Submitted by Phyllis Slater.
Viola is another creek community that figured prominently in the history of Sand Hill district. The community in the past enjoyed the services of a post office, school, village blacksmith and general store. The early schools in the community were subscription schools; in 1886 Viola School was built on the Robert Raylor farm near the mouth of Turkey Run, closed in 1955. In 1957 the land on which the school stood was purchased by the Wheeling Creek Watershed Protection and Flood Prevention Commission and is now the site of the Turkey Run Dam.
The area was also visited annually by bands of gypsies as late as 1924. These itinerant people came during the summer months in horse drawn wagons and camped in the bottom area at the forks of Turkey Run and Big Wheeling Creek. The local folk did not take kindly to the visitors who cooked outdoors, dressed in bright colors and were quite noisy.