School Marks Growth of Walnut Grove Community,
Without Arrest in 75 Years


Wheeling News-Register, June 6, 1937

Submitted by Phyllis Dye Slater.


     A little country school that today sends youngsters of the Walnut Grove community in Sand Hill district, Marshall county, on their way to becoming useful citizens in all walks of life is steeped in early American history of the Wheeling district.
     Passing through decades which have seen many changes and a steady procession of homes, the Walnut Grove school has many prominent residents, not only of its community but throughout the country, numbered among its graduates.
     Early settlers of that part of Sand Hill district included the Buchanan family which donated ground for the first building, in 1867, and consequently created a meeting center for the farmers of the immediate area and launched a 75-year record of unusual historic lore. One of the outstanding features of the Walnut community is the fact that not one arrest was ever made during the 75 years.
     Much credit to the welfare of the community and its citizens is attributed to the school which has resulted in literary societies and later parent-teacher associations to be formed to foster a closer relation between pupils and their families.
     The school building is situated on a knoll overlooking Britt's Run. It is only five miles from Elm Grove and two miles from Big Wheeling creek. When first built in 1867 the Walnut Grove school building was the sixth in the Sand Hill district and became known as sub-district No. 6. Although the donor of the site for the first building requested that the school bear his name, the citizens decided upon the name of Walnut Grove.
     A belfry and bell for the building was purchased from the proceeds of a social event held by the residents of the community a short time after the building was erected.
     John Hand was one of the early school trustees. When the building was first erected, his osn, John, was the first pupil to enter for classes. The school was once used as a place of worship with itenerant preachers serving the parishioners who came from miles around, on foot, horseback, buggies, wagons and during winters many arrived on sleds. Many would make all-day stays at the church attending later services in the afternoon and evening and families would bring lunches.
     Among those who have served as teachers of Walnut Grove school are: Mary Orr, Miss Hedge, Alda Wilson, Amanda maxwell, Thomas Shannon, J. K. Potter, Joe Wilson, John Douglas, Nanna Danley, Bell Forman, Eddie Wyrick, Clara Campbell, Sadie Bumgardner,Barbara Smith, Molly Douglas, Stella Marsh, Cora Finley, Margaret Moorehouse, Walker Muldoon, Hiley Baird, a Miss Brown, a Miss Wagner, Kathryn Otto, Emma Behrens, Margaret Billick, Laura Gieseler, Cleve Crawford, Ethel Buchanan, Vern (Fern?) Farmer, Sarah Manning, S. R. Lydick, seven terms which is the largest tenure of any teacher that ever taught this school; Mary Mercer, Lillie Lydick, Marjorie Chapman, Arlie Lydick, Isabel Dague, Olive Dague and Edna Jones.      J. D. Muldoon, a teacher in Marshall college and a past member of the state department of education under Superintendent George M. Ford, received his education in Walnut Grove school.