From the Papers of the Late Opal Anquish Masters
Submitted by Chris (Sims) Freshwater.
Glen Easton, of which this historical data is written is located in a beautiful valley, at the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains. Twelve miles east of the Ohio River, on a stream called Big Grave Creek. This stream was named from Indian graves. The valley shows evidence of glacier times. The grounds were used for hunting and fishing, which are favorite sports of all Indian tribes.
The first cabin to be built in the village of Glen Easton, stood near the home of Mrs. Ellen Shriver and was erected by a man name Moore. What is said to be one of the oldest real estate titles of the Ohio Valley was the Cranberry tract that formed the divide of the town of Glen Easton.
In the settlement of this community a boundless and luxurious forest had scarcely been touched. Nature stood thus robed with hills of sublime beauty. A log farm house here and there clustered its neighborhoods, and occasional log church and school house of one room size supported the religious and education demands of the people
An old water mill used by Pioneer settlers to grind their food for bread stood on the Earlywine farm on French run on Fork Ridge. The marks can still be plainly seen where the power wheels revolved.
A great cavern of stone said to have been quarried by the Parriot tribe of settlers seventy-five years ago, in search of hidden money and located on the Dr.Will F.Crow farm, one mile west of Glen Easton. No money was found.
Near Glen Easton, on a farm owned by Uriah Harris, Indians came for miles to look for hidden rock with a turkey foot carved in them. An old wool stone house formerly stood on the old Anguish farm near Glen Easton near the house now owned by T.E.Carmichael. Wool was delivered there by the farmers and taken to Elizabethtown, now known as Moundsville, to be made into clothing.
Early Bethel Church
The first church was built of logs in 1842. Early membership includes Eli Harris, Adam Tidis, William Harris, William Lydick, John Richmond, Peter Standiford, Wm. Jenny, Johnson Echols, Wm.Lutes, John Lutes, David Todd, Daniel Todd, David Gorby, Joshua Goddard, John Billiter, Asa Marple, Harmen Williams, J.P. Wayman, Eli Hollingshead, Thomas Wilson, Solomen Chambers, and others now forgotten. In 1880 Adam Tidis donated two acres of ground for the Bethel Church and cemetery. The new church which is used for worship now,was erected in the year of 1880, taking the place of the log building.
A place called Bear Wallow, was on the farm now owned by Anderson Fuller. At this place bear could be seen in the summer. The first protracted meeting to be held in the new Bethel church was held by a man called Sweeny. Some of the early ministers who served the church were: Alfred Harris, Alfred Cummins, Wm.Anguish, John Dixon, J.J. Spear, Jefferson T. Roberts, and Wm.Lutes.
Rev.W. E. Pierce of Cameron and rev. Hugh Wayt of Ohio are products of this church and both are active in preaching the gospel.
A saw mill and grist mill formerly stood where the Glen Rollins mill stood now owned by J.M. Harris and son stands in Glen Easton. This mill has been active for over fifty years.
Among those from this community in the war of 1812 were David Easton, Joe VanSyoc, and a man named Porter. Easton was buried at Glen Easton, a town bearing his name.
Honorable S. R. Hanen and T.S. Bonar of this community served as Commanders of the State Dept of the Grand Army of the Replublic.
Noted sons of Glen Easton are S.R. Hanen, who served three terms in the West Virginia legislature, was Speaker of the House in 1897.
Harry McDowell was elected of the house of delegates.
H. E. Carmichael served as Supt. of schools-one term.