The small settlement on the upper slope of Sliding Hill was once known as Gabbart's (Capehart's) Mill. Later it was called New London. It acquired its lasting name when the Mason County Mining and Manufacturing Company opened the Union Salt Company and named it New Haven after their home city in Connecticut.
When GEORGE WILDING SR. was sent to the upper slope of Sliding Hill to open a mine in 186/87 there were about four houses, the old Roger house, the HENRY CAPEHART house, The Phillip house and the old Kenny log house.
The salt furnace was built on the site of the Roger's house. The land owned by the company was surveyed and lots laid out. HENRY CAPEHART, who owned most of the land on which New Haven now stands, began surveying his farm and making building lots, evidently anticipating the growth of the town.
Wilding was responsible for a building in "Tom Kinnny Hollow" (now part of the New Haven Roadside Park) for use of a school during the week and a church on Sunday.
The first school was a subscription school, paid for by the parents. The first teacher was DAN DUSKEY who ruled with an iron hand. He followed Solomon's advice to "spare not the rod". By January 1870 the children of New Haven were being taught in a new brick building - a public school. The third floor was used by the Odd Fellows as a lodge hall.
After the Civil War there was a religious revival and both the United Brethern and the Methodists built churches in the town. The Lutheran also built a church and there is now a Chuurch of God in town.
HENRY CAPEHART owned the flour mill on the river bank in 1861, but he sold it about 1870 to the ADAM and JACOB LEITWILER who ran it for many years. The mill was damaged by floods and rebuilt; it was last operated as a mill by HERMAN LAYNE and LLOYD ROUSH. It has now been rebuilt as a dwelling house by Mr. W. H. LOWMAN.
In addition to the salt company mine, the Flint Hill Mine was an important independent one. It was located in the upper end of New Haven.
New Haven was incorporated in 1935 and the first mayor was E. C. RIDDLE.
When the Union Salt Company finally closed their business, it was a blow for many workers. Unlike other salt towns, they had other industries..
The Superior Porcelain Company located a plant in New Haven in 1927. It made insulators for power companies, house wiring and radios. This provided work for many years to local residents. The plant was closed and eventually burned down.
The Philip Sporn Electric Power plant, located above New Haven was a boon to the town providing jobs during its construction and after it was completed. It also caused a building boom in the area above town for the much needed homes for the workers.
The Vanadium Plant also was a great help in the economy, as is the Mountaineer Plant, built for the Appalachian Power Company. The town has made great progress with good prospects for the future.
The Charles Juhling Store Built circa 1870-1880 Last owned and operated by A K McClung
Old Homes of New Haven Manuel Nease Home
Post Offices of Mason County
Last Update: May 26, 2011