Submitted by Phyllis Slater.
The first settlers of the Graysville community were the Bakers and the Yohos who came about 1780. Soon they were joined by the Hornbrooks and others. The fertile creek bottoms were cleared and cultivated; a mill was built by Hornbrook and from this the village took its first name, Hornbrooks' Mill.
The first school was erected by John Hornbrook who was also a teacher. The second building on Graysville Hill Road is used today as a home. The third school opened in 1917 and was used until it closed in 1976. Today it serves as a community center.
In 1882 the first iron bridges in Marshall County were erected by order of the county court. One of the bridges was over Fish Creek at Hornbrooks' Mill and is still being used. The bridges were built at a cost of $15,000 each and many thought the county would be ruined by "the recklessness of the county court in expending public money."
In midwinter after the ice had frozen thick on the creek, the men and boys of the community came with longsaws and heavy tongs to harvest the ice. Huge blocks of ice were sawed and hauled on a sled to an ice house and packed in sawdust for a hot summer day. In 1886, a post office was established in the Gatts and Gray Store. G.F. Gray was named postmaster: the post office named Graysville.
Gone are the mill, store, blacksmith shop, post office and some of the old homes. But the church built in 1872 still stands guard on the valley below. One can only dream of the changes that another two hundred years may bring to the small community of Graysville.