Submitted by Phyllis Slater.
In the name of God Amen.
I Moses Shepherd of Ohio County, in the State of Virginia, do make and constitute this my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to say:
1. I will and direct that all my just debts be paid
2. I give and bequeath to my wife my lands lying above big Wheeling Creek and adjoining the same and little Wheeling Creek being divided from the estate on which I now live, by both the said creeks together with the improvements thereon, including the grist and saw mills, the tavern house now occupied by Mrs. Gooding, to have and to hold the same, with the appurtenances to her and heirs and assigns forever.
3. All the household and kitchen furniture remaining in my possession, at the time of my decease, I devise and bequeath to my said wife and her assigns.
4. My negro man Jack and his wife Susan and their family, children or other descendants--I give to my said wife and her assigns.
5. All my other lands except my home plantation including those I claim in a suit with a person of the name of Richelos, if recovered, devise to my executrix to be sold and the proceeds thereof together with the proceeds of such part of my personal estate as she may think proper to sell after payment of just debts to be by her vested in Bank stock.
6. And whereas I have sold some tracts of land which I have not conveyed and on some of which the whole, and on some, part of the purchase money is due. I do therefore, hereby authorize and empower my executrix to excute all such contracts to all interests (intents?) and purposes as I could do if in life, and if any such lands should fall back to my estate for want of payment by or without suit, I do devise and direct that they be sold and the proceeds after payments of just debts be vested as aforesaid.
7. I do devise and bequeath my home estate whereon I now live, to my said wife for and during her natural life, the same being my estate laying between the forks of Wheeling creek.
8. After payment of just debts when the proceeds of the sale aforesaid and of the sale of such personal estate as my executrix may dispose of, shall be vested as above, and also the proceeds of the sale of all my slaves except those above mentioned, which I hereby direct to be made and vested as aforesaid I give and bequeath the same to my said wife together with the use, dividends or profits of all the monies aforesaid so to be vestd to hold the same so as to be vested to her and her assigns.
9. After the decease of my said wife my will is that my said home plantation or estate be sold and the proceeds of such sale to be equally divided between the children of my sisters Elizabeth Lee, Ruth Mills and Sarah Springer so that if any of them be dead the issue of such deceased are to take part of his, her or their parcel.
Hereby revoking all others I do make, ordain, publish and declare this to be my only last will and testament and I do appoint my said wife Lydia Shepherd to be the whole and sole executrix thereof and so declare that she shall not, by the Court, be held to give security.
Witness my hand and seal this first day of January 1830.
(sig) Moses Shepherd
signed, sealed, published and declared in presence of us:
Archie Woods........John Good
John Carter............Thos. Thornburg
Wheeling, W.Va. Records