Submitted by Phyllis Slater.
Majorsville is situated along Big Wheeling Creek at the Pennsylvania state line, named for Major Elijah Alley of Fish Creek, who was a large landowner. The community prospered in the 1800s on logging and grain mills. Oil and gas was discovered around 1900, the first well drilled on the Mort Allison farm. Soon the entire area was dotted with oil derricks. All supplies had to be hauled over dirt roads by horse and wagon. Albert Shenk of Wheeling held nearly all the land in the area leased for drilling.
The first church was established about 1835 and in 1913 the New Salem Methodist church was built. Majorsville had a subscription school and later a publc school, which is closed now. The town also boasted the usual stores, a filling station and blacksmith shop. The post office, established in 1879 is now closed. The area is now served by rural free delivery from Dallas.