Submitted by Phyllis Slater.
Glen Easton is located about twelve miles east of the Ohio River in Marshall county, on Big Grave Creek. The creek was probably named for the many Indian burials in the area and is the third creek in the county bearing the name. There is Grave Creek, Little Grave Creek and Big Grave Creek.
The first log cabin there was built by a man named Moore and stood where the home of Ellen Shriver later stood. At that time it was all forest with few cabin homes. Later it grew to a good sized community with a log building serving as school, church and community building. A grist mill to grind their grain was on the Earliwine farm located on French Run on what became known as Fork Ridge. Evidence of the mill can still be seen. Other shops such as blacksmith and shoemakers were also there.
There was also a "wool-stone house" on the Anguish farm where farmers brought in their wool which was worked up and taken to the clothing factory in Moundsville. Tom Carmichael later bought this property. A saw mill and grist mill was owned by J.M. Harris and Sons which later was replaced by the Glen Robbins Mill which was in operation over fifty years.
A favorite site was a "Bear Wallow" on property later owned by Anderson Fuller.
Among those from the community who served in the War of 1812 were David Easton, Joe VanSyoc, Porter Easton (for whom the community was named) and those who made a name for themselves have been Samuel R. Hanen who served as Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic and served three years in the W.Va. Legislature and as speaker of the House in 1897. Harry McDowell was elected Co. Superintendent of Schools; George Games was elected to one term of the House of Delegates and H.E. Carmichael served two terms as Superintendent of Schools.