Submitted by Phyllis Dye Slater.
Source: "Reynolds: an Indispensable Asset to a Grateful Community".
Published in (Wheeling) Intelligencer and News-Register, February 26, 1998.
Reynolds Memorial Hospital
In the early 1890s, the rector of Moundsville's Trinity Episcopal Church, Archdeacon B. M. Spurr, set aside a few rooms in his rectory for the elderly and infirm, especially prisoners from the State Penitentiary in Moundsville where he served as chaplain.
Because of the overwhelming need for expansion, the archdeacon purchased the Burley farmhouse in Glen Dale in 1895 with funds provided by his wife, Isabelle Stewart Spurr, through the sale of her family farm in North Dakota. This property was called, "God's Providence Home".
Still further expansion was needed and Archdeacon Spurr appealed to Episcopalians at St. George's Church in New York City.
Emily Van Buren Reynolds, daughter of President Martin Van Buren, and her daughter, Josephine Reynolds, took up the Archdeacon's cause and donated $25,000 for the start of a hospital. Donations from other New Yorkers followed.
When the 72-bed hospital opened in 1899, Spurr changed the name to Reynolds Memorial Hospital in memory of Mrs. Reynolds' husband and two sons who had died of Typhoid Fever. The Reynolds family members supported the hospital throughout their lives.
In the fall of 1963, the current Reynolds Memorial Hospital facility, known as the Spurr Pavilion, was built by the efforts of the community. It continues to grow and reflects the latest in health care technology.
More About Archdeacon Spurr & Reynolds Memorial Hospital
Submitted by John Hess Johnson.
Source: Records of The Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia, 1902.
Rev. B. M. Spurr
There is located at Moundsville the State Penitentiary, with 753 prisoners, and to these Archdeacon Spurr and his wife minister constantly, the latter having entire spiritual charge of the women therein confined. The men are visited each day or so by Mr. Spurr as chaplain, who supplies them each week with from 500 to 600 magazines and papers. Cell to cell visitations is a great help to these men, and they are thus given an opportunity to tell the burden of their sin or the worry that perplexes and annoys. Every first Sunday in the month, from eighty to ninety-five receive the sacrament, whilst each year sees from seventy to one hundred baptized. lf the Church cannot help these needy ones, the outlook for them is terrible, indeed. At each of the executions which have so far occurred in the prison, Archdeacon Spurr has had charge of the condemned men till the bolt was sprung. Convicts leaving the prison, and desiring employment, have it found for them, and are sent with new hope to begin anew to establish citizenship. Very often, when men come to prison, they leave a wife and a number of children in destitute condition, and, when the necessary information can be obtained, a box of garments and shoes are sent to these innocent sufferers.
Very often, when men are discharged from prison, they are physical wrecks, and these are taken to The Home, in Glendale, and kept until they are either strong again or pass out into "The Larger Life."
The Reynolds Memorial Hospital - This most modern and thoroughly equipped hospital is the outcome of "The God's Providence Home," an old country brick mansion and six acres and a half of land, situated two miles from Moundsville, at Glendale, a very beautiful suburb of that city. It is on the banks of the Ohio and within a short distance of three railways and an electric road. The first building was purchased and equipped at the expense of Archdeacon Spurr and wife, and run most successfully for over one year, when Emily Van Buren Reynolds and her daughter Miss Josephine, gave the necessary means to build the new hospital, which, with the building, out-buildings, fine conservatory and unexcelled equipment, is valued at $65,000. This institution is finished in quartered oak, tiled operating and bath-rooms, furniture all aseptic, as far as possible, the remaining furniture of golden oak. Every surgical and medical device useful to save life, has been procured, and its accomodation for seventy patients, is absolutely complete. The poorest may come here without money and without price, whilst the regular fees of from $8 to $25 per week are charged, according to choice of room or ward, by the paying patient. Any person sent, with or without pay, by a clergyman of the Church, will be promptly and properly taken care of. This hospital has its own electric light plant and water from Cool Springs, and thorough sewage and ventilating system. During the first year of its existence, it has cared for 353 cases, and lost but nine by death. It is controlled by Archdeacon Spurr, and has, also, in connection with the hospital, a training school for nurses, which was erected last year, at a cost of $10,000. Here young women are given a proper clinical and practical knowledge of a skilled nurse.
BIOGRAPHY OF ISABELLE STEWART SAMPSON SPURR
Provided by Wes Anderson, Barnes County Historical Society, Valley City, North Dakota.
Pioneer Nurses of West Virginia