Of Interest to Visitors in City of Moundsville

Submitted by Eric Anderson.

Moundsville Daily Echo, Saturday, April 26, 1924

     Moundsville was settled by Joseph Tomlinson in 1771, his cabin being near the high school building; in early days was called Flats of Grave Creek and later the village in the present region of Jefferson avenue from First to Third streets was called Elizabethtown; gradually the town by the wharf and the town a mile northeast, Elizabethtown, extended until they joined and were called Moundsville. Present population of entire valley about 15,000.

      Mammoth Mound, highest of the prehistoric mounds of North America, is within the city; height 79 feet, circumference 900 feet; now owned by the State and is in original form. Three skeletons in two vaults formed of logs were found in the mound when opened in 1838; also a few beads, disks and a small stone engraved with hieroglyphics.

      B&O railroad reached Ohio river at this point in 1852. State highway starts east from here and State Highway along Ohio river traverses some of the streets.

     U. S. Aviation field, midway terminal on army model airway from Washington to Dayton. Several ships arrive and depart daily, except in rough weather. Complete wireless and Weather station.

      Front of West Virginia state prison is one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture to be seen anywhere. Visits thru prison (fee 25c for library fund from 9 o'clock in the mornings on Sunday, and from 10 o'clock in the mornings on week days; in the afternoon from 1 until 3).

      In the center of the most beautiful scenery of the Ohio valley; hills reach proportions of mountains, 600 to 700 feet above river level, which is 620 feet above sea level. Ohio river in opinion of some geologists originally flowed north to the St. Lawrence; creeks and runs flow into river in northeastwardly course, indicating main stream once flowed north by northeast.

      Wonderful view from all hill tops. Best is from turn in road at top of Fork Ridge hill. Another is from hilltop on Round Bottom road where river north and river southwest can be seen from same place.

      Drive up Middle Grave creek, past mouth of Toms run and continue to Knoxville. Drive by Roberts ridge or by Fork ridge to Bowman ridge and Arnold Point, viewing formation of ridges, points, knobs and valleys converging at Lynn Camp.

      Slab monument in Mt. Rose cemetery:

THIS
HUMBLE STONE
is Erected
TO THE MEMORY
OF
Captain Foreman
And
Twenty-One of His Men
Who were slain by a band of ruthless savages and allies of a civilized nation of Europe
ON THE 26TH OF SEPT. 1777
So sleep the brave who sink to rest By all their country's wishes blest.

This monument is as originally erected above narrows on the Ohio river four miles above Moundsville on the ground where the fatal action occurred. And with the remains of Capt. Foreman and his fallen men placed here June 1st 1875 by Capt. P. B. Catlett under the order of the County Court of Marshall County.

Drink crystal water from any spigot. Comes from 20 feet under an immense gravel bar in middle of Ohio river, naturally filtered and never changes clarity or taste, regardless of turbidity of the river.

Camp Grounds, an original woods of 281/2 acres, large auditorium, many cottages, hotel, garages, water, natural gas and electric systems.

Industrially: Glass tableware, enameled kitchen and hospital ware, zinc smelter and acid plant, fireproofing building tile, garments, grain cradles, coal mining, 2 ice factories, tannery, dairy products, stogies, truck bodies, bottling, wall plaster, sand and gravel, planing mills, lumber, gasoline, greenhouses.

14 churches.
4 public school buildings and one parochial school.
Glendale hospital and nurses' home.

BACK