Glen Dale

Submitted by Phyllis Slater.

Glen Dale is north of Moundsville in Washington District. The main highway is West Virginia Route 2.

The Cockayne family came from Derbyshire, England among the original colonial settlers in Maryland. In 1785, Samuel Cockayne came from near Annapolis and bought 500 acres of land lying on the Ohio River, just north of Grave Creek (Moundsville). Vincent Lowe Cockayne, the youngest of five sons, was born and reared on the 500 acre tract and, on his father's death, he inherited that part of the land which included the original home. The homestead was known as "Valley Farm".

Glen Dale was first laid out as a town in 1891 on land belonging to William Erskine. The title remained with the Erskine as trustee until April of 1924. Then the land was sold to the Glendale Improvement Company. Before Erskine acquired the land it was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Blake of Benwood, Benjamin S. Allison and David Heiskell. In February 1924, Glendale was incorporated and the first election of town officials was held April 9, 1924. The first elected officials were Wallace H. Smith, Mayor; Grace Weneke, recorder; and John Caldabaugh, Peter Garrett, John Forster, Granville Snodgrass and Frank Zane, members of council. At this time Glendale had about 1084 residents but the present population is about twice that number.

Glendale has three churches, GlenDale United Methodist, St. Jude Catholic and Praise Fellowship.

There are two parks in the city, Glen Dale City Park and St. Jude Park. A fine elementary school is located in Glen Dale. John Marshall High School is also located in Glen Dale.

The B. M. Spurr School of Practical Nursing is affiliated with Reynolds Memorial Hospital and both are located within the town of Glen Dale. Reynolds Memorial Hospital occupies an entire square between Ninth and Tenth Streets, fronting on Wheeling Avenue. It is one of the most up-to-date and well-equipped hospitals in the area.

Although Glen Dale has lost numerous sources of employment, there remain many fine business establishments that appeal to both residents and tourists.

From The History of Marshall County, 1984.

BACK