The Town of Leon was laid out in 1840 by BENJAMIN BYRAM and enlarged in 1871 by COLONEL ROBERT PATTON having in that year purchased an adjoining tract of land and laid out a portion of it in town lots.Leon was incorporated on May 21, 1872 and was one square mile. Located on the north bank of the Kanawha River at the mouth of Thirteen Mile Creek, it is the only town in Cologne District.After the incorporation of the town, the first officials were: Mayor, ALFRED DUNLAP: Recorder, JAMES A. LUSK; Councilmen: GEORGE ROWLEY, G. C. WELLS, RICHARD SIMMS, JOHN MORRISON and J. C. SWENTZEL.
The first street lamps were installed in March 1898. These oil lamps mounted on posts were filled with oil each evening. Enough oil was added to burn until about nine o'clock. In the beginning there were nine lamps but others were added later. HARVEY C. RAIRDEN had the contract for caring for the lamps at thirty six dollars a year.
The Leon-Baden Telephone Company was given the right to construct lines in Leon in May 1900.
JOHN NELSON, the son-in-law of WILLIAM ARBUCKLE, built the first cabin in 1798 on the hill overlooking the river. This site was the land later owned by the Casto family. Just one year earlier JOHN GREENLEE had built a cabin near the present day Crookham home.
In 1818 CAPTAIN WILLIAM ARBUCKLE made salt here by boiling brine in iron kettles. The well 300 feet deep was located 50 yards above the bridge. According to MORGAN GREENLEE an old gum tree stump marked the place for many years. The well was tubed with copper to the depth of 200 feet. JOHN GREENLEE got the first barrel of salt that was made. Thirteen barrels of the best salt were made when the work stopped. The neighbors were supplied with all the salt they needed. It is known that MAURICE GREENLEE and WILLIAM SEE helped with the making of salt.At the time the town was organized the town officials made provisions for a cemetery. On a high hill overlooking the Town of Leon a small plot of ground was selected. The town fathers realizing this was a lovely spot chose it as a place to bury their dead. A sexton was appointed for one year and he received the sum of five dollars for his service. For town residents the lots were three dollars, for non-residents the cost was five dollars.
In August 1893 the town purchased land from JEREMIAH and ANNIE YAUGER and J. R. and SARAH HYATT. This was at the south end of Aylor Street and added more land to the cemetery and added a road leading from Aylor Street over to the cemetery. In February 1908, the town again purchased land from SARAH HYATT to be used for a cemetery. The first tool house at the cemetery was built in 1913 by GRANT BEAVER and JAMES ELLIS.
Last Update: May 26, 2011