Evans Rio and it were closed. We told him where we were and to come on down. During our meal, we continually got up to check the front door for them, but to no avail. We met Margie and Perrys there. We left and thought we would try the Eight for George again. They were in. We talked and went over where we went wrong. "Everywhere." But, we left them about midnight and said we will see you at 9:30 in the morning and we will eat breakfast at Bob Evans G. We did. As we got ready to leave, Allen and Janet came in and joined us. We were checked out of College, and agreed we would all go over until George checked out and then to go to Gallipolis to the park. The services were over 3 hours away. Gene and I went to McCoy's and walked to the the Park. It was a pleasant day. The rain and showers forecasted did not come. We viewed the names on the Honored Military Wall Pavilion at the park, Helen, George and Chaz joined us and we walked, sat and talked. Allen came along and we all walked to McCoy's together. Cousin Claude did not make it as Emaline did not either, couldn't travel. As we entered the grounds, we were asked if we were the ones with the white car. We acknowledged we were and they placed a funeral flag on the roof top. We got a group of chairs in the third row directly in back of the grand and great grand children. Allen and the sisters sat behind us. Services began sharply at 2 o'clock. American Legion placed a poppy on Denver's chest. Rev. Berry gave us a sincere message, he was called home, and he further challenged any non-believers. There were none. Amazing Grace was sung by Christie. He gave some of Denver's history, read a couple of appropriate poems, and there was another song. Her singing was beautiful. We went to our cars and were numbered 10 following the hearse, lead car, and police escort. There were 28 cars in back of us, headed north on 160 to 35. On the way, local drivers courteously pulled over and waited while the procession passed. It took us a little 30 minutes and we arrived at Calvary Cemetery and walked with others to the grave. Stood along side of Charles Jones and Jean Yoho. Saw Bob and Geneva Shaffer. An American Legion unit made comments, gave a 3-gun salute and folded and presented the flag to Mary. Dinner at Simpson Chapel United Methodist Church in Rio Grande, Denver and Maryís church, followed, but we had to leave because of the threatening weather on our route home. Before we left we were able to meet again with Jim Smith. Gary Williams and Peggy who are now living on Denverís Island exchanged some pleasant words with us. We said so-long to brother George, Helen and Chaz. 14.

     Denver Clayton Church Jarvis Stevens Yoho was almost 88, missing it by less than 2 months - 87 years and 310 days. He died on a Saturday, born on a Sunday, and married Mary on a Friday, who was born on a Monday, had his daughters on a Tuesday and a Monday. The full circle, he was buried on Wednesday. Sister Alyce told me of the time he was lining up horses for the group to go to a revival in Ona from Cabell Creek. He picked her a nice, easy, docile mare for the trips. He had a full interesting life. I recalled how he mentioned in many conversations, how things would work out and always for the better; he enjoyed himself and his faith, and hope in the hereafter. Family history was always in the forefront of any memory or discussion. But it was fun, not a drudge. We discussed the likelihood that the two-part Bryan families were from the same grand parents. That in the early 1800s, he found a tax list that supported that conclusion.

     The trip back failed to disclose the whereabouts of the storm-stolen-lost panel. We ate at Bridgeport and ran into fog from Morgantown to Frederick, MD. I got home just before midnight.

     Charles Eustuce Church Yoho was the first son of Charles Anderson Yoho and Alice Elizabeth Tucker Church Yoho, both of whom Denver wrote about, to be born in Gallia County, OH. 23 March 1881, a Wednesday child. Uncle Eustuce, as we called him, was followed by Aunt Bertha Frances Church Yoho, 31 August 1882 at Swan Creek, a Thursday child. My Dad, Wilbert Wiley Church Yoho, was the third, 19 June 1885, a Friday. Then came a daughter, also on Friday, Aunt Vesta Jane Church Yoho, 7 December 1886. Another Uncle, Uncle Harry Church Yoho, was born 6 Nov 1888, Tuesday, and he was also married in 1915 in Gallia County, OH. Uncle Clyde Church Yoho was a Saturday Child, 30 August 1890, Swan Creek, Guyan Township, Gallia County, OH. Denver was the oldest of the eleven children born to Uncle Clyde and Aunt Stella, Margaret Estella Jarvis Stevens Yoho. The baby of this Charles Anderson Yoho family, Aunt Nellie Church Yoho, 9 November 1893, born on a Thursday and died on Thursday. The 7 and their spouses and God produced 31 children, 102 grandchildren and 2 1/2 times as many great grandchildren. Denver was the first to die on the original Charles Anderson Yoho family in Gallia County, OH, which he and Mary adopted in 1956. Aunt Vesty lived the longest, 98, and the rest of the memorable brood lived past their 80th birthday, except Dad. He died at 79 years and 187 days. He died furthermost from his native home, Gallipolis, OH then the others, all of whom were fairly local. Only two of Charlieís male angels married twice, Dad and Clyde, Denverís Dad, both as widowers. Dad had his 12th child through that last union, Robert Wayne Bowen Yoho, who was born in 1937 In MD and who lives with his wife, Alice, and his immediate family in the Clearwater part of FL. Dadís marriage brought other friendly and lovable souls into the family because his 2nd wife, Effie, had four children by a previous union, the Gwinns. I wonder why they call this relationship a union, my being from the Southern persuasion, maybe I should call it a confederacy; funny, it means about the same thing. I wonder what they were fighting about? It must have been the color of their uniform.

     The Lord let us have Denver longer than any of our other cousins. Easter 2001 was almost here. The earth was budding and blooming locally, and Christ was to be tried, crucified, and entombed 3 and He was raised and He was with us for 40 days, witnessed by more than 500, and now is representing us before the Father, leaving the Holy Ghost to guide us until the Rapture. We were experiencing Palm Sunday, at the Hyattsville Presbyterian Church, 1704, preparing for the Cantata at Shirleyís United Baptist Church of New Carrollton, MD, Maundy Thursday at Hyattsville, Good Friday services at Shirleyís church and then Easter, He is Risen, He is Risen, Indeed. Praise Him and glorify His name, Amen.

Billy Lee Church Bryan Hawkins Yoho, 24 Oct 1925, first cousin