Charles S. Hoffman started his practice of medicine in Keyser in
1877. He was no strange to the County, having been bought by his
parents from Harrisonburg, WV in the fall of 1865. He was educated in
the Public School until 15 years old. After that age, he worked in
the West & Hufffman's Drug store for two years. In 1873 &
1874, he attended Medical College atLouisville, KY. Returning to his
home, he sent to work in Hubert Moss Drug Store, wherehe acquired
quite a number of patients and later with his brother Richard started
Hoffman Bros. Drug Store. In 1876 and 1977, he went of Jefferson
Medical College, Philadelphia, graduation from there at the head of
his class. He was located for three months in Philadelphia, but ill
health sent him to the wide open spaces, so he came to Keyser, where
he remained until his death.
Dr. Hoffman joined the WV Medical Society in 1894. Was elected President of that body in 1899. His presidential address at Morgantown, stressed the need of a State Tuberculosis Hospital. A committee was immediately formed to wait upon the Legislature and the Hospital at Hopemont is the active result. Dr. Hoffman was elected to represent the State Medical Society at the American Medical Assn. in 1910. He became a fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1913, and served on Board of Censors for same until his death. Was Charter Member of the G H H& M Medical Society. A member of the State Executive Committee and Chairman of Local Advisory committee during WW. Dr. Hoffman was surgeon for the B&O RR from 4-25-1880, also surgeon for the W MD RR. he was regarded the pioneer of surgery in the State of WV. He wrote several articles for publication "Ovariectomy of Cystic Sareoma in Child of 33 months". (WV transactions 1897). Reported Double Dislocations of Hips and Special Plan of reduction, being only surgeon in that world, at that time, to have two cases of this injury. (Transactions American Journal of Surgery), Etc.
The first appendiceal operation of this section of WV and MD was performed by Dr. Hoffman on 10 Nov 1895. The patient being Mr. J J Johnson.
Having so many calls for operations and meeting with general success, Dr. Hoffman began to think of a hospital of his own. When it became known, in Keyser, that the site had been selected, the owners of adjoining property advertised their land for sale. Few had any idea what a hospital, or living next to one would be like. All things disagreeable at least.
DR Z T KALBAUGH of Piedmont became associated with Dr. Hoffman toward the completion of the building which was opened to the public on Dec 3, 1903. Miss Jennie Morrison, Windsor Canada, was the first Superintendent. Misses Katherine Grove and (?Martha) Middleton graduate nurses and Miss Elizabeth Meeks, student were the staff. The hospital continued to grow from the very first and last became a necessity in the community. During Dr. Hoffman's lifetime, over some seven thousand operations were performed, most of them by him, and many medical cases treated. Dr. Hoffman was active to the last minute of his life. Known and loved by all, no man in Keyser was ever greater missed when he died suddenly on Feb 11, 1926.
HOFFMAN HOSPITAL THEN
SPECIAL THANKS TO CONNIE STROTHER FOR DONATING THE FOLLOWING "THEN" PHOTO
HOFFMAN HOSPTIAL NOW
NOW PERKY'S HEALTH AND FITNESS SPA AND APARTMENTS
RETURN TO MINCO PICTORIAL
RETURN TO MINERAL