Keystone, WV, McDowell County - 1903



TREMONTERS-KEYSTONIANS

Through the kindness of a friend, we have been made acquainted with the successes of former Tremonters who are now striving for fame and riches in the southern coal fileds of Keystone, West Virginia. Keystone is a mining town of about 2,000 population and is situated on the main line of the Norfolk and Western Railroad. It has 4 public schools, two white and two colored. It is six miles from Elkhorn and has a great railroad traffic, 150 trains passing daily through it. Here are the great Keystone coal and coke operations at which most of our former townspeople are employed. Ray Cooper is the chief clerk in the store, and very successful. We hear he will soon hitch up the double horses. George Smith is inside foreman for the same company. Samuel and George Cooper, Alfred Sanner and the Harris brothers, the latter formerly of Rausch Creek are also working for the company and are getting along nicely. Samuel and Ben Evans formerly of Rausch Creek are the owners and managers of the electric plant, which is an up-to-date one and is a paying investment. Ben Tipton is the properietor of two hotels one at Worth and one at Davy. He also owns two fine properties besides the hotels.

West Schuylkill Press - Saturday October 10, 1903 p1 Issue #52

Submitted by Cheryl Wiscount, Tremont, Schuylkill County, PA

 

 

McDowell County


Inquiries