by Scott Powell, 1925


Contributed by Linda Fluharty.


Pages 13-14

Nathaniel Parr Kills Two Indians

The first blood said to have been shed in making a settle ment at the Flats of Grave Creek was that of two Indians killed by Nathaniel Parr. A few years after the Parr family settled on the hill back of the Flats, the oldest son, Nathaniel, went out one afternoon to hunt and late in the evening he saw a deer drinking from a pool of water in Little Grave Creek, which he shot, dressed and hung up out of reach of wolves and went home intending to return and get it the next morning. Five Indians came along early in the morning and found the deer hanging where left and knowing that some one would be after it, lay in ambush to await the arrival, and when young Parr attempted to take the deer down, they fired at him, one of the bullets striking him and breaking a hip. He was by a large tree against which he leaned, resting on one foot, and quickly raised his gun and shot one of the Indians. Quickly he reloaded his gun and shot another of them. His strength giving away he fell to the ground by a pile of small stone with which he made a vigorous defense against the attack of the other three, who attempted to attack him with their tomahawks. They were young Indians and appeared cowardly and the fact that he struck them a number of times with stones, and kept up such a fusilade of stones they withdrew and carried the two dead companions with them. After the first fire they did not attempt to use their guns and it was thought that they had no more ammunition. The three were seen later in the day. Parr was made a cripple for life by the encounter.

Indians Attack Adam Rowe's Family

In November, 1776, Adam Rowe started with his family from the waters of Buffalo Creek in what is now part of Washington County, Pennsylvania, with his wife and four sons, for Kentucky, leaving a married daughter behind. They traveled down on the southeast side of the Ohio River and reached a point near the mouth of Grave Creek where they were attacked by Indians. Mrs. Rowe and the oldest son were killed on the spot. Jacob, a ten-year-old boy, escaped by running into a thicket of willows, pursued by an Indian, who had his youngest brother, Robert, on his back. Jacob did not leave his hiding place until late in the day when he was sure no Indians were near. He started to return to his old home but night soon overtook him and he found a bed at the roots of a fallen tree where he spent the night in the leaves that had gathered in a hollow place by the roots of the tree. Late the next evening he reached the home of his married sister. His father and the remaining son reached their former home on Buffalo Creek and remained there some time and then emigrated to Kentucky. Jacob remained on Buffalo Creek and later became identified in the war with the Indians and was one of the three daring men who saved a number of women from the tomahawk at Miller's Block-house near his old home, several years later.

Nothing was ever heard of Robert and it was thought that he was also killed by the Indians.