Submitted by Valerie Crook.
Source: The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York,
Volume III, pg. 27
The Moundsville Public Library is an institution of which the progressive little City of Moundsville. Marshall County, is justly proud. It was established in 1917 by the Teachers' Club, under the leadership of Mrs. Frank T. Fulton, to whose initiative and zealous efforts, as an organizer and later as president of the Library Board, the success of the institution is largely due.
In addition to the Teachers' Club various other organizations have given moral and financial aid to the library, especially the Woman's Club and the Tuesday Arts Club, both of which have made annual donations to the institution from its inception, and are still lending their support, the Woman's Club being the first organization in the city to promise encouragement and a definite sum to the promoters.
Through the efforts of the Library Board several hundred dollars have been subscribed annually by generous citizens, these last mentioned donations making by far the most important source of income to supplement the fund raised by a city tax levy which is now imposed for library purposes.
The library now has a collection of 3,000 volumes, in the assortment of which especial attention is given to the needs of young people, while the general service is of excellent order. Mrs. Ida Hankins is the loyal and efficient librarian, ever working to make the library play its proper part in the com- munity life of the city. The library is open daily from 2:30 to 9 P. M., and is the center of much of the cultural life of Moundsville and Marshall County.